Konas

On the lookout for awesome new games

1 hour ago, RomyCat said:

Link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wiggles3d/5-minute-dungeon-curses-foiled-again-expansion?ref=user_menu

This one is exploding fast. I've not played the base game but it has my attention now. Over 5,000 backers. There is limited printing if you want the Big Box which including both base and expansion. I found myself picking it up.

Now I need to official ban myself from Kickstarter for a while. My wallet hates me right now. Its trying to bite my hand every time I try to go near it.

Already backed this one. :) 

On 5/23/2018 at 10:49 PM, RomyCat said:

Zoxe, those minis are so cute. I have not played the base game. How  do you like it, if you own the base?

Sorry for the slow response, past 2 days have been hell day travel days for work.

The game plays really well.  It's easy to grasp, so it makes for a good party game with friends. 

The game is a competitive campaign; each player takes a squad and builds them up.  Payout and loot at the end of each mission buys upgrades for the squad for the next.  It's somewhat competitive; you can pvp and attack other players as well as the monsters.  Characters that get killed can come back, but it does slow you down quite a bit.  There are various objectives around the map so that there's some decisions to be made about how you move, deploy, defend, and attack.  Combat is simplistic (dice rolls) but that keeps the game moving.  We were playing 1v1 and mostly coop (handshake agreement not to attack each other, although it was still a race to kill the monsters) and it is fun but pretty static with only 2 players.  I can see it being really fun in a 4v4 or a 2v2 team effort spread over several sessions.

In our house, a fully coop game works better, even something harsh like Kingdom Death or Shadows of Brimstone, where we aren't competing with each other.  Arcadia Quest is probably the rare exception where we'd play 1v1.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

Sorry for the slow response, past 2 days have been hell day travel days for work.

The game plays really well.  It's easy to grasp, so it makes for a good party game with friends. 

The game is a competitive campaign; each player takes a squad and builds them up.  Payout and loot at the end of each mission buys upgrades for the squad for the next.  It's somewhat competitive; you can pvp and attack other players as well as the monsters.  Characters that get killed can come back, but it does slow you down quite a bit.  There are various objectives around the map so that there's some decisions to be made about how you move, deploy, defend, and attack.  Combat is simplistic (dice rolls) but that keeps the game moving.  We were playing 1v1 and mostly coop (handshake agreement not to attack each other, although it was still a race to kill the monsters) and it is fun but pretty static with only 2 players.  I can see it being really fun in a 4v4 or a 2v2 team effort spread over several sessions.

In our house, a fully coop game works better, even something harsh like Kingdom Death or Shadows of Brimstone, where we aren't competing with each other.  Arcadia Quest is probably the rare exception where we'd play 1v1.

Thanks for the review. It was very insightful. Makes me want to try out the game. My sister and are play cooperative when a game allows it, such as Mage Knight. The rules for player-vs-player in that game are so complex, that me and my sister glanced at the rules only once and agreed to never attack each other.