Konas

Miniature Painting

On 12/18/2017 at 10:55 AM, Thomas Browne said:

I like the way your KD:M set is looking.

I admit that I'm only putting my KD:M pieces together now, and it surprises me how the most popular painting schemes seem to be monochromatic/stylistic, rather than realistic.  Especially given the painting contest/pro painting that I've seen done.

I admit I've been nervous about painting the figures because I wasn't sure I could do a decent 'realistic' job on them, but now I'm not sure that's worth the effort.  I really like the stylistic look, and I think it's probably simpler for a newbie like me. 

So far, it's working well.  :)

I can't speak for everyone but I do agree that there are quite a few guys getting a similar level of detail.  There are a few variations - some guys do a color primer and then wash and extensive dry brush.  Others pursue a harsher point-source lighting scheme on mostly black models with a larger/orange-er lantern glow.  There is the more "statue" look that the officially commissioned models used in the Kickstarter graphics use.   i grabbed bits of of these techniques and am adding and subtracting as I go.

The overall simplicity is what pushed me towards this process.  There are several hundred models in my pledge (I'm a very heavy backer) and given the $$ involved I wanted to be happy with the result when I was done (vs. spending a lot of money AND a lot more time and then have a result that's limited by my ability).  This style is not only faster, it's a little harder for me to screw up (although I've had some close calls).  

I will note, though, that I'm spending far more time than normal on model prep.  The higher detail in the KDM models makes even small gaps and mold lines stand out, where oddly on less detailed models these imperfections blend in a little better.

18 hours ago, Zoxe said:

So far, it's working well.  :)

I can't speak for everyone but I do agree that there are quite a few guys getting a similar level of detail.  There are a few variations - some guys do a color primer and then wash and extensive dry brush.  Others pursue a harsher point-source lighting scheme on mostly black models with a larger/orange-er lantern glow.  There is the more "statue" look that the officially commissioned models used in the Kickstarter graphics use.   i grabbed bits of of these techniques and am adding and subtracting as I go.

The overall simplicity is what pushed me towards this process.  There are several hundred models in my pledge (I'm a very heavy backer) and given the $$ involved I wanted to be happy with the result when I was done (vs. spending a lot of money AND a lot more time and then have a result that's limited by my ability).  This style is not only faster, it's a little harder for me to screw up (although I've had some close calls).  

I will note, though, that I'm spending far more time than normal on model prep.  The higher detail in the KDM models makes even small gaps and mold lines stand out, where oddly on less detailed models these imperfections blend in a little better.

I get it - I'm "all in" on KD:M as well, and I've definitely had concerns about 'doing the minis justice'.

I don't have an airbrush, I'll be working by hand, but I think the more statue/monochrome look is going to be what I go with for reasons similar to yours (mix of time and simplicity).

Interesting to note on the model prep - hadn't thought about that.  I definitely have some gaps to fill in on the lion (known issues apparently - although the tail was worse for me than the face).  I do have putty and green stuff though that I was going to use for that.  Hadn't thought about looking at the other small lines that I do see though.

I'm really upset at myself though as I dropped one of the small pieces of the Butcher (shoulder piece) and can't find the stupid thing.  I'm still hoping it will turn up.

1 hour ago, Thomas Browne said:

I'm really upset at myself though as I dropped one of the small pieces of the Butcher (shoulder piece) and can't find the stupid thing.  I'm still hoping it will turn up.

This is my personal nightmare every time I assemble a new mini. It's part of the reason I build all of my models on a table with a lip and keep a flashlight and tweezers on the table to search for dropped pieces immediately.

6 hours ago, Thomas Browne said:

I get it - I'm "all in" on KD:M as well, and I've definitely had concerns about 'doing the minis justice'.

I don't have an airbrush, I'll be working by hand, but I think the more statue/monochrome look is going to be what I go with for reasons similar to yours (mix of time and simplicity).

Interesting to note on the model prep - hadn't thought about that.  I definitely have some gaps to fill in on the lion (known issues apparently - although the tail was worse for me than the face).  I do have putty and green stuff though that I was going to use for that.  Hadn't thought about looking at the other small lines that I do see though.

Here's some summary notes from my (flawed) memory.

Monsters:

Lion:  Yes, he has some infamous issues around the face, "hips" and tail.  I also had some weird offsets in the ankle joints where you glue his feet on.  I could have spent a lot more time filling him.  It's probably unfortunate that most everyone starts with this model.  If I built him today I would approach him differently.

Screaming Antelope went together well. I did nearly zero filling, but his right ear seems to give everyone fits and requires a lot of trimming.  I needed a small ball of Vallejo Plastic Putty to fill in a void I made while trimming the ear, but the result was okay. I could have spent more time filling the seam down the middle of his face.

