Konas

Miniature Painting

After the dogs, I'll either start on Vindication or Nemesis next.  Gloomhaven is lurking too, but their minis seem chincy compared to those other two.  And considering Gloomhaven is still on my shelf of shame...

8 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

After the dogs, I'll either start on Vindication or Nemesis next.  Gloomhaven is lurking too, but their minis seem chincy compared to those other two.  And considering Gloomhaven is still on my shelf of shame...

I am working on Zombicide: Black Plague. They are decent. The big, expansion monsters are amazing.

3 hours ago, Konas said:

Those are very cool but do look like a massive pain. Is there a reason for that many parts? Are they super customizable?

Not customizable at all. All parts are keyed so only fit one way unless you want to start modding. Only reason for so many bits is I can't think of another way to cast them that would not leave larger seams.

3 hours ago, Konas said:

I am working on Zombicide: Black Plague. They are decent. The big, expansion monsters are amazing.

I so want black plague. It's one of those games I've wanted since I saw it announced. 

6 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

Yuck is what that is.

Assembly is my favorite part.  Results are quick and tangible (oh look! I assembled a thing!) and the excitement of playing with a new toy fresh out of the box/bag never gets old.  

Even with scraping mold lines, most nights I'd rather assemble than fill or paint.

11 hours ago, Zoxe said:

Assembly is my favorite part.  Results are quick and tangible (oh look! I assembled a thing!) and the excitement of playing with a new toy fresh out of the box/bag never gets old.  

Even with scraping mold lines, most nights I'd rather assemble than fill or paint.

That's because you're weird.  😈  Just kidding.

9 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

That's because you're weird.  😈  Just kidding.

Hah!  You're maybe not wrong.  :)

I started painting by accident. It's a very slippery slope.  I bought Shadows of Brimstone and started assembly. 

"Oh, I'll just paint a solid color."
"Hmm, I'll just dip shade them."
"Huh, I should just teach myself to dry brush."
"Yah, I should paint the teeth and the eyes."
"Yup, the heroes need more detail than the monsters because they're heroes."

On 1/21/2020 at 7:50 AM, Konas said:

This is sweet. Thanks so much for posting. Could you go into more detail about the initial color stacking? Do you start dark and move up through the lighter colors? If you don't mind...

I replied above, but wanted to add that Reaper Mini has been doing a big blitz on social media, with a ton more twitch streams, discord, and other forms of outreach.

Aaron Lovejoy is my main instructor/influence, and was a guest on a couple of Reaper's Twitch Streams this week.  I always recommend Miniature Monthly's videos for Airbrush 101, but it requires a patreon subscr.  In this video Aaron does most of his Airbrush 101 content live on a twitch stream, no credit card required.  

Everything I do is basically derived from Aaron's advice over the past few years.

Because of the format, it's a little chatty (vs. an instructional video).  He actually starts talking about his setup around minute 13:30.

PS:  The lady on the right is (I think) Anne; if I'm connecting the dots correctly, she designed the line of paints for Reaper.  If you ever get a chance to tour the Reaper factory, DO IT (i.e. via Reapercon). The machine they have to fill mini paint bottles is pretty cool.

Edited by Zoxe

Work in progress and testing the DMG figure holder! I have a lot of work left to do. At present I'm trying to get all the base colors in on the figure and base so that I can see if everything works as I hope. 

I like the Hammer Head where it is, but the gold armor is a little messy in the highlighting (and doesn't photograph well at all).  Need to paint his face, beard, and hammer handle.  So far so, good. Ideally I'd get him done this week and have 1 figure entry waiting on Labor Day.

20200208_134235.thumb.jpg.9fcdef85df195578878fef09b5fecfa4.jpg20200216_133400.thumb.jpg.09fb162687b71ec688976ab6a0d92214.jpg20200216_133404.thumb.jpg.d5299a53260bf3e81b773b329132fdf8.jpgIMG_20200217_102711.thumb.jpg.f640d0cee5f0b5c0374539e214f7ed3c.jpgIMG_20200217_102555.thumb.jpg.167532f5546e457cd8b856815303384a.jpg

IMG_20200217_102543.jpg

Edited by Zoxe

4 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

Work in progress and testing the DMG figure holder! I have a lot of work left to do. At present I'm trying to get all the base colors in on the figure and base so that I can see if everything works as I hope. 

I like the Hammer Head where it is, but the gold armor is a little messy in the highlighting (and doesn't photograph well at all).  Need to paint his face, beard, and hammer handle.  So far so, good. Ideally I'd get him done this week and have 1 figure entry waiting on Labor Day.

20200208_134235.thumb.jpg.9fcdef85df195578878fef09b5fecfa4.jpg20200216_133400.thumb.jpg.09fb162687b71ec688976ab6a0d92214.jpg20200216_133404.thumb.jpg.d5299a53260bf3e81b773b329132fdf8.jpgIMG_20200217_102711.thumb.jpg.f640d0cee5f0b5c0374539e214f7ed3c.jpgIMG_20200217_102555.thumb.jpg.167532f5546e457cd8b856815303384a.jpg

IMG_20200217_102543.jpg

Looks good. Love that blue for the cloak. 

Do you feel like you are able to keep paint off the wood of the painter easily? I feel like the cork gives it plenty of room.

1 hour ago, Konas said:

Do you feel like you are able to keep paint off the wood of the painter easily? I feel like the cork gives it plenty of room.

Up on the paperclip keeping things clean will be no big deal.  I did my main airbrushing on another cork (I bought a big bag of wine corks on amazon) and then transferred to the holder.  Unless I drop a brush or sneeze or something, I'm not going to slop paint on the holder by hand.  

Edited by Zoxe

34 minutes ago, Konas said:

I love the weapon.  I'm surprised you didn't paint it brass.  😁

25 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

I love the weapon.  I'm surprised you didn't paint it brass.  😁

There's some bronze and blue metallic colors in the shadows (they don't photograph well), but wanted to contrast the gold armor.  

This one is intended for display. I have another of this guy partially painted for my actual Freeblades army, and HIS is brass and gold color shift. :)

3 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

There's some bronze and blue metallic colors in the shadows (they don't photograph well), but wanted to contrast the gold armor.  

This one is intended for display. I have another of this guy partially painted for my actual Freeblades army, and HIS is brass and gold color shift. :)

Just thought it'd be fun to say he's using brass knuckles...

I brought in some minis today to take pics of in our photo booth. Want to see how they look with good equipment.

8 minutes ago, Konas said:

I brought in some minis today to take pics of in our photo booth. Want to see how they look with good equipment.

I want to see them.

3 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

I want to see them.

Hey they are. Just a small selection for now. I really don't like bringing them back and forth to work.

This is one of the Abominations from Zombicide Black Plague

IMG_5396 (2).JPG

A mini from Reaper, I believe. I literally finished this in about a half hour using mostly washes.

IMG_5398 (2).JPG

This is an L5R mini from Privateer Press Mini Crate that I totally love. I have about 10 L5R ones from them and most of them are excellent.

IMG_5402.JPG

42 minutes ago, Konas said:

A mini from Reaper, I believe. I literally finished this in about a half hour using mostly washes.

IMG_5398 (2).JPG

Do you dab washes or just wash over a bigger area?

1 minute ago, Barb Bliss said:

Do you dab washes or just wash over a bigger area?

For him, I actually dry brushed highlights first, then washed over the whole fig multiple times with different washes. I would use a brush with clean water on it to clean up a lighter area if the wash made it too dark.