Konas

Miniature Painting

14 hours ago, Zoxe said:

Some WIP shots of my next project -- Shadows of Brimstone Depth Tracker.  This is a resin piece that replaces the cardboard template included in the game.  I've had it for quite awhile, and we've used it unpainted, but it's time to get on with finishing it.

Bare primer.  The reading glasses behind it should help give scale.  It's pretty darn big!

20181112_184216.thumb.jpg.da641bbb0c8b599028882b107fa0e7b7.jpg

I hit the wooden frame in AP Dark Stone first and pretty much coated the entire piece.  I came back with some medium brown (I think AP calls this 'fur brown') to lighten the areas that will be parchment.  For speed, I decided to airbrush this too, meaning I had to mask off the wood.  Inefficient, but still faster overall.

20181118_120943.thumb.jpg.ce3133cebfd2687c8622aa87a175503a.jpg

Here, the parchment areas have been airbrushed with Skeleton Bone and the masking tape has been removed.  I went back over the oversprayed wood areas with Dark Stone and made the Depth Track "sign" a consistent lighter brown.  I'm dreading doing all of the lettering.  :)

20181118_122541.thumb.jpg.2f44f63ec0716a22576264e216e8e3b3.jpg

Oooh!!! I am so excited to see how this turns out.

I'll admit I often use cheap acrylic paints from Walmart for my base coats. Then as I start applying details, I use my reaper paints if I have the colors. I love how the silver and metal Reaper colors really pop. I bought two Reaper beginner kits through Amazon. Its a nice start to my paint collection but I still need a lot more colors.  In the future I hope to buy more colors. 

Still, the Walmart version does work really well for the many terrain and props I have been painting lately where details are lacking.

21 hours ago, RomyCat said:

I'll admit I often use cheap acrylic paints from Walmart for my base coats. Then as I start applying details, I use my reaper paints if I have the colors. I love how the silver and metal Reaper colors really pop. I bought two Reaper beginner kits through Amazon. Its a nice start to my paint collection but I still need a lot more colors.  In the future I hope to buy more colors. 

Still, the Walmart version does work really well for the many terrain and props I have been painting lately where details are lacking.

By the way, Reaper is discontinuing their HD Paint line.  Black Friday (11/23-26), all remaining HD paint will be 99 cents a bottle while supplies last.

I'm pretty sad about this. I just found their HD line about a year ago. The colors that I have tried work really really well and I feel like I got to the party just in time for the keg to go flat.  But, if you want to grab some additional colors, it should be a great deal.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Zoxe said:

By the way, Reaper is discontinuing their HD Paint line.  Black Friday (11/23-26), all remaining HD paint will be 99 cents a bottle while supplies last.

I'm pretty sad about this. I just found their HD line about a year ago. The colors that I have tried work really really well and I feel like I got to the party just in time for the keg to go flat.  But, if you want to grab some additional colors, it should be a great deal.

I want to check that out. Will the sell be on their webpage or through other companies such as Amazon?

8 hours ago, RomyCat said:

I want to check that out. Will the sell be on their webpage or through other companies such as Amazon?

It looks like it will be through their web page.  

13 hours ago, Zoxe said:

Yup!

What time does it start?  It's midnight CST, but the prices haven't dropped.  I've been waiting up.

17 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

What time does it start?  It's midnight CST, but the prices haven't dropped.  I've been waiting up.

Never mind.  It's up now at 12:10.  I saw that I got free shipping if I bought $35 worth, so I couldn't pass that deal up 😀.  I got 36 bottles of paint.  Hopefully it doesn't dry up before I use it.  LOL!  It took me a few beats to figure out the website.

P.S. The site is REALLY SLOW, so I think I wasn't the only one jumping on it.  I hope you get loaded up before they run out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks to you guys I picked up a lot of paint, though about half of the paints were sold out. But I also bought a few minis to reach $35 for the free shipping. 

• Like 2

My paint showed up today.  A small box full of paint bottles tossed in.  ☃️  Not sure if it froze at all, but it was REALLY cold.

31 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

My paint showed up today.  A small box full of paint bottles tossed in.  ☃️  Not sure if it froze at all, but it was REALLY cold.

Got mine yesterday. Paint looks fine. Miniature look fun to paint. 

