Games You'd Love to Play but Don't

What games would you love to play, but can't/won't, or don't?

(Ground rules: None. Can be a game in your pile of shame, or can be a game that you've been interested in but never bought.  Could be a game that you wanted to play, but maybe the popularity flashed and the community died).

My short list of stuff I would love to play:
- Arena Rex
- Guild Ball
- Warmahordes
- Wild West Exodus
- Gloomhaven

Of these, I own Gloomhaven (but have very limited play).  I actually own a fair bit of Warmahordes, but got into it just before the local fanbase went to Infinity and Warhammer.  WWX has some really awesome models and I always linger at their convention booth, but just can't bite off another game engine.

Honorable Mention:  I didn't back Massive Darkness due to $$ at the time. I've often thought I should go procure a core box, but will also admit I have 2 other CMON games that don't see play at the moment.

Edited by Zoxe

I love the Mayfair train games.  British Rails, Iron Dragon, Empire Builder, Russian Rails, Eurorails, etc.  I can't get anyone to play with me anymore.  The other big fans moved away, and the casual fans are tired of me crushing them.

Runner up: Gloomhaven.  I can't find a dedicated group to play it.

5 hours ago, Zoxe said:

(Ground rules: None. Can be a game in your pile of shame, or can be a game that you've been interested in but never bought.  Could be a game that you wanted to play, but maybe the popularity flashed and the community died).

- Arena Rex
- Guild Ball
- Warmahordes
- Wild West Exodus
- Gloomhaven

Of these, I own Gloomhaven (but have very limited play).  I actually own a fair bit of Warmahordes, but got into it just before the local fanbase went to Infinity and Warhammer.  WWX has some really awesome models and I always linger at their convention booth, but just can't bite off another game engine.

Honorable Mention:  I didn't back Massive Darkness due to $$ at the time. I've often thought I should go procure a core box, but will also admit I have 2 other CMON games that don't see play at the moment.

I've enjoyed Massive Darkness a lot.  Once you get the rules down, it moves pretty quick.  That and the countless hours that I spent painting the minis.  Perhaps we can meet in the middle (Wisconsin?) sometime and I can bring the minis/game.

On 12/7/2019 at 9:28 AM, Zoxe said:

- Arena Rex
- Guild Ball
- Warmahordes
- Wild West Exodus
- Gloomhaven

I have played a number of these and feel similarly. Arena Rex has INCREDIBLE models but, in my experience, the game is very simplistic and gets a tad boring. In the 10 or so games of it I have played, it usually devolves into a lot of pushing into pits. Pits are an instakill and to push someone into a pit, you inevitably, have to get near that same pit. Then they push you into it....etc. They also release very slowly.

Guild Ball is fantastic. The models are very cool. For me, this suffers almost from the other extreme from Arena Rex. Faction play is complex and they release a ton for it. Almost too fast. Hard to keep up with. But, the game is quite good.

Warmahordes models are insane. Great quality and fun to paint. This game seems as deep as you want to make it. Not pleased with the turnover to an app in place of cards. I really am not a fan.

If I may suggest something that may be a nice medium for you. The new genre of Kitchen Table mini games. These are skirmish games that fit on your table and are less sprawling in content. Aristeia by Corvus Belli or Monsterpacolypse from Privateer Press are two great examples. I fully enjoy both of these games. All of the benefits of a full mini game without the huge overhead to get into before realizing you like it or not. The models for both games are excellent and really different and genre breaking. Neither is strictly 'fantasy' which is a nice change. You could purchase 10 minis for each game and have 2 very cool teams to play for each. We paint the minis from Aristeia and then use a draft system before each game. It works very well. You still get the 'team building' feeling that you would from Hordes or Guild Ball, but not the huge buy in and not at all limited by faction.

Just my 2 cents.

I guess I should answer the question too.

I really want to play Rising Sun. Been trying to for a few weeks now but stuff keeps popping up. Also want to run a full campaign of the Legends of the Five Rings RPG. We've had a few one shots but really want the depth of a campaign. The delay has mostly been due to me pushing because I haven't prepped. Lastly, I REALLY want to GM a game of Outbreak:Genlab Alpha. I started this two years ago but the group split after 2 sessions. Too many players with newborns in the group. (You want to make sure you have a game group that breaks up quickly, add a few newborns to the equation).

9 hours ago, Konas said:

Warmahordes models are insane. Great quality and fun to paint. This game seems as deep as you want to make it. Not pleased with the turnover to an app in place of cards. I really am not a fan.

I like physical cards too. Dropfleet is moving towards a web-based format, but the community still prints hardcopies to play with! Best of both worlds and not a phone/tablet in sight at the table.

I've got a special place for Warmachine. We went to Gencon 2014 as PC Gamers but not tabletop gamers, and the Priv Press booth was NUTS.  I walked in and was like, "WHAT IS THAT? MUST HAVE!!" and dived into a bunch of nerd research.  At the time, the thought of assembly and paint stopped me short, and I eventually went down the path of X-Wing instead.  I always kinda felt like I missed out on that golden era of Warmahordes.

Fast Forward a couple of years.  At that point I'm getting into the hobby side and I think "ok, it's time to get in!" and I buy a Menoth starter set and a few solos.  This is when the MkIII stuff hits, I felt blindsided by it, and within a few months the community locally died.  I stalled out - the bottom layer of my pile of shame is built on a Menoth foundation.  :)  Meanwhile I've picked up a few more kits in their warehouse blowouts and Mrs. Zoxe started collecting the Grymkin models.  But we still don't play, hah.

9 hours ago, Konas said:

If I may suggest something that may be a nice medium for you. The new genre of Kitchen Table mini games. These are skirmish games that fit on your table and are less sprawling in content. Aristeia by Corvus Belli or Monsterpacolypse from Privateer Press are two great examples.

I'll take a look!