Barb Bliss

Bucket List Items Achieved...

OK, it's not like visiting Bora Bora, but it's been on my list for a while.  My crazy sister got a big slab of marble for a wedding gift when I was 16-ish.  She liked to bake, but bottom line, it was too heavy to be practical for her.  About 6 years later (give or take several years), she was going to toss it, and I told her I'd take it.  I had grand schemes to get it built into a counter top or table or something, but that never happened.  I moved this heavy marble slab about 10 times before I settled into my house.  Everytime I go to pull out blender or mixer or cookie sheet, I would look at it and vow I would use that 🤬 slab of marble before I die.  Friday, someone tried to help me change my RO water filters (unsuccessful smh), which meant everything under my sink had to come out.  All that junk (how I ended up with 6 bottles of lemon oil, I'll never know) ended up on my kitchen counter.  Friday night, I figured drinking a cocktail and watching a recorded show sounded better than putting all that stuff under the sink. 

The next day, I thought I was going to Neil's house for him to show me how he makes pizza sauce and dough.  I got over there and he tells me we're doing it at my house.  smh.  So I managed to get enough space cleared for making/mixing the dough, but we needed to kneed it too.  Hey, I have this massively heavy slab of marble we can use!  Check that off the to do list.

#checkedBucketListItem

Edited by Barb Bliss

On my bucket list was going to a Yankees game, but I didn't really think it would happen. A few years ago when I was living in Connecticut a friend of mine called and said her boss could not make the Yankees game that night and offered it to anyone in the office. She knew I wanted to go, so got a hold of the tickets. I could never have imagined when I woke up that morning I would end up at the game that night. It was amazing, and of course they won.

1 hour ago, Zenithsplendor said:

On my bucket list was going to a Yankees game, but I didn't really think it would happen. A few years ago when I was living in Connecticut a friend of mine called and said her boss could not make the Yankees game that night and offered it to anyone in the office. She knew I wanted to go, so got a hold of the tickets. I could never have imagined when I woke up that morning I would end up at the game that night. It was amazing, and of course they won.

I bet you learned some new vocabulary while at that game.

Not my bucket list item, but a Minnesota Gopher (football), Casey O'Brien's, bucket list item.  Casey has suffered through 3 bouts with cancer, 17 surgeries, multiple courses of chemotherapy.  He had to have a rod put into his leg so he could continue to walk.  Last Saturday, he came into the Illinois game as a holder on some extra point and FG tries.  His first appearance in a B1G football game.  The players and the coach were very emotional when he came into the game and successfully put down the ball for the first kick.

We have a travel bucket list; most of these are future cruise ship destinations.

1. I want to see Normandy, France, and the beaches there. My grandfather came ashore at Normandy (not on D-Day, but if you've seen Band of Brothers, he was a "replacement.")

2. I want to sail the Panama Canal.  DONE - 2018

3. I don't have a strong desire to see the Med, but I do want to tour the Scandinavia countries.  

4. I want to see all 50 states.  I have 11 or 12 to go. (Alaska, the Pacific NW/Rockies, and Vermont, New Hampshire, and Connecticut).

5. I want a Gold ranking at Reapercon.  

On 10/22/2019 at 9:45 PM, Barb Bliss said:

Not my bucket list item, but a Minnesota Gopher (football), Casey O'Brien's, bucket list item.  Casey has suffered through 3 bouts with cancer, 17 surgeries, multiple courses of chemotherapy.  He had to have a rod put into his leg so he could continue to walk.  Last Saturday, he came into the Illinois game as a holder on some extra point and FG tries.  His first appearance in a B1G football game.  The players and the coach were very emotional when he came into the game and successfully put down the ball for the first kick.

I saw this again when I came to see @Zoxe's post.  Casey's cancer has reappeared.  Send him some support.

I saw this post earlier but never posted. This is a fine time to do so, being the New Year and all. (In no particular order)

1. Buy a home with a good amount of land, ideally 100+ acres.

2. See a fjord.

3. Finish CoCos.

4. Grow my company to a stable, medium sized shop with 30-40 employees.

5. Run a massive, years long RPG campaign with an incredible group. (I've been a player in a game like this but really want to GM one).

6. Always have at least one dog.

7. Learn how to play my papa's accordion.

More to come but that is it for now.

1 hour ago, Konas said:

I saw this post earlier but never posted. This is a fine time to do so, being the New Year and all.

