Konas

On the lookout for awesome new games

9 minutes ago, tgpumpkin said:

The other appeal to me isn’t I’ve never own a Cthulhu game before and would like to learn more about the lore.

Yah, absolutely. Not trying to talk you out of it.  It looks pretty cool. :)

Link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/magicmeeplegames/incoming-transmission-16-bit-deduction-family-boar?ref=user_menu

It's balanced for a two player game with one player playing as Mission Control and giving commands for an cadet trapped on an messed up space station. The commands are shuffled and the cadet must figure out (hopefully) the right things to do to save themselves and the station. The game can be played with more than 2 with several working on a team as the cadet.  I think it will work well with my sister's and I play style.

• Like 1

Any of you play mage knight?  They have an ultimate edition coming out I’m eyeing.  What’s it like?

@Adam did you see the new expansion content for Cthulhu?  

On 7/15/2018 at 4:15 PM, RomyCat said:

Link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/magicmeeplegames/incoming-transmission-16-bit-deduction-family-boar?ref=user_menu

It's balanced for a two player game with one player playing as Mission Control and giving commands for an cadet trapped on an messed up space station. The commands are shuffled and the cadet must figure out (hopefully) the right things to do to save themselves and the station. The game can be played with more than 2 with several working on a team as the cadet.  I think it will work well with my sister's and I play style.

I appreciate the nods to Metroid. 

2 minutes ago, tgpumpkin said:

Any of you play mage knight?  They have an ultimate edition coming out I’m eyeing.  What’s it like?

@Adam did you see the new expansion content for Cthulhu?  

Of the solo groups I belong to on Facebook and BGG, Mage Knight is like some sort of deity. I don't understand it...I've watched multiple videos on it and I just am not interested, and I don't understand the gushing praise for it. But that's just my opinion and how it strikes me.

In regards to Cthulhu, I did see the new expansion. The campaign is definitely keeping my attention, which could be bad for my wallet. The dashboard trays are a nice addition too. I like that they're a stretch goal and not an add on. I had hoped that I would have lost interest, but sadly no. And I know there will be a couple more add ons to come.

Just now, Adam said:

Of the solo groups I belong to on Facebook and BGG, Mage Knight is like some sort of deity. I don't understand it...I've watched multiple videos on it and I just am not interested, and I don't understand the gushing praise for it. But that's just my opinion and how it strikes me.

In regards to Cthulhu, I did see the new expansion. The campaign is definitely keeping my attention, which could be bad for my wallet. The dashboard trays are a nice addition too. I like that they're a stretch goal and not an add on. I had hoped that I would have lost interest, but sadly no. And I know there will be a couple more add ons to come.

Agreed about the trays.  That was a huge win.  I was glad they introduced something.  I like it when games have a player board well organized.

cthulu is definitely keeping my interest and this will be my first cmon I jump in on time for.  I’m only interested in gameplay add ons.  I’m hoping there won’t be any other optional buys as my wallet may begin to rebuke.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, tgpumpkin said:

Agreed about the trays.  That was a huge win.  I was glad they introduced something.  I like it when games have a player board well organized.

cthulu is definitely keeping my interest and this will be my first cmon I jump in on time for.  I’m only interested in gameplay add ons.  I’m hoping there won’t be any other optional buys as my wallet may begin to rebuke.

I also hope they keep adding more gameplay related stuff. I don't need 50 different investigators to choose from each time I play.

3 minutes ago, Adam said:

I also hope they keep adding more gameplay related stuff. I don't need 50 different investigators to choose from each time I play.

So far it’s been better about introducing endless numbers of heroes or investigators.  We know more are coming though.

3 minutes ago, tgpumpkin said:

So far it’s been better about introducing endless numbers of heroes or investigators.  We know more are coming though.

For sure. I wish they would limit the number of investigators and go heavy on the bad guys. I'd rather have more variety there.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Adam said:

For sure. I wish they would limit the number of investigators and go heavy on the bad guys. I'd rather have more variety there.

I bought into the expansion, extra set of dice, and art book.  One thing I learned with Massive Darkness is having a set of dice for each side of the table is much better than only having one set.  I bought a set of upgraded dice for MD, and expected to just keep the old set in the box as spare parts.  But I've been using both sets regularly.  In hindsight, I wish I had bought 2 sets of the upgrade dice so we'd have 3 sets, especially when playing with more than 4 players.

11 hours ago, tgpumpkin said:

My sister and I LOVE Mage Knight. It was the 2nd  really complex game I brought (Agricola being the 1st).  It deserves its high reputation. Has lots of rules. First game my sister and I played took five hours as we tried to figure things out (we were still newbies in the modern board game world back then). We loved the game so much that we turned  around and played it two more times the same day, taking 2-3 hours per game.  Lots of replayable. I printed out fan made mods which we had fun trying out which added even more layers of complexity.

