Sign in to follow this  
Zoxe

Game Organizers

Starting a thread for the 3rd party addons/extras that help make sense of a confusing box layout.

I'll admit, most of my games are box stock. We don't get enough replay on most purchases to warrant an organizer or sleeving.  But there are a few exceptions....

1) I've spent a lot of time trying to make sense of Shadows of Brimstone, which is a crazy expansive game.  I ended up going to scrapbooking boxes and a wooden briefcase for the cards.  It's still Huuuuuge.

2) For Zombicide Black Plague, I recently upgraded to a pair of Feldherr foam boxes (generic boxes, not specifically for Z:BP) and I came away a little disappointed.  Feldherr is a fine product, but for the amount I paid, I didn't actually save much shelf space.

3) For Dropfleet Commander, I went with the Battlefoam option.  But that's a game that needs to travel to conventions and they stock precut foam options.

4) For Kingdom Death, I found the Broken Token organizer, and on a whim this weekend put it together and finally reorganized my core box.  I really like it!  I know there are a few KD fans here; I'd endorse the BT option.

5) DMG for dice storage, dice sleeves, and keeping our table under control with COCOs and my custom KDM gear grids. Soon hope to be using the DMG dice tower as well!

I want to know why the rule books don't show how they think the box should be organized.  Some are sort of obvious (e.g. Nemesis, Gugong), but some are confounding.  OK I punched out the pieces.  Now what?  And then they say they will fit sleeved cards, but they must have used those rubbish penny sleeves when measuring.  A couple of the games, I've gotten external storage.  Massive Darkness has gotten a lot of play time, so I have a skirmish box for the painted heros, sentinel for half of the cards/dice/other bits, and those foam box things for the monster minis.  The plastic insert had no prayer of holding all the expansion stuff, so I tossed that into the trash and put the other half of the cards into baggies.  So the box is basically board tiles, rulebooks, and a few of sandwich baggies of cards.

I bought a BT for Gloomhaven.  Though expensive as heck, it's really nice.  I also got a project out of staining and putting it together.  Now if I could just get the game on the table.

Most of my games that have bits and pieces for each player like Lisboa, get a baggie per player.  It really helps with decreasing the setup time.

So a lot of my games, I throw out the inserts because they are SO USELESS for organizing the game.  I do a lot of just baggie everything up and toss it in the box.

But I have exceptions --

My Pathfinder Card game and Dominion sets are all in hobby lobby art cases with either Broken Token or Go 7 Gaming organizers.

Another company I found in their last kickstarter and really like is Folded Space.  They do foamboard inserts..rather than the plywood that BT and Go7 use - which makes them lighter, although maybe not as durable.  I'll have to see on that. 

I actually had done a home-made KDM organizer based on plans off boardgamegeek (but modified a little bit).  I decided to get the Folded Space insert for it.. and replace my homemade version.  I'm still on the fence over all with it.  It's much more convenient than what I had in some ways because rather than TWO big containers for all the cards, it has like a dozen smaller containers.  The downside to that though is that means a lot more space used up by the containers.. meaning less room for cards.  Also I'm not quite happy with how I've got them organized in those containers yet.. I can adjust that, but it isn't as 'easy' as with the two big containers when it was "this one is monsters"  and "this one is nemesis and settlement cards".

But I also got Folded Space organizers for a couple of other games, and really like how they are set up - so may watch for more of those in the future.

My Dark Souls game is in a mixture of original boxes, (core minis are sitting on the shelf because original box was crowded), Sentinel and an Ultimate Guard Twin FlipnTray Deck Case I picked up on Amazon.

Dominion and Arkham Horror LCG are stored in a Hobby Lobby Art Case with Broken Token inserts. Arkham Horror LCG I am also using a DMG Deck Jacket and Token Shield.

7 hours ago, Thomas Browne said:

I actually had done a home-made KDM organizer based on plans off boardgamegeek (but modified a little bit).  I decided to get the Folded Space insert for it.. and replace my homemade version.  I'm still on the fence over all with it. 

I am really happy with the BT insert for KDM, but I went into it with the full expectation that I would overwhelm it with all the stuff I have (or have pledged).  I wish that I had the option of buying a 3rd upper tray (I can easily store my rulebooks elsewhere), but alas the parts are spread all over the laser cut frames, so I'd have to rebuy the entire insert to get the extra token storage I need.

Honestly, I was disappointed with the "new and improved" plastic insert that was showcased on the KDM 1.5 kickstarter.  As @Barb Bliss mentions, not many designers consider the sleeving/storage/expandability aspect of their product, and I had high hopes that Poots would be the exception with KDM.  During the campaign the insert looked really awesome, but he failed with a fundamental flaw.  Setting the tray height so that all the card tabs would get smashed is simply not acceptable; I know volume/costs add up, but for a $400 MSRP product he should have made the box another 1/4 inch taller. (And that's my single biggest gripe with KDM, so now I'll be back to fanboy mode).

On 7/22/2019 at 7:13 PM, Zoxe said:

I am really happy with the BT insert for KDM, but I went into it with the full expectation that I would overwhelm it with all the stuff I have (or have pledged).  I wish that I had the option of buying a 3rd upper tray (I can easily store my rulebooks elsewhere), but alas the parts are spread all over the laser cut frames, so I'd have to rebuy the entire insert to get the extra token storage I need.

Honestly, I was disappointed with the "new and improved" plastic insert that was showcased on the KDM 1.5 kickstarter.  As @Barb Bliss mentions, not many designers consider the sleeving/storage/expandability aspect of their product, and I had high hopes that Poots would be the exception with KDM.  During the campaign the insert looked really awesome, but he failed with a fundamental flaw.  Setting the tray height so that all the card tabs would get smashed is simply not acceptable; I know volume/costs add up, but for a $400 MSRP product he should have made the box another 1/4 inch taller. (And that's my single biggest gripe with KDM, so now I'll be back to fanboy mode).

Agreed - that was really rather sloppy design in my opinion.. and one of the primary reasons I had to find some kind of alternate solution.