Konas

Miniature Painting

41 minutes ago, RomyCat said:

@Zoxe, I didn't know some models required a lot of assembly. So far all the ones I have brought have come in one piece. I know to keep an eye out for that when buying new minis.

25 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Seems like a blessing and a curse.

@RomyCat @Barb Bliss - Hah, it can be a curse!  I've been doing hobby-related stuff since I was in gradeschool (cub scouts, model rockets, pinewood derby) and R/C models later in life so the assembly really doesn't scare me.  No better way to spend a Saturday morning than at the bench with a cup of coffee and an open bottle of glue (Just don't confuse the two!! :)  ).

Painting - that does scare me quite a bit, even after dozens of models, which is why I'm doing the airbrush-and-shader-and-drybrush routine on KDM. 

The KDM models are some of the most complicated I've personally seen.  Other games in our stable (Zombicide, Super Dungeon Explore, Descent 2E) come preassembled.  Shadows of Brimstone figures are outwardly more simple (fewer pieces) but the molding is much lower quality and it's actually harder to get a decent looking assembly.  

The two heroes above are now complete!  

http://zoxes.blogspot.com/2017/12/hot-off-desk-kdm-young-and-old-survivors.html

20171202_153700.jpg

20171202_154055.jpg

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

@RomyCat @Barb Bliss - Hah, it can be a curse!  I've been doing hobby-related stuff since I was in gradeschool (cub scouts, model rockets, pinewood derby) and R/C models later in life so the assembly really doesn't scare me.  No better way to spend a Saturday morning than at the bench with a cup of coffee and an open bottle of glue (Just don't confuse the two!! :)  ).

I prefer a glass of gin and some pots of paint :-)

p.s. My camera just showed up at the door.  Why do things always seem to take forever to charge their battery when it's brand new?

4 hours ago, Zoxe said:

Your color choices are great.

And sadly, I can see why you chose the name. :D

I would have liked to do a better blending job on the eyes, but overall I'm happy with her. especially her tentacles.  I'm pretty sure I can find a Mickey Rooney in all these monsters.

21 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

I would have liked to do a better blending job on the eyes, but overall I'm happy with her. especially her tentacles.  I'm pretty sure I can find a Mickey Rooney in all these monsters.

Fantastic job, Barb. How did you get the rust colored speckling on the white bony thing on her head?

2 minutes ago, Konas said:

Fantastic job, Barb. How did you get the rust colored speckling on the white bony thing on her head?

Sepia wash.  I started out with bone crusher paint, then the wash, then some dry brushing of a lighter bone color.  You have to have a real light touch with the wash though.

Edited by Barb Bliss
  • Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 4:38 PM, Zoxe said:

Painting - that does scare me quite a bit, even after dozens of models, which is why I'm doing the airbrush-and-shader-and-drybrush routine on KDM. 

The KDM models are some of the most complicated I've personally seen.  Other games in our stable (Zombicide, Super Dungeon Explore, Descent 2E) come preassembled.  Shadows of Brimstone figures are outwardly more simple (fewer pieces) but the molding is much lower quality and it's actually harder to get a decent looking assembly.  

The two heroes above are now complete!  

http://zoxes.blogspot.com/2017/12/hot-off-desk-kdm-young-and-old-survivors.html

20171202_153700.jpg

20171202_154055.jpg

These look killer. I especially like the gold color on the left side. I am also a huge fan of your rubber ducky cup stands.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Barb Bliss said:

Sepia wash.  I started out with bone crusher paint, then the wash, then some dry brushing of a lighter bone color.  You have to have a real light touch with the wash though.

Well done. Lindsey and I have made a commitment to get some painting done this week as well. 

1 minute ago, Konas said:

Well done. Lindsey and I have made a commitment to get some painting done this week as well. 

I worked on a "dwarf defender mob" yesterday.  He kind of looks like Mickey Rooney...

11 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

I worked on a "dwarf defender mob" yesterday.  He kind of looks like Mickey Rooney...

I am actually working on a Cthulhu painting for the office...the other Mike is a big fan. Oddly enough, Cthulhu is turning out looking like Jimmy Stewart.

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Konas said:

These look killer. I especially like the gold color on the left side. I am also a huge fan of your rubber ducky cup stands.

Thanks. 😁

The ducks are actually the most awesome duct tape ever, courtesy of Mrs. Zoxe.  Added for a little grip and cushion on the pill bottles. First time using them for this project and have been happy so far. Even without any counterweight they're pretty stable.  Simple and cheap.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lindsey said:

Oh man the minis on this thread are so cool! 

