Jump to content
Konas

Miniature Painting

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, marsniper_27 said:

When you can get a 2 player starter set for only $7 how do you pass up the opportunity (wrath of kings by c'mon).

Where did you find that deal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I have quite a few things getting started, aside from the 2x Battleship.

Kingdom Death Gorm is under assembly!

A pair of figures from Frozen Ninja that I'll proxy into Shadows of Brimstone.

I have called the KDM Gigalion and survivors done at least 3 times now but keep going back for adjustments and fixes. I think the survivors are "really done" now and I might put another hour into the gigalion and then take pics. Pics below are from several weeks ago, will finalize and update.

 

20191201_153433.thumb.jpg.02920a67bf1aab47ad1fac4fb1349d89.jpg20191117_094434.thumb.jpg.1817ede39fe71fff00781cbbbf8d3d68.jpg20190922_100618.thumb.jpg.505a3bd6c55cf43517746f3c22c89935.jpg20190922_100558.thumb.jpg.1b180593261ef20e3db9c3726d477c7a.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

Where did you find that deal?

Miniature market  https://www.miniaturemarket.com/cmnwok001.html

C'mon hasn't killed the range but there also hasn't been anything new for it in like a year but the game looked interesting so for that price (full rulebook is on sale as well for $10) had to grab it. I wish I knew for sure if me and my friend were going to like it the army sets are on clearance for $35 which is 24-30 models depending on the army. Or this one is even on for $12 for 39 minis https://www.miniaturemarket.com/cmnwok04001.html since it's army it has duplicates but still that value is pretty crazy and it's 12 or 13 unique sculpts still.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, marsniper_27 said:

Miniature market  https://www.miniaturemarket.com/cmnwok001.html

C'mon hasn't killed the range but there also hasn't been anything new for it in like a year but the game looked interesting so for that price (full rulebook is on sale as well for $10) had to grab it. I wish I knew for sure if me and my friend were going to like it the army sets are on clearance for $35 which is 24-30 models depending on the army. Or this one is even on for $12 for 39 minis https://www.miniaturemarket.com/cmnwok04001.html since it's army it has duplicates but still that value is pretty crazy and it's 12 or 13 unique sculpts still.

They have a few great deals, but not enough for free shipping, so not so great after all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

They have a few great deals, but not enough for free shipping, so not so great after all.

$6 flat rate shipping wife ordered me $60 of stuff so shipping was acceptable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, marsniper_27 said:

$6 flat rate shipping wife ordered me $60 of stuff so shipping was acceptable

I wasn't going to buy a $4 item and pay $6 for shipping.  😢

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Barb Bliss said:

I wasn't going to buy a $4 item and pay $6 for shipping.  😢

Ya $4 makes it a bit hard. Means you just need to find a couple more cool things to get lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, marsniper_27 said:

Ya $4 makes it a bit hard. Means you just need to find a couple more cool things to get lol

Unfortunately I did.

image.png.72ac4a2744413e21c35f5f6691c8401e.png

image.png.5911cfd0aef43cb45872a40e5b017fbe.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Zoxe said:

 

I have quite a few things getting started, aside from the 2x Battleship.

Kingdom Death Gorm is under assembly!

A pair of figures from Frozen Ninja that I'll proxy into Shadows of Brimstone.

I have called the KDM Gigalion and survivors done at least 3 times now but keep going back for adjustments and fixes. I think the survivors are "really done" now and I might put another hour into the gigalion and then take pics. Pics below are from several weeks ago, will finalize and update.

 

20191201_153433.thumb.jpg.02920a67bf1aab47ad1fac4fb1349d89.jpg20191117_094434.thumb.jpg.1817ede39fe71fff00781cbbbf8d3d68.jpg20190922_100618.thumb.jpg.505a3bd6c55cf43517746f3c22c89935.jpg20190922_100558.thumb.jpg.1b180593261ef20e3db9c3726d477c7a.jpg

The lion thingie is pretty cool.  The baby rhino mash up is kind a creepy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2019 at 11:09 AM, Zoxe said:

 

I have quite a few things getting started, aside from the 2x Battleship.

Kingdom Death Gorm is under assembly!

A pair of figures from Frozen Ninja that I'll proxy into Shadows of Brimstone.

I have called the KDM Gigalion and survivors done at least 3 times now but keep going back for adjustments and fixes. I think the survivors are "really done" now and I might put another hour into the gigalion and then take pics. Pics below are from several weeks ago, will finalize and update.

 

20191201_153433.thumb.jpg.02920a67bf1aab47ad1fac4fb1349d89.jpg20191117_094434.thumb.jpg.1817ede39fe71fff00781cbbbf8d3d68.jpg20190922_100618.thumb.jpg.505a3bd6c55cf43517746f3c22c89935.jpg20190922_100558.thumb.jpg.1b180593261ef20e3db9c3726d477c7a.jpg

Goodness, you're so talented! 

