3 minutes ago, Konas said:

I had a bad one in fifth grade while playing tackle football. Took a quiz directly after and my writing was chicken scratch ( I thought it was funny that, despite being a good student, my teacher actually graded a quiz where every word I wrote was literally nonsense). I knew I was in trouble when I couldn't figure out how to ride my bike home.  Got home and went right to bed. Next thing I know, I awoke about 30 hours later in the hospital. Evidently, I was sped in an ambulance, threw punches at my dad and older brothers, then let out a 20 minute burst of profanity at the doctors and nurses. Felt fine a couple of days later.

Got back to school and every kid was concerned that we would get in trouble for playing tackle. I didn't snitch. Also, got the 'F' I received for my quiz expunged.😁

You'd think the teacher would have had a clue that there might be a problem when a good student writes out nonsense.  I give that teacher an F.

4 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

You'd think the teacher would have had a clue that there might be a problem when a good student writes out nonsense.  I give that teacher an F.

Haha, yeah! Probably wouldn't happen now. Then again, awareness of the seriousness of concussions is much higher now, too. I know there was some rising debate as a result of some research as to whether or not we should as a species keep playing football, lol... or at least that we should re-consider letting really young kids play, or what have you.

12 hours ago, Konas said:

I had a bad one in fifth grade while playing tackle football. Took a quiz directly after and my writing was chicken scratch ( I thought it was funny that, despite being a good student, my teacher actually graded a quiz where every word I wrote was literally nonsense). I knew I was in trouble when I couldn't figure out how to ride my bike home.  Got home and went right to bed. Next thing I know, I awoke about 30 hours later in the hospital. Evidently, I was sped in an ambulance, threw punches at my dad and older brothers, then let out a 20 minute burst of profanity at the doctors and nurses. Felt fine a couple of days later.

Got back to school and every kid was concerned that we would get in trouble for playing tackle. I didn't snitch. Also, got the 'F' I received for my quiz expunged.😁

Glad your teacher was merciful about your grade. Last year of my students got an concussion from falling off the back of a moving vehicle.  She thought she was fine, but she began acting a bit strangely and had headaches so her parents took her to the hospital. She was out of school a few days and then was fine. 

12 hours ago, Zoe said:

Haha, yeah! Probably wouldn't happen now. Then again, awareness of the seriousness of concussions is much higher now, too. I know there was some rising debate as a result of some research as to whether or not we should as a species keep playing football, lol... or at least that we should re-consider letting really young kids play, or what have you.

I saw that movie about it with Will Smith. After watching it, there is no way I would play football. But then again, I have never played it or plan to. Being a girl automatically prevents you from playing at most schools. 

Many years ago I did teach a stocky girl who was determined to play at the jr. high where I taught. She tried to enter the try-outs but the coaches strongly discouraged her from it. I don't think they gave her a straight "no" but a mostly no.  She was disappointed. Personally, I think she had the fire and muscle for being a great player. 

1 hour ago, RomyCat said:

Glad your teacher was merciful about your grade. Last year of my students got an concussion from falling off the back of a moving vehicle.  She thought she was fine, but she began acting a bit strangely and had headaches so her parents took her to the hospital. She was out of school a few days and then was fine. 

This happened to one of my sister's friend.  She died later in the day from bleeding in her brain.  She was only 15.  Very sad.

On 6/10/2019 at 9:34 PM, Barb Bliss said:

This happened to one of my sister's friend.  She died later in the day from bleeding in her brain.  She was only 15.  Very sad.

That is so sad. I'm sorry about your friend's sister.  Over the years as a teacher, my school has experienced the lost of several teens due to various incidents. One of my students died in a 4-wheel accident. While he was jumping a hill, he lost control and the four wheeler landed on him, breaking his neck. Another one was on a dock at a pond. He knew he couldn't swim, but he climbed over the railing and was handing onto the other side. His friends didn't notice when he accidentally slipped into the water and disappeared until it was too late. One of my students in my graphic design class made a mural in honor of him which stayed as a wall paper on the computer all year.

Posted (edited)

I have a walk-behind brush mower that I use on the trails and such until I can get my grandfather's tractors running again (but that's the topic of another post).

I used it last weekend, and despite a lot of slime in the tires (puncture sealant) I had a tire flat out and come completely off the rim.  I was disgusted; I had a lot to do before my family arrives and I only got 1/3 of the way done - and no way to reseat the tire bead to keep going.  Took it to the tire shop on Monday - upon inspection, the inside looked like a porcupine; the kid assigned to do the work spent almost an hour pulling thorns out. 

This is just one -- hard to tell from the pic, it's almost 2" long and maybe 3/16" at the base.  Gnarly!  

When you impress a career tire guy, it's a good thorn!

20190702_162558.thumb.jpg.8a51d577c05d396fd3b3fbc8fc7ce786.jpg

Edited by Zoxe

1 hour ago, Zoxe said:

I have a walk-behind brush mower that I use on the trails and such until I can get my grandfather's tractors running again (but that's the topic of another post).

I used it last weekend, and despite a lot of slime in the tires (puncture sealant) I had a tire flat out and come completely off the rim.  I was disgusted; I had a lot to do before my family arrives and I only got 1/3 of the way done - and no way to reseat the tire bead to keep going.  Took it to the tire shop on Monday - upon inspection, the inside looked like a porcupine; the kid assigned to do the work spent almost an hour pulling thorns out. 

This is just one -- hard to tell from the pic, it's almost 2" long and maybe 3/16" at the base.  Gnarly!  

When you impress a career tire guy, it's a good thorn!

20190702_162558.thumb.jpg.8a51d577c05d396fd3b3fbc8fc7ce786.jpg

Drew has a black thorn tree in his yard that looks about that lethal.  He keeps hoping for a squirrel impalement, but so far no dead squirrels stuck on a tree branch.