Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Well today was the earliest something happened to me.  I went on a pontoon ride, in Minnesota, on Easter Sunday.  It was a little cold going into the wind, but quite pleasant when we were going with the wind.  At about the halfway point of the ride, a bald eagle took several passes around us before heading back to the top of a big tree.  He was close enough to us that I said "Don't poop on me".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha, oh my gosh, I love the way you told this. That sounds absolutely lovely, but you've got me laughing so hard over the "don't poop on me"!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Zoe said:

Haha, oh my gosh, I love the way you told this. That sounds absolutely lovely, but you've got me laughing so hard over the "don't poop on me"!

He looked like he was lining up for a shot across our "bow".  This was the farewell cruise of this pontoon.  John bought a "caddie" of a pontoon last  fall.  3 floats instead of 2, so it glides better, has a little cabin, and can reach 35 mph.  It's a little bit wider (want to say half a foot), so they spent Friday and Saturday getting rid of the old lift and getting the newer snazzy lift installed.  Still some fine tuning required though.  I told John and Linda that they needed to take their friends out a lot more often to justify the expense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

He looked like he was lining up for a shot across our "bow".  This was the farewell cruise of this pontoon.  John bought a "caddie" of a pontoon last  fall.  3 floats instead of 2, so it glides better, has a little cabin, and can reach 35 mph.  It's a little bit wider (want to say half a foot), so they spent Friday and Saturday getting rid of the old lift and getting the newer snazzy lift installed.  Still some fine tuning required though.  I told John and Linda that they needed to take their friends out a lot more often to justify the expense.

These first warm days of spring always make me miss my pontoon. Guess what I named it....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#simplepleasures

Yesterday morning, we were leaving for work just as the horizon was lighting up. All the trees and buildings were black silouettes against a peachy and blue skyline.  Our front yard isn't hilly but rolls just a bit, and a bank of mist was hugging the depression.  

We have cut out a lot of trees in the past few years, not by choice. Acres of dead and dying ash, pine and Bradford pear that were up in our power lines.  I miss our cavelike driveway and "cabin in the woods" feel.  

But that was damn pretty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Questionable #simplepleasures

Yesterday, I headed over to Home Depot to pick up some compost and potting soil.  I asked them how much their Cyprus mulch was.  It was "only" $3.75 a bag.  It was even cheaper than getting a bulk dump truck load from the landscaping place.  As I get about 70 bags a year, $2 a bag cheaper than last year is significant.  I got my little Matrix loaded up twice (55 bags of mulch, 3 bags of compost, 2 big bags of potting mix, and 4 bags of garden soil in total).  Over lunch today, I plan another run.  In theory, I will be good to go after getting more mulch, more compost, and peat moss. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Twins are in first place.  In fact, they currently have the best record in baseball.  Anyhoo, the local radio station morning show DJ is a HUGE Twins fan.  Any morning when the Twins are in first place, they play the "light and happy music" while they talk about the previous day's game.  After a lot of years of struggling teams in the twin cities, it's a simple pleasure to hear that light and happy music again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started work on the fountain garden this afternoon.  I didn't finish that garden as I was diverted by the promise of Punch Pizza.  But I did get the pump out of the basement, installed it, and it still works.  I got to listen to the water trickling down while I was working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Friday, I got an email from John and Linda asking me if I wanted to sneak in a pontoon ride on their new pontoon before the weather turned.  Uh, YEAH!  It looks like a floating cocktail lounge.  73 degrees and sunny.  Music playing through the speakers.  Wine/cheese/crackers/grapes while floating in the middle of the lake with a gentle breeze.  Several pairs of Canadian Geese with their new really ugly baby honkers paddling beside them nearby.  Then a quick spin around half the lake, and then steaks and baked potatoes on the grill.  A nice and relaxing afternoon/evening before the weather turns ugly for a week.

Note: everyone should have a good friend with a pontoon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One nice day in a week of rain otherwise, and the neighbors were out and chatting on the front steps.  The kids really got big over the winter.  Brauer is only 9 months old, but is going to be a BIG guy like his daddy.  Teddy decided there was more room by the tree in order to eat his ice cream.

image.thumb.png.026dd1d8004ec2d16720c5c0b126b603.png

image.png.23b2b15bb946d95bf5d41eaf03d76ac5.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#simplepleasures

I can't read the story unless I pay for a subscription, but check out the muskie this boy yanked out of a Minneapolis lake.  I love his smile.  I bet this picture ends up on the wall in their house somewhere.

image.png.2f1eb8b0288b0401922d167d75501b52.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So this weekend we drove out into the foothills looking for cool pictures I can sell.

I saw this really cool shot of the riverbend (picture #1), so we stopped the car and walked back to the spot. I was getting the camera ready as I walked and accidentally hit the button, taking a picture of who knew what. I figured I would delete it later. 

I got home and uploaded the pictures, forgetting about the oopsie. Turns out that "oopsie" was a cool shot of the hills with a few fair weather cumulus in a blue sky. Also turned out to be straight by some sheer luck. Picture #2 is my accidental picture.

FB_IMG_1560229862189.jpg

FB_IMG_1560229800438.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WxCougar said:

So this weekend we drove out into the foothills looking for cool pictures I can sell.

