Konas

Miniature Painting

10 hours ago, Zoxe said:

Reapercon is done! There were 996 entries this year, largest to date. Scoring is a little different - you are judged against set criteria and rated across 4 possible scores (none, certificate of merit, bronze, silver, gold). In theory, if all entries earned a gold rating there would be 996 golds given. The criteria are harsh, and the event draws the best of the best with a high concentration of pro painters, streamers, and no kidding masters. 

From there, you can acrually place in specific categories (i.e. best of show), and some mini mfrs give their own first, second, third rankings. 

The Freeblades Polar Bear earned a bronze rating overall. I was shooting for bronze, hoping for silver, so I'm solidly happy with this. As my first reapercon entry, part of this was about getting stuff entered since I didn't start the piece until after gencon.  More exciting: I also earned a 3rd place for the DGS Games manufacturer award, which got me a podium walk in front of 1000 people in the ballroom, and a large cast "challenge coin" medal. There weren't very many DGS entries, but looking at my competition I'm proud to place.

Mrs. Zoxe also earned a bronze for her entries, which is impressive to me because she basically cranked it out over 3 days before we left. 😉

We started our drive home tonight (Sunday) and will spend most of Labor Day in the car.

Um, omfg?! Congrats!!!!!!

10 hours ago, Zoxe said:

Reapercon is done! There were 996 entries this year, largest to date. Scoring is a little different - you are judged against set criteria and rated across 4 possible scores (none, certificate of merit, bronze, silver, gold). In theory, if all entries earned a gold rating there would be 996 golds given. The criteria are harsh, and the event draws the best of the best with a high concentration of pro painters, streamers, and no kidding masters. 

From there, you can acrually place in specific categories (i.e. best of show), and some mini mfrs give their own first, second, third rankings. 

The Freeblades Polar Bear earned a bronze rating overall. I was shooting for bronze, hoping for silver, so I'm solidly happy with this. As my first reapercon entry, part of this was about getting stuff entered since I didn't start the piece until after gencon.  More exciting: I also earned a 3rd place for the DGS Games manufacturer award, which got me a podium walk in front of 1000 people in the ballroom, and a large cast "challenge coin" medal. There weren't very many DGS entries, but looking at my competition I'm proud to place.

Mrs. Zoxe also earned a bronze for her entries, which is impressive to me because she basically cranked it out over 3 days before we left. 😉

We started our drive home tonight (Sunday) and will spend most of Labor Day in the car.

That is so cool. Congrats. You are inspiring me to paint more and, maybe, enter a contest or two....maybe....someday. Congrats to Mrs. Zoxe as well. You are a power painting couple!

I did a little painting last night as well. Finished up my mole man for Monsterpacolypse. Had a lot of fun with him. 

IMG_20190901_203559494.jpg

2 hours ago, Konas said:

That is so cool. Congrats. You are inspiring me to paint more and, maybe, enter a contest or two....maybe....someday. Congrats to Mrs. Zoxe as well. You are a power painting couple!

I did a little painting last night as well. Finished up my mole man for Monsterpacolypse. Had a lot of fun with him. 

IMG_20190901_203559494.jpg

Your  skin color choice makes it. *chefkiss* c'est magnefique! 

20 hours ago, Zoxe said:

Your  skin color choice makes it. *chefkiss* c'est magnefique! 

Thanks. I painted a bright off white base and followed up with only washes. Wanted a sickly feel. I used some technical rusting paint on the metal. I thought it offered a nice contrast to the fleshy skin. Pleased with all of it, especially since it was a lot of experimentation. One thing my MFA taught me, do not be afraid to experiment.

@Konas I finished my Village Attacks Troll! Note: not completly dried.  His only purpose in the game is to cause havoc.  😛  Photo bombs by Jack O. Lantern and Mrs Fisher's sister.

image.png.37c8893d758de90c247bedf2cfe27cb8.png

image.png.d5d6383ee21f5e46015137d592cd82e2.png

image.png.d11906dd9602baebb232c3e2514603eb.png

Last hero (until the expansion smh): Leshy.  The colors are cooler in person.  "LED blue" eyes.  Blue/mother of pearl staff crystal.  The "antlers" turned out really cool.  He was a lot of fun to paint, and felt like nothing after painting the troll.  Only one ordinary trap left for this game.

image.png.8fbdc785ad5189fa73e8b304ce85702f.png  image.png.10648f0b72852118de271878721d8752.png

Edited by Barb Bliss

15 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

@Konas I finished my Village Attacks Troll! Note: not completly dried.  His only purpose in the game is to cause havoc.  😛  Photo bombs by Jack O. Lantern and Mrs Fisher's sister.

image.png.37c8893d758de90c247bedf2cfe27cb8.png

image.png.d5d6383ee21f5e46015137d592cd82e2.png

image.png.d11906dd9602baebb232c3e2514603eb.png

Really nice skin tone on this. In the words of one of my figure painting profs from art school, it is very "fleshy flesh".

