Jump to content
Konas

Miniature Painting

Recommended Posts

I went to paint again today after 5 days and the paint in my home made wet pallet was still wet it is awesome. I really like using them.

 

I spent to much time going back and forth on this dang kroot warrior (I have 14 more to do) but I'm saying he's done I can't waste any more time on this one. He was my test one so I did to much testing on him lol.

20190506_231213.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, marsniper_27 said:

I went to paint again today after 5 days and the paint in my home made wet pallet was still wet it is awesome. I really like using them.

 

I spent to much time going back and forth on this dang kroot warrior (I have 14 more to do) but I'm saying he's done I can't waste any more time on this one. He was my test one so I did to much testing on him lol.

20190506_231213.jpg

Some washes would take this fellow to a new level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Some washes would take this fellow to a new level.

There is some on it it just doesn't show up well in the pic. I made a custom bluegreen wash I used over the whole guy and then used army painter strong down in the deeper recesses as well.

I did notice I didn't do a dry brush over the base to give it some contrast though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, marsniper_27 said:

There is some on it it just doesn't show up well in the pic. I made a custom bluegreen wash I used over the whole guy and then used army painter strong down in the deeper recesses as well.

I did notice I didn't do a dry brush over the base to give it some contrast though.

The base and the leather areas are screaming for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I have been messing around with making some terrain out of polystyrene. Love to hear your thoughts. I really dig it. It feels so much less risky than painting a mini. Its great filler painting.

IMG_20190529_064539372.jpg

IMG_20190529_064542080.jpg

IMG_20190529_064600204.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Konas said:

So, I have been messing around with making some terrain out of polystyrene. Love to hear your thoughts. I really dig it. It feels so much less risky than painting a mini. Its great filler painting.

IMG_20190529_064539372.jpg

IMG_20190529_064542080.jpg

IMG_20190529_064600204.jpg

These are amazing.  I envy all of you who have such skills in painting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2019 at 11:49 PM, marsniper_27 said:

I went to paint again today after 5 days and the paint in my home made wet pallet was still wet it is awesome. I really like using them.

 

I spent to much time going back and forth on this dang kroot warrior (I have 14 more to do) but I'm saying he's done I can't waste any more time on this one. He was my test one so I did to much testing on him lol.

20190506_231213.jpg

This looks great. Nice bold color.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2019 at 12:53 PM, WxCougar said:

Barge turned out to not be too scary to put together. Though painting is an intimidating task. I think I will focus on the dragons first :).

 

20190504_094425.jpg

20190504_094431.jpg

That's awesome. I have that purple worm! He was great fun to paint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Konas said:

So, I have been messing around with making some terrain out of polystyrene. Love to hear your thoughts. I really dig it. It feels so much less risky than painting a mini. Its great filler painting.

IMG_20190529_064539372.jpg

IMG_20190529_064542080.jpg

IMG_20190529_064600204.jpg

I would give you a reaction, but I'm out of reactions. AGAIN!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Konas said:

So, I have been messing around with making some terrain out of polystyrene. Love to hear your thoughts. I really dig it. It feels so much less risky than painting a mini. Its great filler painting.

IMG_20190529_064539372.jpg

IMG_20190529_064542080.jpg

IMG_20190529_064600204.jpg

Looks great, but how rugged is it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

I would give you a reaction, but I'm out of reactions. AGAIN!

Careful....you know how upset @Thomas Browne gets when you say such things sis 😛 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Looks great, but how rugged is it?

Not terribly rugged but not super fragile. I'd say its about as fragile as most minis are, if that makes sense. Treat it with just a reasonable amount of care and it will be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best part is how cheap it is. 6 bucks for a 2 x 2' sheet of this stuff. These are made from cast offs really. I could make another 10 of these. Obviously paint makes it jump up a bit but I use cheap acrylics. I also found that spraying them with rubberized spray paint (I use the stuff for touching up auto underbodies) works really well, toughens them up, and gives them cool texture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Konas said:

The best part is how cheap it is. 6 bucks for a 2 x 2' sheet of this stuff. These are made from cast offs really. I could make another 10 of these. Obviously paint makes it jump up a bit but I use cheap acrylics. I also found that spraying them with rubberized spray paint (I use the stuff for touching up auto underbodies) works really well, toughens them up, and gives them cool texture.

