Jump to content
Konas

Miniature Painting

Recommended Posts

Zenith, you could always buy them and make it our home.

Barb, cool dwarfs. Are they bad guys? I have seen a lot pictures from KDM, but don’t know who are the “good guys” in the storyline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With KDM the easiest way to tell good guys from the heroes is the base size. All of the good guys are on 25mm bases, the bad guys are on 50mm or larger, even the bad guys that are not much larger than the heroes.

 Can be hard to tell from pictures, and some guys mix and match base sizes, but if the base looks disproportionately large odds are it's a bad guy. 

I have 3 bosses ready for the airbrush booth, might be able to demonstrate this in pics this weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

With KDM the easiest way to tell good guys from the heroes is the base size. All of the good guys are on 25mm bases, the bad guys are on 50mm or larger, even the bad guys that are not much larger than the heroes.

 Can be hard to tell from pictures, and some guys mix and match base sizes, but if the base looks disproportionately large odds are it's a bad guy. 

I have 3 bosses ready for the airbrush booth, might be able to demonstrate this in pics this weekend.

I have been looking into getting an airbrush system, mostly due to your posts. It will probably happen after the craziness of the Holiday season. Is there any equipment you would recommend? So far, it seems that Iwata is the got to producer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RomyCat said:

Zenith, you could always buy them and make it our home.

Barb, cool dwarfs. Are they bad guys? I have seen a lot pictures from KDM, but don’t know who are the “good guys” in the storyline.

These are from Massive Darkness.  So far, the only good guy is Little Ned.  I wanted to practice on some bigger minis and some minor bad guys before I hit the heros.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Konas said:

I have been looking into getting an airbrush system, mostly due to your posts. It will probably happen after the craziness of the Holiday season. Is there any equipment you would recommend? So far, it seems that Iwata is the got to producer.

I started a new thread for Airbrushing, and did my best to list out my current setup.  :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m impressed with your setup, Zoxe. The links to various items are helpful. I don’t think I have the space for airbrushing, but you make me wish I could try it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2017 at 8:44 PM, RomyCat said:

I’m impressed with your setup, Zoxe. The links to various items are helpful. I don’t think I have the space for airbrushing, but you make me wish I could try it.

My setup is currently kind of sprawling across the dining room table (protected by trash bags that I'm using as tablecloths).  It's "temporary" but our family understands and we don't entertain horribly often, so it's been there a little while.  We're talking about converting an upstairs nook into our gaming area (which would serve for play, display, and staging of unassembled kits), and I'm really tempted to dismantle my full desktop PC and use the space in our office for minis/hobbying.  

Never buy a house without a basement. :)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has been a good weekend.  I wish I could say we played Kingdom Death, but actually no game time - my availability was only in spurts while I multi-tasked around the house.  

However, I got up early this morning and finished up 3 KDM figures today.  I've posted the Butcher's build log and will add another post for the King's Man and the Hand later this week.  The text that went with this post is (I think) my longest blog post to date - I've spent almost 2 weeks rubbing my chin about how to do the armor on these pieces and did a couple of mock-ups including a messily painted sprue to confirm compatibility.  

I'm really NOT happy with the pictures, though.  The color choices are really (really) close together, which frustrates my camera.  But the mix the difference in "texture"and sheen of the metallics and the "glow" of the blue just isn't coming across on the cell phone camera.  I ran them through Photoshop to balance contrast and recolor, but it's still not representative of the figure I'm holding in my hand.  

20171210_121550.jpg

20171210_121600.jpg

20171210_121638.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The colors look good to me, even with the camera phone. I also love the background you use.  Is it tile or a picture you bought? Very dramatic with the minis.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RomyCat said:

The colors look good to me, even with the camera phone. I also love the background you use.  Is it tile or a picture you bought? Very dramatic with the minis.

Thanks. :)   

That's actually the Kingdom Death game board, I've just propped it up where it folds to become a background.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Zoxe said:

Thanks. :)   

That's actually the Kingdom Death game board, I've just propped it up where it folds to become a background.

Haha that's pretty clever. Looks better then most of those shadow boxes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One more hour and I'm done working for the year!  I hope to have the "Prancing Walverines" done by the weekend.  It feels like it's taking forever as there are so many of them.  Well equipped, but whimpy.  Or like their namesake.  A lot of flash, but little bang.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

One more hour and I'm done working for the year!  I hope to have the "Prancing Walverines" done by the weekend.  It feels like it's taking forever as there are so many of them.  Well equipped, but whimpy.  Or like their namesake.  A lot of flash, but little bang.

I am jealous.  We are pretty much working strait through the holiday break.  Add to that some far too extensive travel (to spend far too little time with family) and we'll barely be home except on Christmas Day.  I did however, carefully guard one precious vacation day for the 26th and hope to spend the day at the bench painting/assembling more Kingdom Death.

