Just to be the Yin/Yang of Barb's Simple Pleasures thread, here's the place to admit those times when Murphy's Law jumped up and bit you.  

I'll go first.  Tuesday, we went to a concert about 2 hrs away. I got a hotel room free with points, took a vacation day yesterday.  Lazy morning, and an easy weekday interstate drive, brunch at a local cafe and we were home before noon.

The weather was FANTASTIC.  I decided to fire up the chainsaw and continue to chew on the pile of lumber we have from clearing land last fall.  Next to the log I'm cutting there was a small piece, maybe 3 inches in diameter and 6 or 8 inches long.  As I finished a cut, the chain grabbed it, and threw it backwards at speed. The chunk bounced off my shin like a wooden softball.

I turned off the saw, danced around, practiced my "4 letter word" grammar. But, didn't feel any blood running, and figured I should get back to work.  Finished that tank of gas, walked back to the garage, cleaned the saw, gassed back up and ran a second tank through it.  I came inside to get cleaned up, and that's when I realize I have a goose egg the diameter of a tennis ball (and about half as high) popping out of my leg.  THAT's when it started hurting.

Pictures to my brother (a nurse) and after a quick back and forth and I spent the rest of the night with an ice pack.  Ow, ow ow.

Is better today; I'll have a helluva bruise but I can walk.

13 hours ago, Zoxe said:

Just to be the Yin/Yang of Barb's Simple Pleasures thread, here's the place to admit those times when Murphy's Law jumped up and bit you.  

I'll go first.  Tuesday, we went to a concert about 2 hrs away. I got a hotel room free with points, took a vacation day yesterday.  Lazy morning, and an easy weekday interstate drive, brunch at a local cafe and we were home before noon.

The weather was FANTASTIC.  I decided to fire up the chainsaw and continue to chew on the pile of lumber we have from clearing land last fall.  Next to the log I'm cutting there was a small piece, maybe 3 inches in diameter and 6 or 8 inches long.  As I finished a cut, the chain grabbed it, and threw it backwards at speed. The chunk bounced off my shin like a wooden softball.

I turned off the saw, danced around, practiced my "4 letter word" grammar. But, didn't feel any blood running, and figured I should get back to work.  Finished that tank of gas, walked back to the garage, cleaned the saw, gassed back up and ran a second tank through it.  I came inside to get cleaned up, and that's when I realize I have a goose egg the diameter of a tennis ball (and about half as high) popping out of my leg.  THAT's when it started hurting.

Pictures to my brother (a nurse) and after a quick back and forth and I spent the rest of the night with an ice pack.  Ow, ow ow.

Ouch!  My most painful injury was kind of like that.  I was walking around the house in socks.  My heel came down on the very edge of an area rug, slid down to the hardwood, and then shot out.  My brain knew I was going to go down like a sack of wet flour, so I started kicking out trying to stop the skid.  On the second kick, my pinkie toe caught on a door casing, jamming the heck out of it, ticking off every tendon, and breaking at least one bone.  The toe blew up and looked like a Concord grape in a very short amount of time.  You don't realize how much you use you pinkie toe until it screams when you breath on it.  I managed to hobble around for a day, but as "luck" would have it, I had a chiropractor appointment the next day.  I didn't want anything touching that toe, so I tried to keep the injury from him.  Of course he noticed, and wanted to do something about it.  OMG did that adjustment HURT.  But as he predicted, it felt so much better 3-4 hours later.  That toe still is warmer than the other toes all these years later.

Great thread!

A few months ago, I was sleeping and had a strange dream. I was at a cookout on some Sunday afternoon. The party was quite large, a few hundred people, large white tent, many tables. A friend from college was playing in the band that was entertaining the party goers. Out of nowhere, fierce winds started to blow and rain came down in a torrent. The hosts began handing out clear plastic tarps to everyone to cut a head hole in and wear for protection. As I put mine on, I noticed that there was something rolling on the grass in the high winds. I couldn't make out what it was as it rolled up onto my tarp covered leg. Once it stopped rolling, I could clearly see that it was a mouse about the size of a house cat. I kicked it off my leg......

And that is when I woke up. I was in massive pain as I had just kicked the wall next to my bed as hard as I could. My immediate thought was that I had broken my toe. Sawdust, who had been sleeping on the bed next to me was clearly freaked out. It hurt like a son of a bitch.

My toenail fell off and, I think, it is growing back slowly now. 

2 minutes ago, Konas said:

Great thread!

