tgpumpkin

What’s your game of the year for 2019?

7 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

30 minutes a word would get him booted out the door.  That's just rude.

AGREED. THANK YOU. There's a reason we haven't been playing Scrabble much lately, and this is it. Speaking of Risk, he wants me to play that with him, too. And I love him but... if he takes 30 minutes in Scrabble... 

@Konas be sure to wear pajamas so that you can take a nap between moves! 

4 minutes ago, tgpumpkin said:

Hmm...Too Many Bones is a great strategic dice drafting RPG game you might like.  The game oozes with theme and tells a story for sure.  Pandemic I can also recommend.  Both of these games are co-op games.  You might have fun with Charterstone, a competitive legacy game that you can play afterwards.  Both @RomyCat and myself enjoyed that.  I played that one with the fam with great success.  

I'm writing all of these down on a list! We can only check out one board game at a time, but I'm hoping we'll have all of the ones you're all telling me about! 

57 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

The minis were such a turn off, I didn't pledge the game.  I know I'm not the only one.

And you're not - the minis are definitely a polarizing influence for people.. either they turn you off the game, or they tend to be part of what draws you into the game.

The sad thing, in my opinion, is that, while brutal, the game play would actually stand on its own.  Is it balanced?  Hell no - that's the point.  But could he have done the disturbing/disgusting monsters without the sexualized aspect - sure.

And honestly it's not even the game play miniatures that are usually an issue (though there are a couple).  Most of the real 'sexualized' figures are the "pin-up" work which is purely collector items with no gameplay at all.

1 hour ago, Barb Bliss said:

The minis were such a turn off, I didn't pledge the game.  I know I'm not the only one.

We can agree to disagree. The minis have vile themes, that is for certain. But it's also part of the lore for the world. 
I can understand if nightmare horror isn't your thing, You probably didn't back games such as Deep Madness either. 

But you're missing out some incredible gameplay mechanics.

21 minutes ago, visylvius said:

We can agree to disagree. The minis have vile themes, that is for certain. But it's also part of the lore for the world. 
I can understand if nightmare horror isn't your thing, You probably didn't back games such as Deep Madness either. 

But you're missing out some incredible gameplay mechanics.

I  backed Massive Darkness.  It's not the gore or the monsters that offended me.  It was treating women like a piece of meat that offended me, and I have zero interest in giving money to pigs that exploit that poor taste.  I have more than enough other games and mechanics to enjoy.

4 hours ago, Anne said:

Alright everyone, I need your suggestions! I haven't played many table games, so give me a list of ones to check out :) 

Table games? Like ANY game that goes on a table?!?

KINGDOM DEATH!!! 💖

Chronicles of Crime! 😊

Tsuro
Cash & Guns

Gloomhaven

Monopoly Empire

...the list goes on 

@Anne The questions you have to ask yourself...

Do you like competitive or cooperative?

Do you like short or long?

Do you like to play solo, small, or large group?

Edited by GhostChopper

13 minutes ago, GhostChopper said:

KINGDOM DEATH!!! 💖

Chronicles of Crime! 😊

Tsuro
Cash & Guns

Gloomhaven

Monopoly Empire

...the list goes on 

In no particular order:

• Euphoria (expansion makes really good become great)
  • Grimm Forest - delightful with some fun backstabbing mechanics (that can blow up in your face if you're unlucky - yes I have some experience holding my own exploding bomb)
  • Fallen Angel
  • Nemesis
  • Concordia
  • Lisboa
  • Roll Player
  • Gugong
  • Macao
  • Trogdor!!!

p.s. I suck at Chronicles of Crime...

Edited by Barb Bliss

Well only new game I played this year was unbroken so I guess that wins by default.

Most played umm I'm not sure I don't get to play a ton. 

11 hours ago, Konas said:

I loved Stratego. Such a great game!

I love Admirals, same as Stratego with some new rules added to the game.

15 hours ago, GhostChopper said:

KINGDOM DEATH!!! 💖

Chronicles of Crime! 😊

Tsuro
Cash & Guns

Gloomhaven

Monopoly Empire

...the list goes on 

Hmmm, good questions! Thanks for the guidance! Hmmmm.

My main goal is to have more games to play with my boyfriend, since he's not big into video games like I am. So probably games that work for just two players are best right now. He prefers very in depth strategy games, but I like things that are both strategic and immersive. I'd sacrifice strategy for immersion any day. No specific feelings on short of long games from either of us! 

Also, there are solo board games????? 😱! I never knew that! 

