Konas

On the lookout for awesome new games

I have a love for the video game series Darksiders and I just found out that they are coming out with another game this year (a prequel game). One of the collector packs comes with a board game with a lot of miniatures.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/08/01/limited-edition-of-darksiders-genesis-includes-exclusive-board-game-darksiders-the

Sooooo tempting.

darksiders2.png

16 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

Check out Sleeping Gods on KS...  Can't get the link on work computer...

Link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/953146955/sleeping-gods

Here you go, Barb. I want to buy it, but its sooo expensive. I love Near and Far & Above and Below. Great story-tellling games. I'm sure this will be an awesome game too, but $120 for base and expansion is costly. I may wait for retail on this one. I did back Ryan's last Kickstarter for Raom.

10 minutes ago, RomyCat said:

Link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/953146955/sleeping-gods

Here you go, Barb. I want to buy it, but its sooo expensive. I love Near and Far & Above and Below. Great story-tellling games. I'm sure this will be an awesome game too, but $120 for base and expansion is costly. I may wait for retail on this one. I did back Ryan's last Kickstarter for Raom.

Thanks @RomyCat.  I won't be getting the expansion.

1 minute ago, Barb Bliss said:

Thanks @RomyCat.  I won't be getting the expansion.

While it looks solid I have to chill on kickstarters for a while.  Maybe if a game comes in at sub 50 I’ll bite.  Everything feels like it’s 80-100 these days

1 minute ago, tgpumpkin said:

While it looks solid I have to chill on kickstarters for a while.  Maybe if a game comes in at sub 50 I’ll bite.  Everything feels like it’s 80-100 these days

cmon and awaken realms are far worse than $100.  But I've enjoyed games from them a lot.

Just now, Barb Bliss said:

cmon and awaken realms are far worse than $100.  But I've enjoyed games from them a lot.

Oh I know.  All the game ks are expensive these days.  I don’t think anything is out of he ordinary with sleeping gods but i still remember feeling like buying gloomhaven for 100 was a lot for s game and now it feels like everyone makes expensive games.  

This is coming from someone who has multiple cmon games in his home :) 

2 minutes ago, tgpumpkin said:

Oh I know.  All the game ks are expensive these days.  I don’t think anything is out of he ordinary with sleeping gods but i still remember feeling like buying gloomhaven for 100 was a lot for s game and now it feels like everyone makes expensive games.  

This is coming from someone who has multiple cmon games in his home :) 

To be fair, the quality of these games, packaging, and components is extraordinary.  They are not just selling the games.  They're also selling the experience.  And the box is a work of art that seems to be replacing the LP cover art from when I was younger and there was such a thing as a record collection.  Those upgrades easily tack on $40 per game.  A lot of people are willing to pay for those upgrades.

1 minute ago, Barb Bliss said:

To be fair, the quality of these games, packaging, and components is extraordinary.  They are not just selling the games.  They're also selling the experience.  And the box is a work of art that seems to be replacing the LP cover art from when I was younger and there was such a thing as a record collection.  Those upgrades easily tack on $40 per game.  A lot of people are willing to pay for those upgrades.

Make no mistake @Barb Bliss there is a need and place for pricier games as you mentioned.  As someone who likes nicer looking games I agree with you.  I have seen in some kickstarters where I felt like it was inflated a bit too.  

All that being said...I do think some attention is needed towards lower price point games.  Not everything can or should be cmon/awaken realms price points.  Both ends of the spectrum should be weighed to include the most gamers.  

3 minutes ago, tgpumpkin said:

Make no mistake @Barb Bliss there is a need and place for pricier games as you mentioned.  As someone who likes nicer looking games I agree with you.  I have seen in some kickstarters where I felt like it was inflated a bit too.  

All that being said...I do think some attention is needed towards lower price point games.  Not everything can or should be cmon/awaken realms price points.  Both ends of the spectrum should be weighed to include the most gamers.  

There are plenty of games on ks at a lower price point.  They are just harder to find.

15 minutes ago, tgpumpkin said:

I agree on these points. One question, where do you see the price points for inexpensive, expensive, and very expensive. Just business curious? I.e. What would you consider a game that's $20, $40, $100, etc.?

11 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

There are plenty of games on ks at a lower price point.  They are just harder to find.

2 minutes ago, Konas said:

I agree on these points. One question, where do you see the price points for inexpensive, expensive, and very expensive. Just business curious? I.e. What would you consider a game that's $20, $40, $100, etc.?

Just search board game projects.  Then skip down past the top 20 projects or so.  That's the best you can do.  There is a criteria where you can sort on price iirc, but then you have a bunch of trash projects to go through to get to the $40 range.

2 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Just search board game projects.  Then skip down past the top 20 projects or so.  That's the best you can do.  There is a criteria where you can sort on price iirc, but then you have a bunch of trash projects to go through to get to the $40 range.

I totally phrased that wrong. What I was feebly trying to ask was where do YOU personally rate game prices? What do you consider to be an inexpensive game nowadays? 

Just now, Konas said:

@Konas I know “expensive” is in the eye of the beholder.  The idea of value and what comes in a game I think plays a significant role in determining if a game is expensive for what it offers.

the other thing to keep in mind is that I think a NON gamer has a lower price point threshold than a gamer largely due to mass produced games.  Fortunately because gaming is becoming more popular that’s changing but it still exists.

those points in mind...if looking exclusively at price point I think this range applies to me.