A few months ago, I was sleeping and had a strange dream. I was at a cookout on some Sunday afternoon. The party was quite large, a few hundred people, large white tent, many tables. A friend from college was playing in the band that was entertaining the party goers. Out of nowhere, fierce winds started to blow and rain came down in a torrent. The hosts began handing out clear plastic tarps to everyone to cut a head hole in and wear for protection. As I put mine on, I noticed that there was something rolling on the grass in the high winds. I couldn't make out what it was as it rolled up onto my tarp covered leg. Once it stopped rolling, I could clearly see that it was a mouse about the size of a house cat. I kicked it off my leg......

And that is when I woke up. I was in massive pain as I had just kicked the wall next to my bed as hard as I could. My immediate thought was that I had broken my toe. Sawdust, who had been sleeping on the bed next to me was clearly freaked out. It hurt like a son of a bitch.

My toenail fell off and, I think, it is growing back slowly now. 

Owwwww.  I had a weird dream once that caused me to throw out an arm.  As luck would have it, I avoided the wall AND I punched my ex in the face.  A twofer.

Ahaha, I got night terrors as a kid, which is like sleepwalking during a nightmare. One of the ones I had was kind of Zelda-esque. There were tall, wiggly pillars standing above a crashing ocean. It was dark, spooky. All you could see was the next pillar and the waves crashing up against the bottom of them. It was a million miles down, it seemed like. I stepped from one pillar to the other.

Then I fell.

And I woke up.

I had been standing on my bed, trying to step to the stool at my writing desk. Not the most stable of stools - it was one of those fold-up ones - so I fell. I crawled back into bed and didn't remember anything until I got to the mirror that morning and saw dried blood on my nose.

Hahaha, oops. Now this is turning into a dream sharing thread, lol.

Whenever I think of Murphy's Law, I think of all the times in theater where we had something wrong with the set, and it was always dead center stage.

Another chainsawing story:

Last fall I cut a short trail into the woods behind the house to get to some snags and deadfall. I cut up the two trees I'd meant to get to, still had gas in the tank, and noticed a locust that had died early just off the trail.  "Oh well, I'll grab it too." It falls right where I want it, life is good. (Tree count = 2).

Cutting that up (tree count = 3), I notice another one. I decide to get bold. It's bigger, and I'm getting tired but I'm there and there's no time like the present. "I'll just drop it, limb it out, and go have a whisky."

I make my cuts, (tree count = 4) it starts to fall where I'd put it, but one of the limbs catch on the neighbor and it was just enough to twist the tree and deflect the angle 45 degrees and directly into another tree. 

I sigh, start cutting it out, but it won't fall. 

I look at the tree it's on, another locust and good burning, decide to drop it too (tree count = 5).  I make my first cut, the load shifts and pinches the saw bar. Off to the garage for wedges and the spare saw, which I then remember is nonrunning.  Ugh, get spare bar, chain, and disassemble/reassemble. Much time wasted.

More cuts, wedges, both hung up trees start to sway, and the whole mess starts to fall. The snagged tree digs in the dirt, becomes a pivot point, and goes in a new direction, and ... into another tree. Thankfully, it had enough momentum and it all crashed down, but brought half the new tree with it. (Tree count = 6).

I'd worked myself in a full circle. I got everything down and safe and cut up the mess a few days later.  I now have a nice clearing in the woods suitable for a tent, table, and fire. 

23 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

Another chainsawing story:

Last fall I cut a short trail into the woods behind the house to get to some snags and deadfall. I cut up the two trees I'd meant to get to, still had gas in the tank, and noticed a locust that had died early just off the trail.  "Oh well, I'll grab it too." It falls right where I want it, life is good. (Tree count = 2).

Cutting that up (tree count = 3), I notice another one. I decide to get bold. It's bigger, and I'm getting tired but I'm there and there's no time like the present. "I'll just drop it, limb it out, and go have a whisky."

I make my cuts, (tree count = 4) it starts to fall where I'd put it, but one of the limbs catch on the neighbor and it was just enough to twist the tree and deflect the angle 45 degrees and directly into another tree. 

I sigh, start cutting it out, but it won't fall. 

I look at the tree it's on, another locust and good burning, decide to drop it too (tree count = 5).  I make my first cut, the load shifts and pinches the saw bar. Off to the garage for wedges and the spare saw, which I then remember is nonrunning.  Ugh, get spare bar, chain, and disassemble/reassemble. Much time wasted.

More cuts, wedges, both hung up trees start to sway, and the whole mess starts to fall. The snagged tree digs in the dirt, becomes a pivot point, and goes in a new direction, and ... into another tree. Thankfully, it had enough momentum and it all crashed down, but brought half the new tree with it. (Tree count = 6).

