Konas

Miniature Painting

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 8:21 AM, Zoxe said:

Sand Kraken was done last weekend. Here he's attacking my patio table.

20180930_085146.thumb.jpg.fe408b8b2b3eb8c148085318295ae877.jpg

20180930_085138.thumb.jpg.d1bafa2abac0e98875e690d13af68e4b.jpg20180930_085205.thumb.jpg.961a23761f7cd45128c2a641a5f404c9.jpg

Your painting is sooooo clean! I am envious. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you!  We're off for Columbus Day, and before I go outside to finish staining the deck, I've been painting some Brimstone out of my pile of shame.

It's arguably TOO bright to take decent pics outside, but hot off the bench is my Nun with a Gun.  (She's an alt sculpt hero for Shadows of Brimstone, i.e. female Preacher).  I'll say that the gray highlights look less obvious in room lighting.

Painting black and white is HARD. 

20181008_112133.thumb.jpg.a0c0fb434c118444570d4f30739622fc.jpg

20181008_112146.thumb.jpg.552aa9c7d7889bf22f36e56423ba49d0.jpg

• Like 5

Next up, I'm attempting to salvage these probe droids. I assembled and basecoated well over a year ago and got really dismayed at how they looked. 

I spent an hour with the airbrush this morning to make them a little more exciting.

Starting point... black primer and Armypainter Gun Metal.

20181008_090353.thumb.jpg.075a1a020b817c3295271c4f477ff0b9.jpg

I mixed just a bit of blue paint into some SO blue ink and shot the globe all over. Then some Liquitex carbon black ink around the base.

20181008_104029.thumb.jpg.a127bcf83099054670bcd23fcb53792f.jpg

Then I grabbed 2 more shades of silver and shot a highlight from about 45 degrees...

20181008_113755.thumb.jpg.87ae3110a588201cdf9c9ce32180f992.jpg

Next up, I'll airbrush shade the arms and tentacles. However, not looking forward to all those lenses.

• Like 2

@Lindsey and I did a TON of painting this weekend...it rained both days. Lindsey did more than me but I am pretty pleased with my Fenrir from Blood Rage!

20181007_175242.jpg

• Like 7

Mine always look so much messier in close up pics.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

Next up, I'm attempting to salvage these probe droids. I assembled and basecoated well over a year ago and got really dismayed at how they looked. 

I spent an hour with the airbrush this morning to make them a little more exciting.

Starting point... black primer and Armypainter Gun Metal.

20181008_090353.thumb.jpg.075a1a020b817c3295271c4f477ff0b9.jpg

I mixed just a bit of blue paint into some SO blue ink and shot the globe all over. Then some Liquitex carbon black ink around the base.

20181008_104029.thumb.jpg.a127bcf83099054670bcd23fcb53792f.jpg

Then I grabbed 2 more shades of silver and shot a highlight from about 45 degrees...

20181008_113755.thumb.jpg.87ae3110a588201cdf9c9ce32180f992.jpg

Next up, I'll airbrush shade the arms and tentacles. However, not looking forward to all those lenses.

Your work always makes me want to get an airbrush! Maybe for XMas! 

• Like 1

Just now, Konas said:

Mine always look so much messier in close up pics.

Lol! Not just you.  I hate seeing pictures of myself (oh gawd, when did I get so old!) and pictures of my minis (oh gawd, I see 37 things that needed fixed!).  

Your Fenrir just oozes attitude, and your work makes your minis look very lived in / dirty / been-there-done-that.  I love it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, marsniper_27 said:

I have an airbrush but rarely get to use it. They are nice.

Want to trade it for some Dog Might product?

1 minute ago, Zoxe said:

Lol! Not just you.  I hate seeing pictures of myself (oh gawd, when did I get so old!) and pictures of my minis (oh gawd, I see 37 things that needed fixed!).  

Your Fenrir just oozes attitude, and your work makes your minis look very lived in / dirty / been-there-done-that.  I love it.

Hah, I know how you feel. Plus, the fading vision sure doesn't help with the mini paiting.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Konas said:

Your work always makes me want to get an airbrush! Maybe for XMas! 

Since you guys are in the convention scene so often, hit up the Badger booth.  His convention show prices make me cry a little - at GenCon and Reapercon, he was running a 2 brush special (Patriot 105 and Sotar 2020) for about what I paid for my Sotar.   I'm also starting to love his Stynlrez primer.

My backlog is so big that I need to figure out how to get 'reasonable' quality for less time investment. The figures I'm working right now are heading me in that direction.  Hopefully I can get the probe droids done (or nearly done) tonight.

• Like 2

Hah, I know how you feel. Plus, the fading vision sure doesn't help with the mini paiting.

I bought my first pair of reading glasses this summer.  :(

• Like 1

Just now, Zoxe said:

Since you guys are in the convention scene so often, hit up the Badger booth.  His convention show prices make me cry a little - at GenCon and Reapercon, he was running a 2 brush special (Patriot 105 and Sotar 2020) for about what I paid for my Sotar.   I'm also starting to love his Stynlrez primer.

