Serge Darveau

Pictures of DMG products at home.

57 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Huh, I thought that was the standard first project item.  You must have used a lathe somewhere else before????

No and no. A few of us have wanted a lathe for a long time but we are holding back for now. 

As promised, my precious shake down cruise from Monday.  Barb is the Queen of Lisboa!  Note that I played orange, and the significant lead I had over purple and yellow!  I only had 4 "stores" compared to 6 and 7 for the boys, but public buildings and decree cards crushed them.

image.thumb.png.199cd0594a97639337a0b1979a7bb46f.png

image.png.d8e19ccd827dd6fa2983250d19f66519.png

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Doc Rissel said:

I don't know that this has been asked of you guys before, but have you ever made cribbage boards?  That is a game that I can always get my father-in-law to play with me while I'm visit my wife's parents.  Even though I'm more of a hobby gamer, I think many of your designs would make amazing cribbage boards.

I've bugged them repeatedly about this too @Doc Rissel. I swear @Konas, I did not put him up to this.

• Like 1

@Konas, can you or lindsey resend me my dice tower pledge manager link again?  I think I need to have some red heart after seeing these pictures.

• Like 2

Just now, Barb Bliss said:

@Konas, can you or lindsey resend me my dice tower pledge manager link again?  I think I need to have some red heart after seeing these pictures.

Lindsey is on it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

As promised, my precious shake down cruise from Monday.  Barb is the Queen of Lisboa!  Note that I played orange, and the significant lead I had over purple and yellow!  I only had 4 "stores" compared to 6 and 7 for the boys, but public buildings and decree cards crushed them.

@Barb Bliss I recently entered the world of Lacerda with The Gallerist and I love it. Vinhos was recently purchased but has not delivered yet, and Lisboa is on my wishlist. 

1 minute ago, Adam said:

@Barb Bliss I recently entered the world of Lacerda with The Gallerist and I love it. Vinhos was recently purchased but has not delivered yet, and Lisboa is on my wishlist. 

I really like it, but it can feel overwhelming when you play it the first time.  Your turn mechanics are basically easy, but the options you can choose from are a lot.  So what's the best thing to do, and how does this affect the other players.  You can go economic, religious, and/or political routes.  Spend time with the cardinal, he provides you with influence, and the ability to break some rules.  You can go in the front door to see the royals or "bribe" them by going in the back door.  If you've garnered previous favor, you can cash it in and "follow" someone else's visit.  You have to build up your influence or you can't get in the front door.  If you don't have money you can't build stores.  If you don't build stores, you don't have commodities to sell or bribe the royals.

1 minute ago, Barb Bliss said:

I really like it, but it can feel overwhelming when you play it the first time.  Your turn mechanics are basically easy, but the options you can choose from are a lot.  So what's the best thing to do, and how does this affect the other players.  You can go economic, religious, and/or political routes.  Spend time with the cardinal, he provides you with influence, and the ability to break some rules.  You can go in the front door to see the royals or "bribe" them by going in the back door.  If you've garnered previous favor, you can cash it in and "follow" someone else's visit.  You have to build up your influence or you can't get in the front door.  If you don't have money you can't build stores.  If you don't build stores, you don't have commodities to sell or bribe the royals.

Yes - it's definitely not the game for you if anyone in your group is prone to AP.

I know that I did a lousy job of balancing things my first play through (partially because I misunderstood the rules - so what I thought would score lots of points, scored like two :( ).

I definitely want to give it another go - it's just such a huge game to carry around to my group. :(

Just now, Thomas Browne said:

Yes - it's definitely not the game for you if anyone in your group is prone to AP.

I know that I did a lousy job of balancing things my first play through (partially because I misunderstood the rules - so what I thought would score lots of points, scored like two :( ).

I definitely want to give it another go - it's just such a huge game to carry around to my group. :(

It is a big box, but wow, I love the organization of the box.  And I didn't need broken token to do it.

I've played it around 5 times now.  What has made the difference is decree cards and public buildings.  At the beginning of the game, get some decree or end of game clergy tiles and start with those as a sort of game plan.  Then about 2/3's of the way through the game start tucking cards that gave me a decree card action, and then get a 2nd card using one of my rubble set cubes.  If you do it via the tuck or sponsoring an event,  no one can follow.  3/4 of the decrees were to help me, and 1/4 was to keep them of getting them.  This game I got a clergy tile for free ship builds which was awesome!  Every time I was low on influence, I'd build another ship.  Then with the store meeple, I picked the ones that made money = influence.  So I could ship a bunch of stuff and then pay for the public building employees and influence.  3 (about half of them) of my public buildings only gave points to my stores (and conversely blocked their ability to get wigs for their stores).

4 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

It is a big box, but wow, I love the organization of the box.  And I didn't need broken token to do it.