10-20  budget friendly value game

20-35 in expensive

35-60 sweet spot

60-80 pricier...but if the value can be justified by component quality or quantity of gameplay I’m in

80+ expensive...again can be justified

ive backed games across the spectrum and have several in that 80 plus category.  Just feels like everyone wants to be operating in that space these days.  I hope it doesn’t become a trend and the gaming hobby doesn’t create a stigma that any game less than 50 or 60 isn’t a good game.  I don’t feel that way right now but it’s pointing there.

4 minutes ago, tgpumpkin said:

@Konas I know “expensive” is in the eye of the beholder.  The idea of value and what comes in a game I think plays a significant role in determining if a game is expensive for what it offers.

the other thing to keep in mind is that I think a NON gamer has a lower price point threshold than a gamer largely due to mass produced games.  Fortunately because gaming is becoming more popular that’s changing but it still exists.

those points in mind...if looking exclusively at price point I think this range applies to me.

10-20  budget friendly value game

20-35 in expensive

35-60 sweet spot

60-80 pricier...but if the value can be justified by component quality or quantity of gameplay I’m in

80+ expensive...again can be justified

ive backed games across the spectrum and have several in that 80 plus category.  Just feels like everyone wants to be operating in that space these days.  I hope it doesn’t become a trend and the gaming hobby doesn’t create a stigma that any game less than 50 or 60 isn’t a good game.  I don’t feel that way right now but it’s pointing there.

Perfect. Thanks for that. I am just thinking about our next game. It will be in the 40 buck range. High quality but no minis, which is where the big price jump occurs from our end. We are leaving them out but might do them later if the game goes well. Thanks for your input. Very helpful.

5 minutes ago, Konas said:

Perfect. Thanks for that. I am just thinking about our next game. It will be in the 40 buck range. High quality but no minis, which is where the big price jump occurs from our end. We are leaving them out but might do them later if the game goes well. Thanks for your input. Very helpful.

Have you thought about making your own board game pieces for it as a deluxe add on?  How bad ass would it be that an add on would be pieces made by dmg themselves.

8 minutes ago, Konas said:

I totally phrased that wrong. What I was feebly trying to ask was where do YOU personally rate game prices? What do you consider to be an inexpensive game nowadays? 

I have a squeal number.  If the price of the game is over that squeal number, I don't pledge.  That squeal number is different for different types of games.  For example, a card game will have a smaller squeal number than a board that has a fun theme, which is lower than a full on rpg like experience that AI driven.  For me, to pledge a game, it must have:

1. replayable unless it's a legacy type game
  2. thematic
  3. number of players.  2 player games don't hold much interest.  Good solo play is a plus.
  4. tickles me

Some of the card games I have are: gorus maximus, side effects, coup, bears vs babies.  bvb was the most expensive.  I don't remember the price, but the furry box is a hoot.  It must be easy to setup, and encourage verbal interactions like (I hate you so much right now).   Squeal number is around $30

Some of the cheaper games I have are Bridges to nowhere, Deja Vu, Fire in the Library, Lucidity.  They tend to be filler games we use when waiting for someone to show up or the other table to finish up.  It's got to be fun, easy to set up, allows for conversation.  Squeal number is around $45.

Some of the mid level games like Grimm Forest, Photosynthesis, Fallen Angel, Stone Age, Gugong, Roll Player, Lords of Water Deep, and Euphoria (2 thumbs up!!!)  Squeal number under $100.

Some of my higher quality/scale games: Dino Genics, Lisboa, Escape Plan.  High quality components and has massive possibilities strategy wise.  Squeal number $150.

Then there are the big kahunas with minis to paint and an emersive experience.  Some of the ones I have: Nemesis, Massive Darkness, Gloomhaven, Village Attacks, and 7th Continent.  Squeal number is under $350.

25 minutes ago, Konas said:

Wooden meeples!

20 minutes ago, Serge Darveau said:

For now, just backing Dinogenics and Frontier :) 

I have Sleeping Gods (for now anyway - note: about 1 in 3 pledges end up getting cancelled), Trudvang Legends (CMON), and Etherfields (AR).  Etherfields with expansions, sleeves, and sundrop paint will probably require selling a kidney, but it checks ALL the boxes.  Trudvang Legends has the push your luck mechanic that is right in my wheelhouse, a theme I don't have yet.

Just now, Serge Darveau said:

For a big game, I'm waiting for the launch of Nouvelle-France this fall. :) 

What's that one like?

Shovel Knight relaunched yesterday. New campaign gives an option for standees instead of minis. Hoping to see a lot of stretch goals.

Disclaimer: lead designer is the husband of Liz Beckley, who we're friends with via Miniature Monthly (she is a MM instructor and the studio painter for Kingdom Death and others). We've over the shoulder demod the game, and it looks pretty fun.

23 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

Shovel Knight relaunched yesterday. New campaign gives an option for standees instead of minis. Hoping to see a lot of stretch goals.

Disclaimer: lead designer is the husband of Liz Beckley, who we're friends with via Miniature Monthly (she is a MM instructor and the studio painter for Kingdom Death and others). We've over the shoulder demod the game, and it looks pretty fun.

"It has it in spades."  lol