Spent a good portion creating a team for Gaslands. If you haven't heard of this, it is a very cool game. It is a game of Post Apocalyptic Vehicular Carnage that uses matchbox or hot wheels cars and a rulebook that costs 12 bucks. We spent more time then we should have perusing the local super market's selection of toy cars then primed and painted them to fit the theme. Made some minor mods but didn't have any guns to add. Hopefully getting some of those soon. It is very fun and a nice, low stress way to paint, especially because the cars are supposed to look crappy and well worn. Here's my first go.

20181209_161520.jpg

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Konas said:

Spent a good portion creating a team for Gaslands. If you haven't heard of this, it is a very cool game. It is a game of Post Apocalyptic Vehicular Carnage that uses matchbox or hot wheels cars and a rulebook that costs 12 bucks. We spent more time then we should have perusing the local super market's selection of toy cars then primed and painted them to fit the theme. Made some minor mods but didn't have any guns to add. Hopefully getting some of those soon. It is very fun and a nice, low stress way to paint, especially because the cars are supposed to look crappy and well worn. Here's my first go.

20181209_161520.jpg

you have to love the osprey games they are all pretty awesome. Haven't tried gaslands yet but watched a couple videos on it and will probably be picking it up at some point. With 3 boys i have more then enough cars i can ... salvage... to make a tea,.

• Like 1

Village Attacks skirmish box.  5 minis completed so far.  Pewter bases are monsters.  Copper bases are town heros.

image.thumb.png.847dc77642130eca19307edd76139054.png

Glaistig, Wendigo, and Banshee

image.thumb.png.5ae6577580f709ca6fbde6a9cbf0a0fa.png

image.thumb.png.f92bfd248b17fd9491dc5f761217dfa3.png

Town heroes: Jailor, Executioner

image.thumb.png.d9d0192c360dca8db4e1d8ca3b3566e9.png

image.thumb.png.2a815d5fd72b6b3c3029ebdb8180bbbf.png

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Village Attacks skirmish box.  5 minis completed so far.  Pewter bases are monsters.  Copper bases are town heros.

image.thumb.png.847dc77642130eca19307edd76139054.png

Glaistig, Wendigo, and Banshee

image.thumb.png.5ae6577580f709ca6fbde6a9cbf0a0fa.png

image.thumb.png.f92bfd248b17fd9491dc5f761217dfa3.png

Town heroes: Jailor, Executioner

image.thumb.png.d9d0192c360dca8db4e1d8ca3b3566e9.png

image.thumb.png.2a815d5fd72b6b3c3029ebdb8180bbbf.png

Those look great. Nice work. The Wendigo is very cool.

39 minutes ago, Konas said:

Those look great. Nice work. The Wendigo is very cool.

Thanks!  That one was the most fun, but I think the flesh of the banshee is what I'm most proud of.  In person, it's got that dead person's marbling of pink, blue, white, and grey.  I never did feel great about her hair though.  It's hard to white/grey hair with highlights and make it different looking than dead body flesh.

Edited by Barb Bliss

1 minute ago, Barb Bliss said:

Thanks!  That one was the most fun, but I think the flesh of the banshee is what I'm most proud of.  In person, it's got that dead persons marbling of pink, blue, white, and grey.  I never did feel great about her hair though.  It's hard to white/grey hair with highlights and make it different looking than dead body flesh.

Not to mention her stupid dress made it REALLY hard to paint the inside of the dress and the leg without banging something else by accident.

• Like 1

More Village Attacks minis.

Baykok (warrior hunter).  I really like how his eyes turned out.

image.thumb.png.4e38c40c08ec93f2d015898e92c0426d.pngimage.png.10bc4f0313d8db498199e1c4452a78a2.pngimage.thumb.png.d9f0584b49363165c389ef33df98be42.png

Vodyanoy (watery grandfather)

image.png.cb8886138504bc7b44998f82c12c7860.pngimage.png.92ec08cbd572c3eccd4849deb1e280d6.pngimage.png.5318bc5be173ba886f7e43b6b17813df.png

The Alchemist:

image.png.1148ade3d7787cf9ba173ab96cdf5e6e.pngimage.png.e1ff8b5b6568e5d8a612472af2743405.pngimage.png.1afd566b2333e61946c2ca955848df67.png

The Grave Digger:

image.png.5c4ae7ffdb888b495bbad58dc70618c2.pngimage.png.a25f6c82ed9b8c175e5d0cb396a36ba0.png

Edited by Barb Bliss
  • Like 3