Sign in to follow this  
EdInSeattle

Your favorite "generic" RPG?

I'm getting the "revised" (the publishers are firm that this is not a "new" edition) corebook for the Cypher RPG soon, in part because I'm continuing my quest for a good rule-set that could be adopted to multiple genres.  I have this dream of running a series of one-shots/short campaigns for friends without making them have to learn a new system every time I change from cyberpunk to space fantasy to "historical occult adventure".  The catch is I like rules with some crunch and a clearly-defined "GM/player" dynamic, versus some of the more collaborative-style games that have become popular in the last decade.  I guess I'm just old-fashioned--get off my lawn, Apocalypse World!  ;)  

Thus far I've run games in Fate and Savage Worlds (and, well, GURPS, but that was a long time ago.  Don't look at me like that it was the 90's, everybody experimented back then), and I've played AW and the new Firefly game.  Cypher seems to fall somewhere in the middle of the "rules crunch scale" (where, say, Shadowrun is at the "maximum crunch" end, and AW is at the "collaborative storytelling" end), in that there are still mechanics and a DM to create and run the adventure, but the players have the ability to alter the world around them to a degree.  

Anyway, I have high hopes, but was curious if anyone else has gone down this road and had any insights on how well Cypher system works running games not set in a Monte Cook world!  I've already dabbled a bit with Cypher, and the reason I'm interested in the revised version is they say they address the issue of how to integrate the cyphers themselves into settings where players aren't necessarily stumbling over random treasure all the time.  

And, of course, if you have a favorite generic RPG rule-set, feel free to share it, and why it works for you!  

I have nowhere near the depth that you do. I came in to recommend FATE and GURPS.  :P

As I continued to read, the other SciFi engine that I'm aware of is the Expanse RPG.  I bought a copy for the fluff but don't know where the engine lands on the spectrum of crunch.  You can download the quickstart PDF for free from the KS campaign.