Konas

Miniature Painting

3 hours ago, Konas said:

Yeah, I love those washes. The Umber Hulk I painted almost exclusively with washes.

I painted a mini the other day using only washes and the airbrush inks (with a brush). Aside from the inks making it more glossy then I wanted it came out really good.

11 minutes ago, marsniper_27 said:

I painted a mini the other day using only washes and the airbrush inks (with a brush). Aside from the inks making it more glossy then I wanted it came out really good.

This past weekend we did a 2-day boot camp with Sergio Calvo (pro painter).   I've been using more Liquitex Inks through the airbrush.  They produce a satin finish if you need to put them on full coverage, so I've had to be careful not to mess up my surface finish.  I was told this weekend to mix in a small dollup of matte varnish to knock the gloss back.  I haven't tried it yet, but I'm curious to do so.

I also saw firsthand some Vallejo Matte Varnish give a semi-gloss finish.  Owner was really stumped (he kept applying it to knock down some satin and the finish got glossier!)  Sergio recommended trashing the Vallejo (he has had similar issues) and trying some AK Ultra Matte - available on Amazon or at a place called Michigan Toy Soldier.

17 hours ago, Zoxe said:

This past weekend we did a 2-day boot camp with Sergio Calvo (pro painter).   I've been using more Liquitex Inks through the airbrush.  They produce a satin finish if you need to put them on full coverage, so I've had to be careful not to mess up my surface finish.  I was told this weekend to mix in a small dollup of matte varnish to knock the gloss back.  I haven't tried it yet, but I'm curious to do so.

I also saw firsthand some Vallejo Matte Varnish give a semi-gloss finish.  Owner was really stumped (he kept applying it to knock down some satin and the finish got glossier!)  Sergio recommended trashing the Vallejo (he has had similar issues) and trying some AK Ultra Matte - available on Amazon or at a place called Michigan Toy Soldier.

Nice tips. I didn't have any matte anything at the house but did have a satin varnish I sprayed a thin coat of which helped some. I did another with the inks but it was a toad like creature so the gloss looked good on that one.

19 hours ago, Zoxe said:

I've used Matte Vallejo exclusively as the last coat (over a layer of gloss Vallejo), and I've had no issues.  Maybe there is an interaction with something else or the delivery system is the problem.

Material of mini also seems to matter. I had no trouble with my two spray finishes on pewter, but boy did they make the Bones miniatures sticky.  (I am completely spacing out the name of the sprays in general.).  I know I do a last coat of Testor's dullcote for my Bones miniatures based on a suggestion and it stopped the sticky issue. Currently using an Americana shiny coat for my first layers since the other brand ran out.

Some day I may graduate to "real" miniature paints and inks.  But I'm pretty happy with my Apple Barrel for now : ).

48 minutes ago, WxCougar said:

Material of mini also seems to matter. I had no trouble with my two spray finishes on pewter, but boy did they make the Bones miniatures sticky.  (I am completely spacing out the name of the sprays in general.).  I know I do a last coat of Testor's dullcote for my Bones miniatures based on a suggestion and it stopped the sticky issue. Currently using an Americana shiny coat for my first layers since the other brand ran out.

Some day I may graduate to "real" miniature paints and inks.  But I'm pretty happy with my Apple Barrel for now : ).

Bones doesn't like aerosol (rattle can) paints or primers. The solvent in the aerosol makes it into a giant gummy bear. 😉

3 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

Bones doesn't like aerosol (rattle can) paints or primers. The solvent in the aerosol makes it into a giant gummy bear. 😉

I can't tell you how unhappy I was when I did a bunch of dungeon dressings that turned out really good only to have the paint pop off because the spray coats were so tacky. Moral of the story is to make sure your coffin lid won't stick to the base before you put it on the base ;).  I did a few touch ups but after hitting it with a Testor's Dullcote, they stopped being tacky.

1 hour ago, Barb Bliss said:

I've used Matte Vallejo exclusively as the last coat (over a layer of gloss Vallejo), and I've had no issues.  Maybe there is an interaction with something else or the delivery system is the problem.

Yah, not sure. It looked like an older bottle. I wasn't watching him to see if he shook it up. Lots of variables. I'm on my 2nd bottle of Vallejo matte varnish and mines been fine.

