Josh

Through the eyes of an apprentice Viking Lumberjack

Dani put a clearcoat on my amp housing today :) getting closer to completion. Its Mahogony and Bubinga with a red oak stained ash exterior

20190611_160842.jpg

2 hours ago, Josh said:

IMG_20190611_190637_265.jpg

20190611_172805.jpg

20190611_115459.jpg

Looks like Sawdust had one too many pieces of crap pizza.  Carbo coma battling it out with acid reflux.

Of course everyone knows BoRo is my favorite, but I do love myself Chechen, Redheart, and Ziricote.

16 hours ago, Josh said:

@Thomas Browne I don't think i could pick just one wood for aesthetics. Everytime i think i have a favorite an exceptional piece of something else catches my eye. There is so much variety within the different types its just too hard to choose.

As far as favorite wood to work with....i would have to choose walnut since it is a bit easier for me to sand. 

My favorite products are usually things with sculpts or engraving (dragon sheaths, screens and sentinels). For least favorites it would be hard to choose since i love everything we make so much ;) but cocos are definitely tedious. 

What is your favorite wood?

@Josh I'm kind of like you that I like a lot of the woods, especially when you get some exceptional examples of them.  But my "go to" woods are definitely redheart and Bolivian Rosewood.

And yeah - I could see how cocos could be tedious.. esp with the volume of them that you have to do.  Just remember the end is in sight! (until you start taking live orders for them :D )

14 hours ago, Josh said:

@Aurah Christian I really  like Bubinga. I used a beautiful piece of it on the front of my guitar amp housing.

My favorite stain I've  done is the dragon fire dice chest. I really haven't  had much time staining at Dog Might so I still don't  have the processes  down for the signature stains. I really do like Ebony on ash though. I was a big fan of the neon punk dice chest , but I don't  know who did that one. Jeremy did an orc screen not long ago that I really enjoyed. 

@WxCougar I love the busier more chaotic pieces of wood as well.

And I agree with you both about the wood - and it doesn't even need to be 'chaotic' really.  But I like the exceptional pieces - things like the more 'caramel' BoRo, or some really interesting lines in Bocote, etc.

Bubinga was actually my first intro to DMG, so will always be a special wood too.

For the stains - I definitely like the more 'multi-colored' stains.  I think it's kind of the same reason for my reaction with the woods -- I like the greater variation/differences.  If it's too homogeneous, it just feels less interesting.

14 minutes ago, Thomas Browne said:

And I agree with you both about the wood - and it doesn't even need to be 'chaotic' really.  But I like the exceptional pieces - things like the more 'caramel' BoRo, or some really interesting lines in Bocote, etc.

Bubinga was actually my first intro to DMG, so will always be a special wood too.

For the stains - I definitely like the more 'multi-colored' stains.  I think it's kind of the same reason for my reaction with the woods -- I like the greater variation/differences.  If it's too homogeneous, it just feels less interesting.

That is more or less by what I mean chaotic. Straight lines also are less interesting to me than swirls. But straight lines with color variations and that is just as cool as swirly.

15 hours ago, Josh said:

@Aurah Christian I really  like Bubinga. I used a beautiful piece of it on the front of my guitar amp housing.

My favorite stain I've  done is the dragon fire dice chest. I really haven't  had much time staining at Dog Might so I still don't  have the processes  down for the signature stains. I really do like Ebony on ash though. I was a big fan of the neon punk dice chest , but I don't  know who did that one. Jeremy did an orc screen not long ago that I really enjoyed. 

@WxCougar I love the busier more chaotic pieces of wood as well.

Bubingaaaaa!!!!! We haven't been getting as many astounding pieces of Bubinga as we used to, which breaks my heart. It can be such an absolutely stunning wood with its chatoyancy and warmth.

I think the neonpunk DC was Dani? @Zoxe grabbed that for his wife, I believe. Super gorgeous.

1559156925_IMG_7648.JPG

I'm also a huge fan of that screen Jeremy did. Is this kind of like the solar stain you guys were talking about for guitars?

1552915020_IMG_5672.JPG

And then this one was you?

1558712831_IMG_7199.JPG

I loved this one!

Today I worked on some beautiful walnut Adventure cases.

During lunch Trenton Donnie Shane and I had a disc golf putting contest. It was a good day

20190612_155008.jpg

20190612_131151.jpg

20190612_131030.jpg

20190612_130855.jpg

13 hours ago, Zoe said:

Bubingaaaaa!!!!! We haven't been getting as many astounding pieces of Bubinga as we used to, which breaks my heart. It can be such an absolutely stunning wood with its chatoyancy and warmth.

I think the neonpunk DC was Dani? @Zoxe grabbed that for his wife, I believe. Super gorgeous.

1559156925_IMG_7648.JPG

I'm also a huge fan of that screen Jeremy did. Is this kind of like the solar stain you guys were talking about for guitars?

1552915020_IMG_5672.JPG

I'll have to ask Dani about the neon punk one..wouldn't suprise me if she was responsible for it (she is pretty cool).

The stain on the orc screen definitely reminds me of a guitar stain plus look at all the pretty flame in that birch :)

13 hours ago, Zoe said:

And then this one was you?

