Konas

On the lookout for awesome new games

1 hour ago, RomyCat said:

Link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wiggles3d/5-minute-dungeon-curses-foiled-again-expansion?ref=user_menu

This one is exploding fast. I've not played the base game but it has my attention now. Over 5,000 backers. There is limited printing if you want the Big Box which including both base and expansion. I found myself picking it up.

Now I need to official ban myself from Kickstarter for a while. My wallet hates me right now. Its trying to bite my hand every time I try to go near it.

Already backed this one. :) 

14 hours ago, Serge Darveau said:

Already backed this one. :) 

It looks soooo good! adventure time drool GIF

On 5/23/2018 at 10:49 PM, RomyCat said:

Zoxe, those minis are so cute. I have not played the base game. How  do you like it, if you own the base?

Sorry for the slow response, past 2 days have been hell day travel days for work.

The game plays really well.  It's easy to grasp, so it makes for a good party game with friends. 

The game is a competitive campaign; each player takes a squad and builds them up.  Payout and loot at the end of each mission buys upgrades for the squad for the next.  It's somewhat competitive; you can pvp and attack other players as well as the monsters.  Characters that get killed can come back, but it does slow you down quite a bit.  There are various objectives around the map so that there's some decisions to be made about how you move, deploy, defend, and attack.  Combat is simplistic (dice rolls) but that keeps the game moving.  We were playing 1v1 and mostly coop (handshake agreement not to attack each other, although it was still a race to kill the monsters) and it is fun but pretty static with only 2 players.  I can see it being really fun in a 4v4 or a 2v2 team effort spread over several sessions.

In our house, a fully coop game works better, even something harsh like Kingdom Death or Shadows of Brimstone, where we aren't competing with each other.  Arcadia Quest is probably the rare exception where we'd play 1v1.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

Sorry for the slow response, past 2 days have been hell day travel days for work.

The game plays really well.  It's easy to grasp, so it makes for a good party game with friends. 

The game is a competitive campaign; each player takes a squad and builds them up.  Payout and loot at the end of each mission buys upgrades for the squad for the next.  It's somewhat competitive; you can pvp and attack other players as well as the monsters.  Characters that get killed can come back, but it does slow you down quite a bit.  There are various objectives around the map so that there's some decisions to be made about how you move, deploy, defend, and attack.  Combat is simplistic (dice rolls) but that keeps the game moving.  We were playing 1v1 and mostly coop (handshake agreement not to attack each other, although it was still a race to kill the monsters) and it is fun but pretty static with only 2 players.  I can see it being really fun in a 4v4 or a 2v2 team effort spread over several sessions.

In our house, a fully coop game works better, even something harsh like Kingdom Death or Shadows of Brimstone, where we aren't competing with each other.  Arcadia Quest is probably the rare exception where we'd play 1v1.

Thanks for the review. It was very insightful. Makes me want to try out the game. My sister and are play cooperative when a game allows it, such as Mage Knight. The rules for player-vs-player in that game are so complex, that me and my sister glanced at the rules only once and agreed to never attack each other.

Jamey Stegmaier just backed Kodama Duo.  "An inTREEguing two player version of Kodama: The tree spirits."

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Jamey Stegmaier just backed Kodama Duo.  "An inTREEguing two player version of Kodama: The tree spirits."

I am tentatively backing heroes of land air and sea and vast mysterious manor.  Probably won’t stay in both.  Just watching to decide if I want either.  Never played vast.  Hear good things about both,  decisions decisions.

i backed court of the dead at your suggestion.  

10 minutes ago, tgpumpkin said:

I am tentatively backing heroes of land air and sea and vast mysterious manor.  Probably won’t stay in both.  Just watching to decide if I want either.  Never played vast.  Hear good things about both,  decisions decisions.

I ended up cancelling court of the dead, after I bought the coffee table.  You'll have to let me know what you think of it.  It looked inTREEging.