15 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

In no particular order:

• Euphoria (expansion makes really good become great)
  • Grimm Forest - delightful with some fun backstabbing mechanics (that can blow up in your face if you're unlucky - yes I have some experience holding my own exploding bomb)
  • Fallen Angel
  • Nemesis
  • Concordia
  • Lisboa
  • Roll Player
  • Gugong
  • Macao
  • Trogdor!!!

p.s. I suck at Chronicles of Crime...

Oooh, I googled Grimm Forest and it looks awesome! I definitely like games for gathering resources and building. Thank you all for giving me so many suggestions ☺️

9 minutes ago, Anne said:

Oooh, I googled Grimm Forest and it looks awesome! I definitely like games for gathering resources and building. Thank you all for giving me so many suggestions ☺️

And there are minis to paint.  See the miniature painting thread.

2 hours ago, Anne said:

Hmmm, good questions! Thanks for the guidance! Hmmmm.

My main goal is to have more games to play with my boyfriend, since he's not big into video games like I am. So probably games that work for just two players are best right now. He prefers very in depth strategy games, but I like things that are both strategic and immersive. I'd sacrifice strategy for immersion any day. No specific feelings on short of long games from either of us! 

Also, there are solo board games????? 😱! I never knew that! 

In that case, I highly suggest Chronicles of Crime! It can be played solo or with people. It is strange tic and immersive. 
https://luckyduckgames.com/games/chroniclesofcrime.html

31 minutes ago, Serge Darveau said:

I've recently won this game from a Boardgame Stories contest on facebook, still waiting the game. :) 

I LOVE solving mysteries! It’s a great crossover between digital and physical games. The way they set up the cards is quite intelligent for low cost expansions in the future. Hope you enjoy it when you get it!

4 hours ago, GhostChopper said:

In that case, I highly suggest Chronicles of Crime! It can be played solo or with people. It is strange tic and immersive. 
https://luckyduckgames.com/games/chroniclesofcrime.html

I totally stink at this game.  And it likes to tell me I totally stink at it.  On the one hand, it's annoying.  On the other hand, it makes me a little nostalgic about growing up with my evil sister.

1 minute ago, Barb Bliss said:

I totally stink at this game.  And it likes to tell me I totally stink at it.  On the one hand, it's annoying.  On the other hand, it makes me a little nostalgic about growing up with my evil sister.

Is your phone on the right brightness setting?!?

Just now, GhostChopper said:

Is your phone on the right brightness setting?!?

Well, let's just say the phone isn't the problem.  Ironic that I really like cop shows.

I am late to the party, but here's my answers!

What’s the game you played the most this year?

By total play time, that would be Dropfleet Commander.  Several all day competitive events through 2019 plus prep time, misc hotseating and list building, and a 1v1 game with Mrs. Zoxe adds up.  I'm still just scratching the surface on the game, and readily admit that I don't know all the rules, but I kinda dig it.

If we're restricted to "boardgames" then I think I have to say Shadows of Brimstone.  Still a staple, though don't play enough.  We started a campaign with a self-written narrative; got about halfway to the big bad that I'd planned before we got distracted.

Game that surprised you the most?

Others have voted for Kingdom Death for other categories, and I don't mean to start controversy re: the minis/artwork.  This year at Gencon we played a marathon campaign with another friend "running" the game.  Mrs. Zoxe and I have played a bit, with our interpretation of the rules and strategies, and I intentionally don't seek out spoilers or troll the online strategy boards.  Watching someone else steer a group of random friends through a campaign really pried my eyelids open on what this game "could be."  I walked away with a much better appreciation of what the game engine offered.

The same group will be reassembling over Thanksgiving, so I'm looking forward to another marathon session - hopefully the Butcher doesn't eat us this time.

Game you regret the most not backing?

Honestly - no regrets.  But if I have to pick one, probably Midarra.  It looks awesome, but came into 2019 with a New Years resolution to not back any more sprawling KS games.  Midarra is the game that almost caused me to break my vow, but I stayed strong.  

On 11/12/2019 at 9:14 AM, Konas said:

Has anyone here played Rising Sun? Sorry to go off topic. We have it and have a chance to play it soon and wondering anyone had any thoughts.

I went all in on the Kickstarter and absolutely love Rising Sun.  I would definitely recommend playing with five players if possible.  I feel that it really shines always having one odd person out of alliances, causes more chaos and shake ups between seasons.  It does take a play or two to really get a feel for the mechanisms and how to maximize your potential during the war phase.  I am terrible at this game but love playing it.

My most played game this year is Terraforming Mars.  I just can’t get enough of that game.  I’m very excited to see what the Turmoil expansion has in store to mix things up even more.