I closed the gaps on the Hand, the King's Man and the Butcher with careful gluing and didn't do much filling.  I dry fit everything and did a lot of shaving and trimming of mating surfaces (in particular the Butcher's arms).  These models are where I really started to pay more attention to prep and mold line removal.

Gold Smoke Knight - Most extensive filling of the core box so far.  Tons of trimming just to minimize some very awful gaps at the neck and arms.  This ramble of a post talks about how I modified the build order to get his chest plate to sit flush, but at the cost of having his left arm require borderline modification to fit. I actually paused him until I could procure some Milliput to fill the resulting gaps.  I just shot him with primer and I'm happy with how the filled areas look.

I haven't assembled the Phoenix or The Watcher yet - the Phoenix has a lot of seams in his body that I'm fearful about.

Survivors:

Starting Survivors - I could have done more work on them, but they went together well.  

Old Joe and Young Rachel - Joe has an unfortunate sprue gate in the center of his bald head.  I trimmed and shaped it, and still required some cleanup work with Vallejo Matt Varnish to blend it.  Rachel is the most challenging build from a parts count (and small parts!) and benefits from careful parts prep.  Some guys are reporting bad gaps on her but mine went together fine.

I haven't assembled any of the other armors or the Intimacy pair yet.

7 hours ago, Blinkus Maximus said:

This is my personal nightmare every time I assemble a new mini. It's part of the reason I build all of my models on a table with a lip and keep a flashlight and tweezers on the table to search for dropped pieces immediately.

Haven't thought of the flashlight - I wish I had a table with a lip to help with it, but it wouldn't have mattered in this case because the piece went up in the air from the tweezers :(

5a3d7b360b4c3_aDSC_0028crop.thumb.jpg.5dcdf1077668b5719abbcdd068362ec6.jpg

I have been working on painting my first "live" minis. For our first few Parthfinder meet-ups, we used random minis for our characters that happened to be within reach,  leading to confusion about who was who since the minis did not actually match our characters. So I searched online far and near, seeking proper miniatures for our characters. I bought two prepainted miniatures for our halfling barbarian and gnome cleric (not features here).  For the rest of our characters, I painted our miniatures.

Starting from the far left is the half-elf bard. Next, are two versions of our half-elf rogue (one miniature for lower levels, the other for for higher).  My sister plays the tiefling warrior.  My character is a human druid. Like the rogue, there are two versions of the druid for different levels. Last is my familiar, a large cat. 

I know these paintings are flawed. More work especially could have been done on the faces. After working on and off for several weeks on them, I finally reached a point where I decided I needed playable minis, not perfect minis. So I applied the sealer and we began using them in our Pathfinder game. Now we can easily tell who is who.

5a3d7dbd76c09_aDSC_0032.thumb.JPG.8e355a9f7f207e666d84420099c492d4.JPG5a3d7dc8adc80_aDSC_0034crop.jpg.c2ffd4c18c9786ecd0347a63678da2c4.jpg5a3d7da67139a_aDSC_0040crop.thumb.jpg.b0bd3c759408ad8d7518f13971f53c86.jpg

• Like 5

I spent some time today playing with an alternate camera app for my android and finally uploaded the painting log for 2 more KDM figures here and a few more pics of the Butcher.

I've also finished the Gold Smoke Knight and will give you guys a preview.  The GSK post will go up maybe on Monday.

IMG_20171223_142035.jpg

IMG_20171223_141704.jpg

IMG_20171223_142324.jpg

IMG_20171223_143053.jpg

• Like 2

Last minis until after Christmas.  I'm getting better with flesh...  Note: Dantonio photo bombed like crazy...

image.thumb.png.0cf5609b4d74f2ee7a01524922cf11a4.png

image.thumb.png.2881d66730858d5a5e1bce0f5ba269fa.png

First attempt at corroded/bloody swords

image.thumb.png.af35cc95088cea4acfba765f9583b7b2.png

image.thumb.png.d8c45785ab10051940815894a445e100.png

Last agent:

image.png.633f101af61111b970b787b78f775ed5.png

image.png.e17229da096c78a5e6526fc865f3c83d.png

• Like 1

On 12/22/2017 at 3:49 PM, RomyCat said:

5a3d7b360b4c3_aDSC_0028crop.thumb.jpg.5dcdf1077668b5719abbcdd068362ec6.jpg

I have been working on painting my first "live" minis. For our first few Parthfinder meet-ups, we used random minis for our characters that happened to be within reach,  leading to confusion about who was who since the minis did not actually match our characters. So I searched online far and near, seeking proper miniatures for our characters. I bought two prepainted miniatures for our halfling barbarian and gnome cleric (not features here).  For the rest of our characters, I painted our miniatures.

