Konas

Miniature Painting

I look forward to see The Thing. (I remember watching the movie with that title.) You are putting a lot of effort into the model. I am sure it will turn out great.

I've come to the conclusion, that I still stink at faces...

1) "little Ned"

image.png.17e3ab2ab9a3286045f98d3ec134183d.png

image.png

2) agents - can't remember which is which -- apparently these guys were in a dysfiguring accident...

image.png.1779daf36478d15e281727dc47afb58d.png

image.png.68513b744a72cb093d7433b2f9000d4a.png

image.png.09dc9bb186ced2bfbda4cf65923725d6.png Didn't get the backside in the email from Drew.  The robes turned out real nice, so that's too bad.

3) "the thing" - backside, undercarriage, front

image.png.2ec4551b6db560d3faed9514bfc97d8d.png  Backviewimage.png.7d1eec64cd96623d680add55cdab43d5.png underside...

image.png.5da962a165ce40d62c45b5a0b062cfbb.png front from above...

Edited by Barb Bliss

Woah!  Both mesmerizing and gruesome. Trying to do all those details to the Thing is mindblowing. Creepy purple veins, bones and  eyes. You did a good job to those horrifying creatures.

8 hours ago, RomyCat said:

Woah!  Both mesmerizing and gruesome. Trying to do all those details to the Thing is mindblowing. Creepy purple veins, bones and  eyes. You did a good job to those horrifying creatures.

Like a car crash, it's hard to look away, no?

7 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

Like a car crash, it's hard to look away, no?

Nice work. The light lavender highlights on the eyeball monster's limbs are excellent. You use interesting colors. Keep it up.

I picked up some killer Hordes minis at PAX...via product trade! I can't wait to get started on them. Even got a couple of war polar bears. I got a thing for polar bears.

Ok, FIRST POST from Zoxe, but I'll share.

I've been working on my Kingdom Death 1.5 Core Box, experimenting with zenithal highlighting and trying to teach myself how to airbrush a little bit.  Very simple "statue" paint job, but my goal is to have reasonable board game pieces from several feet away.

20171125_084202.jpg

20171122_203042.jpg

20171122_205258.jpg

20171125_104657a.jpg

6 hours ago, Konas said:

I picked up some killer Hordes minis at PAX...via product trade! I can't wait to get started on them. Even got a couple of war polar bears. I got a thing for polar bears.

Just before GenCon, Mrs. Zoxe and I were debating getting into WarmaHordes as the local game store between work and home has seen a resurgence in it.  We have so many kickstarter games inbound that we actually backed down from getting into yet another title.  But - Mrs. Zoxe would have been Trollbloods, which is what this sounds like?  You'll need to post some pics as you go so I can share.  :)

13 hours ago, Zoxe said:

Just before GenCon, Mrs. Zoxe and I were debating getting into WarmaHordes as the local game store between work and home has seen a resurgence in it.  We have so many kickstarter games inbound that we actually backed down from getting into yet another title.  But - Mrs. Zoxe would have been Trollbloods, which is what this sounds like?  You'll need to post some pics as you go so I can share.  :)

Will do. I tried to glue some up last night but after our vacation, all our glue was dried up. Tonight I shall try again. Yes, you are correct, it is Trollbloods. 

Your airbrushing is amazing. Very jealous.

7 hours ago, Konas said:

Your airbrushing is amazing. Very jealous.

@Konas, @Zoe, @RomyCat Thank you for the compliments!  I'm really happy with the project so far (the rest of the KDM core box is awaiting my procrastination) ... though I have to admit that I've got less than 20 hours on the airbrush and am (very exceedingly) not expert at it.  The technique is really simple and the KDM vibe lets me get away with the "statue" theme. 

Basically, I'm shooting black primer all over and then building shadows by spraying a series of colors from higher and higher angles (the brightest is nearly straight down).  A dark wash, then some drybrush of the brightest color.  The yellow glow on the people and the blue glow on the beasts is also careful drybrushing (I didn't trust myself to do it with the airbrush, hah).

Some work in process shots are here:

https://zoxes.blogspot.com/2017/11/hot-off-desk-kdm-starting-survivors.html

Seeing the process as it took place was cool. I have never dry brushed. I presume you can do it indoors. How much of an area do you need to marke off to do it?

9 minutes ago, RomyCat said:

Seeing the process as it took place was cool. I have never dry brushed. I presume you can do it indoors. How much of an area do you need to marke off to do it?

