Pictures of DMG products at home.

OOOOOOO! Two awesome ideas: First, banding with Redheart, rather than as the base wood. Second...Canarywood!!! That's one wood I don't have anything made from.

I love colored woods! I  have nothing against, and appreciate the fine art of wood staining, but there's just something about what nature makes unaided. 🙂

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got my first Dog Might purchase in this week, a gorgeous bubinga and wenge sentinel!  It's absolutely everything I hoped it would be, plus it fits 100% perfectly in the Kingdom Death: Monster box.  Th

They have arrived!

So, Mike and I were just discussing how amazing this community is and how honored we are to have such amazing fans. We wanted to do something to show our appreciation. So, we are going to give all of

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Evilboy666 said:

OOOOOOO! Two awesome ideas: First, banding with Redheart, rather than as the base wood. Second...Canarywood!!! That's one wood I don't have anything made from.

I love colored woods! I  have nothing against, and appreciate the fine art of wood staining, but there's just something about what nature makes unaided. 🙂

I agree, that Redheart as a banding is incredible! Never would have thought to do that. And it matches that canarywood perfectly!

I also agree that we need to see the back of that Player pad : ).

Yeah, the more I look at that Sentinel, the more I really like that banding. nice and red with just enough streaky in it. That was a good choice! And it contrasts nicely with the canarywood.

...sort of a ketchup and mustard thing. 😛

18 hours ago, Evilboy666 said:

Hi Everyone! I'm new here.

I just received the most beautiful creation from the DMG Team, and I had to share pics with you all so I could bask in your envy share my joy!

Anne took up the challenge of satisfying a picky customer and personally worked with the exceptional crafting team to come up with quite frankly the perfect Sentinel. Redheart banded with African Mahogany, and my goodness is the sheer crimson something to behold. I tried to take some nice pics but the finish really has to be seen for real! I changed my mind on what dice to put in it when I saw the coloration.

Anyway, here's some pics. I've browsed the site for some time now, and have seen the video, etc. and this is in my mind the most perfect version of the Sentinel I've seen anywhere. I can't thank you all enough! 🙂 🙂

circle.jpg

That engraving is insane--what is it?  

The Sentinel came out amazing--congrats!

1 hour ago, Anne said:

My completed Sentinel and Player Pad. :) 

IMG_4773.JPG.105e7cd493141548311d41ad0746ee71.JPG

IMG_4774.JPG.260d37a852509941992c93670314c688.JPG

Canarywood banded with Redheart! There is a wormhole on the bottom that goes all the way through to the Honeycomb. I adore it. 

IMG_4775.JPG.a9d6c165777e27696d137b93f13cda3f.JPG

IMG_4776.JPG.88ccde0b31a42d8e1c5685cfea15ac96.JPG

Pinkheart banded with Redheart, with Brown Crosshatch lining. :) 

Holy crap, Anne, those are amazing--kudos for holding out for just the right woods!

...Huh, am I the only one suddenly realizing a player pad is basically a specialized half-Sentinel?  Now I wonder if DMG should offer the Pad engravings as an option for the Sentinels--are they the same dimensions?  

2 hours ago, EdInSeattle said:

Holy crap, Anne, those are amazing--kudos for holding out for just the right woods!

...Huh, am I the only one suddenly realizing a player pad is basically a specialized half-Sentinel?  Now I wonder if DMG should offer the Pad engravings as an option for the Sentinels--are they the same dimensions?  

Aw shucks, thank you!!! I worked really hard on them, and everyone was incredibly helpful in showing me all of the steps. :) 

I discovered that you can order the exact board you'd like from Bell Forest, and spent a solid 3 weeks picking out the exact perfect one. I was a little skeptical at first, but I legitimately got the exact piece of wood I chose online! 

Also, the Player Pad is 6" wide, and a Sentinel is 5"... so you're not wrong! Hmm 🤔

3 hours ago, Evilboy666 said:

Believe it or not, it wasn't my idea! I was originally thinking Purpleheart, but I wasn't thinking long term. Purpleheart will fade over time to be much browner than it initially is. Redheart will fade, too, but to an orange-er color, so the Canary will still be poppin' 10 years from now. 

