Konas

Miniature Painting

19 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

I resisted the wet palette for such a long time. I felt like I had more control thinning on a hard palette and I generally paint colors straight from the bottle (I don't mix shades). I thought the wet palette would just slow me down.

I've found the opposite is true. More control over moisture content means faster setup and less clean up when I'm done. Drop a dot of paint and go. When done, roll up the paper and toss in a bin. 

I don't save paint for days and days, but the ability to paint a bit and come back after dinner and continue is a big deal.

I am still resistant to the wet palette. Mostly due to my canvas painting experience. I watch Lindsey use hers and just think that it actually decreases moisture control by adding some immediately to any pot of paint. But, I realize it is TOTALLY subjective. I just use a piece of acrylic that I have used for years. 

40 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

I resisted the wet palette for such a long time. I felt like I had more control thinning on a hard palette and I generally paint colors straight from the bottle (I don't mix shades). I thought the wet palette would just slow me down.

I've found the opposite is true. More control over moisture content means faster setup and less clean up when I'm done. Drop a dot of paint and go. When done, roll up the paper and toss in a bin. 

I don't save paint for days and days, but the ability to paint a bit and come back after dinner and continue is a big deal.

Exactly.  I may save paint for like one day.. but yeah.. just being able to leave it a few hours (to let a coat dry) is HUGE.

But I get your point about thinning - it definitely takes getting used to  - in terms of accounting for the moisture of the palette when thinning (and how much water to add).

1 hour ago, Zoxe said:

I blend shades all the time, but end up throwing a lot of material away.  I think the hardest part to getting started is the perceived startup pain.  Maybe I should just buy some minis I'm not invested in at all so I have the option of tossing them in the trash if they look like trash.

9 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

I blend shades all the time, but end up throwing a lot of material away.  I think the hardest part to getting started is the perceived startup pain.  Maybe I should just buy some minis I'm not invested in at all so I have the option of tossing them in the trash if they look like trash.

Soaking minis in pinesol strips them of their paint if you mess up. I've only done this with pewter minis so not sure how it works for the other materials. I had one mini I had to soak twice because I kept messing up (pieces of armor I thought were something else until after I was done painting etc).

1 hour ago, Barb Bliss said:

That was actually a bit of my thought both with the reaper kits and with using my Myth minis first (which is what the scorpions are from).  I might not throw them out - but I'm not 'invested' in how they turn out either.

I care less if they don't look great.

It's definitely the KD:M minis that I'll want to do a better job on eventually.

4 hours ago, Thomas Browne said:

That was actually a bit of my thought both with the reaper kits and with using my Myth minis first (which is what the scorpions are from).  I might not throw them out - but I'm not 'invested' in how they turn out either.

I care less if they don't look great.

It's definitely the KD:M minis that I'll want to do a better job on eventually.

I thought those were from myth. I'm hoping that ulisses makes some more stuff for it.

6 hours ago, Thomas Browne said:

Exactly.  I may save paint for like one day.. but yeah.. just being able to leave it a few hours (to let a coat dry) is HUGE.

But I get your point about thinning - it definitely takes getting used to  - in terms of accounting for the moisture of the palette when thinning (and how much water to add).

Yes. I've only used mine for about a year, and at maybe the 6mo mark, I could tell when my palette was too wet or too dry and when I needed to add more water to the sponge.  It's really forgiving, but I felt like I could fine tune it.

7 hours ago, Konas said:

I am still resistant to the wet palette. Mostly due to my canvas painting experience. I watch Lindsey use hers and just think that it actually decreases moisture control by adding some immediately to any pot of paint. But, I realize it is TOTALLY subjective. I just use a piece of acrylic that I have used for years. 

I love seeing/hearing about people's mini-painting setups.  When we take classes, I'm the guy snooping and starting random conversations about people's kits.  Can learn a ton.

In another window, I'm having a discord chat with another hobbyist about a way to remove some tricky flash on a part.  I came to this hobby only fairly recently, but wrenched on R/C cars and boats off and on from the 80s to mid 2000's.  The super easy way that I would deal with the problem (a ball end dremel bit) is new to him, but are common tools/methods for an R/C modeler.  I have some 2-part epoxy on my bench that I'm going to adhere a larger figure to a base; common enough material for scratch building a radio control powerboat but all but unheard of in the mini-world (in favor of superglue).  A common trick for making rattle cans spray a finer mist (for example, when painting lexan r/c car bodies) is to warm the rattle can in a bowl of hot tap water for a few minutes before you spray (wrap it in a towel to dry it off), but I don't think I've ever seen this mentioned for rattle can priming minis.

I'm getting philosophical, but we all have a different background, we're stronger when we leverage it and let it be represented in our work (and not try to hide it).

Not really painting but anyone get the Stygian Barge from Reaper Bones 4? If so, know what pieces go where? I have the big stuff figured out but not so much the little stuff....

7 hours ago, WxCougar said:

Not really painting but anyone get the Stygian Barge from Reaper Bones 4? If so, know what pieces go where? I have the big stuff figured out but not so much the little stuff....

We own one but it's still in the bag. 😣

12 hours ago, Zoxe said:

I love seeing/hearing about people's mini-painting setups.  When we take classes, I'm the guy snooping and starting random conversations about people's kits.  Can learn a ton.

