Konas

Miniature Painting

@Blinkus Maximus That is some excellent work. The greens and golds really pop.  

@Barb Bliss I didn't back Massive Darkness and am still regretting it somewhat.  On the other hand, I also haven't cracked gloomhaven yet, and also have the Broken Token organizer to assemble (Santa brought it). 

Work this week was pretty nuts, and ended with the emotional cycle of being asked to interview for a promotion only to have the interview delayed due to the winter weather that rolled through this morning.  I've kind of just come home and collapsed all week.

That being said, the reason I'm here is for an incremental update on the demon chicken.  I had to prime him in sections (underbits first, then wings), and then finally did my color stack with the airbrush to shade him on Monday.  The wash step is next, and that will dull the colors considerably, but I'll bring them back up in the areas that should be bright.  Tonight I painted his talons, fingernails, and beak. Tomorrow I hope to do the wash.  The top surfaces of his wings and back will be warm colors but I'll use the normal grays/blues underwing to tie him to my other bosses.

IMG_20180112_182950.jpg

IMG_20180112_182857.jpg

IMG_20180112_182915.jpg

IMG_20180112_182928.jpg

Edited by Zoxe

That is a lot of detail on that bird. I'm sure your finial version will be awesome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RomyCat said:

That is a lot of detail on that bird. I'm sure your finial version will be awesome.

Yes, I'll admit to being intimidated by this model as it's so huge and the amount of detail is pretty overwhelming.  But, it's coming together. Very slowly, but it's coming together.  I got the washes applied (2 of them) tonight.  Once dry I'll have to check for spots that I missed and then the fun can begin - color!

I'm super glad that I picked up a 1/2 inch flat brush at Hobby Lobby this summer.  Moving quickly while applying the wash was important to avoid lines, and the brush I found randomly picked up a decent amount of wash while still allowing me to control the amount going down. Was the perfect balance between speed and control. 

• Like 1

KDM Phoenix is done!  I still need to varnish him and glue the base tray, but I put down the paintbrush this morning.

He turned out about how I pictured him.  I maybe wanted more variation from one end of a feather to another, but opted to dial it back and do what looked right from across the room.

I didn't want a vibrant "rainbow chicken" and wanted to stay consistent with the rest of my KDM Core Box, so the colors are still dark.  But I did very much depart from the grays/blues/metallics I was using for the rest of the bosses.  I'll be posting my write-up later this week to my blog, but got some pictures taken this afternoon.

One of the surprises is how "directional" the colors are.  From the front, most of the black is masked, but as you turn the model, different shades are apparent.

IMG_20180115_150458.jpg

IMG_20180115_150625.jpg

IMG_20180115_150718.jpg

IMG_20180115_151731.jpg

IMG_20180115_150552.jpg

Edited by Zoxe
  • Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:29 AM, Barb Bliss said:

Hey, I'm an extremely left brained engineer winging it after watching some youtube videos and getting tips here.  I would like to see how gourd you could do.

Barb, did you make it home safe?

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 4:24 PM, Zoxe said:

KDM Phoenix is done!  I still need to varnish him and glue the base tray, but I put down the paintbrush this morning.

He turned out about how I pictured him.  I maybe wanted more variation from one end of a feather to another, but opted to dial it back and do what looked right from across the room.

I didn't want a vibrant "rainbow chicken" and wanted to stay consistent with the rest of my KDM Core Box, so the colors are still dark.  But I did very much depart from the grays/blues/metallics I was using for the rest of the bosses.  I'll be posting my write-up later this week to my blog, but got some pictures taken this afternoon.

One of the surprises is how "directional" the colors are.  From the front, most of the black is masked, but as you turn the model, different shades are apparent.

IMG_20180115_150458.jpg

IMG_20180115_150625.jpg

IMG_20180115_150718.jpg

IMG_20180115_151731.jpg

IMG_20180115_150552.jpg

These are fantastic!!!!

7 minutes ago, Konas said:

Barb, did you make it home safe?

