Jump to content
Barb Bliss

War in Christmas Village - story development

Recommended Posts

 I have a game "night" on 12/22.  The plan is to play Roll Player, and then take them on a journey to "War in Christmas Village".  I WELCOME ANY/ALL IDEAS AS TO WHAT TO DO.  I thought I'd have fortune teller tell them to follow the white rabbit (ala Neo and the matrix and Jefferson Airplane).  Then there is a bunny ("Cotton") with a gun belt slung over one shoulder.  I'll have him running by saying "We're late!" over and over and "Come on!  Come on then." here and there while waving his six shooter over his head.  They have to follow or we can just start drinking.  They'll get into a sheltered glen.  The bunny then will say something like "Thank you for coming, but I have a feeling you're going to be sorry you did.  By the way, I hope you like snow."  Then the portal zips them to the north pole.

The 50,000 foot level premise is that there is a Krampus like woman named (a little help here).  She was beautiful and popular once, but has since been transformed into an evil creature by a warlock that she spurned.  So now she's determined to wipe out happiness in the world, and what a better start than to destroy Christmas from the inside out.  She cast a spell over Christmas Village.  She has Santa believing all children are not nice.  Instead of giving toys that would be loved, he's got the elves developing deadly toys.  Note: The elves are happy to oblige, as they are tired of making toys for kids and then seeing them ignored because it's not an electronic device.  So far they've created evil toys like Chuckie, treent Christmas trees, and mimic presents.  The reindeer are also affected by the spell.  Rudolf has started turning into a zombie, and Blitzen has taken to walking on 2 legs, drinking, shooting, and smoking Camels.

Anyhoo, Mrs Claus sees the changes in her husband (and elves, reindeer, et.al.) but can't convince him that what he's doing is wrong.  Others like her (of strong constitution), have been quietly banding together to figure out what's going on and try to fix the problem.  The Easter Bunny and Burl Ives Snowman are allies of Mrs Claus.  The snowman has some magic ability of his own, and creates a portal for the Easter Bunny to bring heros to help save Christmas.

Note: When Santa flies off on Christmas eve, if the house is inhabited by Michigan fans that never went to the school (aka Walverines), he's to put lumps of coal in their stockings and bludgeon any children found inside with the coal sock.  Madam Krampus may be evil and all, but if she's going to eat children, it might as be little Walverines.  The world would be a better place less of them strutting around. 

I have the Christmas Treent (how evil are your branches) and packages, fighting elves, and these. The top link I have in my hot little hands (where bunny ideas came from), but the bottom two have to ship yet.  They say the 12th for ship date, but I live about 10 miles from a distribution center, and sometimes I get lucky and things ship fast if the items are in that distribution center and another deliver is going to my street.  So bear that in mind when making suggestions.

https://www.amazon.com/War-Christmas-Village-Mistletoe-Misfits/dp/B07N3WSMQQ/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075MBSB1W/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N3YFVY7/

 

I'll post more pictures as I take them.  The elves are done, and the evil toy is close to being done.

image.png.230c624508696fc4d0c7414589cdee02.png

image.png.3316e94d8a5752ba6ea45331031c899b.png

Edited by Barb Bliss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2019 at 3:18 PM, Barb Bliss said:

 I have a game "night" on 12/22.  The plan is to play Roll Player, and then take them on a journey to "War in Christmas Village".  I WELCOME ANY/ALL IDEAS AS TO WHAT TO DO.  I thought I'd have fortune teller tell them to follow the white rabbit (ala Neo and the matrix and Jefferson Airplane).  Then there is a bunny ("Cotton") with a gun belt slung over one shoulder.  I'll have him running by saying "We're late!" over and over and "Come on!  Come on then." here and there while waving his six shooter over his head.  They have to follow or we can just start drinking.  They'll get into a sheltered glen.  The bunny then will say something like "Thank you for coming, but I have a feeling you're going to be sorry you did.  By the way, I hope you like snow."  Then the portal zips them to the north pole.

