Serge Darveau

Pictures of DMG products at home.

9 minutes ago, Konas said:

Trim and handle are correct. But it is not Chechen.

Hmm.. that almost looks like a burl on the top - so Walnut?

Just now, Thomas Browne said:

Hmm.. that almost looks like a burl on the top - so Walnut?

That's it. Nicely done everyone. All four!

Damn it I missed out on the latest episode of Woodn't you Like to Know.  Oh well.  

I feel like I've seen the occasional Katalox product on your store in the past year, haven't I @Konas?  What makes you decide to make pieces from woods you don't normally carry like Katalox...Spalted Tamarind...etc.  Do you go to the wood store and see what calls to you like some sort of "whisperer"?  Or do you see a certain wood is on sale and say "eh why not?" :) 

Kind of curious.

1 hour ago, WxCougar said:

Wow, never would have guessed Walnut. Its a gorgeous hammer.

I probably wouldn't have from just the front piece.  As I said.. if you look at the far upper corner of the top piece.. there is some figuring/feathering there that reminded me of a walnut burl.  THAT was the clue for me.

39 minutes ago, tgpumpkin said:

Damn it I missed out on the latest episode of Woodn't you Like to Know.  Oh well.  

I feel like I've seen the occasional Katalox product on your store in the past year, haven't I @Konas?  What makes you decide to make pieces from woods you don't normally carry like Katalox...Spalted Tamarind...etc.  Do you go to the wood store and see what calls to you like some sort of "whisperer"?  Or do you see a certain wood is on sale and say "eh why not?" :) 

Kind of curious.

Lol "The Wood Whisperer" - I like that.

1 minute ago, Thomas Browne said:

I probably wouldn't have from just the front piece.  As I said.. if you look at the far upper corner of the top piece.. there is some figuring/feathering there that reminded me of a walnut burl.  THAT was the clue for me.

A grainy throat?

9 minutes ago, Thomas Browne said:

I just picture @Konas walking to a piece of wood...rubbing it gently...speaking some form of elvish (or Nordic) gently to it....listening...and then telling the crew with him "This one.  It desires to be a sheath"

1 minute ago, tgpumpkin said:

I just picture @Konas walking to a piece of wood...rubbing it gently...speaking some form of elvish (or Nordic) gently to it....listening...and then telling the crew with him "This one.  It desires to be a sheath"

Sounds about right to me. 

2 minutes ago, tgpumpkin said:

Polish.

1 minute ago, Barb Bliss said:

Polish as in Poland, not as Pledge.

I KNEW what you meant..  but couldn't ignore the furniture polish pun.

59 minutes ago, tgpumpkin said:

Kind of curious.

We use to pick up different woods from the original mill we started with. They had a smaller selection but would occasionally get some odd woods in. Now, we usually get hit up by our new mill. It goes something like this, "Hey, we got __________ in. It's pretty sweet. Want some?" We also make some trips to woodcraft for supplies and see something new that we haven't used before. We also use Cook Woods and Bell Forest products to order stuff for custom orders. Whenever we do that, I usually hand pick another in a different species to try out. The busier we are, the less time we have to do that, unfortunately, but it is something I want to do more of going forward. We are considering doing 'wood drops' every so often. We get some cool wood in, like the Ambrosia Maple, and make 5 items out of it. Something like that.

5 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Polish as in Poland, not as Pledge.

Varnish is my polish...and I am Polish

2 minutes ago, Konas said:

We use to pick up different woods from the original mill we started with. They had a smaller selection but would occasionally get some odd woods in. Now, we usually get hit up by our new mill. It goes something like this, "Hey, we got __________ in. It's pretty sweet. Want some?" We also make some trips to woodcraft for supplies and see something new that we haven't used before. We also use Cook Woods and Bell Forest products to order stuff for custom orders. Whenever we do that, I usually hand pick another in a different species to try out. The busier we are, the less time we have to do that, unfortunately, but it is something I want to do more of going forward. We are considering doing 'wood drops' every so often. We get some cool wood in, like the Ambrosia Maple, and make 5 items out of it. Something like that.

Still hoping for another pink ivory die and maybe an elephant head dice box.

Just now, Barb Bliss said:

Still hoping for another pink ivory die and maybe an elephant head dice box.

As I said.. I'm looking for either a deck jacket or a sentinel -- leaning towards the latter.

Definitely thinking Walnut.. but stunning woods would obviously change my mind.

3 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

And that is your pledge.

Nice

4 minutes ago, Konas said:

..... so in other words you're a Wood Whisperer just as I had described.  :D 

I. KNEW. IT.

1 minute ago, Thomas Browne said:

As I said.. I'm looking for either a deck jacket or a sentinel -- leaning towards the latter.

Definitely thinking Walnut.. but stunning woods would obviously change my mind.

We have some very nice versions of woods we used kept in a 'special' pile. We will run them when we get caught up a bit. The guys usually pull the truly special stuff and save it for one offs.

I need....

More Spalted Tamarind

English Elm Burl

Waterfall Bubinga

Rosewood

and I will likely have a Padauk/Wenge combo item crafted.  Kinda leaning towards doing it for a 2nd sentinel so it matches the design of the first where I had Wenge/Redwood REDHEARTwith the Redwood REDHEART being the prominent wood.  

EDIT:  I meant to say redheart.  Not enough caffeine...

Edited by tgpumpkin

I also want more Ziricote too...but chances are that will have to be a small item given its rarity.  

1 minute ago, tgpumpkin said:

I also want more Ziricote too...but chances are that will have to be a small item given its rarity.  

Is it rare or just really expensive?

Just now, Barb Bliss said:

Is it rare or just really expensive?

I think it's expensive because its rare.