RomyCat

Worst Defeats

There are plenty of times I almost beat my sister. Then there are the devastating losses where I'm embarrassed to even admit the score was mine.   So what are some of your worst defeats you dare to admit?

My Cooperative  Disaster Story

I played Codenames Duet for the first time today. Thirteen games later, my sister and I had only won once. Stupid assassins. They can be anywhere, even a snowman. At this rate, we will never reach our second city (you can play the game as a campaign).

I must admit, despite us losing so much, we had a blast. This is my favorite version of Codenames so far. We are determined to win more scenarios, hopefully before we have gray hair.

Edited by RomyCat
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Had a similar experience with Code Names classic, where in round 1, guess 1, the guy picks the assassin because he put the clue completely differently in his head than any of us expected.

Give me some time to think about what my WORST defeat was though...

• Like 1

It was fun playing those 13 games of Codenames Duet. We only stopped because it was after 11:30 pm and Romy was tired. I was ready to lose...I mean win...some more games.

• Like 1

We are fans of Jim Butcher's* the Dresden Files, so when the COOP card game hit kickstarter, Mrs. Zoxe was an all-in backer.

We've yet to win a 2-player game.  It feels like we know what we're doing right up until ... we don't. :)  I really should change scenarios and try again.

*Trivia:  Jim Butcher being the keynote author at GenCon a few years ago was the catalyst that got me to attend, which started us down our current path of geekery.

• Like 3

The first time I played Empire Builder, I had amassed only $52m when my buddy Bob won with $250m.  I went out and bought the game, and played it about 5 times against myself before trying to play with Bob and Margie again.  I amassed $127m before Bob won.  Crap!  I played it some more with some other people, and picked up some tips, and tried to play against Bob again.  $200m.  Double Crap!  Eventually I beat Bob and there was much dancing, and rejoicing.  We had many battles after that, and I won about half of them!  But the joke was on me.  Bob and Margie moved to North Carolina, and no one here will play me because they can't win.  They even gave me the nickname "Evil Empire".

Edited by Barb Bliss
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

@Lindsey and I were playing a game of Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn. It was my first game ever. She had been a playtester for Plaid Hat for this game for years. I lucked out and had her on the ropes.....until....I made one wrong move and she crushed me. I so would have loved to beat her in that first game but, alas, it was not meant to be.

1 hour ago, Konas said:

@Lindsey and I were playing a game of Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn. It was my first game ever. She had been a playtester for Plaid Hat for this game for years. I lucked out and had her on the ropes.....until....I made one wrong move and she crushed me. I so would have loved to beat her in that first game but, alas, it was not meant to be.

Just to be clear you never had me on the ropes. I just didn't want to make you have a terrible first experience by crushing you...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I have lost many games by vast margins, but I wouldn’t consider those among my worst defeats.  As long as I had fun playing I don’t mind getting trounced once in awhile - such as in Splendor against Mrs Ike.  No, it is the games where victory was oh so close, only to be snatched away at the last minute, that have a lasting impact.

I am quite fond of Richard Borg’s Command and Colors system, and have one pal in particular with whom I have battled more times than I can count.  This particular evening, we decided on a good round of C&C Napoleonics, coupled of course with several good rounds of beer.  No Orcs nor Dragons were to be found on this battlefield.  It was just brave French and British lads, whose only crime was being born poor, thrust into the crucible of combat.  It was not to be any old battle, no, for this evening would be Waterloo! 

DE0A678C-AC80-4135-A871-F53C95E25019.jpeg.1f4a03aa8ba06838401ff8a61fdd7fa7.jpeg

It was a tightly fought battle, and we traded blows back and forth.  My opponent, commanding the French, pressed his attack to secure the key central town of Le Haye Sainte.  As he did so, his reserves remained far in the rear, notably his Old Guard regiment, his most formidable unit.  He seized the town and my battered regiments regrouped for a counterattack.

With much bloodshed and effort, my weary troops forced his occupying forces out of the town. Victory was within my grasp. All I had to do was move into the town, eliminate one last unit, and I would have it.

Then he played this damn card:EAC59EFC-A176-4D0B-8464-441384D45B03.thumb.jpeg.ed7136178b9d5a079c54b6bfd136f4ec.jpeg

Before I know it, the elite Old Guard skipped ahead four hexes and  happily camped in the town center, supported by three other full strength line regiments.  I was depleted, and quickly defeated.

We both agreed to house rule that card out of the deck.  In a game built around slow rising actions, careful positioning, and timing, that one card threw everything to the wind.  

TLDR:  I am still grumpy about that time my good friend beat me in a war game by playing a sneaky card at just the right moment.

• Like 1

@LuckyIke, this sort of reminded me of something similar only it was the game itself lowering to boom.  It wasn't me that got hammered, but it was still funny as all get out.  The game was North American Rails.  All this woman had to do was to take her three commodies down to Mexico City and she crushed the other four of us like bugs.  She ended her turn 2 spots outside of Mexico City.  Another player then made a drop off so they could come in a distant second.  That drop off caused a new card to be drawn.  It was a news card.  EARTHQUAKE!!!  All people within 3 spots of Mexico City lose two loads and a turn.  She kind of shook up and down while she read the card and then fell out of her chair onto the floor.  We all broke up laughing.  She still managed to go back and pick up her two lost loads and won, but it was a lot closer.

• Haha 3

Game: Explorers of the North Sea

Played with a friend from work and her husband.

My game plan was crap from the start, and apparently I executed it to perfection because the final scores were:

Work friend's husband: 59

Work friend: 58

Me: 19

• Haha 2

Gloomhaven.

Turn 1, game 1, starter scenario.  Two player game so there are 3 guards in the first room, plus our two heroes.

Our plucky Mind Thief decided to start aggressively and ends up first on our initiative list.  Moves up, melee attack on the guards.  Draws a -1 combat modifier and proceeds to only deal a couple of points of damage.  All bad guys are still up.

The Brute decided to start slow, meaning all 3 bad guys are next in initiative.  They surround the Mind Thief.  Splat.

We are about 3 minutes into our Gloomhaven career.  

"Huh, let's reset and try that again...."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

Gloomhaven.

Turn 1, game 1, starter scenario.  Two player game so there are 3 guards in the first room, plus our two heroes.

Our plucky Mind Thief decided to start aggressively and ends up first on our initiative list.  Moves up, melee attack on the guards.  Draws a -1 combat modifier and proceeds to only deal a couple of points of damage.  All bad guys are still up.

The Brute decided to start slow, meaning all 3 bad guys are next in initiative.  They surround the Mind Thief.  Splat.

We are about 3 minutes into our Gloomhaven career.  

"Huh, let's reset and try that again...."

At least it didn't take too long to reset.  ?

• Haha 2

Wow, that was a short game. If I remember right, there is a way to maybe discard cards to make up for damage. Which can keep you alive longer.  But losing a lot of card near beginning of game....I would just reset.

Going to be playing some more Gloomhaven soon myself.

3 hours ago, RomyCat said:

Wow, that was a short game. If I remember right, there is a way to maybe discard cards to make up for damage. Which can keep you alive longer.  But losing a lot of card near beginning of game....I would just reset.

Going to be playing some more Gloomhaven soon myself.

Still trying to get my group together.  My wolverine neighbor is pumped about it, but he travels A LOT for work, so getting it scheduled has been a struggle.