Question for you, and for everyone: how does one get started painting minis? I like doing my polymer clay ones, but I'd love to try my hand at painting some proper ones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Anne said:

Goodness, you're so talented! 

Question for you, and for everyone: how does one get started painting minis? I like doing my polymer clay ones, but I'd love to try my hand at painting some proper ones. 

There's no right or wrong way to get started and it depends what your end goals are or what style you prefer.

In general though, I recommend hobby grade paints (and a premade set can be good value, Reaper is available via Amazon), a decent primer (I don't personally recommend rattle cans anymore, but Vallejo surface primer and stynlrez can be brushed on by hand) and a set of decent brushes (Army Painter Most Wanted still get use on every project).  Beyond that all you really need is some paper towels, a solo cup, and a plastic disposable plate.

For other tools, I wrote this a couple of years ago, and it's still mostly relevant.  https://zoxes.blogspot.com/2017/11/zoxes-getting-started-guide.html?m=1

 

Edited by Zoxe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Anne said:

Goodness, you're so talented! 

Question for you, and for everyone: how does one get started painting minis? I like doing my polymer clay ones, but I'd love to try my hand at painting some proper ones. 

Youtube has a ton of videos on how to paint or watching a guy paint a mini and what techniques he uses.  Mileage varies, but they were a great boost in the beginning for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Anne said:

Goodness, you're so talented! 

Question for you, and for everyone: how does one get started painting minis? I like doing my polymer clay ones, but I'd love to try my hand at painting some proper ones. 

I came from a clay figurine background and I actually use several of the same techniques that I did with clay on the miniatures (only at a much smaller scale!). I got a pair of jeweler's glasses to help see what I am doing. I'm one of those people that uses apple barrel for their paints because I am familiar with it and know how to make it do what I want it to do. Haven't jumped over to the Reaper Paints yet but I am also not doing contests either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am declaring the KDM Gigalion and the Giga-Survivors to be done!  Again! (I've said this before, hah).

I actually bought 2 of this kit - one to paint quickly and one to hold and maybe do for a contest piece.  The survivors are super detailed and are all equipped with some iconic gear.  I did them in the same monochromatic flavor of my set (warm buttercream colors for heroes, grays and blues for monsters).

When I set out, I wasn't going to fill any of the mold lines and gaps, but relented and did a halfway job.  One of my regrets is not spending an extra session or two here smoothing these out, since I kept getting pulled back to the "fast" version to tweak things.

Edit:  Work in progress pics HERE:  https://zoxes.blogspot.com/2019/12/hot-of-desk-kingdom-death-gigalion.html

20191207_152629.thumb.jpg.06ee1c4fcd6780c4b2e8c873bed0483f.jpg20191207_152642.thumb.jpg.5be5170dc4f8f6ada6e2a899364bca85.jpg20191207_152556.thumb.jpg.056f43d3405c2ce46849f0a786727924.jpg20191207_152620.thumb.jpg.b0b45151170ef26a761f20317d233892.jpg20191207_152733.thumb.jpg.eee9bfa6f10abcac8ba490acd2c255d1.jpg20191207_152813.thumb.jpg.fba7bb78c3c3d58b9ed896315d88305b.jpg

Edited by Zoxe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, marsniper_27 said:

Such smooth transitions.

Not skill!  Airbrush magic!  

Seriously, the process goes like this (for the Lion):
- Trim, assemble, fill, and prime (I used Stynlrez, from the Patriot 105)
- 3 color triad base colors (Reaper Carbon Grey, AP Uniform Gray, AP Gorgun Hide)
- Wash (in this case, Reaper Black Wash, thinned 1:1 with water)
- Dry brush the highest color (in this case, AP Gorgun Hide)
- Dry brush accent color (AP Crystal Blue)
- Airbrush for contrast (Liquitex Titanium White)

The secret to airbrushing in this case is to keep the airbrush angle constant and let it "light" the model.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zoxe said:

Not skill!  Airbrush magic!  

Seriously, the process goes like this (for the Lion):
- Trim, assemble, fill, and prime (I used Stynlrez, from the Patriot 105)
- 3 color triad base colors (Reaper Carbon Grey, AP Uniform Gray, AP Gorgun Hide)
- Wash (in this case, Reaper Black Wash, thinned 1:1 with water)
- Dry brush the highest color (in this case, AP Gorgun Hide)
- Dry brush accent color (AP Crystal Blue)
- Airbrush for contrast (Liquitex Titanium White)

The secret to airbrushing in this case is to keep the airbrush angle constant and let it "light" the model.  

That lion is fantastic!!!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Finished the dragon.

image.thumb.png.2c10c53b255bf47c668c0ceb9debda2f.png 

image.png.b8ef8790092f66c3893b65710c6e4ec2.png

Looks like fun!