Starting from the far left is the half-elf bard. Next, are two versions of our half-elf rogue (one miniature for lower levels, the other for for higher).  My sister plays the tiefling warrior.  My character is a human druid. Like the rogue, there are two versions of the druid for different levels. Last is my familiar, a large cat. 

I know these paintings are flawed. More work especially could have been done on the faces. After working on and off for several weeks on them, I finally reached a point where I decided I needed playable minis, not perfect minis. So I applied the sealer and we began using them in our Pathfinder game. Now we can easily tell who is who.

5a3d7dbd76c09_aDSC_0032.thumb.JPG.8e355a9f7f207e666d84420099c492d4.JPG5a3d7dc8adc80_aDSC_0034crop.jpg.c2ffd4c18c9786ecd0347a63678da2c4.jpg5a3d7da67139a_aDSC_0040crop.thumb.jpg.b0bd3c759408ad8d7518f13971f53c86.jpg

I love her knee pads!

• Like 1

Barb and Zoxe, your minis are looking awesome. With more practice, mine may someday look that good. I got more minis in today: beds, cauldrons, and shelves. I feel more confident with minis that are items instead of living creatures. Still it takes practice to get better. Good thing I enjoy the practice. 

For my sister I am painting some 3D city hexes for Terraforming Mars which were given to her as a gift.

Edited by RomyCat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finally got to get back to painting over the long weekend. Looking forward to getting some pics up here soon. Right now I'm working on some Arena Rex minis and some of my Bones 3 Kickstarter stuff for a D&D game. 

Happy New Year everyone.

What is everyone working on in January? 

I'm still trying to finish up the KDM core box - getting close now at just 2 bosses and 2 more heroes remaining (at least of the parts I intend to assemble right now).  One boss (Phoenix) is ready for primer, and the other is perhaps 2/3 assembled after several short sessions yesterday.

Here's a WIP shot of the Phoenix, aka the demon chicken.  He's a big boy, almost too big for the light box to take pictures (will get one with a mini later for a sense of scale).  Some of the most extensive filling work I've ever attempted; I'm nervous to see how it looks once primer is on it.

5a4a3983ace8b_IMG_20171231_133640-Copy.thumb.jpg.5b408d9084d811bfd1270280e0cad94a.jpg

• Like 1

When the temp doesn't get above -5 for days, you can get some painting done.  Does the first guy make you want to buy a DMG hammer???

image.png.d9dbcdb26d37e9ebdadad0f1d290b632.pngimage.thumb.png.fe50e270683255a1dcd588ba91b09107.png

image.png.a3397ba0c0b1994ce0cf79562cdbb251.png

image.png.32089a9336df3e10fb99a956e6c90840.pngimage.png.231d272af6ef69327de53860abd2f263.pngimage.png.123e2c042b45f4b78d5381233579c2b9.png

image.thumb.png.6d22015a5d1ebdc90b71da8ffeccd10c.png

image.thumb.png.2f98a8daa606aadfd5e4b9027b3d15a7.png

• Like 1

@Zoxe Ohhh! I'm diggin' big boy demon chicken.

@Barb Bliss Hah! I love both that bumpy green mini and your comment.

One of my poor puppos wouldn't go potty the other night because it was so cold (-5F here the other night, too). It's been ruff, so to speak. ;)

• Haha 1

Merry New Year everyone! I too have finally gotten back to painting after a slump of no motivation. Luckily, new minis being announced all over have gotten me excited to return and get my skills back up to snuff before they hit the painting table, so I've actually finished things. And the cold nights over the weekend made for nights in with tea and paint. It hasn't been -5, just a balmy 15, but the wife isn't a huge fan of anything under 40 so we had a nice weekend in with crafts and games.

@Barb Bliss Love seeing your new stuff. I can definitely see improvement with each update, especially on skin! It's looking better with every mini! Keep up the excellent work.

@Zoxe I've started dipping into my backlog of unpainted Warhammer minis to finish up half-complete paintjobs and stuff that I bought 2 years ago and didn't even prime :/ I'll probably take a break here and there to do some of my stuff from Hordes and random things I bought to put on a display shelf though. I definitely have more than enough plastic/resin/metal to keep me occupied for the rest of the year, and much more coming from Kickstarter in the spring (I have a problem...)

This weekend I did up this guy, a Tzaangor Shaman from Games Workshop. Not too happy with the tabard, so I'll probably go back and redo it at some point, but for now it looks pretty good in the case. It also needs some touch-ups on the horns.

