Konas

On the lookout for awesome new games

20 minutes ago, Konas said:

I used to back a lot of games via our business account. Most were new start up wood guys. We want to keep tabs on the new businesses. (BTW, there is some rough stuff being made out there). I used to back a lot of games as well through the business. But now its a little different. First, we have sooooooo many. You get to a point where you know you will never ever play them all. It's hard to get a group together and when we do, we want to play something we know we will all like. Getting into LCGs has helped a bit. It's only about 15 bucks a month to stay current and there's plenty to do (make decks, improve existing ones, read forums) that still feel engaging when you can't play and without further expenditures. And they are fun as hell. I really like to delve deep into a game and get better at it and those give me that satisfaction.

Also, DMG has about 1500 followers on KS so I need to make sure I back a project keeping the view of the company in mind. 

Good that you're keeping your KS followers in mind too. I will always look at projects backed by the people I follow and a lot of times that sways my decisions. And of course there's always those times @Barb Bliss gets on your shoulder and shouts out the good angel telling you to stay away 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Adam said:

Good that you're keeping your KS followers in mind too. I will always look at projects backed by the people I follow and a lot of times that sways my decisions. And of course there's always those times @Barb Bliss gets on your shoulder and shouts out the good angel telling you to stay away 😄

I like that you've imagined @Barb Bliss as a good angel, but that she is shouting at you.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Konas said:

I like that you've imagined @Barb Bliss as a good angel, but that she is shouting at you.

I was trying to imply that she was the evil angel shouting louder than the good one on the other shoulder. Now that I read it again, my wording could've been better. Ah, the late week struggles.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Adam said:

I was trying to imply that she was the evil angel shouting louder than the good one on the other shoulder. Now that I read it again, my wording could've been better. Ah, the late week struggles.

It's funny both ways.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, RomyCat said:

Perhaps I need to set out a series of rules and force myself to keep to those rules. That may help.

I was just imagining what an intervention for my addiction would be like. All my friends and family gathered around telling me I needed to stop buying games, stay away from Kickstarter. After the meeting was over, then I invite them to play games from my collection. Next six hours we have a blast, including playing games I originally got on Kickstarter. That will really help me see the evils of Kickstarter.

Now you're talking like an engineer.  But there is addiction, and there is who you are.  I'm kind of a compulsive person, and don't necessarily see some things like this as addiction.  To get a better handle on it, ask your self:

1) does getting something help me divert from some other not great thing?  e.g. family, job, illness

2) do I end up later wondering why did I get blah?

3) does having the thing give you as much pleasure as getting the thing?

I like to collect things.  It's who I am.  At first it was stamps.  Then it was hostas, sedums, day lillies, etc.  Then it was games.  Now it's DMG.  More than a few games, they show up and I wish I could just return it for the money.  That tells me the allure of the KS campaign was really what I enjoyed.  Now my plants, I've spent some mind numbing amount of money on my yard, but I enjoy the plants/yard so much I don't think of that as addiction, but more of a hobby.  DMG is a lot like plants, and a little like games on KS.

Edited by Barb Bliss
damn auto correct
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Now you're talking like an engineer.  But there is addition, and there is who you are.  I'm kind of a compulsive person, and don't necessarily see some things like this as addiction.  To get a better handle on it, ask your self:

1) does getting something help me divert from some other not great thing?  e.g. family, job, illness

2) do I end up later wondering why did I get blah?

3) does having the thing give you as much pleasure as getting the thing?

I like to collect things.  It's who I am.  At first it was stamps.  Then it was hostas, sedums, day lillies, etc.  Then it was games.  Now it's DMG.  More than a few games, they show up and I wish I could just return it for the money.  That tells me the allure of the KS campaign was really what I enjoyed.  Now my plants, I've spent some mind numbing amount of money on my yard, but I enjoy the plants/yard so much I don't think of that as addiction, but more of a hobby.  DMG is a lot like plants, and a little like games on KS.