2. See a fjord.

3. Finish CoCos.

5. Run a massive, years long RPG campaign with an incredible group. (I've been a player in a game like this but really want to GM one).

Better hope nobody from the CoCo KS is on here, they might freak out that finishing them is so low on your bucket list.

6 minutes ago, Peter Pickle said:

Better hope nobody from the CoCo KS is on here, they might freak out that finishing them is so low on your bucket list.

Hah...edited.

15 minutes ago, Peter Pickle said:

The only ones who'd freak out are already freaking out. 

29 minutes ago, Thomas Browne said:

The only ones who'd freak out are already freaking out. 

For a (very) brief moment, I considered starting some fake outrage...

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Peter Pickle said:

For a (very) brief moment, I considered starting some fake outrage...

"And then Peter Pickle was fired!"

We might need a new code :D

Edited by Thomas Browne

5 hours ago, Konas said:

I saw this post earlier but never posted. This is a fine time to do so, being the New Year and all. (In no particular order)

2. See a fjord.

3. Finish CoCos.

That's a lot of land!  We have 10 and that feels like too much quite often.  

14 hours ago, Zoxe said:

10 would be sweet too. But gotta dream big. I've always wanted a good amount of land to hunt.

Just now, Konas said:

10 would be sweet too. But gotta dream big. I've always wanted a good amount of land to hunt.

Painting barn, adventure barn, sawmill barn, machine shed, corn field for deer to feast on...

21 hours ago, Zoxe said:

I have 4 and a half and feel its a lot ; ). But then its all irrigated pasture land so that does add to the maintenance...

1 hour ago, WxCougar said:

I have 4 and a half and feel its a lot ; ). But then its all irrigated pasture land so that does add to the maintenance...

When we first moved in, it was about 8 acres of woods, 1 acre of mowing, and 1 acre of buildings, driveway, gravel turnaround, etc. I could mow in under an hour most of the time.

Since then, we've 'improved' the property by cleaning out old brushpiles, clearing back from the road, and opening up under some volunteer Walnut (I have a walnut grove! yay!) Over the past several years the power company cut out dying Ash that was threatening our power lines, and I paid to have the last batch done - total of about 3-4 acres now mowable lawn.  I don't mow it all every time, but it's a real beast depending what kind of weather we get.

14 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

When we first moved in, it was about 8 acres of woods, 1 acre of mowing, and 1 acre of buildings, driveway, gravel turnaround, etc. I could mow in under an hour most of the time.

Since then, we've 'improved' the property by cleaning out old brushpiles, clearing back from the road, and opening up under some volunteer Walnut (I have a walnut grove! yay!) Over the past several years the power company cut out dying Ash that was threatening our power lines, and I paid to have the last batch done - total of about 3-4 acres now mowable lawn.  I don't mow it all every time, but it's a real beast depending what kind of weather we get.

Oh my I bet.  I would love to have walnuts growing. But all we have are Russian Olives, and they grow like weeds here.

Soon to be achieved - Meet someone from my World of Warcraft guild! 

One of the ladies in my guild lives in Michigan, I just found out, AND she's moving super nearby in a few months! We're going to hang out once she's settled in after the move. :) And, of course, she gets to come have a tour of the coolest place in Ann Arbor. 

58 minutes ago, Anne said:

One of the ladies in my guild lives in Michigan, I just found out, AND she's moving super nearby in a few months! We're going to hang out once she's settled in after the move. :) And, of course, she gets to come have a tour of the coolest place in Ann Arbor. 

Don't forget to lock up the most unruly lumberjacks.  I'm looking at you Leather Mike.

2 hours ago, Anne said:

Oh, that's cool.  I've done a few MMO meetups over the years.  It's always weird until you start talking about ingame stuff.

15 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

Don't forget to lock up the most unruly lumberjacks.  I'm looking at you Leather Mike.

I think she'd probably appreciate the unruliness, actually, lol.

13 hours ago, Zoxe said:

Oh, that's cool.  I've done a few MMO meetups over the years.  It's always weird until you start talking about ingame stuff.

Yeah! I've done a handful before, but never with someone who moved nearby first. It's really neat! One of my other guild members is fixing to move out here when her life settles down a little bit. We've been BFFs for almost 6 years now, and I'm really pumped. It's probably still a few years out, because moving cross county takes a lot of planning, but it's the goal. :) 

We're also planning a big meetup at the wedding of whoever gets married next.