20171231_163127~2.jpg

20171231_163245~2.jpg

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Zoe said:

@Zoxe Ohhh! I'm diggin' big boy demon chicken.

@Barb Bliss Hah! I love both that bumpy green mini and your comment.

One of my poor puppos wouldn't go potty the other night because it was so cold (-5F here the other night, too). It's been ruff, so to speak. ;)

It's been super cold here.  Your -5F the other night is the warmest Minnesota has seen for over 3 days.  Going out on New Year's Eve doesn't have much of a pull when it's -17F.

25 minutes ago, Blinkus Maximus said:

Merry New Year everyone! I too have finally gotten back to painting after a slump of no motivation. Luckily, new minis being announced all over have gotten me excited to return and get my skills back up to snuff before they hit the painting table, so I've actually finished things. And the cold nights over the weekend made for nights in with tea and paint. It hasn't been -5, just a balmy 15, but the wife isn't a huge fan of anything under 40 so we had a nice weekend in with crafts and games.

@Barb Bliss Love seeing your new stuff. I can definitely see improvement with each update, especially on skin! It's looking better with every mini! Keep up the excellent work.

@Zoxe I've started dipping into my backlog of unpainted Warhammer minis to finish up half-complete paintjobs and stuff that I bought 2 years ago and didn't even prime :/ I'll probably take a break here and there to do some of my stuff from Hordes and random things I bought to put on a display shelf though. I definitely have more than enough plastic/resin/metal to keep me occupied for the rest of the year, and much more coming from Kickstarter in the spring (I have a problem...)

This weekend I did up this guy, a Tzaangor Shaman from Games Workshop. Not too happy with the tabard, so I'll probably go back and redo it at some point, but for now it looks pretty good in the case. It also needs some touch-ups on the horns.

20171231_163127~2.jpg

20171231_163245~2.jpg

Thanks.  I'd like to redo that first ogre, but that will never happen.  I'm about half way through Massive Darkness mini now.  Gloomhaven hasn't gotten cracked open yet (no one available to play yet), Darkness Sabotage is due soon, then Village Attacks and World of SMOG and Monster Slaughter and a couple other smaller number of mini games coming this year.  Now I wonder if I'll get them all painted before I die of old age!

Your Tzaangor Shaman is awesome!

@Barb Bliss Eesh! I would have thought it'd be colder here! I don't envy you (and neither do my dogs).

@Blinkus Maximus HOLY MOLEY. I thought that was a painting before I scrolled down and saw the shadows! That's fantastic!!!

Just now, Zoe said:

@Barb Bliss Eesh! I would have thought it'd be colder here! I don't envy you (and neither do my dogs).

@Blinkus Maximus HOLY MOLEY. I thought that was a painting before I scrolled down and saw the shadows! That's fantastic!!!

The lakes keep Michigan more moderate.  And cloudy.  The clouds keep the heat in.

Posted (edited)
On 1/1/2018 at 7:38 AM, Zoxe said:

Happy New Year everyone.

What is everyone working on in January? 

I'm still trying to finish up the KDM core box - getting close now at just 2 bosses and 2 more heroes remaining (at least of the parts I intend to assemble right now).  One boss (Phoenix) is ready for primer, and the other is perhaps 2/3 assembled after several short sessions yesterday.

Here's a WIP shot of the Phoenix, aka the demon chicken.  He's a big boy, almost too big for the light box to take pictures (will get one with a mini later for a sense of scale).  Some of the most extensive filling work I've ever attempted; I'm nervous to see how it looks once primer is on it.

5a4a3983ace8b_IMG_20171231_133640-Copy.thumb.jpg.5b408d9084d811bfd1270280e0cad94a.jpg

You could go blind with those feathers.  I'm looking forward to see what colors you choose.

I'll be continuing to plug away at Massive Darkness.

p.s. I love the alias name.  It's too fierce to be nicknamed meat chicken.

Edited by Barb Bliss

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:54 AM, Blinkus Maximus said:

20171231_163127~2.jpg

20171231_163245~2.jpg

This is freaking awesome! 

I just wanted to say everyone's work is very impressive. Makes me want to pull my paintbrushes out right now.

It is very cold here also (we are having a cold snap), discouraging me from painting. Instead, I have been playing lots of games which came in over the holidays, including finishing up the Charterstone campaign. 

I did get several minis for Christmas which I am excited to soon paint. Alas, I do have to head back to work tomorrow. Christmas break is about over for us teachers. Hopefully it warms up a bit and I can find some time to paint. 

• Like 1