I showed these to Mrs. Zoxe and she admitted she backed the KS and has a set in her pile of shame. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Zoxe said:

Looks like fun!

I showed these to Mrs. Zoxe and she admitted she backed the KS and has a set in her pile of shame. 😉

The game is a blast.  Phrases like "Awww This is the cutest backstabbing card ever" and "I hate you so much right now" have been uttered when playing it.  The only downside is the player limit of 2-4.

This is my first attempt at a not vanilla base.  I can't decide if it looks like grass or vomit.

Edited by Barb Bliss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

The game is a blast.  Phrases like "Awww This is the cutest backstabbing card ever" and "I hate you so much right now" have been uttered when playing it.  The only downside is the player limit of 2-4.

This is my first attempt at a not vanilla base.  I can't decide if it looks like grass or vomit.

I think it reads as grass just fine! 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2019 at 3:41 PM, Zoxe said:

I am declaring the KDM Gigalion and the Giga-Survivors to be done!  Again! (I've said this before, hah).

I actually bought 2 of this kit - one to paint quickly and one to hold and maybe do for a contest piece.  The survivors are super detailed and are all equipped with some iconic gear.  I did them in the same monochromatic flavor of my set (warm buttercream colors for heroes, grays and blues for monsters).

When I set out, I wasn't going to fill any of the mold lines and gaps, but relented and did a halfway job.  One of my regrets is not spending an extra session or two here smoothing these out, since I kept getting pulled back to the "fast" version to tweak things.

Edit:  Work in progress pics HERE:  https://zoxes.blogspot.com/2019/12/hot-of-desk-kingdom-death-gigalion.html

20191207_152629.thumb.jpg.06ee1c4fcd6780c4b2e8c873bed0483f.jpg20191207_152642.thumb.jpg.5be5170dc4f8f6ada6e2a899364bca85.jpg20191207_152556.thumb.jpg.056f43d3405c2ce46849f0a786727924.jpg20191207_152620.thumb.jpg.b0b45151170ef26a761f20317d233892.jpg20191207_152733.thumb.jpg.eee9bfa6f10abcac8ba490acd2c255d1.jpg20191207_152813.thumb.jpg.fba7bb78c3c3d58b9ed896315d88305b.jpg

This is fantastic. I am totally going to rip this off once I get a compressor...hopefully over the holidays. I keep a word doc with your instructions on my desktop to refer back to later. I hope you don't mind...but imitation is the purest form of flattery. 😋

I really dig this style because I use most of my minis for RPGs and having a lot finished quickly is high on my list. Your palette choices are what really make your minis sing for me. It is unusual, dark and creepy, and very evocative. It will work wonderfully in most RPG sessions. I am guessing this is why you use it for KDM as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

Finished the dragon.

image.thumb.png.2c10c53b255bf47c668c0ceb9debda2f.png 

image.png.b8ef8790092f66c3893b65710c6e4ec2.png

Grass looks good. Especially for the scale that this mini is. Compared to the tower and the dragon, the grass would be massed together like you have it. If you, for instance, had more individual 'leaves' it would break the illusion. Nicely done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Konas said:

 

I am guessing this is why you use it for KDM as well.

Thanks so much! I'm interested to see what you come up with!

Yes, that's very much the vibe for KDM! It's a dark, dreamlike world. The grittyness and saturated colors used sparingly seems to help sell it. I can say that testing the color stack up front really helps. (I got cocky with my Freeblades army and I may end up stripping and starting over! 🙃😐😣)

I do monthly 1:1 lessons through miniature monthly. Last month I got feedback on this lion, and Aaron said, "ok, i gotta ask ... why does everyone paint KDM like that??" There's a fairly infamous set of models used in the official store/KS/etc that were painted to look like statues. Those models influenced a lot of painters and greatly influenced me. My specific recipe is something I came up with after some color tests, but that look and feel was initiated by someone with more smarts than me!  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zoxe said:

Thanks so much! I'm interested to see what you come up with!

Yes, that's very much the vibe for KDM! It's a dark, dreamlike world. The grittyness and saturated colors used sparingly seems to help sell it. I can say that testing the color stack up front really helps. (I got cocky with my Freeblades army and I may end up stripping and starting over! 🙃😐😣)

I do monthly 1:1 lessons through miniature monthly. Last month I got feedback on this lion, and Aaron said, "ok, i gotta ask ... why does everyone paint KDM like that??" There's a fairly infamous set of models used in the official store/KS/etc that were painted to look like statues. Those models influenced a lot of painters and greatly influenced me. My specific recipe is something I came up with after some color tests, but that look and feel was initiated by someone with more smarts than me!  

 

Ah, yes, I see it now. I am very excited to try this method with little touches of my own style. I use a lot of washes now, sometimes only using them and dry brushing. Works well and it is quick. It's got to be fairly quick for me for all regular models. 

PS. That thing we discussed earlier via email is a go. Keep it on the DL for now por favor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...