The 50,000 foot level premise is that there is a Krampus like woman named (a little help here).  She was beautiful and popular once, but has since been transformed into an evil creature by a warlock that she spurned.  So now she's determined to wipe out happiness in the world, and what a better start than to destroy Christmas from the inside out.  She cast a spell over Christmas Village.  She has Santa believing all children are not nice.  Instead of giving toys that would be loved, he's got the elves developing deadly toys.  Note: The elves are happy to oblige, as they are tired of making toys for kids and then seeing them ignored because it's not an electronic device.  So far they've created evil toys like Chuckie, treent Christmas trees, and mimic presents.  The reindeer are also affected by the spell.  Rudolf has started turning into a zombie, and Blitzen has taken to walking on 2 legs, drinking, shooting, and smoking Camels.

Anyhoo, Mrs Claus sees the changes in her husband (and elves, reindeer, et.al.) but can't convince him that what he's doing is wrong.  Others like her (of strong constitution), have been quietly banding together to figure out what's going on and try to fix the problem.  The Easter Bunny and Burl Ives Snowman are allies of Mrs Claus.  The snowman has some magic ability of his own, and creates a portal for the Easter Bunny to bring heros to help save Christmas.

Note: When Santa flies off on Christmas eve, if the house is inhabited by Michigan fans that never went to the school (aka Walverines), he's to put lumps of coal in their stockings and bludgeon any children found inside with the coal sock.  Madam Krampus may be evil and all, but if she's going to eat children, it might as be little Walverines.  The world would be a better place less of them strutting around. 

I have the Christmas Treent (how evil are your branches) and packages, fighting elves, and these. The top link I have in my hot little hands (where bunny ideas came from), but the bottom two have to ship yet.  They say the 12th for ship date, but I live about 10 miles from a distribution center, and sometimes I get lucky and things ship fast if the items are in that distribution center and another deliver is going to my street.  So bear that in mind when making suggestions.

https://www.amazon.com/War-Christmas-Village-Mistletoe-Misfits/dp/B07N3WSMQQ/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075MBSB1W/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N3YFVY7/

 

I'll post more pictures as I take them.  The elves are done, and the evil toy is close to being done.

image.png.230c624508696fc4d0c7414589cdee02.png

image.png.3316e94d8a5752ba6ea45331031c899b.png

@Barb Bliss first off your figures look fantastic.  You’re awesome at mini painting.

with regard to your scenario are you needing help to put together a role play scenario or is this something like players will play several games and so you have a narrative connecting them from game to game?  Just trying to understand before I start popping suggestions :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tgpumpkin said:

@Barb Bliss first off your figures look fantastic.  You’re awesome at mini painting.

with regard to your scenario are you needing help to put together a role play scenario or is this something like players will play several games and so you have a narrative connecting them from game to game?  Just trying to understand before I start popping suggestions :) 

I'd love some help with the role playing scenario.  I want them to have a fun adventure after creating their characters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a fantastic idea. I think the story is great. What would be the main location? I think Santa's Workshop could be very cool. It could be this wonderful, fantastical place that is now tainted by the spell. Think about special abilities for the tainted foes. Maybe there's weird jack in the boxes that play a tune devastatingly loud before exploding, things like that. 

2 simple things to remember for any campaign. Make the foes memorable. And make the locations unusual. With foes, I always try to make them annoying in some way. Really aggravating. Either with an annoying voice or language choices. Also, make them harm one of the allies, like the Easter Bunny. 

For locations, I try to use a lot of different levels. As players, fighting foes in separate 'spots' is tougher. Don't line them up and let the PCs run up and murder them. Make one on the main floor, 2 on a balcony, and one flying around in a toy plane. Something like the North Pole offers a lot of interesting possibilities. I imagine it would be infused with magic, even better now because it is tainted. Beside the interior of the workshop it could have Elven homes in the trees, frozen lakes, Santa's weird little home, stuff like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Konas said:

This is a fantastic idea. I think the story is great. What would be the main location? I think Santa's Workshop could be very cool. It could be this wonderful, fantastical place that is now tainted by the spell. Think about special abilities for the tainted foes. Maybe there's weird jack in the boxes that play a tune devastatingly loud before exploding, things like that. 