I'm at a point with KDM where I need to finish one model that's giving me trouble in assembly that will require some pretty extensive filling but haven't been able to get motivated.  I just accidentally crammed 1/4" of x-acto blade under my thumbnail at the base, so I'm done for the night!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ouch, poor you, Zoxe. So far, I have not have to do much for preparing any of my minis. Just wash and prime. 

I have 5 more work days then I will be finished for the year. One of the benefits of being a teacher. The downside is the long,long hours of unpaid work we often do. I had to work at a ball game this last Saturday, Did manage to go to a Gaming Meetup in the early afternoon before heading to the baseball game.

I hope to get a lot of painting done over the holiday break. I have brought a few more minis from the Deep Cut collection which I will paint soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Zoxe said:

I am jealous.  We are pretty much working strait through the holiday break.  Add to that some far too extensive travel (to spend far too little time with family) and we'll barely be home except on Christmas Day.  I did however, carefully guard one precious vacation day for the 26th and hope to spend the day at the bench painting/assembling more Kingdom Death.

I'm at a point with KDM where I need to finish one model that's giving me trouble in assembly that will require some pretty extensive filling but haven't been able to get motivated.  I just accidentally crammed 1/4" of x-acto blade under my thumbnail at the base, so I'm done for the night!

Ouch.  My hands look like I had gone 3 rounds with a rose bush when I was cleaning up all the minis I was going to prime.  I feel your pain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Zoxe said:

I am jealous.  We are pretty much working strait through the holiday break.  Add to that some far too extensive travel (to spend far too little time with family) and we'll barely be home except on Christmas Day.  I did however, carefully guard one precious vacation day for the 26th and hope to spend the day at the bench painting/assembling more Kingdom Death.

I'm at a point with KDM where I need to finish one model that's giving me trouble in assembly that will require some pretty extensive filling but haven't been able to get motivated.  I just accidentally crammed 1/4" of x-acto blade under my thumbnail at the base, so I'm done for the night!

 

I just got some serious chills reading that. I am well acquainted with that pain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Blinkus Maximus said:

I just got some serious chills reading that. I am well acquainted with that pain.

It turned out not as bad as it could have been.  Thorough wash and a tight bandaid over night, almost can't see it today.  As these things go I got lucky.

Distracted tonight by wrapping presents, but did sit down at the table to do a little bit of work on my latest KDM figure.  Tonight was adventures in filling gaps.

I've had pretty mediocre results with Green Stuff and I've refused to use it on my models. (Heresy, I know!)  Lately I've been using Vallejo Plastic Putty and Vallejo Matt Varnish to blend in seams (or just choose to leave them unfilled).  This works, but takes multiple passes because the putty and varnish both shrink as they dry.  I've gotten pretty good about eliminating the ponding marks that can happen around the edges of the varnish, but this is still a fussy thing to deal with and every layer means some risk that I'll actually make things look worse.  

Miniature Monthly (mentioned in another post) did a video on filling that featured Milliput, so I decided to try it.  It's still a 2-part putty (mixes like green stuff) but it thins with water so you can brush and blend the result.  I found it reasonably easy to work with, and some of the tools that MM showcased did make things a lot easier.

Despite some extensive fitting (to the point of being a borderline "modification" to his left shoulder), I ended up with some pretty nasty gaps around the Gold Smoke Knight (GSK) model for Kingdom Death.  Here's the filled version that's currently curing.  I think the edges are blended smoothly, but I won't be able to tell for sure until I prime.  I can always further blend with Varnish before I airbrush colors.  

I didn't take a picture of the seams in the back/cloak but think I filled them in one shot.

 

20171214_204755.thumb.jpg.17e8d0961e683e972cf310160554ea93.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to introduce you to the "Prancing Walverines".  Well equipped, big bark, but no bite.  Or big bucks, but no bang.  The wimpiest "monsters" in Massive Darkness.

Note: the new bottle of "redwood stain" was worth every penny.  Though there was no covering up the places where it bled onto

image.thumb.png.073095cf692142782063152b7a463c0d.png

image.thumb.png.2251d9e0b6f729cfc0a72faeed275a40.png

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work, Barb. Those eyes really bring them to life.

Zoxe, I’ll keep your tips in mind if I have to deal with that in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, RomyCat said:

Nice work, Barb. Those eyes really bring them to life.

I'm getting better with flesh and faces.  I kind of which I hadn't started with the cliff breaker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2017 at 9:55 PM, Zoxe said:

Thanks. :)   

That's actually the Kingdom Death game board, I've just propped it up where it folds to become a background.

I like the way your KD:M set is looking.

I admit that I'm only putting my KD:M pieces together now, and it surprises me how the most popular painting schemes seem to be monochromatic/stylistic, rather than realistic.  Especially given the painting contest/pro painting that I've seen done.

I admit I've been nervous about painting the figures because I wasn't sure I could do a decent 'realistic' job on them, but now I'm not sure that's worth the effort.  I really like the stylistic look, and I think it's probably simpler for a newbie like me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×