My backlog is so big that I need to figure out how to get 'reasonable' quality for less time investment. The figures I'm working right now are heading me in that direction.  Hopefully I can get the probe droids done (or nearly done) tonight.

Yes, the time savings is what I am looking for as well. Not only to have a good, solid collection of monsters for RPGs but also to quickly finish, for instance, a Guild Ball team and play them. We have soooo many mini games, we always get behind painting.

1 minute ago, Zoxe said:

I am not there yet but am already preparing myself mentally for the inevitable man girdle, toupee, and walker.

• Haha 3

I am not there yet but am already preparing myself mentally for the inevitable man girdle, toupee, and walker.

They make man girdles?? Man, something for my Amazon shopping cart.  :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Konas said:

Want to trade it for some Dog Might product?

Tempting but I enjoy using it when I get to so I think I will keep it.

@Zoxe I use the badger stynylrez primer and like it I have the grey and the white to do some pre-shading. I also have a set of their badger minitaire paints and their minitaire ghost tints. The paints are decent but there are a couple that are actually too thin. The ghost tints I like what you can do with them but my skill makes me usually make a mess with them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, marsniper_27 said:

Tempting but I enjoy using it when I get to so I think I will keep it.

@Zoxe I use the badger stynylrez primer and like it I have the grey and the white to do some pre-shading. I also have a set of their badger minitaire paints and their minitaire ghost tints. The paints are decent but there are a couple that are actually too thin. The ghost tints I like what you can do with them but my skill makes me usually make a mess with them.

@marsniper_27 I've used the black Stynlrez for the Nun and a sample of medium brown from GenCon for the Sand Kraken.  For both, they shot REALLY well.  I did end up knocking the black primer off the Nun in a few places while handling, but the Flying Frog resin is really obnoxious (nothing ever seems to stick to it as well as it should no matter how much surface prep you do), so I won't hold that against Badger.

The brown Styn did seem a little thin - too thin for hand brushing/touchup in the deep recesses, actually. 

For the past year I've been using Vallejo Surface Primer and it's always treated me well, but I typically thin it just a touch for spraying and that slows me down, especially if I don't hit the consistency I want on the first try.  It was a little surreal to pour-and-gun with the Stynlrez.

19 hours ago, Konas said:

Lighted magnifying glass.  Couldn't do this hobby without it.  Get a zero distortion glass.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Zoxe said:

I realize this probably makes you feel old, but it makes me feel way older.  I've been using "cheaters" for over a decade.

5 minutes ago, WxCougar said:

I use jeweler's magnifying glasses for mini painting.

I haven't tried that.  I got one of those magnifying lamps/stands and tried to use it.. but honestly the perspective always throws me off.  I don't know if the glasses would be better or not / if that's just something I need to get used to.

3 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

I realize this probably makes you feel old, but it makes me feel way older.  I've been using "cheaters" for over a decade.

Which is about how long I've had progressive lenses in my glasses.  And a few years back I ended up getting a separate pair of 'computer' glasses for work.

52 minutes ago, Thomas Browne said:

I haven't tried that.  I got one of those magnifying lamps/stands and tried to use it.. but honestly the perspective always throws me off.  I don't know if the glasses would be better or not / if that's just something I need to get used to.

The nice thing with the glasses is I can change out the magnification. But it does take a bit getting used to.

1 hour ago, Thomas Browne said:

Which is about how long I've had progressive lenses in my glasses.  And a few years back I ended up getting a separate pair of 'computer' glasses for work.

I have the separate set of "computer glasses".  They are really nice.

Look in the needlework catalog-ish places.  Mine is the last gift my dad ever gave me.  It's on a heavy duty stand with 3 separate joints for moving it around and getting the angle I like.

This isn't mine, but it's close enough for government work.

image.png.515ff5551a7dbcaffd39493528d07886.png

29 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

I have the separate set of "computer glasses".  They are really nice.

Look in the needlework catalog-ish places.  Mine is the last gift my dad ever gave me.  It's on a heavy duty stand with 3 separate joints for moving it around and getting the angle I like.

This isn't mine, but it's close enough for government work.

image.png.515ff5551a7dbcaffd39493528d07886.png

It's not that I can't get it into position.

It's that I try to bring the brush in where I THINK I'm looking, and I always end up off target.  It's like the idea that when you look through water, things aren't exactly where they appear.

That's the whole theory behind a bunch of carnival games/cons.  

2 hours ago, Thomas Browne said:

It's not that I can't get it into position.

It's that I try to bring the brush in where I THINK I'm looking, and I always end up off target.  It's like the idea that when you look through water, things aren't exactly where they appear.

That's the whole theory behind a bunch of carnival games/cons.  

zero distortion glass will take care of that.