I saw this really cool shot of the riverbend (picture #1), so we stopped the car and walked back to the spot. I was getting the camera ready as I walked and accidentally hit the button, taking a picture of who knew what. I figured I would delete it later. 

I got home and uploaded the pictures, forgetting about the oopsie. Turns out that "oopsie" was a cool shot of the hills with a few fair weather cumulus in a blue sky. Also turned out to be straight by some sheer luck. Picture #2 is my accidental picture.

FB_IMG_1560229862189.jpg

FB_IMG_1560229800438.jpg

Gorgeous pics. Nice composition. I really like the second shot. The slight angle makes it just a bit off putting which is odd for a scene like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WxCougar said:

So this weekend we drove out into the foothills looking for cool pictures I can sell.

I saw this really cool shot of the riverbend (picture #1), so we stopped the car and walked back to the spot. I was getting the camera ready as I walked and accidentally hit the button, taking a picture of who knew what. I figured I would delete it later. 

I got home and uploaded the pictures, forgetting about the oopsie. Turns out that "oopsie" was a cool shot of the hills with a few fair weather cumulus in a blue sky. Also turned out to be straight by some sheer luck. Picture #2 is my accidental picture.

FB_IMG_1560229862189.jpg

FB_IMG_1560229800438.jpg

This is absolutely gorgeous, oh man. I wanna say I want it framed but I'd like to just live there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zoe said:

This is absolutely gorgeous, oh man. I wanna say I want it framed but I'd like to just live there.

You should come to Minnesota.  Just bring your bug spray.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Konas said:

Gorgeous pics. Nice composition. I really like the second shot. The slight angle makes it just a bit off putting which is odd for a scene like that.

If I was actually taking the second one on purpose I would have lowered the camera angle to get more land. :). I assumed when I hit the button (I was not looking through the camera at all) that I would have shot the dirt in front of me.

The weather was good for all but the main house I was after. The sun was too far west and was washing out some of the pictures. I need to play with photoshop, which is not something I do normally.

FB_IMG_1560262947777.jpg

FB_IMG_1560262938373.jpg

FB_IMG_1560262964713.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zoe said:

This is absolutely gorgeous, oh man. I wanna say I want it framed but I'd like to just live there.

It is gorgeous in the countryside. This area is south (a few miles) of where the Oregon Trail runs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#simplepleasures  The Twins beat Boston last night (long after I went to bed) in the 17th inning.  This breaks a 2 game losing streak.  The Twins are the only team in the majors that hasn't lost more than 2 games in a row.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#simplepleasures  In honor of the 4th of July, the Twins have been doing tributes for the men and women active and veterans before each game.  I was listening to the pregame when they said there was going to be a fly over timed to the national anthem.  I went outside on my front steps and waited.  About 3 minutes later a very impressive plane few over my house.   I went back inside, and about 30 seconds later I saw the same plane flying over the stadium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#simplepleasures

A LONG TIME friend of my sister is tearing down her parents' house due to the costs of bringing it up to code.  Her brother remembered that my dad and my grandfather had signed the plaster, so they went looking for it.  I remember my dad saying he saw his dad's signature on some plaster in a house he was working in after he stripped old wallpaper off, and he decided to sign the wall next to his father's signature.  I would have been in 6th grade at the time.  Good God!  That's coming up on half a century ago.  Seeing his handwriting is like having him back again, if just for a few minutes.

From Miranda's email:

In emptying the house, my brother reminded us that your father signed the wall before he hung the wall paper in 1969. The plasterers had signed the wall after the house was moved in 1910 and your grandfather worked for that company. I can't see their signatures, but your dad's is loud and clear. It's dated 1979, but it was really 1969. I think he was probably remembering that the next month would be 1970 and got confused. Hope you enjoy the attached pictures.

 

image.thumb.png.1ec0766fe735486f1d5fced176d3778c.png

 

My grandfather's signature from 1910... 

image.thumb.png.561d0e412abe8cc97f3e65a66809b953.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There has to be more of you experiencing simple pleasures, right?

#simplepleasures

The rich people's grocery store had several big sales.  Half off porterhouse steaks (yes I got one), and (wait for it) $.10/ear of corn (limit of 10).  A $1.20 for a dozen ears of corn!  This is as close as I've come to the 13 for $1 from the road side stand on the way home from the golf course when I was in middle school.  Now that stuff was fantastic.  The guy knew my dad, and would walk back into the corn and pick 13 nice looking ears for us.  20 minutes from stalk to the pot!  WAS IT SWEET!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2019 at 4:10 PM, Barb Bliss said:

There has to be more of you experiencing simple pleasures, right?

#simplepleasures

The rich people's grocery store had several big sales.  Half off porterhouse steaks (yes I got one), and (wait for it) $.10/ear of corn (limit of 10).  A $1.20 for a dozen ears of corn!  This is as close as I've come to the 13 for $1 from the road side stand on the way home from the golf course when I was in middle school.  Now that stuff was fantastic.  The guy knew my dad, and would walk back into the corn and pick 13 nice looking ears for us.  20 minutes from stalk to the pot!  WAS IT SWEET!

Oooo... it's been too long since I've had a good steak.  I need to make that happen soon.

 

Nice long soak in the tub last night after packing to get the last bit of relaxation in before Gencon.  Calm before the crazy... :)

#simplepleasures

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...