Well today was the earliest something happened to me.  I went on a pontoon ride, in Minnesota, on Easter Sunday.  It was a little cold going into the wind, but quite pleasant when we were going with the wind.  At about the halfway point of the ride, a bald eagle took several passes around us before heading back to the top of a big tree.  He was close enough to us that I said "Don't poop on me".

Haha, oh my gosh, I love the way you told this. That sounds absolutely lovely, but you've got me laughing so hard over the "don't poop on me"!

6 minutes ago, Zoe said:

Haha, oh my gosh, I love the way you told this. That sounds absolutely lovely, but you've got me laughing so hard over the "don't poop on me"!

He looked like he was lining up for a shot across our "bow".  This was the farewell cruise of this pontoon.  John bought a "caddie" of a pontoon last  fall.  3 floats instead of 2, so it glides better, has a little cabin, and can reach 35 mph.  It's a little bit wider (want to say half a foot), so they spent Friday and Saturday getting rid of the old lift and getting the newer snazzy lift installed.  Still some fine tuning required though.  I told John and Linda that they needed to take their friends out a lot more often to justify the expense.

23 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

He looked like he was lining up for a shot across our "bow".  This was the farewell cruise of this pontoon.  John bought a "caddie" of a pontoon last  fall.  3 floats instead of 2, so it glides better, has a little cabin, and can reach 35 mph.  It's a little bit wider (want to say half a foot), so they spent Friday and Saturday getting rid of the old lift and getting the newer snazzy lift installed.  Still some fine tuning required though.  I told John and Linda that they needed to take their friends out a lot more often to justify the expense.

These first warm days of spring always make me miss my pontoon. Guess what I named it....

#simplepleasures

Yesterday morning, we were leaving for work just as the horizon was lighting up. All the trees and buildings were black silouettes against a peachy and blue skyline.  Our front yard isn't hilly but rolls just a bit, and a bank of mist was hugging the depression.  

We have cut out a lot of trees in the past few years, not by choice. Acres of dead and dying ash, pine and Bradford pear that were up in our power lines.  I miss our cavelike driveway and "cabin in the woods" feel.  

But that was damn pretty.

Questionable #simplepleasures

Yesterday, I headed over to Home Depot to pick up some compost and potting soil.  I asked them how much their Cyprus mulch was.  It was "only" $3.75 a bag.  It was even cheaper than getting a bulk dump truck load from the landscaping place.  As I get about 70 bags a year, $2 a bag cheaper than last year is significant.  I got my little Matrix loaded up twice (55 bags of mulch, 3 bags of compost, 2 big bags of potting mix, and 4 bags of garden soil in total).  Over lunch today, I plan another run.  In theory, I will be good to go after getting more mulch, more compost, and peat moss. 

The Twins are in first place.  In fact, they currently have the best record in baseball.  Anyhoo, the local radio station morning show DJ is a HUGE Twins fan.  Any morning when the Twins are in first place, they play the "light and happy music" while they talk about the previous day's game.  After a lot of years of struggling teams in the twin cities, it's a simple pleasure to hear that light and happy music again.

I started work on the fountain garden this afternoon.  I didn't finish that garden as I was diverted by the promise of Punch Pizza.  But I did get the pump out of the basement, installed it, and it still works.  I got to listen to the water trickling down while I was working.

Friday, I got an email from John and Linda asking me if I wanted to sneak in a pontoon ride on their new pontoon before the weather turned.  Uh, YEAH!  It looks like a floating cocktail lounge.  73 degrees and sunny.  Music playing through the speakers.  Wine/cheese/crackers/grapes while floating in the middle of the lake with a gentle breeze.  Several pairs of Canadian Geese with their new really ugly baby honkers paddling beside them nearby.  Then a quick spin around half the lake, and then steaks and baked potatoes on the grill.  A nice and relaxing afternoon/evening before the weather turns ugly for a week.

Note: everyone should have a good friend with a pontoon.

One nice day in a week of rain otherwise, and the neighbors were out and chatting on the front steps.  The kids really got big over the winter.  Brauer is only 9 months old, but is going to be a BIG guy like his daddy.  Teddy decided there was more room by the tree in order to eat his ice cream.

image.thumb.png.026dd1d8004ec2d16720c5c0b126b603.png

image.png.23b2b15bb946d95bf5d41eaf03d76ac5.png