Konas

On the lookout for awesome new games

10 hours ago, Lindsey Rode said:

How does Sentinels handle the Alpha Gamer issue?

It's been a while since I've played so I might be a little off the mark but after characters are chosen each player/hero has there own draw deck so if players play with a closed hand an alpha like myself can't tell them when or what to play. Also for groups that have alpha issues the unlock series is way better then exit I recommend it.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2017 at 11:42 AM, Konas said:

I play a lot of games. Mini games, board games, RPGs. I want to hear your suggestions for games that I MUST play. Games that are so good, I should buy them immediately and play them yesterday.

Look up lignum. It was given to me as a joke but it turned out to be a really good game.

6 hours ago, TeX001 said:

Look up lignum. It was given to me as a joke but it turned out to be a really good game.

I just looked Lingnum up.  The box lid is awesome.  I can see why someone would give the game to a wood worker.  I'm swimming in games now, and have pledged a ridiculous amount of more games this last year, so I'll pass on this one.  Otherwise I might have hopped onto Amazon.

6 hours ago, TeX001 said:

Oooh I don't know if I can pass that one up, it's just too thematic. I'll add it to our next batch of "research" games order.

Posted (edited)

For a new tabletop RPG, I HIGHLY recommend Numenera.  The setting is 1 BILLION years in Earth's future.  There have been 8 previous civilizations that have risen and fallen in that time, and the setting is now the "Ninth World."  Most of the setting is based around the famous Arthur C. Clarke quote "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."  All the "super-tech" from the previous civilizations is so advanced, like transporters and energy swords and such, that to the people of the Ninth World these things appear to be magic.  The whole setting is seeded with bizarre and seemingly impossible things.

The game system itself is similar to Fate, and is meant to be a very free-flowing narrative instead of being bogged down by numbers.  The game also has the most brilliant character generation method I've ever seen.

If you don't like the setting itself, the same rules system has been released as generic rules you can use to create your own setting (similar to Fate Core) called "The Cypher System."

Edited by TheAuthorOfOZ
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TheAuthorOfOZ said:

For a new tabletop RPG, I HIGHLY recommend Numenera.  The setting is 1 BILLION years in Earth's future.  There have been 8 previous civilizations that have risen and fallen in that time, and the setting is now the "Ninth World."  Most of the setting is based around the famous Arthur C. Clarke quote "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."  All the "super-tech" from the previous civilizations is so advanced, like transporters and energy swords and such, that to the people of the Ninth World these things appear to be magic.  The whole setting is seeded with bizarre and seemingly impossible things.

The game system itself is similar to Fate, and is meant to be a very free-flowing narrative instead of being bogged down by numbers.  The game also has the most brilliant character generation method I've ever seen.

If you don't like the setting itself, the same rules system has been released as generic rules you can use to create your own setting (similar to Fate Core)

We've talked about getting this RPG over and over again in the office but we never pulled the trigger. Hearing that it's similar to FATE (Dresden Files is a favorite here) makes me want to finally take the leap. 

Just now, Lindsey Rode said:

We've talked about getting this RPG over and over again in the office but we never pulled the trigger. Hearing that it's similar to FATE (Dresden Files is a favorite here) makes me want to finally take the leap. 

You won't regret it.  It doesn't tag Aspects like Dresden does, but the XP reward system is just like passing around Fate points.  Also: THE GM NEVER ROLLS DICE, freeing them up to simply tell the story.

Core mechanic:  The GM will give you a difficulty rating of a task from 0 to 10.  The target number you have to hit on a single d20 roll is 3 times that value.  "I wanna hit the orc."  "That's Difficulty 3, so roll a 9 or better."  Notice that Diff 7 is impossible, so bonuses and penalties slide you up or down the difficulty scale a certain number of times, increasing or decreasing your target number.

Character generation is really interesting, and in the end you will have a sentence that describe your character:  "I am an (adjective) (noun) who (verbs)."  There is a list of adjectives called Descriptors that have abilities attached to them (which describes your characters demeanor or something similar).  Then there's some nouns, which are essentially your character class where all your core abilities live.  And then there's a verb, which is your special snowflake abilities that further refine HOW you do the thing that you do.  So you could be "A Strong Glaive (fighter) who Bares a Halo of Fire" which allows you to use fire abilities and weapons and such.   But you could also be "An Intelligent Glaive who Explores Dark Places" which makes you a cross between a fighter and a rogue, and may also tap into "shadow magic."

Here's a current KS project.  They had a previous/similar project that was a big hit.  This is a new offering.  A game that fits into the size of a mint tin.  Easy to carry around and play when you have a little time to kill

@Barb Bliss The Mint Tin game box is a brilliant idea. Lindsey and I just played Rhino Hero the other night and it was fantastic and fun.

• Like 1

Just now, Konas said:

@Barb Bliss The Mint Tin game box is a brilliant idea. Lindsey and I just played Rhino Hero the other night and it was fantastic and fun.

They have a pledge option for back filling with the previous game.

On 8/29/2017 at 3:17 PM, Ian Coyle said:

Zombicide is a must-play if you're into mini's. Some of my other current favorites (non-mini) are Epic Resort, Pandemic, and Dead of Winter

I second Ian here, although I'm partial to Black Plague, and currently waiting on Green Horde.

I'm learning from reading this thread that I'm a much more lightweight gamer here, especially compared to @Barb Bliss. I also don't have much for game groups in my hometown even though we've got like 100K people, which is sad, so a lot of my gaming leans toward solo plays.

I'll still throw a couple suggestions though. When I get other people to play, I always like Quadropolis, and right now I am really enjoying Little Circuses.