1558712831_IMG_7199.JPG

I loved this one!

Yup Zoe, that one was done by me. Thank you for appreciating it. I hope i get to try my hand at more staining. I have so many ideas and techniques to try out.

19 hours ago, Zoe said:

1559156925_IMG_7648.JPG

1552915020_IMG_5672.JPG

Yes! The blue box of doom is sitting on our kitchen table as I eat breakfast. 😉

10 hours ago, Josh said:

@Thomas Browne I've definitely seen some beautiful pieces of Bubinga. Which Bubinga product was your intro to Dog Might?

A dice chest from the original dice chest KS campaign.

One which the Mike's graciously rebuilt for me maybe a year ago, when I asked if they could fix the fact that the pedestals didn't quite sit right, and that the metal emblem was discolored.

Here's the re-built one - I don't think I have a pic of the original posted.

IMG_20171220_181019744.thumb.jpg.868e795ad0278cb627ee5253f42353be.jpg

Turns out the neon punk dc was made by Donnie. Dani and Derek said they would love to claim the honor of being the person that executed that stain but upon further investigation it was Donnie. He hasn't  had much time in staining but he has an artistic eye so in sure we can expect good things from him

I was fortunate enough to do some gaming after work with Carmel, Donnie, Travis and Paris. I had a blast. I was apprehensive about playing a rpg but Carmel was a great DM so I had an experience  I won't  soon forget. I hope everybody here in the forum is having a good week so far. What kinds of games do you enjoy? 

20190613_160326.jpg

9 hours ago, Josh said:

I was fortunate enough to do some gaming after work with Carmel, Donnie, Travis and Paris. I had a blast. I was apprehensive about playing a rpg but Carmel was a great DM so I had an experience  I won't  soon forget. I hope everybody here in the forum is having a good week so far. What kinds of games do you enjoy? 

I've been having fun with Nemesis lately, and we've played it a lot lately.  Either co-op or semi-co-op.  Every game has been different.  (see what's on your table for some of the overviews)  Also play Massive Darkness once every month or two.  I tend to like games where you are driving for a goal, and not trying to kill each other.

My favorites are the rail games from Mayfair.  Empire Builder, North American Rails, British Rails, Eurorails, Iron Dragon...  Unfortunately I earned my nickname of "evil empire" because of my mastery of the game, and no one wants to play with me anymore.

I really like Red Dragon Inn, and Quarriors. Also enjoy the older games of Pay Day and Mille Bourne. Currently working on Assassin's Creed Origins in the video Game realm (also enjoy the Darksiders games as well).

13 hours ago, Josh said:

20190613_160326.jpg

Week at work has not been good but is ending on a high note. Home has been busy but good, with efforts to revamp our painting benches and convert a spare bedroom from PC gaming to hobby area finally coming together. We also went to see The Goonies at flashback theatre... classic 80s/90s movies on the big screen. It was epic.

Games: most played recently is Shadows of Brimstone. I've done Dropfleet Commander as a travel event (adepticon and a localish tourney). Historically, we probably have the most play time on SoB, tho zombicide black plague would run a close 2nd. I enjoy rpgs but dont have a consistent group and the local game stores host things too late for us (I'm up by 4:30 or 5 in a workday and maybe 7:00 on a weekend.). I've had thoughts of starting a single player campaign for Kingdom Death or Gloomhaven but haven't made the time.

Another disc golf putting competition during lunch breal today with Trent, Paris, Shane and myself. 

I hope everybody has some enjoyable weekend plans. 

20190614_124745.jpg

20190614_123949.jpg

Sorry, but you can't putt a frisbee!!!

Nice long weekend for me.  Friday: gin and sleeve action cardes from 7th Continent while watching THE FIRST PLACE TWINS.  With luck, I'll get to my Atmar Cardography cards too.  As soon as I get a nice buzz, I'll try adding some shelves to my Box Thrones for all the new games.  Saturday: massage and cleaning house/laundry.  Skipping game night as there is an alternate host that's 10 miles further from my house and thunderstorms are forecasted.  Sunday: most of the boys are coming over for Birthday games.  Jeremie's birthday was a couple of weeks ago.  I'll be giving him some of the rainbow pride dice I got from DMG.  Breakfast at the rich people's store, and picking up a killer cake.  Monday: On vacation!!!  IT'S MY BIRTHDAY.  YEAH!  YEAH!  YEAH!  YEAH!  Figure I'll sleep in (if that's possible), head over to the rich people's nursery to see if I can find some cardinal flower.  Mine winter killed.  smh  Then into the yard for a while as it will be partly cloudy with a high of 71.  Then get a free dinner at La Casitas.  

Before someone asks, here you go.

image.png.0d84b9fb0d89d48d0b80f56d9b76ca04.png

Love frisbee golf. We need to pull our discs out and play.

Bought some organization things for Arkham Horror, then realized they won't fit afterward. Luckily Dominion will so will try again today.

Also have a dress rehearsal today for our concert tomorrow. The composer of the piece we are premiering is here so that is pretty cool. He gave a talk yesterday about his work in the movie business (Laurence Nash Groupe).