2 simple things to remember for any campaign. Make the foes memorable. And make the locations unusual. With foes, I always try to make them annoying in some way. Really aggravating. Either with an annoying voice or language choices. Also, make them harm one of the allies, like the Easter Bunny. 

For locations, I try to use a lot of different levels. As players, fighting foes in separate 'spots' is tougher. Don't line them up and let the PCs run up and murder them. Make one on the main floor, 2 on a balcony, and one flying around in a toy plane. Something like the North Pole offers a lot of interesting possibilities. I imagine it would be infused with magic, even better now because it is tainted. Beside the interior of the workshop it could have Elven homes in the trees, frozen lakes, Santa's weird little home, stuff like that.

I was thinking about having Cotton take them to the stable (to rendezvous with Mrs Claus and Burl Ives Snowman (Burly???) ).  They can talk to Blitzen.  Blitzen could talk about seeing a cloaked figure in the woods behind the workshop.  I like the flying around idea, but maybe turn that into the flying zombie Rudolf that doesn't "hurt anyone" but does laugh and click his heals when he poops on someone.  

Better to fight the hag at/around a cabin in the woods or at the workshop?  Like having her operate out of a store room?  I sort of like the idea of the visit to the workshop just being an investigation of what's going on and stumbling onto the secret lair and the prototypes/elves/zombies et. al. are called into action to attack the heroes.

How do "the rules" work now a days for hits and misses?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

I was thinking about having Cotton take them to the stable (to rendezvous with Mrs Claus and Burl Ives Snowman (Burly???) ).  They can talk to Blitzen.  Blitzen could talk about seeing a cloaked figure in the woods behind the workshop.  I like the flying around idea, but maybe turn that into the flying zombie Rudolf that doesn't "hurt anyone" but does laugh and click his heals when he poops on someone.  

Better to fight the hag at/around a cabin in the woods or at the workshop?  Like having her operate out of a store room?  I sort of like the idea of the visit to the workshop just being an investigation of what's going on and stumbling onto the secret lair and the prototypes/elves/zombies et. al. are called into action to attack the heroes.

How do "the rules" work now a days for hits and misses?

I don't think it matters where they fight the hag, just make it a cool spot. Make all the areas that fights occur really cool and different. You have a ton of latitude because of the 'magical' location. Wherever they fight the hag, make it the most 'tainted' of all the sites.

I don't know what you mean by hits and misses. I haven't played Roll Player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Konas said:

I don't think it matters where they fight the hag, just make it a cool spot. Make all the areas that fights occur really cool and different. You have a ton of latitude because of the 'magical' location. Wherever they fight the hag, make it the most 'tainted' of all the sites.

I don't know what you mean by hits and misses. I haven't played Roll Player. 

If an enemy or hero swings at a foe, how do I know what value on the D20 (or above) hits the foe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

If an enemy or hero swings at a foe, how do I know what value on the D20 (or above) hits the foe?

Gotcha. Generally, an enemy has an Armor Class, or AC, that is based on the armor they wear and/or their dexterity. It can also involve other factors, like magic rings of protection, natural armor, blah blah. Generally, and this goes for every d20 system, 10 is a baseline. 15 is pretty good. 20 is VERY good. Above 25 is godlike. An AC is a static number that the hero must achieve to succeed on a hit. They roll the d20 and add any bonuses they would get for fighter levels, excellent strength, magic weapons, etc.

i.e. A Hero decides to attack a tainted elf. The elf is pretty nimble but has no armor at all. I would say his AC is around a 13, pretty average as a mook should be. The strong fighter of the party tries to hit him with a +1 magic sword. The fighter adds his strength bonus, say +2, to his roll as well as a 'good fighter' bonus, often called a base attack bonus in DnD, say +2 in this case. So he rolls a d20, adds a total of +5 to that result and hits on a result of 13 or higher. So he needs to roll an 8 or better.