Depends on your definition!  We got to the Michigan border town of New Buffalo on Saturday evening.  Good news, we found a pub right by the lake called the "Stray Dog Inn".  We had some drinks, peel and eat shrimp, and then after another drink, dinner.  The food and drink was great, the vibe was great.  You'd like it.  Bad news, I think I either got food poisoning or picked up a stomach flu that night.  The following day we made it the rest of the way home uneventfully except for my upset stomach, and about the last 100 miles of road had snow on it.  The following day, I descended into Hell.  Luckily I had that day as a bank holiday.  I missed the next two days of work, and basically sleeping or worse.  Yesterday I was at about 60%, so I worked.  I hope to be back to eating real food by Sunday.  Any attempts to deviate from water, bananas, or toast so far have not fared well.  On the plus side, I caught up with my sleep, and had a cup of coffee this morning.  On the downside, my house looks like a billy goat's stomach.

47 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Depends on your definition!  We got to the Michigan border town of New Buffalo on Saturday evening.  Good news, we found a pub right by the lake called the "Stray Dog Inn".  We had some drinks, peel and eat shrimp, and then after another drink, dinner.  The food and drink was great, the vibe was great.  You'd like it.  Bad news, I think I either got food poisoning or picked up a stomach flu that night.  The following day we made it the rest of the way home uneventfully except for my upset stomach, and about the last 100 miles of road had snow on it.  The following day, I descended into Hell.  Luckily I had that day as a bank holiday.  I missed the next two days of work, and basically sleeping or worse.  Yesterday I was at about 60%, so I worked.  I hope to be back to eating real food by Sunday.  Any attempts to deviate from water, bananas, or toast so far have not fared well.  On the plus side, I caught up with my sleep, and had a cup of coffee this morning.  On the downside, my house looks like a billy goat's stomach.

Sucks. Get well soon.

Thanks for visiting. It was great to put a face to the name. Hope the trip was worth the illness, especially with the loss at MSU

17 minutes ago, Konas said:

Sucks. Get well soon.

Thanks for visiting. It was great to put a face to the name. Hope the trip was worth the illness, especially with the loss at MSU

It was worth it, but a lot of driving in a relatively short amount of time.  After decades of making that drive alone, it was nice to have Drew for company.

Troglodytes guarding my new prototype padauk  dice tower.  I need better eyes/touch or I need a better brush to do the eyes on these little minis...

image.png.938341ea9fbc1d87a4643f310c4e43aa.pngimage.thumb.png.21529650aedb1ff6899fcfc11a21f6a9.png

• Like 2

I followed the art suggestions on the monster card, but as I was painting this guy, I figured it would be a crime not to mardi gras him.

image.png.0ea87755f6b9633048e7ceac37cee6d4.png

image.thumb.png.9a607f614c86161a19cdf65aed2a1ad6.png

• Like 2

Sorry to hear you were sick, Barb. Your figures look cool. 

Zoxe, you bird looks awesome.

17 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

I followed the art suggestions on the monster card, but as I was painting this guy, I figured it would be a crime not to mardi gras him.

image.png.0ea87755f6b9633048e7ceac37cee6d4.png

image.thumb.png.9a607f614c86161a19cdf65aed2a1ad6.png

That looks great! I hear you on the "need for fresh eyeballs". Let's just say that I like to paint the bigger models...

Flesh golem:

image.png.804f47e91c4185dda419e4dcd51caf59.pngimage.thumb.png.9e16e176a45a83293857d6bd214dbb30.png

Graz & Prug

Ugh.  Didn't realize I missed the nose ring until I'm taking pictures!  Don't suppose you can add it after varnishing, and have it come out ok...

image.png.f6ca6beea20664dec8c625e6452ac01f.pngimage.png.287415a45b6067cf27b005ffb607d57c.png      image.thumb.png.619977c326d8f400a04bd0fe65dbcc60.png

• Like 2

@Barb Bliss That stuff is all looking great. On the eyes, it really just takes practice. Endless practice. And still having to go back and redo them all the time no matter how much you practice because doing eyes is easily top 3 hardest things to do on minis. It's the reason most people painting gaming pieces just don't paint them at all. A smaller brush definitely helps (just not too small, as discussed in Meg's tutorial below), but really it's just neverending practice. If you want to work on them, there are a few methods to go for, depending on what works for you. Just getting started on eyes, it's a safe idea to stop after putting the black in for the pupil until you feel comfortable adding another step (and another chance to make a mistake and have to start over).