That being said, they were passing the AK super matte around the class and it went down super smooth and the result looked crisp, yet matte ... not just dull.  Hard to be excited about a varnish but I was impressed by it. I'll get a bottle when I finish my Vallejo

42 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

Yah, not sure. It looked like an older bottle. I wasn't watching him to see if he shook it up. Lots of variables. I'm on my 2nd bottle of Vallejo matte varnish and mines been fine.

That being said, they were passing the AK super matte around the class and it went down super smooth and the result looked crisp, yet matte ... not just dull.  Hard to be excited about a varnish but I was impressed by it. I'll get a bottle when I finish my Vallejo

Looks expensive.   Especially with shipping.  Or is there a way to buy them over here.

20 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Looks expensive.   Especially with shipping.  Or is there a way to buy them over here.

Agree. I haven't researched yet, am hoping to find a smaller bottle. The bottle I saw was pretty big.

1 minute ago, Zoxe said:

Agree. I haven't researched yet, am hoping to find a smaller bottle. The bottle I saw was pretty big.

Let me know what you find.  🙂

On 4/20/2019 at 12:22 AM, egyptianruin said:

Here is my mimic and our characters (Battle Chef and a Drow Rave Rogue) Just bought a screen for my husband for his birthday gift.

32649782_10156586462849575_8614326415648

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1otVGSFXsThdEd7BzeU_CRwYGotvsoooV/view?usp=sharing

Great work. These look fantastic. Love the Chef especially, very cool mini.

On 4/19/2019 at 2:48 PM, WxCougar said:

I can't tell you how unhappy I was when I did a bunch of dungeon dressings that turned out really good only to have the paint pop off because the spray coats were so tacky. Moral of the story is to make sure your coffin lid won't stick to the base before you put it on the base ;).  I did a few touch ups but after hitting it with a Testor's Dullcote, they stopped being tacky.

I use good ole Rust Oleum Matte finish on all my minis and have been for a while, even Bones without a problem. It's like 4 bucks at Meijer. Works like a charm.

The newest Bones minis delivered on Saturday. As if we didn't have enough minis to paint! 

1 hour ago, Konas said:

I use good ole Rust Oleum Matte finish on all my minis and have been for a while, even Bones without a problem. It's like 4 bucks at Meijer. Works like a charm.

What's funny is I think it was the Rustoleum I had issues with. It was that or Krylon (I can't remember since its been awhile and I used up the Rustoleum on the painted gourds).

1 minute ago, WxCougar said:

My bones minis will be here Thursday after we have left. Our cat sitter will be grabbing them for me.

Woo hoo! You getting excited for the visit? 

Ok - so haven't put any sealer on these yet.. but my first attempts at painting minis in probably over 30 years --

From the Reaper "skills" kit:  I like how these turned out for the most part.. a few mistakes.. and definitely need to develop a steadier hand/better process to have a steady touch.

IMG_20190425_152147516.thumb.jpg.e3014857dca7e3ae5b7b0a4bd22d1684.jpg

Then tried using some of the techniques from that on some minis I had started prior to getting the kit.  Definitely improved them, but I had gone a little too far for the stuff to be entirely effective.  Still I think it definitely helped/taught me a few things.

IMG_20190425_152217940.thumb.jpg.5bad3e832329770463e1e72626e82857.jpg

3 hours ago, Thomas Browne said:

Ok - so haven't put any sealer on these yet.. but my first attempts at painting minis in probably over 30 years --

From the Reaper "skills" kit:  I like how these turned out for the most part.. a few mistakes.. and definitely need to develop a steadier hand/better process to have a steady touch.

IMG_20190425_152147516.thumb.jpg.e3014857dca7e3ae5b7b0a4bd22d1684.jpg

Then tried using some of the techniques from that on some minis I had started prior to getting the kit.  Definitely improved them, but I had gone a little too far for the stuff to be entirely effective.  Still I think it definitely helped/taught me a few things.

IMG_20190425_152217940.thumb.jpg.5bad3e832329770463e1e72626e82857.jpg

Well done!

Welcome to the dark side.  (It's okay, we have cookies).

45 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

Well done!

Oh - I've been on the dark side for a VERY VERY long time :D

I love cookies!

giphy.gif

46 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

Well done!

Now I just need to wait for my HB55 airbrush to show up :D