Konas

On the lookout for awesome new games

2 minutes ago, Serge Darveau said:

For the fan of Jurassic Park, there's a relaunch for a nice game with awesome dino meeples.

I love the theme of this. Getting 3+ players at the table for me is a tough one though which in turn makes this a tough sell for me.

Just now, Serge Darveau said:

It's a 2-5 players, but always better in group.

Hmph...BGG lied to me!

9 minutes ago, Serge Darveau said:

For the fan of Jurassic Park, there's a relaunch for a nice game with awesome dino meeples.

I saw this one earlier, and I'm keeping a close eye on it. My Fiance would absolutely love it, but I'm going to wait and see if it hits it's goal, apparently it didn't make it last time it was on kickstarter.

12 minutes ago, Serge Darveau said:

I got to see that game in person at one of the cons this summer. It looked really cool.

2 hours ago, Serge Darveau said:

I saw you on there!  I think it was the dino meeples that got me.

All the pledges  I made earlier are starting to arrive now.  In the last 3 weeks, 4 games have arrived.  What have I done?

Just now, Barb Bliss said:

All the pledges  I made earlier are starting to arrive now.  In the last 3 weeks, 4 games have arrived.  What have I done?

Christmas in October!

My back is killing me too.  9 hours behind the computer, and then 5 hours last night painting my mini doors for Massive Darkness.  Guess what I'm doing tonight.  I'll give you 3 guesses and the first 2 don't count.  They are starting to look pretty spiffy though.

3 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

My back is killing me too.  9 hours behind the computer, and then 5 hours last night painting my mini doors for Massive Darkness.  Guess what I'm doing tonight.  I'll give you 3 guesses and the first 2 don't count.  They are starting to look pretty spiffy though.

This might be my future. All day at work on the computer (tech teacher here) then hopefully learning to paint minis. I got to order all my needed supplies. Thinking about getting Reapers beginner kit on Amazon. I know many minis need a primer also (though Reaper minis do not). Watching vids to learn the basics.

12 hours ago, RomyCat said:

This might be my future. All day at work on the computer (tech teacher here) then hopefully learning to paint minis. I got to order all my needed supplies. Thinking about getting Reapers beginner kit on Amazon. I know many minis need a primer also (though Reaper minis do not). Watching vids to learn the basics.

First decision is water based or oil based.  I chose water base as it stinks less and is easier to cleanup.  With my eyes, I won't notice the difference in finish.  :-|  I found a new bottle called "smoke".  It's transparent and puts a smokey finish on .  It did a great job of dulling my too shiny brass.  I'm pretty sure it will do wonders in folds of cloth.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, RomyCat said:

I learned a lot of my techniques from this website http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/ They have tutorials from everything that a beginner needs to know to the most advanced techniques being used in competitions today. 

• Thanks 1

Be sure to use a good protective finish after you are done, especially with minis you plan to use heavily. Most people prefer a Matte finish because its more realistic. It's not as hard as a Gloss however so spray with a gloss first, then a matte after its dry.

Just now, Konas said:

Be sure to use a good protective finish after you are done, especially with minis you plan to use heavily. Most people prefer a Matte finish because its more realistic. It's not as hard as a Gloss however so spray with a gloss first, then a matte after its dry.

Good tip.  I've just sprayed with matte.  My treasure chests turned out pretty well, but would like a do over on the doors.  Oh well.

If you are curious to see how bad of a mini painter I am, you can check out our Skirmish Box KS. I painted all of the minis used in the pics (except for the Star Wars ships which are prepainted).

1 minute ago, Konas said:

If you are curious to see how bad of a mini painter I am, you can check out our Skirmish Box KS. I painted all of the minis used in the pics (except for the Star Wars ships which are prepainted).

That spartan box is sexy.

1 hour ago, Lindsey said:

I learned a lot of my techniques from this website http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/ They have tutorials from everything that a beginner needs to know to the most advanced techniques being used in competitions today. 

I love that page. Roman's articles have pulled me out of many ruts in my painting and motivated me to improve immensely.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blinkus Maximus said:

I love that page. Roman's articles have pulled me out of many ruts in my painting and motivated me to improve immensely.

Flippin' bank has the site blocked!  Aaarrrgggg!  I'll have to get my home machine booted up.  Though that will probably take days as I haven't turned it on in about 4 months.

4 minutes ago, Blinkus Maximus said:

I love Roman! My dream is to one day take Dog Might to Adepticon just so I can meet him. He inspired me to start painting busts and to enter my first competition. 

• Like 1

Just now, Lindsey said:

I love Roman! My dream is to one day take Dog Might to Adepticon just so I can meet him. He inspired me to start painting busts and to enter my first competition. 

I'm starting to make my way toward busts, but I'm absolutely terrible at faces and skin in general. It's the bane of my existence.

I would absolutely love to take one of his classes someday though, if just to watch the man work and try to absorb some talent through osmosis.

• Like 2

And since we're on the topic of painting

Popped up yesterday over on Kickstarter, from the makers of Herbaceous. Just a nice little game about going on hikes and painting stuff, with a competitive edge and a very attractive $19 price point.