37 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

I ended up cancelling court of the dead, after I bought the coffee table.  You'll have to let me know what you think of it.  It looked inTREEging.

you...you abandoned me???!?!?!?!  I'm a weeping willow over here......

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Serge Darveau said:

infected.jpg.79de2f21dd5483732b8101f7bb25b505.jpg

You should see their card box for the cabbagehead game.  They're slowly infecting many board game kickstarters.  I loved their Rise of Tribes rolling tray.  If they ever do anything for Scythe I'm doomed.  Fortunately that game already released so I don't have to worry about an add on ;)  

well..that and there's really no dice :) 

Edited by tgpumpkin

10 hours ago, tgpumpkin said:

I'm considering backing Heroes of Land, Air, and Sea but it is soooo expensive. I wanted to back it during the first printing and thought it was too expensive, now its sooo much more costly to get everything.   I have played Vast at a Gaming Meet-up and enjoyed it.  I don't think it would be so much fun for two players, so I never bought it. But for a group of three -five, I think it really shines.  I like how everyone had different goals and different ways to win. Everyone was trying to do something different. The Cave won when I played.

6 hours ago, RomyCat said:

I'm considering backing Heroes of Land, Air, and Sea but it is soooo expensive. I wanted to back it during the first printing and thought it was too expensive, now its sooo much more costly to get everything.   I have played Vast at a Gaming Meet-up and enjoyed it.  I don't think it would be so much fun for two players, so I never bought it. But for a group of three -five, I think it really shines.  I like how everyone had different goals and different ways to win. Everyone was trying to do something different. The Cave won when I played.

The cost of HoLAS is definitely a big detractor and may ultimately be what pushes me away. 

Link:  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eclipseeditorial/skull-tales-full-sail?ref=user_menu

Just a reminder that Skull Island is about to wrap up.  They doubled the number of miniature that came in the original box thanks to stretch goals. If you are into painting them, like me, this can be a good buy. Thinking about price, that about $1 a miniature (far cheaper than standalone miniatures you buy online), then throw in that there is a game that goes with it that looks really good.  I could not pass this one up.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, RomyCat said:

Link:  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eclipseeditorial/skull-tales-full-sail?ref=user_menu

Just a reminder that Skull Island is about to wrap up.  They doubled the number of miniature that came in the original box thanks to stretch goals. If you are into painting them, like me, this can be a good buy. Thinking about price, that about $1 a miniature (far cheaper than standalone miniatures you buy online), then throw in that there is a game that goes with it that looks really good.  I could not pass this one up.

My table splurge has bit into my game budget significantly. 😢  Though, I did splurge $14 for the Infected expansion.

Edited by Barb Bliss
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

My table splurge has bit into my game budget significantly. 😢  Though, I did splurge $14 for the Infected expansion.

I hear ya.  That's how I felt last year.  I've been mostly good this year.  I really haven't had a Kickstarter woo me this year like several did last year thankfully.  HoLAS's price tag is likely going to drive me away and Vast I heard is great but has a significant learning curve.  They say it's been streamlined in this upcoming KS so we'll see.

Other than Cabbagehead and Sprawlopolis, I haven't jumped full pledge into a KS.  I technically have Court of the Undead and City of Kings backed at $1 and am planning on jumping in on Undead when the PM opens.  In the end there have been games that have garnered my interest but none that I felt the need to go all in like last year

Posted (edited)

I think I need to go cold turkey on Kickstarter. I admit I've become addicted. I blame my addiction on the stress at work. Now that I have a two month break, I need to ween myself off Kickstarter. Unfortunately my support group (from this website) loves to play games. I keep telling myself I will stop ....after this game.  Ah, but this game is so cool. Now I will stop, really.

Edited by RomyCat

4 minutes ago, RomyCat said:

I think I need to go cold turkey on Kickstarter. I admit I've become addicted. I blame my addiction on the stress at work. Now that I have a two month break, I need to ween myself off Kickstarter. Unfortunately my support group (from this website) loves to play games. I keep telling myself I will stop ....after this game.  Ah, but this game is so cool. Now I will stop, really.

