Konas

Miniature Painting

10 hours ago, Zoxe said:

Reapercon is done! There were 996 entries this year, largest to date. Scoring is a little different - you are judged against set criteria and rated across 4 possible scores (none, certificate of merit, bronze, silver, gold). In theory, if all entries earned a gold rating there would be 996 golds given. The criteria are harsh, and the event draws the best of the best with a high concentration of pro painters, streamers, and no kidding masters. 

From there, you can acrually place in specific categories (i.e. best of show), and some mini mfrs give their own first, second, third rankings. 

The Freeblades Polar Bear earned a bronze rating overall. I was shooting for bronze, hoping for silver, so I'm solidly happy with this. As my first reapercon entry, part of this was about getting stuff entered since I didn't start the piece until after gencon.  More exciting: I also earned a 3rd place for the DGS Games manufacturer award, which got me a podium walk in front of 1000 people in the ballroom, and a large cast "challenge coin" medal. There weren't very many DGS entries, but looking at my competition I'm proud to place.

Mrs. Zoxe also earned a bronze for her entries, which is impressive to me because she basically cranked it out over 3 days before we left. 😉

We started our drive home tonight (Sunday) and will spend most of Labor Day in the car.

Um, omfg?! Congrats!!!!!!

10 hours ago, Zoxe said:

Reapercon is done! There were 996 entries this year, largest to date. Scoring is a little different - you are judged against set criteria and rated across 4 possible scores (none, certificate of merit, bronze, silver, gold). In theory, if all entries earned a gold rating there would be 996 golds given. The criteria are harsh, and the event draws the best of the best with a high concentration of pro painters, streamers, and no kidding masters. 

From there, you can acrually place in specific categories (i.e. best of show), and some mini mfrs give their own first, second, third rankings. 

The Freeblades Polar Bear earned a bronze rating overall. I was shooting for bronze, hoping for silver, so I'm solidly happy with this. As my first reapercon entry, part of this was about getting stuff entered since I didn't start the piece until after gencon.  More exciting: I also earned a 3rd place for the DGS Games manufacturer award, which got me a podium walk in front of 1000 people in the ballroom, and a large cast "challenge coin" medal. There weren't very many DGS entries, but looking at my competition I'm proud to place.

Mrs. Zoxe also earned a bronze for her entries, which is impressive to me because she basically cranked it out over 3 days before we left. 😉

We started our drive home tonight (Sunday) and will spend most of Labor Day in the car.

That is so cool. Congrats. You are inspiring me to paint more and, maybe, enter a contest or two....maybe....someday. Congrats to Mrs. Zoxe as well. You are a power painting couple!

I did a little painting last night as well. Finished up my mole man for Monsterpacolypse. Had a lot of fun with him. 

IMG_20190901_203559494.jpg

2 hours ago, Konas said:

That is so cool. Congrats. You are inspiring me to paint more and, maybe, enter a contest or two....maybe....someday. Congrats to Mrs. Zoxe as well. You are a power painting couple!

I did a little painting last night as well. Finished up my mole man for Monsterpacolypse. Had a lot of fun with him. 

IMG_20190901_203559494.jpg

Your  skin color choice makes it. *chefkiss* c'est magnefique! 

20 hours ago, Zoxe said:

Your  skin color choice makes it. *chefkiss* c'est magnefique! 

Thanks. I painted a bright off white base and followed up with only washes. Wanted a sickly feel. I used some technical rusting paint on the metal. I thought it offered a nice contrast to the fleshy skin. Pleased with all of it, especially since it was a lot of experimentation. One thing my MFA taught me, do not be afraid to experiment.