Nice read.  It's so difficult sometimes navigating what to purchase especially when something is recreational.  For me I'm always assessing maximizing value and focus on function over vanity (it's also why I over research a lot and will miss out on some things).  As an example, I have always wanted an SUV.  A couple of years ago I went car shopping and with my respective price point I could either get: Toyota 2014 RAV4 SUV with 30k miles on it for $280 a month OR get a 2015 Toyota Camry with 18k miles on it for $244 a month.  The function of the Camry beat out the vanity of having the SUV.  I'm always weighing how I could better maximize my purchases and get the most function possible.  Even when I buy watches....I need there to be something more than just time and vanity of the watch itself :) 

How this applies in the board game universe is when I do shop games I want to make sure it's a different game, not just a retread of what I have.  It's okay if there are some similar elements as long as functionally it provides a different experience.  

Limited editions are a weakness of mine though and Kickstarter definitely makes decision making difficult when those KS exclusives pop their ugly head.  I still maximize value, but if it's only a little more for backing now, I have a hard time resisting.  Knowing that 7th continent would never hit retail and seeing it rated so high made it an instabuy for me.  Same thing with Gloomhaven.  

@Barb Bliss I am a bit of a collector myself too though and I feel you there.  Right now with DMG I want different kinds of woods (hence why I am not buying the absolutely beautiful XL Dragon Sheath Boco because I have other woods I want) and to collect a variety.  Love those stupid Pop vinyls though fortunately since they are too numerous to count I don't feel such a dire need as I used to.  The limited edition craze mentioned above and collection orientation definitely has me always wrestling with the functional side of me that wants to maximize my purchase :)

Sorry for the long post :) 

1 minute ago, tgpumpkin said:

Nice read.  It's so difficult sometimes navigating what to purchase especially when something is recreational.  For me I'm always assessing maximizing value and focus on function over vanity (it's also why I over research a lot and will miss out on some things).  As an example, I have always wanted an SUV.  A couple of years ago I went car shopping and with my respective price point I could either get: Toyota 2014 RAV4 SUV with 30k miles on it for $280 a month OR get a 2015 Toyota Camry with 18k miles on it for $244 a month.  The function of the Camry beat out the vanity of having the SUV.  I'm always weighing how I could better maximize my purchases and get the most function possible.  Even when I buy watches....I need there to be something more than just time and vanity of the watch itself :) 

How this applies in the board game universe is when I do shop games I want to make sure it's a different game, not just a retread of what I have.  It's okay if there are some similar elements as long as functionally it provides a different experience.  

Limited editions are a weakness of mine though and Kickstarter definitely makes decision making difficult when those KS exclusives pop their ugly head.  I still maximize value, but if it's only a little more for backing now, I have a hard time resisting.  Knowing that 7th continent would never hit retail and seeing it rated so high made it an instabuy for me.  Same thing with Gloomhaven.  

@Barb Bliss I am a bit of a collector myself too though and I feel you there.  Right now with DMG I want different kinds of woods (hence why I am not buying the absolutely beautiful XL Dragon Sheath Boco because I have other woods I want) and to collect a variety.  Love those stupid Pop vinyls though fortunately since they are too numerous to count I don't feel such a dire need as I used to.  The limited edition craze mentioned above and collection orientation definitely has me always wrestling with the functional side of me that wants to maximize my purchase :)

Here you go: 1) do I really want it or just enjoy getting it?  2) is it stuff?

#2 has saved me from countless purchases.  I'm trying to get rid of stuff.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Barb Bliss said:

I'm the more "reasonable" between my husband and I on buying things. I follow that two step process Barb posted. But I too am a collector and once I have a thing, I kind of want all the variations of that thing. My husband is responsible for introducing me to miniatures. And now we have a ton. I get away with it because we use them in our gaming. Course, I'm the one that found DMG's site so, its my fault in that regard. :).  But we have a use for all of what we bought so far!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, WxCougar said:

I'm the more "reasonable" between my husband and I on buying things. I follow that two step process Barb posted. But I too am a collector and once I have a thing, I kind of want all the variations of that thing. My husband is responsible for introducing me to miniatures. And now we have a ton. I get away with it because we use them in our gaming. Course, I'm the one that found DMG's site so, its my fault in that regard. :).  But we have a use for all of what we bought so far!