Cool. Maybe if I ever catch up, I'll give this a try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Konas said:

The best part is how cheap it is. 6 bucks for a 2 x 2' sheet of this stuff. These are made from cast offs really. I could make another 10 of these. Obviously paint makes it jump up a bit but I use cheap acrylics. I also found that spraying them with rubberized spray paint (I use the stuff for touching up auto underbodies) works really well, toughens them up, and gives them cool texture.

Terrain looks great. Does the propellent in the rubberized spay paint melt the foam at all? Alot of spray paints will melt it so people coat it in PVA or modge podge first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, marsniper_27 said:

Terrain looks great. Does the propellent in the rubberized spay paint melt the foam at all? Alot of spray paints will melt it so people coat it in PVA or modge podge first.

It doesn't but I did try spraying it with some Final Fixative from my art days. That gave it gorgeous crags. Spray outside and stay far away for an hour or two afterward. You can see the crags on the arch way. I didn't try it on the smaller piece. May do more this weekend if I can find the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Konas said:

It doesn't but I did try spraying it with some Final Fixative from my art days. That gave it gorgeous crags. Spray outside and stay far away for an hour or two afterward. You can see the crags on the arch way. I didn't try it on the smaller piece. May do more this weekend if I can find the time.

All this talk of melting, modge podge, and final fixative is making me really want to try this.  But alas, I won't get out of the yard for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually have done very little terrain with foam mainly due to having almost no space to store the terrain I already have. What I have done is with the scraps of foam left over from my parents reinsulating their house.

 

This is what I am currently working on

https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/1393686/

It's 20mm modern military minis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, marsniper_27 said:

I actually have done very little terrain with foam mainly due to having almost no space to store the terrain I already have. What I have done is with the scraps of foam left over from my parents reinsulating their house.

 

This is what I am currently working on

https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/1393686/

It's 20mm modern military minis.

Really cool!  

 

PS:  We use the same brush cleaner. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, marsniper_27 said:

I actually have done very little terrain with foam mainly due to having almost no space to store the terrain I already have. What I have done is with the scraps of foam left over from my parents reinsulating their house.

 

This is what I am currently working on

https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/1393686/

It's 20mm modern military minis.

That is very cool. How do you make the buildings? Also, how do you see good enough to paint 20mm? 🤗

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Konas said:

That is very cool. How do you make the buildings? Also, how do you see good enough to paint 20mm? 🤗

The building was designed in fusion 360 then 3d printed.

This is my first time doing 20 mm so we will see if I can see good enough lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2019 at 8:07 AM, Konas said:

So, I have been messing around with making some terrain out of polystyrene. Love to hear your thoughts. I really dig it. It feels so much less risky than painting a mini. Its great filler painting.

IMG_20190529_064539372.jpg

IMG_20190529_064542080.jpg

IMG_20190529_064600204.jpg

Your terrain looks great. Perfect for a game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I've been enjoying my summer. And spending a lot of time working on painting minis. Here is some of my work.

a DSC_0456.JPG

This is my most challenging piece to date. It came in five pieces. Its the first miniature I had to glue together. Then I had to buy a special putty to fix the cracks. Then I bought 3 metallic paints to use on it. It's become my "Flame and Joy" piece.

 

a DSC_0474.JPG

My sister gave me the elf for Christmas. I bought the other two pieces. They look like they belong together. 

a DSC_0458.JPG

I love my portal. Can't wait to use it in a RPG secion. 

a DSC_0484.JPG

I worked a long time on this one, putting more and more shades of green on it. The final results is a monster I don't (and do) want to meet inside a game.

Edited by RomyCat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...