Konas

Miniature Painting

12 hours ago, RomyCat said:

Blinkus Maximus, she looks awesome. If any of mine come out even half that good, I will be happy.  Konos and Lindsey, both of your also look cool. All of you have talent...and not just with wood.

As I am trying to figure out the best way to get started with painting, I have several questions.  I have watched videos and read different discussions about paints. I am currently considering buying Reaper's beginning kit to get started.  Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NTMC49G/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I14QLGE8AH8B2B&colid=1VCH329LILIYU

Does Reaper make good paint? I noticed this kit is missing the primary color of red. Does anyone have other suggestions for what a beginner should buy? I know I will need some type of primer and sealer. What are your suggestions for what I should purchase? 

I started with the Reaper paint starter kit and Bone miniatures so I think it's a great idea! And @Blinkus Maximus is right, you should keep your first couple of minis so you can see your skill level grow. For primer I started with Army Painter because the price is good but I don't prefer to use it as often anymore (it can get chunky sometimes). As for sealer I started using Krylon crystal clear and Krylon Matte and I still use those today. For my gaming minis I still use those same paints but for painting competitions I now use SCALE 75 paints and Privateer Press primer.  

12 hours ago, Blinkus Maximus said:

And now that I'm home, this is my current project.

Please ignore the skin, as it looks awful because I still have no idea what I want to do with it. Steel also needs work and the feather trim on the cloak is only undercoated and shaded. Still a little to do on the cloak too, as I'm not completely happy with it yet.

Hopefully soon I'll be happy enough with her to get that Dragon Sheath for her to ride to game night in.

20171005_175357_Burst05.jpg

I really like the snow effect on the base! What did you use?

25 minutes ago, Lindsey said:

I'd like to know that as well.

Also, seems like you guys are starting off with better sculpts than the plastic ones that are coming with the KS games.  Any tricks for painting on plastic?

1 minute ago, Barb Bliss said:

Also, seems like you guys are starting off with better sculpts than the plastic ones that are coming with the KS games.  Any tricks for painting on plastic?

Overemphasize the highlights. When working with a smaller scale and less detailed mini making the highlights really pop helps a lot. Doing this will still make board game minis look amazing! Here are some Descent minis I did that were of lesser quality but still look great on the table. I did a blog with some tips and examples but unfortunately I haven't updated it in awhile due to moving into the industry full time. Hopefully I can jump back into it someday https://boardminipainter.com/

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lindsey said:

Overemphasize the highlights. When working with a smaller scale and less detailed mini making the highlights really pop helps a lot. Doing this will still make board game minis look amazing! Here are some Descent minis I did that were of lesser quality but still look great on the table. I did a blog with some tips and examples but unfortunately I haven't updated it in awhile due to moving into the industry full time. Hopefully I can jump back into it someday https://boardminipainter.com/

Sometimes I really hate the bank.  Your url is blocked!

Just now, Barb Bliss said:

Sometimes I really hate the bank.  Your url is blocked!

Haha wow that's pretty strict...

1 minute ago, Lindsey said:

Haha wow that's pretty strict...

It only takes one knucklehead to let in a virus, and boom access is gone.  We can access any email accounts like gmail, yahoo mail either.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Lindsey said:

43 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

It's the Citadel Valhallan Blizzard with a blue glaze over it, nothing crazy.

• Thanks 1

Was reading your blog, Lindsey. How many miniatures do you own? Do you get the Ghostbuster game? That was a lot of miniatures.

Barb, you are making me want to buy that face painting set, yet I have not even mastered the basics yet...or even started painting. I'm still trying to be careful what I buy and lay out a plan for that. 

Question, when you are painting miniatures, do you hold it in your hand, have some type of turning wheel, or another why to handle the figures to move them without touching them?

32 minutes ago, RomyCat said:

Was reading your blog, Lindsey. How many miniatures do you own? Do you get the Ghostbuster game? That was a lot of miniatures.

Barb, you are making me want to buy that face painting set, yet I have not even mastered the basics yet...or even started painting. I'm still trying to be careful what I buy and lay out a plan for that. 

Question, when you are painting miniatures, do you hold it in your hand, have some type of turning wheel, or another why to handle the figures to move them without touching them?

Generally you don't want to hold the mini itself, because you can leave oils from your fingers or rub off spots you already painted.

You can just hold it by the base, if it has one, or stick it to a wine cork, or an empty paint bottle, or anything you have laying around that's comfy to hold, with a bit of superglue and it'll pop off really easy when you're done. Or you can stick it to something with a little sticky-tac, a sticky reusable putty if you don't want to use glue.

