Zoxe

Favorite Holiday Movies

Thought I'd start a tangent to the Movie Quote thread.  What are your favorite holiday movies or specials?  

My favorite holiday movie is the 80s version of A Christmas Carol with George C. Scott as Scrooge.

We don't watch a lot of network TV, so for a couple of decades I got away from the TV specials of my youth.  Last year I found Frosty the Snowman, Claymation Christmas Celebration, and A Garfield Christmas on youtube (we had it recorded to VHS back in the day and almost wore out the tape), and this year Rudolph is free on Amazon Prime.  Fun times.

Ocean's 11 resonates as a Holiday movie for me.  When we first bought the DVD, it was a stressful time at work and the first time we watched it we were in our old house with only the Christmas tree lights to illuminate the house.  Was the perfect 'movie night' with holiday overtones on a night that I very much needed to escape for a bit.

Thanksgiving:  planes, trains, and automobiles

christmas:  Christmas story, national lampoons Christmas vacation, Scrooged, die hard, 

naturally all Charlie Brown specials reign supreme but I acknowledge they’re not movie length.  

If you haven't seen it yet, Pocket Full of Miracles, is a must see.  It's not really tied to Christmas like some of the others mentioned, but there is a Christmas tree in it :-)

2nd place: Home for the Holidays with Holly Hunter, Robert Downey Junior, and that dreamy guy from "The Practice".  A definite sleeper winner.

37 minutes ago, Blinkus Maximus said:

Every year, my family watches Elf, A Christmas Story, Die Hard, and Trading Places (They take place during Christmas, they count!).

Once you go with a man with no legs, you never go back.  Hey Where are you going baby? ; It was the Dukes!  It was the Dukes!  It was the Dukes!  -- Trading Places

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Once you go with a man with no legs, you never go back.  Hey Where are you going baby? ; It was the Dukes!  It was the Dukes!  It was the Dukes!  -- Trading Places

Beef Jerky time!

3 minutes ago, Blinkus Maximus said:

Beef Jerky time!

Sounds like you guys are a couple of bookies. ;  Monkey!  Monkey!  I'm a gorilla, you clown.  -->  Hey hey hey  Look what happened to me.

Edited by Barb Bliss

My favorite holiday movie is Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, a modern take on the film noir detective story that features Robert Downey Jr., Michelle Monaghan, and Val Kilmer exploring the seedy underbelly of Los Angeles during Christmas season.

3 minutes ago, LuckyIke said:

My favorite holiday movie is Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, a modern take on the film noir detective story that features Robert Downey Jr., Michelle Monaghan, and Val Kilmer exploring the seedy underbelly of Los Angeles during Christmas season.

Never seen it, but I love me some film noir.

I've always watched Lethal Weapon when putting up the tree each year but I've recently included Bill Murrays' Christmas Special to the list. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Konas said:

It's a Wonderful Life is always rock solid. Die Hard makes the list as well for me. 

Does it sound like I'm ordering a pizza?

I should add to the list for Mrs. Zoxe: White Christmas and the Nightmare Before Christmas (serves double duty around Halloween too!)

1. Christmas Carol - 1938 w/Reginald Owen
  2. Miracle on 34th St - The original B/W version. The colorized version is blasphemy.
  3. A Muppets Christmas Carol
  4. Elf
  5. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
  • Like 2

All this thought about Pocket Full of Miracles, and I had to watch it again.

Junior: My old lady always said you can't make a pig's ear out of an old sow.

Pierre: Monsieur, Your old lady isn't Pierre.

I am huge into holiday movies. There is no way I could pick a favorite. I like all those already mentioned but a few have been left out.

The Holiday (with Kate Winslet, Cameron Diaz, Jude Law, Jack Black)

Arthur Christmas

Die Hard 2 (I know it was not released during the holiday season but the movie does take place on Christmas Eve. So I always enjoy it at Christmas time)

Saturday Afternoon double feature here:  Nightmare Before Christmas followed by A Christmas Carol w/ George C. Scott.  

I gave my web design students an assignment this week to create a website about their favorite Holiday movie. In the running for most popular movies for them is Polar Express, Home Alone, and Christmas Carol.  

As for me, its hard to choose a favorite. There are so many I love. If I had to only pick a few, I think I will go with Its a Wonderful Life, Christmas Carol (any version), and Charlie Brown Christmas.

Edited by RomyCat