I've played it around 5 times now.  What has made the difference is decree cards and public buildings.  At the beginning of the game, get some decree or end of game clergy tiles and start with those as a sort of game plan.  Then about 2/3's of the way through the game start tucking cards that gave me a decree card action, and then get a 2nd card using one of my rubble set cubes.  If you do it via the tuck or sponsoring an event,  no one can follow.  3/4 of the decrees were to help me, and 1/4 was to keep them of getting them.  This game I got a clergy tile for free ship builds which was awesome!  Every time I was low on influence, I'd build another ship.  Then with the store meeple, I picked the ones that made money = influence.  So I could ship a bunch of stuff and then pay for the public building employees and influence.  3 (about half of them) of my public buildings only gave points to my stores (and conversely blocked their ability to get wigs for their stores).

Agreed - the game is very well organized.

Interesting - yeah.. I tried going a heavy store strategy.  Because I misunderstood how the public buildings worked.  By the time I learned I was wrong about it - the game was like 50% over, and I had invested too much for too little return to be in the game.

I did ok shipping as well.. but completely ignored the clergy which I think was a mistake.

I do like the game and want to play it again.. it's just always a question of which/how many "big box" games I can carry.  

17 minutes ago, Thomas Browne said:

Agreed - the game is very well organized.

Interesting - yeah.. I tried going a heavy store strategy.  Because I misunderstood how the public buildings worked.  By the time I learned I was wrong about it - the game was like 50% over, and I had invested too much for too little return to be in the game.

I did ok shipping as well.. but completely ignored the clergy which I think was a mistake.

I do like the game and want to play it again.. it's just always a question of which/how many "big box" games I can carry.  

Some of the clergy tiles are money, but beware.  If you are the only one doing the clergy, you can get caught with all 4 slots filled.  Then you have to wait for someone else to visit the cardinal before you can trade in the less desirable ones for wigs and gain influence.  Once you are all full on the clergy spots, you can no longer visit the cardinal.

28 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Some of the clergy tiles are money, but beware.  If you are the only one doing the clergy, you can get caught with all 4 slots filled.  Then you have to wait for someone else to visit the cardinal before you can trade in the less desirable ones for wigs and gain influence.  Once you are all full on the clergy spots, you can no longer visit the cardinal.

Not sure where to jump in on this one, but The Gallerist was the same way for me at first, super overwhelming. My brain was absolutely worked by the time I was done. The first game was definitely feeling it out a bit, and each subsequent play has gotten way better for strategy.

35 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

I have not had the pleasure of Lisboa-ing, but I wanted to comment that a game featuring a clergy-wig swap mechanic is intriguing.

Let’s be clear....that machine IS the beginning of the game changing dusty doom.  The wooden handle feather duster revolution BEGINS!!!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Konas said:

@Barb Bliss @LuckyIke@Adam@Thomas Browne@tgpumpkin@ElysianPeace@RomyCat@Ian Coyle@Russonc@Serge Darveau@SeeSome

Mike and I got a new toy....we are a little bit excited right now. But, no matter how hard you try, I will not divulge what we are making. No one here even knows but the 2 of us.

20180221_094219.jpg

Ah yes.

The one-of-a-kind--wooden-ale-tankard-crafting-machine-thingy.

And it will even feature a USB-port apparently.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, LuckyIke said:

I have not had the pleasure of Lisboa-ing, but I wanted to comment that a game featuring a clergy-wig swap mechanic is intriguing.

There are several mechanics like this.  There is a treasury marker.  Certain events make it go up, and certain events make it go down.  When the economy is booming, it requires less influence to see the royals.  If the economy is tanking, it takes more influence to see the royals.  If you're short just a little cash, you can trade influence for money.  If you don't have enough influence, you can trade wigs (i.e. victory points) for influence  (which is costly, but will get you in the door).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Laurent said:

Ah yes.

The one-of-a-kind--wooden-ale-tankard-crafting-machine-thingy.

And it will even feature a USB-port apparently.

Oooorrrrrr maybe they’re crafting wooden usb drives.  SECRET EXPOSED! :P 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tgpumpkin said:

Oooorrrrrr maybe they’re crafting wooden usb drives.  SECRET EXPOSED! :P 

I actually have one of those already.

I promised to do it and I DID IT! Better late than never.

• Like 1

Just now, Konas said:

Sorry @Barb Bliss I decided to go with flame birch because of all the questions we get about it here.

You're lucky you are lovable.  ¬¬

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

You're lucky you are lovable.  ¬¬

I will get to it. Maybe I will just save it for a special entry...like the 100th!

• Haha 1

Just now, Konas said:

I will get to it. Maybe I will just save it for a special entry...like the 100th!

I am sure that won't take long to get to at all...