If you want a light, easy game to play, don't get Mage Knight. If you want a RPG deck building, tile laying experience where you character keeps leveling up and you have the option to play as a good or bad guy, this is your game. You start weak and becoming powerful (if you play well) to siege dragons and powerful cities. Great theme. Memorable battles. 

After all the praise, I will say, my copy does not get played near as much as it deserves, but I own over 100 games, including Gloomhaven now.  Gloomhaven would be Mage Knight's closest comparison, I think.  They are very different games, but both allow you to control your characters through cards. Mage Knight is not a campaign or legacy game (wow, it would be awesome if they released an campaign expansion. I would buy it in a heart beat). In Mage Knight, your character travels across the land, visiting cities, monasteries, castles, dungeons. Want to kill the monks and steal their relics. You can. Prefer to befriend them and hire one to help you. You could do that instead. Gloomhaven is a dungeon crawl where you can visit the one main city. In both games, you can get good or reputation and must deal with consequences of your actions. 

If you only had to choose one, I would say go with Gloomhaven. I have both and enjoyed both.  Now I'm in the mood to play Mage Knight (Looks at copy on shelf). Thanks. @tgpumpkin

• Like 1

I just checked out Mage Knight: Ultimate Edition.  If you don't already have the game,  and wish to buy it, this is the way to go. I already own one of the three expansions which comes with it. I really liked the additions added with The Lost Legion. New tiles and a really, really tough bad guy you can go up against.

Link: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/248562/mage-knight-ultimate-edition

Edited by RomyCat
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, RomyCat said:

I just checked out Mage Knight: Ultimate Edition.  If you don't already have the game,  and wish to buy it, this is the way to go. I already own one of the three expansions which comes with it. I really liked the additions added with The Lost Legion. New tiles and a really, really tough bad guy you can go up against.

Link: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/248562/mage-knight-ultimate-edition

Thanks @RomyCat for such a thorough review .  I love rpgs and am not scared and deep ness.  The game teases me for sure and I’m drawn to it.  Very tempted by the ultimate edition and your review doesn’t help ;) 

seriously thanks for the awesome rundown 

Btw, the Gloomhaven Expansion (I know! He's EXPANDING IT!  ** brain melts **) will apparently be demo'd at Gencon.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/250337/gloomhaven-forgotten-circles

Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles, the first expansion for Gloomhaven, features twenty new scenarios that take place after the events of the original Gloomhaven campaign and involve one new character class — the Aesther Diviner — and her attempts to prevent an approaching calamity. The accompanying scenario book breaks these scenarios up across multiple pages to create more dynamic and surprising encounters.

EDIT:  And this link too:  https://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/75416/gloomhaven-forgotten-circles-introduces-aesther-di

Edited by Zoxe
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Zoxe said:

Btw, the Gloomhaven Expansion (I know! He's EXPANDING IT!  ** brain melts **) will apparently be demo'd at Gencon.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/250337/gloomhaven-forgotten-circles

EDIT:  And this link too:  https://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/75416/gloomhaven-forgotten-circles-introduces-aesther-di

And this is just the SMALL expansion.

Isaac is also working on a BIG expansion which supposedly would be as large as the original campaign.

1 hour ago, Thomas Browne said:

And this is just the SMALL expansion.

Isaac is also working on a BIG expansion which supposedly would be as large as the original campaign.

Good grief.

1 hour ago, Adam said:

@tgpumpkin and anyone else in the Chicagoland/Indianapolis/Milwaukee area, there is a group buy being organized for Snowdonia on BGG. Right now the cost is $50.80 instead of the $88 plus shipping on KS.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2023728/chicago-bloomington-normal-central-il-milwaukee-an

Thanks for the hookup!  That's awesome.  I'm heavily considering it but I'm also looking for a new job that may relocate me so I'm kind of torn on if I should jump in or not.  I'd prefer to save the 38 bucks :) 

1 hour ago, Adam said:

@tgpumpkin and anyone else in the Chicagoland/Indianapolis/Milwaukee area, there is a group buy being organized for Snowdonia on BGG. Right now the cost is $50.80 instead of the $88 plus shipping on KS.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2023728/chicago-bloomington-normal-central-il-milwaukee-an

If you snail me a copy of the game, I'll go in with you.

33 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

If you snail me a copy of the game, I'll go in with you.

I can look into doing that for you, I'm just worried that the massive size of the box is going to eat up a majority of what you will save by going with the group.