Konas

On the lookout for awesome new games

3 minutes ago, marsniper_27 said:

Man I saw ish I could go in on this it looks and sounds amazing I watched OTT's let's play this morning.

I am staying strong ... for now.  But it does look really cool.  I've long been in love with Infiniti's tone, but don't need another skirmish game - this makes a lot more sense based on our play habits.

Edited by Zoxe

10 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

I am staying strong ... for now.  But it does look really cool.  I've long been in love with Infiniti's tone, but don't need another skirmish game - this makes a lot more sense based on our play habits.

Ya I was thinking the system would make it so I could play with my 9year old but get the cool infinity aesthetic.

I watched Matt colville videos of the "original" played and I want to get it. I have a group that likes to play the game of thrones board game and hope they will play dune.

I watched videos about the game and would love to play it, but I know you need a large player count, which is hard to get for me. So I pass on buying it. I bought Twilight Imperium last Thanksgiving. Watched vids and read all the rules. All set to  play....and don't have enough dedicated players for a game. Requires 3 or more to set aside 5-8 for one game. Maybe someday I will get to play the game. It still looks so cool on my shelf. I want to be a space lion!

Isaac finally announced the bighuge secret Gloomhaven expansion today.  It's called Frosthaven - aka Gloomhaven 2.0!

From his newsletter:

-----

That's right, my friend! Frosthaven is coming!

I know, I know, we just announced Jaws of the Lion, and now there's this, too! So much new Gloomhaven! Or, err, I mean Frosthaven.

While Jaws of the Lion is geared towards bringing in new players to the Gloomhaven world, Frosthaven is my chance to tell another epic story on the scale of the original game, with the same complexity and grandeur. This is Gloomhaven 2.0, with 16 new characters, over 25 new enemies, over 100 new items, somewhere around 100 new scenarios, and so much more.

So why Frosthaven? Well, that is the name of a small outpost far to the north of the capital city of White Oak. There, a group of mercenaries at the end of their rope will help bring back this settlement from the edge of destruction. Not only will they have to deal with the harsh elements, but there are other, far more dangerous threats out in the unforgiving cold as well.

There are Algox, the bigger, more yeti-like cousins of the Inox, attacking from the mountains, Lurkers flooding in from the northern sea, and there are even rumors of machines that wander the frozen wastes of their own free will. The party of mercenaries must face all of these perils, and perhaps in doing so, make peace with these new races so they can work together against even more sinister forces.

1 hour ago, Zoxe said:

Isaac finally announced the bighuge secret Gloomhaven expansion today.  It's called Frosthaven - aka Gloomhaven 2.0!

From his newsletter:

-----

That's right, my friend! Frosthaven is coming!

I know, I know, we just announced Jaws of the Lion, and now there's this, too! So much new Gloomhaven! Or, err, I mean Frosthaven.

While Jaws of the Lion is geared towards bringing in new players to the Gloomhaven world, Frosthaven is my chance to tell another epic story on the scale of the original game, with the same complexity and grandeur. This is Gloomhaven 2.0, with 16 new characters, over 25 new enemies, over 100 new items, somewhere around 100 new scenarios, and so much more.

So why Frosthaven? Well, that is the name of a small outpost far to the north of the capital city of White Oak. There, a group of mercenaries at the end of their rope will help bring back this settlement from the edge of destruction. Not only will they have to deal with the harsh elements, but there are other, far more dangerous threats out in the unforgiving cold as well.

There are Algox, the bigger, more yeti-like cousins of the Inox, attacking from the mountains, Lurkers flooding in from the northern sea, and there are even rumors of machines that wander the frozen wastes of their own free will. The party of mercenaries must face all of these perils, and perhaps in doing so, make peace with these new races so they can work together against even more sinister forces.

I suppose I'll have to play Gloomhaven first.  It's been collecting dust on my shelf of shame.  I'm having a hard time finding a group to play it with.

On 12/4/2019 at 7:11 PM, Barb Bliss said:

I suppose I'll have to play Gloomhaven first.  It's been collecting dust on my shelf of shame.  I'm having a hard time finding a group to play it with.

I have enjoyed the heck out of what little I've seen of Gloomhaven, and I really like Isaac as a game dev. My lack of play isn't a reflection on the game, just my lack of free time in large enough increments. I don't know that I'll buy 2.0 (See previous rants about no more sprawling KS games), but I'm excited by what 2.0 could offer.

Edited by Zoxe

Another one for your radar. Not a game, but very game related.  I am not a connoisseur of sleeves but have had really good luck with Paladin (I think I was in Season 2) and my KDM and Gloomhaven. They compare favorably to the Fantasy Flight sleeves that I've been using for Brimstone.  I may jump into this one to get some more KDM sleeves at a good price.

1 hour ago, Zoxe said:

Another one for your radar. Not a game, but very game related.  I am not a connoisseur of sleeves but have had really good luck with Paladin (I think I was in Season 2) and my KDM and Gloomhaven. They compare favorably to the Fantasy Flight sleeves that I've been using for Brimstone.  I may jump into this one to get some more KDM sleeves at a good price.

I pledged another 50 packs this morning.

On 12/9/2019 at 6:41 PM, Barb Bliss said:

I pledged another 50 packs this morning.

Me too.  Now they're voting to add a Brimstone-specific size.  Could be really cool if it makes the cut.

4 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

Me too.  Now they're voting to add a Brimstone-specific size.  Could be really cool if it makes the cut.

Holy cow, super creepy. I hit post here and the Update #4 email from Paladin arrived.  Brimstone sized cards are in!  I don't think this increases my pledge but will need to do a count of what I have coming in the 3rd SoBrimstone KS.

With the holidays fading into the rear-view mirror, and the large releases of GenCon / Essen months away, this is a time of year where I hunt for small-format games that can really shine.

A few notable ones have stood out of late all in the $25 range

Ankh'or is a 2-4 player game by the design team behind Jaipur.  It combines resource collection ala Splendor with a variable market board, and adds a simple set collection and tableau building element to it. Easy to teach, high replayability.  It shines with two, and looks to be chaotic fun at three-four players.

Paris: La Cite de la Lumiere is an unusual two-player tile laying game that takes place in two distinct phases.  The first phase involves players laying cobblestones to claim potential spaces in a shared board, along with drafting polyomino buildings.  The second phase involves building placement and special action selection.  Quite a lot of player interaction and puzzling.  Definitely draws some inspiration from Uwe Rosenberg, but not as much of a straight Euro as his games tend to be.  Has potential for one player to quickly runaway against an inexperienced opponent.  Great game for couples to learn together.

First Contact is my new Codenames killer.  It draws heavily on the Codenames mechanisms, and iterates nicely upon them.  Differing from Codenames, while there are two teams, it is not a team game, as one player from each side can achieve victory.  The theme is quite fun, as one side are playing Alien explorers journeying to earth, and the other side are playing as ancient Egyptians.  The aliens try to communicate their language to the humans, and then attempt to retrieve artifacts.  It is quite fun, and is great for folks familiar with the gameplay of Codenames. 

Edited by LuckyIke

15 hours ago, Serge Darveau said:

New order, will get it by the end of the week. :) 

250779244_theshining.thumb.jpg.b22c4445994e6f3a7563059773027924.jpg

Oooh, fun! I hope you enjoy it. :)