I've been trying to stay away from looking on KS. Fortunately, things between life and work have been so busy it's been easy to stay away. I just looked at my backed list and I have 10 games that I am awaiting delivery of. I'm not going to fool myself and pretend that I won't back anything, but I am being more discerning on what I back now. It really has to be something special to get my backing. 

Perhaps I need to set out a series of rules and force myself to keep to those rules. That may help.

I was just imagining what an intervention for my addiction would be like. All my friends and family gathered around telling me I needed to stop buying games, stay away from Kickstarter. After the meeting was over, then I invite them to play games from my collection. Next six hours we have a blast, including playing games I originally got on Kickstarter. That will really help me see the evils of Kickstarter.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RomyCat said:

Just follow the @Konas method and blame @Zoe for everything ;) :P 

it'll make you feel better.

• Haha 3

Backing one KS a week during 14 months, having different types of boardgames, backing more cheaper cardgames this year, so the next Ks game should be really different from my collection.

4 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

We have a tray on there. Not my personal favorite design but that is what he wanted! We are trying to be EVERYWHERE!

2 hours ago, Adam said:

I've been trying to stay away from looking on KS. Fortunately, things between life and work have been so busy it's been easy to stay away. I just looked at my backed list and I have 10 games that I am awaiting delivery of. I'm not going to fool myself and pretend that I won't back anything, but I am being more discerning on what I back now. It really has to be something special to get my backing. 

I used to back a lot of games via our business account. Most were new start up wood guys. We want to keep tabs on the new businesses. (BTW, there is some rough stuff being made out there). I used to back a lot of games as well through the business. But now its a little different. First, we have sooooooo many. You get to a point where you know you will never ever play them all. It's hard to get a group together and when we do, we want to play something we know we will all like. Getting into LCGs has helped a bit. It's only about 15 bucks a month to stay current and there's plenty to do (make decks, improve existing ones, read forums) that still feel engaging when you can't play and without further expenditures. And they are fun as hell. I really like to delve deep into a game and get better at it and those give me that satisfaction.

Also, DMG has about 1500 followers on KS so I need to make sure I back a project keeping the view of the company in mind. 

6 minutes ago, Konas said:

I used to back a lot of games via our business account. Most were new start up wood guys. We want to keep tabs on the new businesses. (BTW, there is some rough stuff being made out there). I used to back a lot of games as well through the business. But now its a little different. First, we have sooooooo many. You get to a point where you know you will never ever play them all. It's hard to get a group together and when we do, we want to play something we know we will all like. Getting into LCGs has helped a bit. It's only about 15 bucks a month to stay current and there's plenty to do (make decks, improve existing ones, read forums) that still feel engaging when you can't play and without further expenditures. And they are fun as hell. I really like to delve deep into a game and get better at it and those give me that satisfaction.

Also, DMG has about 1500 followers on KS so I need to make sure I back a project keeping the view of the company in mind. 

I think it is VERY wise you are exploring these partnerships with boardgame kickstarters.  It really increases the influence and visibility of your brand and will definitely draw more people to your company.  Your rolling tray for Rise of Tribes was beautiful and the Cabbagehead deck box is solid.  I hope it's something you continue to pursue because while you will sell a few pieces from the KS itself more importantly you draw people to know your brand :) 

As a side note when I started "following" you guys I did pay attention to the things and projects you guys backed so I can tell you it definitely has an influence on backers :)   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RomyCat said:

Perhaps I need to set out a series of rules and force myself to keep to those rules. That may help.

I was just imagining what an intervention for my addiction would be like. All my friends and family gathered around telling me I needed to stop buying games, stay away from Kickstarter. After the meeting was over, then I invite them to play games from my collection. Next six hours we have a blast, including playing games I originally got on Kickstarter. That will really help me see the evils of Kickstarter.

If you have an intervention, let me know and we will do our part by banning you from our Kickstarter pages, our site, and these forums! 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 2