tgpumpkin

What’s your game of the year for 2019?

Has anyone here played Rising Sun? Sorry to go off topic. We have it and have a chance to play it soon and wondering anyone had any thoughts.

I haven't had a chance to play many board games this year, but I had a blast with the new Zombiecide game--zombies innnn spaaaaace!

9 minutes ago, Anne said:

I'll go do that today! If he doesn't play it with me, I'll have you fire him again. 

I'm big on strategy games! And immersive ones. :) 

I tend to like games that allow you to socialize as you are playing.  So co-op is preferable to Terraforming Mars (where the guys barely talk - everyone is head down scheming).  Nemesis is semi-cooperative which makes it really fun.  If you don't work together, no one will survive, but you may be helping someone out that needs to make sure you don't survive.  Or you may be asking them if the engines are working, but you don't know if their exit plan requires an escape pod and scuttling the ship.  So I think you'll really love this game.

Another strategic game I really like is Lisboa.  You have to decide if you want to go through the front door and get more benefit, but may also allow others to gain benefit.  Or do you want to sneak in the back door and get less, but no one else gets benefit.  Do you want to engage with the church (cardinal) and be allowed to break the rules?  Do you want to affect the economy and when do you want to do that so you get the most and hopefully screw everyone else a little.  Do you want to forego doing something right now for end game benefits?

I love the Mayfair "train games" like Eurorails, Russian Rails, British Rails, etc  You're like a dispatcher.  I lost my players in this game when Bob and Margie retired to NC though.  I have a hard time getting anyone to play with me as I'm very good at it.  I've been dubbed "The Evil Empire", which leaves me with mixed emotions.

Another game I really like is Macao.  There is a little bit of luck with the rolling of dice, but there is a ton of strategy as far as figuring out how to get around that randomness (and preemptive actions).

9 minutes ago, Konas said:

Has anyone here played Rising Sun? Sorry to go off topic. We have it and have a chance to play it soon and wondering anyone had any thoughts.

Nope, but Jaemus has it.  Let me know if you want/need his email.

10 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

I tend to like games that allow you to socialize as you are playing.  So co-op is preferable to Terraforming Mars (where the guys barely talk - everyone is head down scheming).  Nemesis is semi-cooperative which makes it really fun.  If you don't work together, no one will survive, but you may be helping someone out that needs to make sure you don't survive.  Or you may be asking them if the engines are working, but you don't know if their exit plan requires an escape pod and scuttling the ship.  So I think you'll really love this game.

Another strategic game I really like is Lisboa.  You have to decide if you want to go through the front door and get more benefit, but may also allow others to gain benefit.  Or do you want to sneak in the back door and get less, but no one else gets benefit.  Do you want to engage with the church (cardinal) and be allowed to break the rules?  Do you want to affect the economy and when do you want to do that so you get the most and hopefully screw everyone else a little.  Do you want to forego doing something right now for end game benefits?

I love the Mayfair "train games" like Eurorails, Russian Rails, British Rails, etc  You're like a dispatcher.  I lost my players in this game when Bob and Margie retired to NC though.  I have a hard time getting anyone to play with me as I'm very good at it.  I've been dubbed "The Evil Empire", which leaves me with mixed emotions.

Another game I really like is Macao.  There is a little bit of luck with the rolling of dice, but there is a ton of strategy as far as figuring out how to get around that randomness (and preemptive actions).

Evil Empire, Hah. I was like that with AGOT LCG. After messing with my Targaryen deck for a few months I wound up with what was accidently a tourney level competitive deck. Lindsey was not a fan. Haven't played that one in a while. 

1 minute ago, Konas said:

Evil Empire, Hah. I was like that with AGOT LCG. After messing with my Targaryen deck for a few months I wound up with what was accidently a tourney level competitive deck. Lindsey was not a fan. Haven't played that one in a while. 

I also dare anyone to play me in classic Risk. I have what I believe to be a pretty unbeatable strategy.

Just now, Konas said:

I also dare anyone to play me in classic Risk. I have what I believe to be a pretty unbeatable strategy.

My brother-in-law was a huge Stratego fan.  I played him once (never played it before), and I beat him.  He was confounded with my logic.

5 minutes ago, Konas said:

I love Risk, but I am also terrible at it.  I'm apparently a dumb-luck strategist : ).

4 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

My brother-in-law was a huge Stratego fan.  I played him once (never played it before), and I beat him.  He was confounded with my logic.

I loved Stratego. Such a great game!

Just now, WxCougar said:

I love Risk, but I am also terrible at it.  I'm apparently a dumb-luck strategist : ).