1 minute ago, Adam said:

I second Ian here, although I'm partial to Black Plague, and currently waiting on Green Horde.

I'm learning from reading this thread that I'm a much more lightweight gamer here, especially compared to @Barb Bliss. I also don't have much for game groups in my hometown even though we've got like 100K people, which is sad, so a lot of my gaming leans toward solo plays.

I'll still throw a couple suggestions though. When I get other people to play, I always like Quadropolis, and right now I am really enjoying Little Circuses.

Adam, I have way too many games.  If you pay for the shipping, you can have some of mine that are good games, but just don't get much play time anymore.

4 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Adam, I have way too many games.  If you pay for the shipping, you can have some of mine that are good games, but just don't get much play time anymore.

I've got a good number of games, I just need more people close to me who are interested in tabletop games.

I only really got into the hobby in February 2016.

Just now, Adam said:

I've got a good number of games, I just need more people close to me who are interested in tabletop games.

I only really got into the hobby in February 2016.

The best way to find more people is to just ask around at work and the neighborhood.  If there is a gaming store in town, they may have "open game night" or some such thing.

Note: the offer for some of my games is open to anyone.  I'm running out of shelf space, and thanks to OCD and KS, I have a bunch heading my way in the next year.  One of the CMON games is coming on Tuesday!

2 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

The best way to find more people is to just ask around at work and the neighborhood.  If there is a gaming store in town, they may have "open game night" or some such thing.

Note: the offer for some of my games is open to anyone.  I'm running out of shelf space, and thanks to OCD and KS, I have a bunch heading my way in the next year.  One of the CMON games is coming on Tuesday!

You mentioned 6 or so games, is there a list of what's available?

1 minute ago, Adam said:

You mentioned 6 or so games, is there a list of what's available?

I'm not at the same location as my game rack, but what I recall is: Eclipse, Thurn and Taxis, Suburbia, Hell Rails, Race for the Galaxy, India Rails (dyslexic's nightmare), and Kill Dr. Lucky

23 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

I'm not at the same location as my game rack, but what I recall is: Eclipse, Thurn and Taxis, Suburbia, Hell Rails, Race for the Galaxy, India Rails (dyslexic's nightmare), and Kill Dr. Lucky

I could be interested in Suburbia.

Just now, Adam said:

I could be interested in Suburbia.

There's an expansion that I never even played in there. :-|  It's a 2-4 player game and the majority of the time, there are 5 people at game day.

Just now, Barb Bliss said:

There's an expansion that I never even played in there. :-|  It's a 2-4 player game and the majority of the time, there are 5 people at game day.

I know there's also a solo variant for it too.

Just now, Adam said:

I know there's also a solo variant for it too.

I hadn't seen that.  I've got about 5 games now with solo variants that are above it in the pecking order...

We just tried Kingdomino and it was a fantastic game! Great bar game too if you enjoy taking your nerdom to one of your local bars or breweries. 

• Like 1

Our local game store has a bulletin board where people often post looking for more notes with regards to gaming groups (RPG or Tabletop), I would look out for something like that. Might even be some facebook groups or the like out there if you look hard enough. Games are much more fun with friends

1 minute ago, Ian Coyle said:

Our local game store has a bulletin board where people often post looking for more notes with regards to gaming groups (RPG or Tabletop), I would look out for something like that. Might even be some facebook groups or the like out there if you look hard enough. Games are much more fun with friends

I will have to do that. We do have 3 FLGS in our city, so I do need to get out there. And, my 9 month old daughter sleeps like crap so Mom usually goes to sleep at the same time as her, so my evenings are pretty open.

• Like 1

@Barb Bliss you seem to do a lot of backing on Kickstarter. Did you back The 7th Continent? Or anyone else for that matter. The second wave Kickstarter is supposed to be starting on 9/26/17.

I've also found that you can generally have good success introducing non-gamer friends to games like Carcassonne, Settlers of Catan, or Ticket to Ride. They are games that don't have overly complex rules, are competitive but don't have to be cutthroat, and introduce them to a world where games are made for adults with more complex strategies to them. I've also had a lot of luck with cooperative games like Pandemic and Zombicide. Taking away the competitive nature of games can make it easier for folks that don't want to feel like they are at a disadvantage as a non-gamer. Plus the more experienced players can help ease them into their decisions without seeming self serving. You would be surprised at some of the people that I've been able to turn into board game geeks by just easing them into some of the classic euro-style games.

In the spirit of this thread, my gaming group recently started playing Codenames and found it to be a fantastic game. It's more of a party game, but was a blast. This gaming group is usually comprised of 3 couples, so we often play dudes vs ladies team games mixed in with our other games. Codenames worked great for this and everyone had a blast playing it. I'm pretty sure it's been around for a while, but I have to give credit to Wil Wheaton and the "Tabletop" crew for bringing it to my attention. On a related note, if you don't know about the "Tabletop" series, I highly recommend it. Wil Wheaton, of Star Trek TNG and Stand By Me fame, hosts 30-60 minute episodes where he and 3 or 4 of his actor/gaming friends play through a session of some great Tabletop games. I have to admit that I was introduced to probably half of my board game library through this medium. He explains the rules and then they play through the game. It's a fantastic way to 'play through' the game via proxy before committing to purchasing the game. I know I'm probably not alone in the trepidation at dropping $50-$100 on a board game at the FLGS without knowing if it will see more than one play through. This series allows you to see the gameplay and understand some of the rules (another priceless point since understanding the rule book can sometimes be a task in itself) before purchase. You can check out the episodes on the Geek and Sundry YouTube channel, or just search your favorite game with the keyword Tabletop and it will likely show up.