Konas

On the lookout for awesome new games

39 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Ok, I played the DMG game "Livestock Uprising".  It was on sale in February, so I figured what the heck, and bought it.  Nice artwork @Konas!  There are 4 armies.  Cows, goats, pig, and chickens.  Each animal group had a different advantage.  It was sort of fun, though I have to admit, Drew talking in a goat voice the entire time was the funnest part.  Most uttered (excuse the pun) phrase was "blah blah blah... kick the chicken." 

I get the cows.  Find the valuable/scarce resources like apples and squat on them.  If you'll excuse the pun, beef them up so they are hard to move.  I get the goats.  Continuously attack anyone weaker than themselves to keep them weak.  I get the pigs.  Try and build their armies up as quickly as possible into a super army first.  Now the chickens, I'm not sure how to play it other than flapping their wings and running away at the end of the game because they are weaker than everyone else, and hope that the heavy weights beat each other up first. 

Guess which one I "got to" play.  That's right.  The chicken everyone else had fun kicking.  To add insult to injury, the outer ring near my barn was a lot of forest, lakes, and open fields.   But I ran away relatively effectively until the cows and the goats thinned each other out, and then eventually lost to the pigs.  Then the pigs came after little old me.  Bawk!  Given I was the weakest army, 2nd place isn't that bad.

I've only played once (and not with DMG), but if I recall correctly, my bf found the best strategy with the chickens to be to rush. I want to say their attack power is decently high, but you're essentially a glass cannon. Things were delicate, though - I thought he was going to win when he tried to turn our friends against me, but he had to do that, otherwise he would have been too open for obliteration. My bf and my friend's husband teamed up and got their super armies really fast. My friend and I played them out until they were run dry. I think it came down to her and me... that or my bf and me... Not positive.

I played goats. I loved it.

What's up with the AuZtralia? Why the emphasis? I immediately thought it was a zombie thing.

Link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/portaldragon/palm-island-portable-card-game?ref=user_menu

Here is one that I decided to back almost immediately. Cheap, small, and very portable.  Looks like it a good game to have tucked away in a pocket or purse to play solo or with a friend when you have time on your hands--like waiting for your food to be delivered in a restaurant.

My sister and I have played Love Letter several times while waiting at IHOPS for our food.

5 hours ago, RomyCat said:

Link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/portaldragon/palm-island-portable-card-game?ref=user_menu

Here is one that I decided to back almost immediately. Cheap, small, and very portable.  Looks like it a good game to have tucked away in a pocket or purse to play solo or with a friend when you have time on your hands--like waiting for your food to be delivered in a restaurant.

My sister and I have played Love Letter several times while waiting at IHOPS for our food.

This is why I backed Mint Delivery.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

This is why I backed Mint Delivery.

I backed Mint Delivery also. Its nice to have small, portable games.

I checked out the Stray Cats game. Its very cute.

Edited by RomyCat

44ff3fb93d7f597d35022cb1c4d119e3_original.jpg.77533ab70e7855f7703b51f8c10807a6.jpg

FREE miniature metal Cthulhu for ALL backers once we pass $200,000

• Cthulhu will be added FREE for all Kickstarter backers if we go over $200k

• Sculpted by a British Jeweller, it is being cast in solid metal and chrome plated

• Cthulhu will be in the game box, not shipped separately

• He won’t be in the retail edition, but may be available to buy later if stocks remain. This is a limited edition one-off that won’t be repeated.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/278847765/auztralia-board-game-by-martin-wallace/description

Chronicles of Crime is killing it in Kickstarter.  Just a couple of days left.  Next up is a "film noir" scenario.

Anyone played Dinosaur Island?  I'm considering but at a high price point I'm not sure.  I've heard mixed reviews.

33 minutes ago, yatescory said:

Anyone played Dinosaur Island?  I'm considering but at a high price point I'm not sure.  I've heard mixed reviews.

A few of us backed Dinogenics, which has a similar theme.  I preferred the art style of that one to Dinosaur Island, and Dinogenics looked more fun from a game-mechanism perspective.  I caveat that I haven’t played either yet; my preference is based off reads of the rules.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, LuckyIke said:

I like this twist on the zombie genre; it’s a fun concept!

Fire in the Library looks cool too.  I backed that one.  I put a reminder on this one.  I want to see a play through and read the rule book before pledging.

13 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

I think Dinogenics is better than back from extinction.  You might want to check it out.  It even has Z-Rex.

Architects is similar to several games I have already.

Concur on Dinogenics.  @Barb Bliss We should start getting a commission for all the cheerleading we do for them!  I am excited for the fences, of all things.  I want to build little wooden paddocks for my little wooden Dino meeples, then feed them meeple goats.  What, we’re supposed to play the actual game? Okay okay, give me a minute to set up this velociraptor meeple ambush then we can start. 

Bonus: we can use the rube meeples from Barker’s row as tourists!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, LuckyIke said:

Concur on Dinogenics.  @Barb Bliss We should start getting a commission for all the cheerleading we do for them!  I am excited for the fences, of all things.  I want to build little wooden paddocks for my little wooden Dino meeples, then feed them meeple goats.  What, we’re supposed to play the actual game? Okay okay, give me a minute to set up this velociraptor meeple ambush then we can start. 

Bonus: we can use the rube meeples from Barker’s row as tourists!

Excellent suggestion about the rubes!