I'd worked myself in a full circle. I got everything down and safe and cut up the mess a few days later.  I now have a nice clearing in the woods suitable for a tent, table, and fire. 

I think you should swear off using a chainsaw ever again.  Stick with whisky, and pay someone else to clear your dead trees.

9 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

I think you should swear off using a chainsaw ever again.  Stick with whisky, and pay someone else to clear your dead trees.

I actually truthfully enjoy it.  It's therapeutic, in a way.  Chainsaw Therapy is my term for it.  For every story like this, there's 5 or 10 stories that belong in the #simplepleasures thread.  

The story above, I was taking pictures and sending them to my dad and brothers on whatsapp with captions.  "Now look at what I've done."  "Oh gawd I had to cut another tree."  "Huh, well now the saw is stuck too."  "Whoops, another tree joined the party."  :)

Whenever I wear a new sweatshirt or shirt that I really like, I end up slopping some sort of food on it.  It's really weird how chronic the issue is.  The last time it happened, I wore my new Michigan State grey sweatshirt to the local pub and ordered a burger and a beer.  Once my burger showed up, I shook the mustard jar, and of course the lid wasn't screwed on.  You guessed it.  Mustard EVERYWHERE.  I never did quite get the yellow stain out.  Of course the waitress felt terrible as I told her about my spill curse while ordering, so I wouldn't order something that was prone to dripping.  

Any who, while I was in the yard (and far past the point of enjoyment), Emma came over and asked me if I wanted to go out for pizza with her and her mom (that is visiting).  Uh, yeah!  I ended up wearing my brand new ladybug t-shirt that has to be washed in cold water, inside out, and on the delicate setting.  I seriously stopped and contemplated not wearing it because I didn't want to spill on it.  I decided to just wear it and get it over with.  We ended up going to Punch Pizza.  It's a Vera Pizza Napoletana member, wood burning pizza place.  I got the "Milanese" (ham, roasted red pepper, gorganzola, and basil).  On the third slice, I took the first bite, and tomato sauce/red pepper fell off the slice and onto my new lady bug shirt.  SMH

On 5/9/2019 at 5:48 PM, Zoxe said:

Just to follow this up, I'm not healed up yet and I'm kind of sighing about it.  After that first night, the swelling went down and by the first weekend I was feeling pretty good.  In fact, that first Saturday was my Dropfleet tournament, and I was pretty much on my feet from 10:30 am to almost 10 pm getting through the 3 games.  It was tender, but nothing really bad going on.  Monday and Tuesday I was fine, but stayed off of it as much as possible.

Last Wednesday (a week after the incident), it started swelling up again and was looking really gnarly (orange and green and purple).  I had a knot the size of an uncracked walnut come up, and the area around it was puffy.  Blood clots run in my family, and they get scary quickly.  More back and forth with the nurse brother on Thursday, and Friday morning I did a walk-in to my doc's office. 

I truly expected the doc to send me off for an ultrasound, but he poked and prodded and shrugged.  It's in a low risk area away from the veins, it's not showing signs of a clot, and "it looks like you just took a good wollop."  He set me up with some kinestetic tape, which gave instant relief, and I'm taking it (mostly) easy this weekend.

I'm frustrated because the weather finally turned, and I'm on the couch with my foot up.  Sitting at the paint bench isn't so great either, but I'm hopeful that I can get some assembly done today.

A few ago, thinking about to make some cleaning in my basement before some problems with my sump pomp (broken, long electric shutdown)... so the floating ball has a bad idea to leave the pomp this week end. Murphy's law again :( 

eaucave1.thumb.jpg.5297626789fd45bfc706d94e06212ac8.jpg

looking better.

eaucave.jpg.65c2eeb252bf91f858f5e7bcefe64834.jpg

7 minutes ago, Serge Darveau said:

A few ago, thinking about to make some cleaning in my basement before some problems with my sump pomp (broken, long electric shutdown)... so the floating ball has a bad idea to leave the pomp this week end. Murphy's law again :( 

eaucave1.thumb.jpg.5297626789fd45bfc706d94e06212ac8.jpg

looking better.

eaucave.jpg.65c2eeb252bf91f858f5e7bcefe64834.jpg

Oh nooooooo.  :(

:(

4 hours ago, Serge Darveau said:

No boardgames were there :) 

The water is almost gone, clean it and dry it after.

That sucks.  I had water in my basement once when we had a monsoon, and it knocked out my power.  I now have a backup sump pump and a generator waiting patiently in my garage.

Note: kitty litter helps absorb humidity.