Dry brush or air brush?  Dry brushing takes no extra room.

6 hours ago, RomyCat said:

I do airbrush inside. I bought a small airbrush booth on Amazon that has lights, filter, and a fan to keep fumes and dust under control. It may be takes up a 3 ft by 2 ft area and the compressor is on the floor.  In theory it folds up for storage but so far I've had a line of models waiting to go through it. :)

As @Barb Bliss points out, dry brushing is a brush painting technique where you load the brush with unthinned paint, wipe most of it off on a paper towel, and then quickly and lightly brush the surface of the model to hit only the raised areas and pull the details up.  

Other than finish coating, I finished my squiddy model last night.  I'm calling her "Liz Taylor".  I tried a yellow glaze on the tentacles, and it turned out great.   Unpainted, it looks like this:

image.png.f20ef4037fede194542b0b6c384ed5c5.png 

19 hours ago, RomyCat said:

Oops, I meant air brush. I do use dry brushing on my minis. I have never done air brushing.

Next up for me - more from the Kingdom Death core box.  Left two are heroes, the right one is the 3rd (I think) boss.  I finished assembly last night and washed in a little bit of Dawn. I'm letting them dry another night and hope to airbrush primer tomorrow.

Assembly for these guys was ... challenging.  The girl in the center started life as the pile of parts in the 2nd picture.  Her head is 4 pieces (head/face and 3 different sections of hair).  Her skirt is 3 pieces attached to the torso.   The arm holding the lantern is 3 pieces (arm, lantern, lantern base).  She's by far the smallest mini in the set so far, with the smallest and most complicated parts.

The boss looks easier than the girl but actually gave me the most problems so far, and at one point thought I was going to need to cut pieces apart to correct for some clearance for items added later (but I made it work).  His helm is 3 pieces, left shoulder pad is multiple parts.  Even his feet multiple pieces and are split down the middle if you look closely.

Enjoying every minute of it ... but yeesh. :)

20171128_184506.jpg

20171125_154118.jpg

I have decided to purchase an Air Gun at some point in the future. @Zoxe has sold me.

I spent about 2 hours gluing up my new Warmahordes team. Good models. Easy to glue up. Awesome details as well.

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 5:52 AM, Zoxe said:

I do airbrush inside. I bought a small airbrush booth on Amazon that has lights, filter, and a fan to keep fumes and dust under control. It may be takes up a 3 ft by 2 ft area and the compressor is on the floor.  In theory it folds up for storage but so far I've had a line of models waiting to go through it. :)

As @Barb Bliss points out, dry brushing is a brush painting technique where you load the brush with unthinned paint, wipe most of it off on a paper towel, and then quickly and lightly brush the surface of the model to hit only the raised areas and pull the details up.  

I will do my airbrushing outside. I love it when my neighbor sees me priming my little models on my front porch, in the snow, at 10pm. Airbrushing will only add to this.

1 hour ago, Konas said:

I will do my airbrushing outside. I love it when my neighbor sees me priming my little models on my front porch, in the snow, at 10pm. Airbrushing will only add to this.

My neighbors already think I'm a lovable kook.  I think I sold the deal when I was sitting out in the yard, with my lawn chair sitting in a kiddie pool, and the oscillating sprinkler going back and forth over me.  I would go wooooh every time the cold water hit me.  Of course that was back when I actually had some lawn, so that had to be about . 

Just finished cleaning up the airbrush after working on the 3 figures above.  The two heroes are now fully airbrush-shaded.  The boss uses a different set of colors for the mid- and high-tones so I'll catch him up in a future airbrush session.

This is still a work in process - I still need to shade and dry brush - so no blog post yet.  Maybe tomorrow. :)  In the meantime, here's a preview for the DMG crew.

20171201_201111.jpg

12 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

@zoxe, I see Puzz in the male figure, but is the "wench" Lindsey or Zoe?

I will refrain from all commentary regarding the likeness (or not) of any and all DMG staff until AFTER my CoCo has shipped.  :)

@Zoxe, I didn't know some models required a lot of assembly. So far all the ones I have brought have come in one piece. I know to keep an eye out for that when buying new minis.

15 minutes ago, RomyCat said:

@Zoxe, I didn't know some models required a lot of assembly. So far all the ones I have brought have come in one piece. I know to keep an eye out for that when buying new minis.

Seems like a blessing and a curse.