I've been at my current house for about 23 years.  That a lot of time to accumulate stuff.  Like @RomyCat, I made a rule that the only "stuff" I could by was Christmas decorations.  It didn't work out as well as I hoped.  I now have God only know how may strings of lights, ornaments, etc.  All I know is that I have 2 Christmas trees and a viking santa flying on a dragon's back tree topper.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Lol I think I’ve followed that model quite a bit when making decisions on if I buy recreational items or not.  To me all recreational items are stuff.  When I buy a recreational item, I then try to maximize value and function.  

19 minutes ago, WxCougar said:

I believe I’m pretty reasonable for the most part.  I don’t buy a lot of expensive things and rarely go above 200 unless it’s a very functional investment (ie a PS4 that feeds my gaming addiction and doubles as a blue ray player). Problem with me is I’ve developed a backlog in gaming (both board games and video games) that have good intentions but I don’t get it to the table or screen.  That’s where it is a loss of money.  I’ve been pretty good though for the most part but have my moments of weakness :) 

2 minutes ago, tgpumpkin said:

I’ve been pretty good though for the most part but have my moments of weakness :) 

Don't we all :).

Just now, WxCougar said:

Don't we all :).

Here’s a fun topic....biggest regret of a board game you purchased?

right now for me it’s dominion expansions surprisingly. I LOVE Dominion and played it many times, but honestly  I would have been fine buying 2 expansions but the collector in me got it to 7.  *hangs head in shame*

Just now, tgpumpkin said:

right now for me it’s dominion expansions surprisingly. I LOVE Dominion and played it many times, but honestly  I would have been fine buying 2 expansions but the collector in me got it to 7.  *hangs head in shame*

That is good information to have. I have the Big Box Dominion and love it. But we haven't played it enough to go into expansions quite yet. Any you recommend for when we do go that way?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tgpumpkin said:

Martians: A Story of Civilization.

3 hours ago, tgpumpkin said:

This might be heresy, but I'm going to say Descent 2E.  Got the 2E box, played through a couple of times, went big on some of the expansions and addon figs.  I bought Shadows of Brimstone shortly after, and all the Descent stuff beyond the core box is still in shrink wrap.  

4 hours ago, WxCougar said:

That is good information to have. I have the Big Box Dominion and love it. But we haven't played it enough to go into expansions quite yet. Any you recommend for when we do go that way?

Dominion is amazing and I will say if you play through it a ton they are worth it.  I have played a lot but feel like I only scratched the surface.  I really like prosperity and seaside.  Wasn’t a huge fan of intrigue.  

Dominion was what got me back into gaming years ago after a hiatus.  I never jumped into the whole catan movement.  

• Like 1

@Tgpumpkin, you started a great topic. Might deserve its own thread.

17 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

DMG is a lot like plants, and a little like games on KS.

This is an interesting take and I like it. I wanna put this on the website. "DMG is a lot like plants."

16 hours ago, tgpumpkin said:

I had the opposite car experience. I had a two door Grand Am GT with two 55 pound dogs. Now I have a Subaru Outback. One is obviously more functional than the other for my lifestyle. 😂 Similarly, the idea of continuing to pursue Warhammer 40k after the boyfriend & I left our college town and that cool local game store was... not reasonable. The hardest thing we struggle with now is finding games with enough players that aren't either 1) too easy or 2) too long. I've got a lot of 4 player games which is perfect for the other board gaming couple we hang with most weekends, but when our out-of-town friends visit, we need games that can suit 6-10 players.

Bohnanza remains one of the best solutions (particularly because I'm tired of Evolution, but also because I continue to be the reigning Bean Queen...).