Meg's 6 Step Eyes: http://www.arcanepaintworks.com/blog-1/2016/6/9/6-step-eyes

Marike's Eyes: http://www.destroyerminis.com/paintingeyes/

And on painting that nose ring after varnish, you absolutely can. Varnish is basically a clear-coat primer, so it'll grab and hold paint very well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blinkus Maximus said:

@Barb Bliss That stuff is all looking great. On the eyes, it really just takes practice. Endless practice. And still having to go back and redo them all the time no matter how much you practice because doing eyes is easily top 3 hardest things to do on minis. It's the reason most people painting gaming pieces just don't paint them at all. A smaller brush definitely helps (just not too small, as discussed in Meg's tutorial below), but really it's just neverending practice. If you want to work on them, there are a few methods to go for, depending on what works for you. Just getting started on eyes, it's a safe idea to stop after putting the black in for the pupil until you feel comfortable adding another step (and another chance to make a mistake and have to start over).

Meg's 6 Step Eyes: http://www.arcanepaintworks.com/blog-1/2016/6/9/6-step-eyes

Marike's Eyes: http://www.destroyerminis.com/paintingeyes/

And on painting that nose ring after varnish, you absolutely can. Varnish is basically a clear-coat primer, so it'll grab and hold paint very well.

Good to know about the nose ring.  That would have been one of those things that no one but me would notice, and it would bug me every time.  The curse of being a painter's daughter.

More painting got done.  Not sure what happened, but the mat coat got kind of foamy.  Most of it cleared up, but some stayed.  Anyone know why or how to keep it from happening in the future?

1) orc mob enforcer times 2

image.thumb.png.f957ec62dff3de20fcc2618edaa620c5.png

image.thumb.png.25d73e4b0e5c683811abbf180459c424.png

2) Orc Flayer times 12  Note: my awesome new "hobby holder" KS tool

image.png.5d9c502ef12632bd6e6fd29b898220ba.pngimage.thumb.png.5afb223baf772f75feb82b15150c1ad8.png

3) Orc flayer boss times 2 (not my best camera work, but it was well past my bedtime...

image.thumb.png.71909efc3e0e21cc3953261201936e32.pngimage.png.c94c9c59d07a66d7b441a229d44a2b19.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

More painting got done.  Not sure what happened, but the mat coat got kind of foamy.  Most of it cleared up, but some stayed.  Anyone know why or how to keep it from happening in the future?

What are you using for the matte coat?  Basically any time I've had a clear coat get cloudy or something like that it's because I haven't mixed it well enough / let it settle and separate in the process.

How are you liking the hobby holder?  I haven't gotten to try mine yet as I'm trying to finish up putting KD:M together before I get back to painting.

3 minutes ago, Thomas Browne said:

What are you using for the matte coat?  Basically any time I've had a clear coat get cloudy or something like that it's because I haven't mixed it well enough / let it settle and separate in the process.

How are you liking the hobby holder?  I haven't gotten to try mine yet as I'm trying to finish up putting KD:M together before I get back to painting.

One of those Vallejo squeeze bottles.  I did shake the bottle, but it's near the bottom of the bottle, so maybe I got more of one  half than the other.

I like it, but the bigger minis don't spin well as the arms (both kinds) can get in the way.

1 minute ago, Barb Bliss said:

One of those Vallejo squeeze bottles.  I did shake the bottle, but it's near the bottom of the bottle, so maybe I got more of one  half than the other.

I like it, but the bigger minis don't spin well as the arms (both kinds) can get in the way.

Yeah I can see that.. that's why I was thinking of using the handle upside down.  But then you can't just put it down when you're finished.

I'll definitely be trying mine out, but I'll have to see how it goes.

Do people still want to see the new ones I complete?  There doesn't appear to be much interest, and it takes time to take/post the pictures.  If people are interested, I'll keep posting them, but if not, I won't.

• Like 1