16 minutes ago, Konas said:

Really nice skin tone on this. In the words of one of my figure painting profs from art school, it is very "fleshy flesh".

Much better than my first attempt at a lot of skin, that's for sure.

5 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Much better than my first attempt at a lot of skin, that's for sure.

Yes, practice is everything. I always told my students, "I don't believe in talent, only work."

2 minutes ago, Konas said:

Yes, practice is everything. I always told my students, "I don't believe in talent, only work."

Next up is pig flesh.  We'll see...

Okay, finished a bunch of things over the weekend that were in process for a bit. 2 minis from the L5R mini crate, 1 Hordes mini, 1 from the Rising Sun board game, and one Arena Rex model. Pretty pleased.

IMG_20190929_125347247.jpg

IMG_20190929_125355583.jpg

Nice work @Konas.  Amazing what you can get accomplished when you are home sick, uh, dedicate some time to painting.  Yeah.

p.s. You have a much bigger backyard than I do.

p.p.s.  I want the blue chair in your yard!

12 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Nice work @Konas.  Amazing what you can get accomplished when you are home sick, uh, dedicate some time to painting.  Yeah.

p.s. You have a much bigger backyard than I do.

p.p.s.  I want the blue chair in your yard!

Yeah, it is pretty big. Its a lot of grass to cut but I do love the space.

2 minutes ago, Konas said:

Yeah, it is pretty big. Its a lot of grass to cut but I do love the space.

You have flags (or very symmetrical laundry) too!

24 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

You have flags (or very symmetrical laundry) too!

Both of those are true!

I keep wanting to paint then look at the effort to dig out the supplies and minis and think about how I'm lucky to get more then 20mins uninterrupted and just put it off. I need to figure out a way to make it easier to paint.

Just now, marsniper_27 said:

I keep wanting to paint then look at the effort to dig out the supplies and minis and think about how I'm lucky to get more then 20mins uninterrupted and just put it off. I need to figure out a way to make it easier to paint.

Yeah, I am lucky to have a dedicated space that is always read for painting. A lot of days, I'll just walk in, put on one coat and go back to doing whatever else I was doing. Makes it a lot easier.

I never got around to painting anything this summer. I learned to crochet and that has been eating up my spare time that I usually would spend painting.

2 hours ago, marsniper_27 said:

I live alone, sans fish.  So my painting table is smack in the middle of my living room.  No one has complained yet.  Look straight ahead to see the TV.  Turn my head to see the fish.  The only complaint is the lighted magnifying glass cord.  The fish tank area eats up the closes plug.

3 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

I live alone, sans fish.  So my painting table is smack in the middle of my living room.  No one has complained yet.  Look straight ahead to see the TV.  Turn my head to see the fish.  The only complaint is the lighted magnifying glass cord.  The fish tank area eats up the closes plug.

Once the youngest is a bit older (currently 4) it might be easier to leave stuff out for a bit and get longer periods between interruption. Having a dedicated office/hobby space is a requirement for when we buy a house. 

3 hours ago, marsniper_27 said:

Once the youngest is a bit older (currently 4) it might be easier to leave stuff out for a bit and get longer periods between interruption. Having a dedicated office/hobby space is a requirement for when we buy a house. 

I thought about you while I painted my 4 nieces and nephews of the 3 little pigs tonight.  ☺️

On 9/30/2019 at 12:42 PM, Konas said:

Yeah, I am lucky to have a dedicated space that is always read for painting. A lot of days, I'll just walk in, put on one coat and go back to doing whatever else I was doing. Makes it a lot easier.

This summer we converted the spare bedroom office (pc gaming) room to be the hobby room. First time since the early 90s that I don't have a desktop computer setup.  

Our painting setups were on the dining room table. It's a miracle we didn't destroy the table with spilled paint or a stray hobby knife. For almost 3 years we'd tear down our setups when we hosted friends or family. Now it's all contained in a couple of benches in the new room and we can shut the door when company calls. Am thinking of hanging a cheap LCD tv on the wall to stream YouTube on. 

Ps: I'll never buy another house without a basement.