2 hours ago, Evilboy666 said:

It's all fun and games until you're LEAKING DICE...hehehe

That's why only D20s go there! I thought this through. :) 

2 hours ago, EdInSeattle said:

That engraving is insane--what is it?  

The Sentinel came out amazing--congrats!

It's our Arcane Circle engraving. :) 

Yeah, the road to my beloved unique creation...turns out to the DMG peeps it was "just another Tuesday" 😄 

Seriously, the original in stock item I had purchased wasn't what i had envisioned, and after I talked with Anne about what I would want in my "perfect" world she was all "well, clearly you want Redheart banded with a lighter wood"...which I thought was a GREAT idea, why hadn't I thought of that before? And I found a picture online of a past similar in-stock Sentinel they had done earlier, and suggested that, with some changes closer to my idea.

...then looking harder, I found the EXACT version of what I wanted...which, on the one hand was "guess I'm not as custom as I thought", but on the other hand made it easier to get back to Anne to say "just make THIS" 😉

So, my Sentinel has been done before. But I maintain that mine's still better. 🙂 Done before or not, it's exactly what i wanted. I still think that Arcane Circle in particular looks awesome etched into Redheart!

19 minutes ago, Anne said:

Believe it or not, it wasn't my idea! I was originally thinking Purpleheart, but I wasn't thinking long term. Purpleheart will fade over time to be much browner than it initially is. Redheart will fade, too, but to an orange-er color, so the Canary will still be poppin' 10 years from now. 

Yeah, I like Purpleheart freshly cut and worked, but the vividness fades out too soon as it goes towards a more brown woodsy look. It's not unpleasant, but in the end IMHO it's not worth the added expense. I'd rather have another unique color, or at least a wood with a unique grain.

Of course, I'm also partial to red. Redheart is an amazing wood that looks almost artificially (in a nice way) bright crimson when first finished.  It does fade over time, but much slower,  and to something still very much red. Especially if you take some care to keep it out of direct sunlight...in my experience, Purpleheart will fade even under room lighting, it seems.

Redheart and a good black Ebony wood look particularly striking together. I have a hand carved spiral Ebony wand, black as night, in a Redheart case. It has not been finished (other than a waxing), and still looks sharp.

16 minutes ago, Evilboy666 said:

Yeah, I like Purpleheart freshly cut and worked, but the vividness fades out too soon as it goes towards a more brown woodsy look. It's not unpleasant, but in the end IMHO it's not worth the added expense. I'd rather have another unique color, or at least a wood with a unique grain.

Of course, I'm also partial to red. Redheart is an amazing wood that looks almost artificially (in a nice way) bright crimson when first finished.  It does fade over time, but much slower,  and to something still very much red. Especially if you take some care to keep it out of direct sunlight...in my experience, Purpleheart will fade even under room lighting, it seems.

Redheart and a good black Ebony wood look particularly striking together. I have a hand carved spiral Ebony wand, black as night, in a Redheart case. It has not been finished (other than a waxing), and still looks sharp.

Oh my, that wand sounds lovely!

I'm a ziricote fan, but am loving Redheart the more I see it.

I just got my Player Pad over the weekend and I think I want to customize the Warlock screen I got by coloring in the etching from the back.

Has anyone had any luck doing something like this, and if so, what sort of materials and techniques did you use? I did a quick test with nail polish and that definitely wasn’t the answer.

6 hours ago, Malhavoc430 said:

I just got my Player Pad over the weekend and I think I want to customize the Warlock screen I got by coloring in the etching from the back.

Has anyone had any luck doing something like this, and if so, what sort of materials and techniques did you use? I did a quick test with nail polish and that definitely wasn’t the answer.

Any suggestion that I could offer (e.g. grease pencil) seems like it would be a disaster to recover from if it didn't work out.  Maybe @Konas has an idea or two.  What does your PP look like?

6 hours ago, Malhavoc430 said:

We've been messing around with this in the shop with good success. We've been using acrylic paint. Pushing it in to the etching and wiping off the top while it is still wet. It has been working well although isn't as consistent as we would like to offer it. And it takes a good amount of time. 

Hope that helps!