This is really interesting to see you guys talk about, though. It's rather a big honor to know that you guys want to collect our stuff. That warms my li'l heart.

2 minutes ago, Zoe said:

This is an interesting take and I like it. I wanna put this on the website. "DMG is a lot like plants."

I had the opposite car experience. I had a two door Grand Am GT with two 55 pound dogs. Now I have a Subaru Outback. One is obviously more functional than the other for my lifestyle. 😂 Similarly, the idea of continuing to pursue Warhammer 40k after the boyfriend & I left our college town and that cool local game store was... not reasonable. The hardest thing we struggle with now is finding games with enough players that aren't either 1) too easy or 2) too long. I've got a lot of 4 player games which is perfect for the other board gaming couple we hang with most weekends, but when our out-of-town friends visit, we need games that can suit 6-10 players.

Bohnanza remains one of the best solutions (particularly because I'm tired of Evolution, but also because I continue to be the reigning Bean Queen...).

This is really interesting to see you guys talk about, though. It's rather a big honor to know that you guys want to collect our stuff. That warms my li'l heart.

Hmmm well honestly if you need 6-10 player games I’ll tell you that the reprint of hero’s of land air and sea now on Kickstarter supports up to 7 :)  

i am jealous that you have a gaming group on the weekends .  I wish I could get a group that large,

like I said before .... DMG puts a lot of heart into their stuff and shows a great deal of passion in what you all do.  I’ll throw money at that anyday of the week :) 

6 minutes ago, tgpumpkin said:

Hmmm well honestly if you need 6-10 player games I’ll tell you that the reprint of hero’s of land air and sea now on Kickstarter supports up to 7 :)  

i am jealous that you have a gaming group on the weekends .  I wish I could get a group that large,

like I said before .... DMG puts a lot of heart into their stuff and shows a great deal of passion in what you all do.  I’ll throw money at that anyday of the week :) 

Well, usually it's boyfriend, myself, and then another couple (who we know from work, but they're our besties). Just the four of us. And then about 2-4x a year our NY and/or PA friends will come visit us, that's when it gets big. We do go down to PA to visit family every other month or so, and that turns into us (a couple) + another couple + our one single friend... 5 is definitely an awkward gaming number, I tell ya. It's always 2-4 players or 6-10. And all I wanna do is play Photosynthesis!!

Aww, pumpkin. I want a heart-shaped pumpkin emoji just for when you make these types of posts.

3 minutes ago, Zoe said:

Well, usually it's boyfriend, myself, and then another couple (who we know from work, but they're our besties). Just the four of us. And then about 2-4x a year our NY and/or PA friends will come visit us, that's when it gets big. We do go down to PA to visit family every other month or so, and that turns into us (a couple) + another couple + our one single friend... 5 is definitely an awkward gaming number, I tell ya. It's always 2-4 players or 6-10. And all I wanna do is play Photosynthesis!!

Aww, pumpkin. I want a heart-shaped pumpkin emoji just for when you make these types of posts.

double deck infected can handle that many people.  werewolf coins too.  Seven Wonders allows for a lot of people, but that can fall into that "too long" category with a lot of people.

7 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

double deck infected can handle that many people.  werewolf coins too.  Seven Wonders allows for a lot of people, but that can fall into that "too long" category with a lot of people.

Ooh, I haven't heard of the first two!

We did used to play a lot of Seven Wonders. I'll admit I got tired of it (like Evolution). 😬

32 minutes ago, Zoe said:

Ooh, I haven't heard of the first two!

We did used to play a lot of Seven Wonders. I'll admit I got tired of it (like Evolution). 😬

DMG did a rolling tray for Infected's expansion Carrier.  How have you not heard of it!!!???!??!?

1 minute ago, Barb Bliss said:

DMG did a rolling tray for Infected's expansion Carrier.  How have you not heard of it!!!???!??!?

OHHH I misunderstood when you said 'double deck infected' hahaha, sorry! I thought it meant something else. 🤣