Konas

On the lookout for awesome new games

1 minute ago, Ian Coyle said:

I've also found that you can generally have good success introducing non-gamer friends to games like Carcassonne, Settlers of Catan, or Ticket to Ride.

Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride were the games that got me and my wife into the hobby when we started over a year ago. Pandemic was the other game that we started with. That one never really clicked for my wife, but it is one of my favorites, and I play it solo a lot! A friend from work and I are planning to start Pandemic Legacy Season 1 in November (schedules permitting.)

Pandemic Legacy is pretty fun. I've got a group that's about halfway through that campaign. That reminds me though, we haven't played it in a while, Zombicide took over as a favorite game in that group

• Like 1

My wife actually took Ticket to Ride to her school (she is the vice principal at our local elementary school) and she regularly plays it with kids that are having behavior issues or some other issue requiring them to take a break from their classroom for extended periods. She says the kids love to play that game with her.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Adam said:

@Barb Bliss you seem to do a lot of backing on Kickstarter. Did you back The 7th Continent? Or anyone else for that matter. The second wave Kickstarter is supposed to be starting on 9/26/17.

No.  I've never heard of it.

15 hours ago, Adam said:

Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride were the games that got me and my wife into the hobby when we started over a year ago. Pandemic was the other game that we started with. That one never really clicked for my wife, but it is one of my favorites, and I play it solo a lot! A friend from work and I are planning to start Pandemic Legacy Season 1 in November (schedules permitting.)

I actually loathe Carcassonne and Settlers.  I can't figure out the appeal. 

Fallen Angel has been fun.  I got it on KS.  It's a dice placement kind of game, but there are strategies and contention for the dice placement locations.  I will warn you though that the rules were written by a guy in Hong Kong, so you may want to do what I did and create a reorganized set of rules.

Seconding everything Ian has said.

I've been watching Tabletop since the beginning, and quite a lot of those games have made it into my collection.  The vast majority of the titles they play are fantastic gateway games for new board game players, and they do a good job showing a variety of game styles.

I had Codenames before they played it on Tabletop, and it's a wonderful group game, breaking the mold of "impress the judge" party games.

Some games I just picked up that are fairly recent releases and light-but-good are Sagrada (where you build stained glass windows using a grid and dice) and Century: Spice Road (a game about trading spices).  My FLGS has also found great success with Clank! (a deckbuilding adventurey game).

3 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

I actually loathe Carcassonne and Settlers.  I can't figure out the appeal. 

I like Carcassonne more than Settlers personally. But neither are part of our regular rotation anymore. But I use Carcassonne when introducing newbies to the wonderful world of table tap gaming still. We also use some of the simpler card games like Sushi Go!, Seven Wonders, and Exploding Kittens fairly regularly. Sometimes you just don't have 2 hours to throw into a full blown game of Zombicide or whatever, or the group wants to play multiple different games, so it's nice to have some quick hitters like that in reserve.

Settlers used to be my family's favorite game for game night. That changed when I started bringing over some more complex games. Now their favorites are Power Grid and 7 Wonders.

Edited by Ian Coyle

Just now, Ian Coyle said:

I like Carcassonne more than Settlers personally. But neither are part of our regular rotation anymore. But I use Carcassonne when introducing newbies to the wonderful world of table tap gaming still. We also use some of the simpler card games like Sushi Go! and Exploding Kittens fairly regularly. Sometimes you just don't have 2 hours to throw into a full blown game of Zombicide or whatever, or the group wants to play multiple different games, so it's nice to have some quick hitters like that in reserve.

I do like a good game of Exploding Kittens.  Try Bears vs Babies (from the same guys).

I didn't get in on the KS, but I will likely buy it at retail. I saw it on Amazon the other day.

The fury box makes it stand out!

@Ian Coyle Code Names is a blast. Played it at GenCon with some designers. As far as rule run throughs on the web, everyone should check out "Watch it Played" by Rodney Smith. Great show. Great guy. Like the other Mike at Dog Might, he's a super polite Canadian. I also second your strategy of introducing newbs with the classic euros, especially Carcassonne.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ian Coyle said:

O....M....G.... Must back

This looks fun, but it's kind of expensive for a deck of cards plus $7 for shipping.

5 minutes ago, Ian Coyle said:

Haha, it looks interesting, plus who can say no to pugs??

I just noticed the limited edition "pugs playing Beezlepug" poster. Ha!

Just now, Serge Darveau said:

I will wait for it, 3 cards game are closing their campaign today for me. Trut, Mint and Zipang.

I'm in on Mint.

I haven't done a ton of card games, they don't make up a large portion of my gaming group's preferred games. We did get Exploding Kittens and we have some games like Poo, Sushi Go!, and Gloom. But I did recently fund Unstable Unicorns and it looks like it'll be fun. Was a very successful KS for them, they raised almost $2,000,000 for it.

I haven't done a ton of card games, they don't make up a large portion of my gaming group's preferred games. We did get Exploding Kittens and we have some games like Poo, Sushi Go!, and Gloom. But I did recently fund Unstable Unicorns and it looks like it'll be fun. Was a very successful KS for them, they raised almost $2,000,000 for it.

For your consideration: Infected, Organ Attack!, Coup.