This is really the basis for any d20 system. If you kind of understand the general 15 is a decent average, then you can really make up the numbers on the fly if you need to. The BBEG, your evil hag, should be hard to hit due to magic defenses, maybe an AC in the low 20s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

fyi, this is up on KS now.  The Gingerbread Gang!

image.png.8e77f7a73026d3ccd79825fd778bc432.png

Looks like you have your follow up for next year! The Gingerbred Gang comes down from the North Pole to get their revenge on the PCs!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Konas said:

Looks like you have your follow up for next year! The Gingerbred Gang comes down from the North Pole to get their revenge on the PCs!

The baker is the bad gal.  They smell like cinnamon, nutmeg, and anger.  Maybe the hag's sister.  

Hopefully it funds.  They tried in July and it got cancelled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

They smell like cinnamon, nutmeg, and anger

Classic! There's a title for the adventure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

The Easter Bunny is almost done.  I'm swinging back and forth between Cotton and Edgar Winter for his name.

image.png.808f5017c2bcb1461a4e7e53f421c647.png image.png.88dd34fe7308984e9d36b2269a423408.png

Hah! Edgar Winter easy! Great name! 

This festive paint scheme really fits your style. Nicely done. Now, the important question, will you finish painting and creating the campaign in time?!?!?!?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Konas said:

Hah! Edgar Winter easy! Great name! 

This festive paint scheme really fits your style. Nicely done. Now, the important question, will you finish painting and creating the campaign in time?!?!?!?!

Time will tell.  I have the hag, mouse king, and Blitzen are more than half done.  Jack Frost, the hunter, and toy soldier are more than a third done.  The next two boxes of minis show up about when I'm mostly done.  What will help is after today, I only have 3 days of work left for the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Time will tell.  I have the hag, mouse king, and Blitzen are more than half done.  Jack Frost, the hunter, and toy soldier are more than a third done.  The next two boxes of minis show up about when I'm mostly done.  What will help is after today, I only have 3 days of work left for the year.

Lucky dog.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Konas said:

Lucky dog.

Old habit.  Between getting laid off everytime a Bush is in office and taking care of aging parents, I've horded my vaca until the end of the year for about 20 years.  It's money if I got laid off and if I had to leave to take care of one of my parents, I had PTO available to take.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wanted to share this yesterday but the site was down. There is some very cool ideas about creating and running a cool villain here written by some of the best DnD minds around. The type is very small on the 7 articles. Start at the bottom one, 'Basic Villainy'.

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd%2Farch%2Fvb&fbclid=IwAR1SwNp70VTpTHlJx1uS0CQ3KWX6PX639wPdyJVhXnUCYS0297ZVCnivbtA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Konas said:

I wanted to share this yesterday but the site was down. There is some very cool ideas about creating and running a cool villain here written by some of the best DnD minds around. The type is very small on the 7 articles. Start at the bottom one, 'Basic Villainy'.

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd%2Farch%2Fvb&fbclid=IwAR1SwNp70VTpTHlJx1uS0CQ3KWX6PX639wPdyJVhXnUCYS0297ZVCnivbtA

I guess I know what I'm doing tonight while paint is drying.  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

I guess I know what I'm doing tonight while paint is drying.  Thanks!

YW. I have been thinking about creating a good villain for the March visit campaign. I have some good ideas. Maybe I'll pitch them to you via email as we get closer and as I get a clearer picture in my mind.

So...wait a minute...did the bank actually block the WOTC site or is it just a wider basic blocked net?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Konas said:

YW. I have been thinking about creating a good villain for the March visit campaign. I have some good ideas. Maybe I'll pitch them to you via email as we get closer and as I get a clearer picture in my mind.

So...wait a minute...did the bank actually block the WOTC site or is it just a wider basic blocked net?

Not sure.  But is feels like if a site doesn't have certain things or has certain things that are not secure, it won't launch.  And if too many hits happen (like KS), it gets blocked.  It's annoying anyway.  You have a problem, google the problem, find a link that may have a solution, SORRY you can't see it.  smh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the emergence (please fund!!!) of the gingerbread gang, I'm thinking maybe the villain for this one should be Santa's brother (evil twin that was exiled until he escaped) and save the hag for the follow on.  The campaign suggested the name Sugarplum Mary Sparklepants.  Had been evil twin's sweetheart until he was whisked away.

Edited by Barb Bliss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...