Here's a hint...it's ALL about the cards.

1 minute ago, WxCougar said:

It's also a terribly broken game.

Favorite game of 2019.... that's hard. We haven't played much this year. Mostly RPG games.  We are enjoying Arkham Horror LCG which we plan to dive in fully into the scenario soon now that we know what we are doing. I'm super excited to get the rest of my Dark Souls game from the Kickstarter and get playing on that with all the extra components.

2 minutes ago, Konas said:

1 minute ago, Konas said:

I was also playing my dad a lot and he was super good at that game. He was also really good at Clue. He could usually get it right in 2 rounds.

Just now, WxCougar said:

Favorite game of 2019.... that's hard. We haven't played much this year. Mostly RPG games.  We are enjoying Arkham Horror LCG which we plan to dive in fully into the scenario soon now that we know what we are doing. I'm super excited to get the rest of my Dark Souls game from the Kickstarter and get playing on that with all the extra components.

So glad I converted another AH player. It gets better once you dive into the scenarios. The things they do to create tension with just a few decks of cards is truly amazing.

7 minutes ago, Konas said:

Agreed.

7 minutes ago, Konas said:

Agreed.

The later versions - like 2210 or Godstorm are much more balanced.  They still have some issues, but not nearly as many as the original

6 minutes ago, WxCougar said:

I was also playing my dad a lot and he was super good at that game. He was also really good at Clue. He could usually get it right in 2 rounds.

I'm VERY good at deduction games.  I'm pretty sure that shouldn't be possible.

41 minutes ago, Thomas Browne said:

I'm VERY good at deduction games.  I'm pretty sure that shouldn't be possible.

I think he was psychic. It was uncanny how good he was at guessing.  I think he was wrong maybe 1 time.

1 hour ago, tgpumpkin said:

@Anne It's hard to know without knowing where you are at in the boardgaming experience spectrum.  Knowing themes you like and general interests would help :) .  

I could list several gateway games to start/try if you're more into lighter gaming fare or are relatively new to the hobby.

So....let's start with what kinds of games do you currently like? :) 

1 hour ago, tgpumpkin said:

sorry I just saw this.  I'm always going to recommend Scythe (as I'm sure @Konas will as well).  If you ever play Scythe against @Konas, your best career move will be to play as Polania.  Definitely has a good amount of strategy to it.

Have you played co-ops with your boyfriend?

In general, I like games with an immersive story that require me to think and plan. I'm fairly new to the board gaming hobby though, so I'm open to just about anything! 

I'll go see if we have Scythe in the board game library. I'll likely play as Polania with my boyfriend because he is ridiculously good at strategy games. But also... takes a very long time. We're talking 30 minutes to play a word in Scrabble. 

He's not much into video games, but I've gotten him to play a few co-ops with me! Primarily FPS games. His idea of "playing" video games is sitting in the office with me while I play, and giving input into which choices to make. Or, if it's Ark he gives me dino strategy. 🥰

1 hour ago, Konas said:

You vs. Don Johnson. Holiday Party 2019. 

3 minutes ago, Anne said:

You vs. Don Johnson. Holiday Party 2019. 

Hah. I will wear my unconstructed jacket....

32 minutes ago, visylvius said:

Kingdom Death Monster.
So much crazy lore, the mechanics are amazing, and most of all the minis are dope.

The minis were such a turn off, I didn't pledge the game.  I know I'm not the only one.

18 minutes ago, Konas said:

Hah. I will wear my unconstructed jacket....

I told him that he needed to dress like Don Johnson for the holiday party, and he said "I already do!" in an incredulous voice. 

29 minutes ago, Anne said:

In general, I like games with an immersive story that require me to think and plan. I'm fairly new to the board gaming hobby though, so I'm open to just about anything! 

I'll go see if we have Scythe in the board game library. I'll likely play as Polania with my boyfriend because he is ridiculously good at strategy games. But also... takes a very long time. We're talking 30 minutes to play a word in Scrabble. 

He's not much into video games, but I've gotten him to play a few co-ops with me! Primarily FPS games. His idea of "playing" video games is sitting in the office with me while I play, and giving input into which choices to make. Or, if it's Ark he gives me dino strategy. 🥰

30 minutes a word would get him booted out the door.  That's just rude.

30 minutes ago, Anne said:

Hmm...Too Many Bones is a great strategic dice drafting RPG game you might like.  The game oozes with theme and tells a story for sure.  Pandemic I can also recommend.  Both of these games are co-op games.  You might have fun with Charterstone, a competitive legacy game that you can play afterwards.  Both @RomyCat and myself enjoyed that.  I played that one with the fam with great success.