Anne

Two Roses and a Thorn (a fun little game)

Good morning all, and happy monday! 

One of my favorite little mindfulness exercises is called two roses and a thorn, and I thought it could be fun to do together on the forums. You just list two good things that have either happened to you recently, or that you are looking forward to, and one not good thing that has happened or that is about to happen (dentist, doctor, someone stuck an Arby's sandwich in your car muffler, etc.) 

I'll start :) 

My two roses are - 

1. My sink is, hopefully, getting fixed this morning! I should be receiving a call from the plumber sometime between 9am and 11am... or never. But I'm hopeful! 

2. I ordered a fancy electric toothbrush online, and I think it will ship soon! 

My thorn is - 

My bathroom sink needs to be fixed AT ALL! I woke up on Sunday morning, walked into the bathroom, and stepped right into a puddle. I basically had a second bathtub. Talk about a thorn... 

I like this idea.

My two roses are:

1)The weather is sooooo much cooler now. I hate the heat.

2) I had a fun Halloween Pathfinder get together over the weekend.

My thorn is:

My dad was really sick last night and almost had me take him to the emergency room. He decided to wait and go to his family doctor today.

Drew and Tracy got my patio furniture into the garage and Michigan State is #1 in the AP preseason ranking for hoops.

Goat milk/cheese is kicking my digestive track after I bought a bunch of it.  

My two roses:

1) My cats like their new cat tower and I got lots of fun pictures of them exploring it.

2) My second orchestra is starting up this Thursday and I am looking forward to what we will be playing.

My Thorn is:

It's cold and I do not like the cold. (Currently hugging my space heater).

2 hours ago, Zenithsplendor said:

I like this idea.

My two roses are:

1)The weather is sooooo much cooler now. I hate the heat.

2) I had a fun Halloween Pathfinder get together over the weekend.

My thorn is:

My dad was really sick last night and almost had me take him to the emergency room. He decided to wait and go to his family doctor today.

Oh no! I'm sending him healing vibes - hopefully it's just a bad bug. Tis the season after all! 

2 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

Drew and Tracy got my patio furniture into the garage and Michigan State is #1 in the AP preseason ranking for hoops.

Goat milk/cheese is kicking my digestive track after I bought a bunch of it.  

Barb... I feel you. I miss goat cheese so much. 

2 hours ago, WxCougar said:

My two roses:

1) My cats like their new cat tower and I got lots of fun pictures of them exploring it.

2) My second orchestra is starting up this Thursday and I am looking forward to what we will be playing.

My Thorn is:

It's cold and I do not like the cold. (Currently hugging my space heater).

Snuggly cats are good for the cold too :) 

Roses

• I had a blast playing Pathfinder with friends over the weekend
  • Looking forward to playing Choose Your Own Adventure: House of Danger with my sister and niece after dinner.

Thorn

• My bathroom sink is stopped up and we have been trying for days to fix it. Draino is not working this time (usually that fixes this common problem we have been dealing with for years). Tried sticking a screwdriver as far down the pipe as possible. That didn't help either. Tried hot, boiling water. Nope. 

4 hours ago, RomyCat said:

Roses

• Looking forward to playing Choose Your Own Adventure: House of Danger with my sister and niece after dinner.

Thorn

• My bathroom sink is stopped up and we have been trying for days to fix it. Draino is not working this time (usually that fixes this common problem we have been dealing with for years). Tried sticking a screwdriver as far down the pipe as possible. That didn't help either. Tried hot, boiling water. Nope. 

Bleach dissolves hair, not particularly fast, but if you put a little bleach down there every week, the hair shouldn't be a problem.  Enzymes work too.  I usually have to treat it twice.

Edited by Barb Bliss

13 hours ago, RomyCat said:

Roses

Thorn

For stuck drains, Home Depot has a drain cleaner that comes in a black bottle and has a plastic bag around it (because it is sooooo caustic). But, it works like gangbusters. It is the only stuff I use.

14 hours ago, RomyCat said:

Roses

Thorn

What is it with sinks this week? 

We dismantled our slow sink and cleaned it out. The only trouble was when we put it back together we couldn't figure out the plug and it basically stayed shut. Toothpicks fixed that until we called a plumber (2 months later since I kept forgetting). We had one part on slightly wrong. Luckily he only charged us $10 since he was here for 5 min.

My two roses.... and another rose :) 

• Ya'll my new sink is BEAUTIFUL!!!! I'm still grumpy that my bathroom flooded at all, but dang, I can't complain about my pretty new sink. 
  • Sawdust loves his new toy that I brought him. It's a little candy corn with a smiley face. It's already basically destroyed.
  • It's chilly today... which means it's cold enough for my soft cashmere sweater! It's like getting a hug from a cloud :) 

My two roses:

The pillow case for my new bamboo body pillow was delivered.

I am going to get some solo gaming done today.

My thorn:

I am sure the kitties will mess up my solo games a few times... they always do...

Two Roses:

My miniatures came that I ordered from the recent Pathfinder Battles (singles, since we are swimming in minis). The three are gorgeous (huge blue dragon, wraith and Nightmare).

I got shipping notification for the Battlemaps Kickstarter book, so it will come soon!

Thorn:

Got another headache today.

Ooh, you 

10 hours ago, WxCougar said:

Two Roses:

My miniatures came that I ordered from the recent Pathfinder Battles (singles, since we are swimming in minis). The three are gorgeous (huge blue dragon, wraith and Nightmare).

I got shipping notification for the Battlemaps Kickstarter book, so it will come soon!

Thorn:

Got another headache today.

Ooh, you already got your notice for the Battlempas!!!  I've haven't yet. I backed their last set of battlemaps, and believe me, they are getting a lot of use for both the Pathfinder and D&D campaigns we are doing. Love them.  I'm eager for the new batch to come in.

Edited by RomyCat

44 minutes ago, RomyCat said:

Ooh, you 

Ooh, you already got your notice for the Battlempas!!!  I've haven't yet. I backed their last set of battlemaps, and believe me, they are getting a lot of use for both the Pathfinder and D&D campaigns we are doing. Love them.  I'm eager for the new batch to come in.

I was afraid my Immersive Battlemap wasn't coming at all since people all over were getting them and I hadn't heard til yesterday. No ETA but a shipping notice is a good sign :).

Good morning all :) 

My first rose is that I’m finally, FINALLY going to get to go to swing dance this Friday!! I’ve been dealing with some personal nonsense that seems to have finally cleared up and I have the energy to go!! 

My second rose is that I’m planning on making some stationery this week, and I’m very excited about that. I love sending cards and letters. 

Sigh. My thorn. My big thorn today is that I’m not at work right now, I’m in the parking lot of a government office waiting for it to open. It isn’t open yet, but I’m hoping that I’ll be one of the very first in line and will get taken care of pretty quickly, but you know how bureaucracy moves. It’s slower than molasses in winter. In the Arctic. 

Update: I’m 16th in line. Wish me luck 😓

Update 2: I’ve gotten my number and am sitting down and out of the cold!

Final Update: I was done by 10:30 eastern time :) 

8 hours ago, Anne said:

Update: I’m 16th in line. Wish me luck 😓

Update 2: I’ve gotten my number and am sitting down and out of the cold!

Final Update: I was done by 10:30 eastern time :) 

You survived the Line of Endlessness. Now you can handle anything. 

15 hours ago, RomyCat said:

You survived the Line of Endlessness. Now you can handle anything. 

Alternatively, it's actually an episode of the Twilight Zone. I'm still waiting at a government office, I've just gone mad from boredom and have created an imaginary world where I come back to work. 

Image result for twilight zone