The game that surprised me the most was Parks, by Keymaster Games.  I had put in a retailer pledge based largely on the aesthetics, but after receiving the copies and trying it out, immediately knew it was a hit and ordered several more cases.  Great components, good balance of ease of learning with strategic choices, nice theme, compact box with immaculately thought out insert - it hit all the right notes.  This one is our indie darling of the year.

Runner up for sleeper hit for me has been We’re Doomed by Breaking Games.  It plays 4-10 players, 15 minutes, wacky gameplay, super enjoyable experience.  I like that it has the high player count but isn’t a hidden role game.  It’s semi co-op in that you are all working together on “The Project” to save some of humanity from a world ending disaster.  However, just because you contributed the most resources doesn’t mean you have a seat.  Whoever has generated the most influence gets the first seat, then second and so on.  There is an events deck that has wildly diverse and unpredictable happenings that throw even the most team-oriented group into chaos.  Plus you can nuke each other.  The short play time helps mitigate hurt feelings, and while the stakes feel high in the moment, when it’s all said and done it’s just a quick flip of the sand timer and everyone is right back in for another round.

I have also adored Wingspan, my wife is addicted and loves to play it with me - I always appreciate a game that she wants to have hit the table.  My new prototype trays are full of Wingspan bits right now ;) 

5 hours ago, LuckyIke said:

I went all in on the Kickstarter and absolutely love Rising Sun.  I would definitely recommend playing with five players if possible.  I feel that it really shines always having one odd person out of alliances, causes more chaos and shake ups between seasons.  It does take a play or two to really get a feel for the mechanisms and how to maximize your potential during the war phase.  I am terrible at this game but love playing it.

Sweet. That is good to hear. Our first game will probably be a 3 player. Hopefully, Wednesday of next week. I am really digging the minis which always makes me more inclined to play a game. I know its sad but its true.

16 hours ago, Zoxe said:

I am late to the party, but here's my answers!

What’s the game you played the most this year?

By total play time, that would be Dropfleet Commander.  Several all day competitive events through 2019 plus prep time, misc hotseating and list building, and a 1v1 game with Mrs. Zoxe adds up.  I'm still just scratching the surface on the game, and readily admit that I don't know all the rules, but I kinda dig it.

If we're restricted to "boardgames" then I think I have to say Shadows of Brimstone.  Still a staple, though don't play enough.  We started a campaign with a self-written narrative; got about halfway to the big bad that I'd planned before we got distracted.

Game that surprised you the most?

Others have voted for Kingdom Death for other categories, and I don't mean to start controversy re: the minis/artwork.  This year at Gencon we played a marathon campaign with another friend "running" the game.  Mrs. Zoxe and I have played a bit, with our interpretation of the rules and strategies, and I intentionally don't seek out spoilers or troll the online strategy boards.  Watching someone else steer a group of random friends through a campaign really pried my eyelids open on what this game "could be."  I walked away with a much better appreciation of what the game engine offered.

The same group will be reassembling over Thanksgiving, so I'm looking forward to another marathon session - hopefully the Butcher doesn't eat us this time.

Game you regret the most not backing?

Honestly - no regrets.  But if I have to pick one, probably Midarra.  It looks awesome, but came into 2019 with a New Years resolution to not back any more sprawling KS games.  Midarra is the game that almost caused me to break my vow, but I stayed strong.  

I share your love of miniature games. I haven't played DC but love Arena Rex, Guild Ball, Aristeia. Playing a game with minis that you've painted just brings the whole lifestyle together in a way that is very rewarding. Also why I love playing RPGs with minis. I know there is a huge mini wargaming community out in the world but our local scene is barren. We had one store locally but it shut down a few months ago.

9 minutes ago, Konas said:

I share your love of miniature games. I haven't played DC but love Arena Rex, Guild Ball, Aristeia. Playing a game with minis that you've painted just brings the whole lifestyle together in a way that is very rewarding. Also why I love playing RPGs with minis. I know there is a huge mini wargaming community out in the world but our local scene is barren. We had one store locally but it shut down a few months ago.

I felt that way with Massive Darkness.  But it was annoying when some people didn't really appreciate just how many hours of work went into a mini.  But playing with other painters was rewarding.

16 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

I felt that way with Massive Darkness.  But it was annoying when some people didn't really appreciate just how many hours of work went into a mini.  But playing with other painters was rewarding.

Yeah, Leather Mike has a habit of breaking my painted minis when we play RPGs. Always an accident but I don't think he understands the time involved. I am missing one of my favorite minis from the last time we played at the shop. And it was from a massive Warhammer 40k box and I can't get it solo.