Yeah, where are your recently painted minis, hmmmm?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Orc Stone Breaker (still getting used to the new camera...).  I'm getting better at flesh and faces...

image.thumb.png.86a81981299734308710a2e4c8ebb869.pngimage.thumb.png.0737d4d95cf7ef5b520d439280cb9bb0.png

Cockatrix (or something like that)

image.thumb.png.2dd207b2e9f87f8b983799bb9f460947.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Orc Stone Breaker (still getting used to the new camera...).  I'm getting better at flesh and faces...

image.thumb.png.86a81981299734308710a2e4c8ebb869.pngimage.thumb.png.0737d4d95cf7ef5b520d439280cb9bb0.png

Cockatrix (or something like that)

image.thumb.png.2dd207b2e9f87f8b983799bb9f460947.png

Nice shading on the flesh tones! Now, you need to jazz up your bases. 

36 minutes ago, Konas said:

Nice shading on the flesh tones! Now, you need to jazz up your bases. 

Suggestions?  I was going to have black for roaming monsters, brown for mobs, and some gold/yellow concoction for the heros.

Great job, Barb.   Liz Taylor will look very scary to face in game. Great details also on the Orc and bird.

I'm currently working on painting mini's for my Pathfinder group. During our first two meetings, we were just grabbing random minis (most unpainted) that did not match our characters (because no one owned proper minis for our characters). It got confusing as the random minis didn't match our characters, so I searched near and far online and found proper minis to represent each of our unique group members. Two came prepainted, but the rest I'm been painting. I was nervous doing them as they are my first "live" characters I have painted (just being doing terrain before now). They are coming along nicely, but I still have more to do.  I will post pictures later when I finish.

2 hours ago, RomyCat said:

Great job, Barb.   Liz Taylor will look very scary to face in game. Great details also on the Orc and bird.

I'm currently working on painting mini's for my Pathfinder group. During our first two meetings, we were just grabbing random minis (most unpainted) that did not match our characters (because no one owned proper minis for our characters). It got confusing as the random minis didn't match our characters, so I searched near and far online and found proper minis to represent each of our unique group members. Two came prepainted, but the rest I'm been painting. I was nervous doing them as they are my first "live" characters I have painted (just being doing terrain before now). They are coming along nicely, but I still have more to do.  I will post pictures later when I finish.

Some tips I picked up:

• Do large areas like robes or armor first, with the caveat that if there are areas you have to "poke in" the paint (a face for example), do those early and try not to hit them again. 
  • If you are dry brushing, you WILL hit the surrounding areas a little.  Don't stress about it.  To quote the Emperor: "It is unavoidable."
  • Very little can't be fixed with a little touch up paint.
  • Have fun
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

Suggestions?  I was going to have black for roaming monsters, brown for mobs, and some gold/yellow concoction for the heros.

I was thinking something like this.

https://www.coolminiornot.com/shop/bases-2

I love using these. I get different sets for different teams for skirmish games. For instance, my Hunters team from Guild Ball uses a forest base.

7 minutes ago, Konas said:

I was thinking something like this.

https://www.coolminiornot.com/shop/bases-2

I love using these. I get different sets for different teams for skirmish games. For instance, my Hunters team from Guild Ball uses a forest base.

Unfortunately, these minis are all one molded piece of plastic.  Best I could do is slather the base with glue, pour on some sand/kitty litter, and paint it, but given how much I've had to work around the figure to get to the base (e.g. Liz and the thing), I decided against doing anything like that.

Just want to give a huge kudos to all of you who take up miniature painting as a hobby.  I wish I could remotely come close to the outstanding work you do on these minis.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, tgpumpkin said:

Just want to give a huge kudos to all of you who take up miniature painting as a hobby.  I wish I could remotely come close to the outstanding work you do on these minis.  

Hey, I'm an extremely left brained engineer winging it after watching some youtube videos and getting tips here.  I would like to see how gourd you could do.

13 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Unfortunately, these minis are all one molded piece of plastic.  Best I could do is slather the base with glue, pour on some sand/kitty litter, and paint it, but given how much I've had to work around the figure to get to the base (e.g. Liz and the thing), I decided against doing anything like that.

Yeah, you would have to cut them free then pin them to the new bases. Kinda a pain in the buttocks.