In another window, I'm having a discord chat with another hobbyist about a way to remove some tricky flash on a part.  I came to this hobby only fairly recently, but wrenched on R/C cars and boats off and on from the 80s to mid 2000's.  The super easy way that I would deal with the problem (a ball end dremel bit) is new to him, but are common tools/methods for an R/C modeler.  I have some 2-part epoxy on my bench that I'm going to adhere a larger figure to a base; common enough material for scratch building a radio control powerboat but all but unheard of in the mini-world (in favor of superglue).  A common trick for making rattle cans spray a finer mist (for example, when painting lexan r/c car bodies) is to warm the rattle can in a bowl of hot tap water for a few minutes before you spray (wrap it in a towel to dry it off), but I don't think I've ever seen this mentioned for rattle can priming minis.

I'm getting philosophical, but we all have a different background, we're stronger when we leverage it and let it be represented in our work (and not try to hide it).

This is an interesting thought. I watch Lindsey paint a lot and she learned from practice and watching a ton of mini painting tutorials on you tube and other channels. I paint much like I did when painting on canvas. I am much more 'free wheeling' than her and willing to try anything for an effect. I think it comes from having to create something on a blank white canvas. I also fail a lot and that's quite all right. 

10 hours ago, WxCougar said:

I do not own one and am quite jealous of you at the moment.

15 hours ago, marsniper_27 said:

I thought those were from myth. I'm hoping that ulisses makes some more stuff for it.

Well they have been saying on their facebook page and on the most recent KS update that they DO plan to fulfill the KS (even using their own funds since Mercs spent all of the KS already).  And that they want to continue to produce more for Myth (even mentioning that they'd be doing more Myth KS -- assumedly for the Master level classes).

4 hours ago, Zoxe said:

We own one but it's still in the bag. 😣

I got ambitious (that and we only bought 4 things. Cobra, Rock, Argent and the Barge). I only found one picture of how the anchor attaches but haven't attempted it.

55 minutes ago, Konas said:

I do not own one and am quite jealous of you at the moment.

It is really cool, and really intimidating to put together.

1 hour ago, WxCougar said:

It is really cool, and really intimidating to put together.

Baby steps I guess, but I've never had to put anything together yet.  Including the bases.

10 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Baby steps I guess, but I've never had to put anything together yet.  Including the bases.

This is what I have so far.

20190501_074239.jpg

1 minute ago, WxCougar said:

This is what I have so far.

20190501_074239.jpg

ohohohoh I am so excited to see that come together!

I came home tonight totally wiped out but haven't hobbied since Sunday. I managed to glue this Brimstone Lava Giant to his aftermarket base. He's a pretty big boy. Base didn't work 100% but think I can fix it with some putty.

Not planning a contest entry at all, should be a fun and quick project.

20190501_201818.thumb.jpg.c876c18df6a6fbd74267725e0852e8f3.jpg

11 hours ago, Zoxe said:

I came home tonight totally wiped out but haven't hobbied since Sunday. I managed to glue this Brimstone Lava Giant to his aftermarket base. He's a pretty big boy. Base didn't work 100% but think I can fix it with some putty.

Not planning a contest entry at all, should be a fun and quick project.

20190501_201818.thumb.jpg.c876c18df6a6fbd74267725e0852e8f3.jpg

I like him!  I'm within a week or so of being done with my next mob.

Barge turned out to not be too scary to put together. Though painting is an intimidating task. I think I will focus on the dragons first :).

20190504_094425.jpg

20190504_094431.jpg

Another Village Attacks mob X 8.  I didn't notice the glare on the beard until posting here.  I'm too lazy to go back and get another picture.

image.png.d41f043f298aaeb3242e5c406a542069.png  image.png.ae6a08eda18a5034629ee8bfc6b15f4f.png

8 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Another Village Attacks mob X 8.  I didn't notice the glare on the beard until posting here.  I'm too lazy to go back and get another picture.

image.png.d41f043f298aaeb3242e5c406a542069.png  image.png.ae6a08eda18a5034629ee8bfc6b15f4f.png

Looks great!  Is that axe handle BoRo?  :)

1 minute ago, Zoxe said:

Looks great!  Is that axe handle BoRo?  :)

Kind of looks like Chechen.  😁  Bright yellow base with wood grain on top of it.

3 hours ago, WxCougar said:

Barge turned out to not be too scary to put together. Though painting is an intimidating task. I think I will focus on the dragons first :).

20190504_094425.jpg

20190504_094431.jpg

Wow!  That looks awesome.  

The most recent Brimstone KS has a water-based mode where your Viking Heroes will be fighting off Krakens and Water Sprites and other nasties.  I hope the scales are somewhat similar that I can put our Barge to use.

Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2019 at 11:53 AM, WxCougar said:

20190504_094425.jpg

20190504_094431.jpg

Wow, I wish I had that ship to paint.  I've not done any huge paint jobs yet.

I have not used a wet palette yet. Wished I owned one.  I can see how it can be very useful, especially when I'm only using a drop here and there of my high quality paints. Then the drop drys out before I need it again. I don't like wasting paint, especially my Reaper paints.  I don't feel so many when its the cheap Wal-mart paints. I do base colors with the cheap paint. Then, if I need high quality details, then I move into Reaper paints. 

Edited by RomyCat