Sign in to follow this  
Stace

Natural finish Vs high sheen?

A favour:

Does anyone have any examples of DMG products with a natural finish, as opposed to...a non-natural finish ("high sheen"? "Highly lacquered"?)? 

Perhaps some kind soul could post a pic or two (was going to post this in the DMG Action Shots thread, but figured a separate thread might be useful for others looking for similar advice)?

In general, is the only difference between these two options how shiny the finish is, or does it also affect woodlice/longevity.

I've ordered an Adventure Case in cherry and trying to decide whether to put in an 11th hour request for a natural finish?

All advice gratefully received.

Thanks!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stace said:

A favour:

Does anyone have any examples of DMG products with a natural finish, as opposed to...a non-natural finish ("high sheen"? "Highly lacquered"?)? 

Perhaps some kind soul could post a pic or two (was going to post this in the DMG Action Shots thread, but figured a separate thread might be useful for others looking for similar advice)?

In general, is the only difference between these two options how shiny the finish is, or does it also affect woodlice/longevity.

I've ordered an Adventure Case in cherry and trying to decide whether to put in an 11th hour request for a natural finish?

All advice gratefully received.

Thanks!

Hey Stace.

All of our PREMIUM tier woods only come with a "Natural" finish. What that means is they only ever get 3 coats of our Dog Might Varnish. "Natural" finish means that no stains or color modifying oils are used, only a clear varnish to protect the wood while enhancing the natural color and grain. Most of our premium woods exhibit a high luster. Cherry is included in this group. 

Hope that helps,
Mike

@Konas Was wondering if I could get some advice from you.  Obviously, I ordered quite a few cocos.  There are definitely some spots that don't have have the higher gloss look on some of the individual tiles.  It's weird...one section of the tile will have this nice high gloss but the other will look matted or almost like some light sawdust was in the air and got mixed.  I am theorizing here..I honestly don't know what causes it.  Maybe the wood just absorbed some of the finish.  I don't wish to send anything back and overall they are in great shape.  I am just saying some do have some rough spots for sure.  The Wenge is the most noticeable.  Anyway, I do want to figure out a way to maybe add some more varnish on the tiles.  Do you have ideas for how I should try to handle this myself?  Specifically, should I sand down the section of the wood and add a clear coat or can I just take like a foam brush and put a layer of varnish right on top of what's there?  Could you recommend a brand to buy?  I just need a little direction on how to handle this myself.  

On 4/28/2018 at 9:36 AM, yatescory said:

@Konas Was wondering if I could get some advice from you.  Obviously, I ordered quite a few cocos.  There are definitely some spots that don't have have the higher gloss look on some of the individual tiles.  It's weird...one section of the tile will have this nice high gloss but the other will look matted or almost like some light sawdust was in the air and got mixed.  I am theorizing here..I honestly don't know what causes it.  Maybe the wood just absorbed some of the finish.  I don't wish to send anything back and overall they are in great shape.  I am just saying some do have some rough spots for sure.  The Wenge is the most noticeable.  Anyway, I do want to figure out a way to maybe add some more varnish on the tiles.  Do you have ideas for how I should try to handle this myself?  Specifically, should I sand down the section of the wood and add a clear coat or can I just take like a foam brush and put a layer of varnish right on top of what's there?  Could you recommend a brand to buy?  I just need a little direction on how to handle this myself.  

I think you need to take a vacation in Ann Arbor, and bring your cocos.  Bring some Bison Grass Polish vodka, and play a game with the gang.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barb Bliss said:

I think you need to take a vacation in Ann Arbor, and bring your cocos.  Bring some Bison Grass Polish vodka, and play a game with the gang.

Haha sounds like a fantastic idea to be honest.

Posted (edited)

Just email Zoe! She’ll tell you what to do. But I second Barb if you can swing it go visit Valhalla. 

Edited by ElysianPeace

On 4/28/2018 at 10:36 AM, yatescory said:

Ooh, yes, especially if you see it more on the Wenge, it is likely to be from the wood being so porous. Honestly... particularly with our new finish, we hesitate to give you any advice. With our old varnish, I could say to add more poly to it, but with our new catalyzed lacquer, I can't promise that it will stick. We are more than happy to have you send them back to us and we'll touch 'em up. :)

7 minutes ago, Zoe said:

Ooh, yes, especially if you see it more on the Wenge, it is likely to be from the wood being so porous. Honestly... particularly with our new finish, we hesitate to give you any advice. With our old varnish, I could say to add more poly to it, but with our new catalyzed lacquer, I can't promise that it will stick. We are more than happy to have you send them back to us and we'll touch 'em up. :)

My boulder has a few spots that could get hit a little more, but will probably wait for another swing through Michigan.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zoe said:

Zoe, thank you!  I know you guys are more than happy to take them back and touch them up, but I don't want to do that.  Even the tiles that do look a little rough are at least "good" conditon.  I understand you now wanting to recommend anything else.  I will happily keep them the way they are!  Thanks for offering and for the advice though!  Glad that I didn't go out and try something on my own already.