I was going to work on door frames (stone, which is new to me) after work, but took a solid 2 hour nap instead.  I won't have time to get back at it until Monday now.  Hopefully while I'm basking in the afterglow of an upset win.

18 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

I was going to work on door frames (stone, which is new to me) after work, but took a solid 2 hour nap instead.  I won't have time to get back at it until Monday now.  Hopefully while I'm basking in the afterglow of an upset win.

Holy Cow.  I just ordered those paints, and the skin set and the mid evil set were waiting for me when I got home today.  Too bad the washes are what I really want to use.  But not bad considering I opted for the free delivery.

• Like 1

Awesome job, Barb. That bottom door has so many cool details. I just ordered my paints and am excitedly waiting for them. As the Reaper beginner kit comes with several minis that don't need primer and includes a how-to booklet, I will start there. Hopefully I can build my skills up a little then try to tackle those roaches from Mice and Mystics. How hard can it be to paint a bug? I will be finding out. Once I get a bit more confidence I will tackle the other characters from the game. 

After that, I have mini furniture and cave items I bought to enhance Gloomhaven, including chests and doors. Maybe I can make mine turn out as good as yours. Actually, maybe I should try painting doors, chests, and crates before painting the live action mice and insects. I presume painting fur and skin is much harder.

8 hours ago, RomyCat said:

Awesome job, Barb. That bottom door has so many cool details. I just ordered my paints and am excitedly waiting for them. As the Reaper beginner kit comes with several minis that don't need primer and includes a how-to booklet, I will start there. Hopefully I can build my skills up a little then try to tackle those roaches from Mice and Mystics. How hard can it be to paint a bug? I will be finding out. Once I get a bit more confidence I will tackle the other characters from the game. 

After that, I have mini furniture and cave items I bought to enhance Gloomhaven, including chests and doors. Maybe I can make mine turn out as good as yours. Actually, maybe I should try painting doors, chests, and crates before painting the live action mice and insects. I presume painting fur and skin is much harder.

I figured the doors and chests would be easier than the actual figures, and that they'd get less scrutiny too.  I've learned a bit in the process.  My guess is that I'll embrace the mantra that painted minis always look better than unpainted minis, and each piece doesn't have to be the Mona Lisa.

14 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

My doors and chest.  Not sure my dry brushing is adding value to my door on the right...

These look great so far Barb! One thing I would suggest to really make them pop would be giving them some shading with a wash/ink. If you don't have a special made one (I don't know if Reaper has specific ones...) you can really water down a dark brown paint, or mix brown with black to make it as dark as you want, and run it over the piece so the paint settles into the recesses. Then drybrush over that when it's dry. It'll add that little extra depth to really make them shine!

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Blinkus Maximus said:

These look great so far Barb! One thing I would suggest to really make them pop would be giving them some shading with a wash/ink. If you don't have a special made one (I don't know if Reaper has specific ones...) you can really water down a dark brown paint, or mix brown with black to make it as dark as you want, and run it over the piece so the paint settles into the recesses. Then drybrush over that when it's dry. It'll add that little extra depth to really make them shine!

That sounds like a great idea.  I just may try that tonight.  I have some pre-first frost work in the yard after work.  We'll see what the back feels like after that...

22 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

That sounds like a great idea.  I just may try that tonight.  I have some pre-first frost work in the yard after work.  We'll see what the back feels like after that...

Barb, those doors look very cool. Keep paintin'!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

Check this out!

Those do look pretty great. Unfortunately a bit small for my hands, but I do like the design a lot. Very smartly made with lots of thought put into letting painters attach models their preferred way.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Blinkus Maximus said:

Those do look pretty great. Unfortunately a bit small for my hands, but I do like the design a lot. Very smartly made with lots of thought put into letting painters attach models their preferred way.

Good to  hear.  I'm a backer :-)

And since we're talking painting supply, I'm a backer on this project.

Not necessarily something for everyone, and you should definitely be sure you know about wet palettes and if they're something you want to do, but this one has a lot of promise and praise from the right places.

1 minute ago, Blinkus Maximus said:

And since we're talking painting supply, I'm a backer on this project.

Not necessarily something for everyone, and you should definitely be sure you know about wet palettes and if they're something you want to do, but this one has a lot of promise and praise from the right places.

I've been doing the poor man's version of this.  Pyrex dish, white felt, and cooking parchment paper.  Works pretty well.

• Like 1