turbodonk3y

Age of Sigmar Warcry - My progress!

Hello everyone!

I was able to play through a game with the starter set of Warcry at CinCityCon this past weekend. I played Warhammer 40K for over a decade before diving into Malifaux 2e, Kings of War, and dabbling in Star Wars Legion and A Song of Ice and Fire.

Warcry really hit a sweet spot for me. The footprint on the table is small enough to play on a standard sized table (no more 4x6 requirement), and the model count is low enough to keep the game pretty affordable. I really enjoyed the fact that combat was quick and bloody - a single roll takes care of hit/wound/armor saves, and each model has plenty of wounds (and attacks!) to make the combat interesting.

Has anyone else played this one? I'm probably going to try and snag a starter set from the FLGS since they already appear out of stock on Games Workshop's website.

-Travis

I've been interested in the GW stuff but haven't picked any up yet.  Locally, Kill Team seems to be getting a lot of traction; was curious how Warcry would play out.  

But, I also really (really!!!) don't need another game engine!  Oh, the wallet pain!

I ended up taking the plunge! I bought the last copy of the starter set from the LGS and have begun assembling. There's SO much plastic in the box! The models are done, and I'm working through the terrain now. My goal is to get everything base coated this week so I can start the painting process.

10 minutes ago, Zenithsplendor said:

Good luck with all the painting. Look forward to seeing pictures when you are all done.

Thanks! I'll try to remember to take progress pictures as I go.

2 hours ago, turbodonk3y said:

Assembly complete! Now to basecoat this week and start the painting process.

20191102_114208.jpg

20191102_113911.jpg

Wow, the terrain is cool!

No matter what you get your kid for Christmas, you'll have no problem putting it together after this project.

On 11/3/2019 at 9:17 AM, Barb Bliss said:

No matter what you get your kid for Christmas, you'll have no problem putting it together after this project.

The only kid in the house is me 😂 It was on heck of a build though!

Edited by turbodonk3y

I'm starting with the terrain. I got everything primed over the weekend, and this is my progress so far. A few more colors to add, but I should have a good dent in it over the weekend.

20191108_070213.jpg

20191108_070218.jpg

20191108_070230.jpg

I always struggle with this type of stonework.  It either turns our great by accident or I don't like it.  Good luck with your "little project".

52 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

I always struggle with this type of stonework.  It either turns our great by accident or I don't like it.  Good luck with your "little project".

I found a really nice technique on Youtube specifically for this terrain that I'm happy with. Dark green base coat, grey drybrush, and then a light white drybrush for highlights.

2 minutes ago, turbodonk3y said:

I found a really nice technique on Youtube specifically for this terrain that I'm happy with. Dark green base coat, grey drybrush, and then a light white drybrush for highlights.

Looks great! And I will have to give that method a go. I do the dry brushing in that order but start with a medium gray base and "antique" it with a dark gray. Then I do the dry brushing. Not sure what the miniature term for "antiquing" is but that's what we do in ceramics to get dark recesses.

13 hours ago, WxCougar said:

Looks great! And I will have to give that method a go. I do the dry brushing in that order but start with a medium gray base and "antique" it with a dark gray. Then I do the dry brushing. Not sure what the miniature term for "antiquing" is but that's what we do in ceramics to get dark recesses.

I was doing some washing too.  Maybe that's my problem.