Konas

Miniature Painting

2 minutes ago, Konas said:

Nice work. I like the axe head quite a bit. And the horns are fantastic

I really like the technical paints from Citadel (though the names drive me crazy).  Bronze (Vallejo) and "leadbelcher" for the metals.  Then I added  "typhus corrosion" and "blood for the blood god".

As a side note, I'm all done with Massive Darkness painting except for one monster (the living construct), at least until rats and lizards arrive sometime today.  I had a wager with Drew that the character would be pulled from the deck yesterday.  Sure enough the living construct card was the second roaming monster card to be pulled.  To which Drew started shaking his fist at the game and said "Noooooooooooooooooo..."

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

I really like the technical paints from Citadel (though the names drive me crazy).  Bronze (Vallejo) and "leadbelcher" for the metals.  Then I added  "typhus corrosion" and "blood for the blood god".

HAHAHAHA I know at least blood for the blood god is a 40k reference. I wouldn't be surprised if they're all Warhammer-themed. (Speaking as an ex-40k player.) Loved those paints, though.

And I agree, those horns look fricken sweet!

46 minutes ago, Zoe said:

HAHAHAHA I know at least blood for the blood god is a 40k reference. I wouldn't be surprised if they're all Warhammer-themed. (Speaking as an ex-40k player.) Loved those paints, though.

And I agree, those horns look fricken sweet!

Ishanti bone.  Dry brushed a blue grey heavy on them.  Then dry brushed a silver grey on lightly on the edges.  Sepia wash.  A couple of touch-up (smh), and then an Umber wash was added after I grey washed the body.

• Like 1

I am just about done with the sphinx herself. A few touchups and then going on to the base. It only has one coat of ivory on it. @Zoe here she is!

20180823_122521.jpg

20180823_122533.jpg

20180823_115324.jpg

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, WxCougar said:

I am just about done with the sphinx herself. A few touchups and then going on to the base. It only has one coat of ivory on it. @Zoe here she is!

20180823_122521.jpg

20180823_122533.jpg

20180823_115324.jpg

Omg, I LOVE her!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ElysianPeace said:

She’s so cool!!! Her eyes look really good. Her wings are bomb

Thanks!  Eyes are my bane. But she is a large-sized miniature so that helps. I got a little crazy with the eye-white so I thought, hey, eye liner is Egyptian. So that helped to clean up her eyes.

The outside of her wings I used a bronze paint in the wash and on the insides I used a gold so her wings will sparkle in the right light.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, WxCougar said:

Thanks!  Eyes are my bane. But she is a large-sized miniature so that helps. I got a little crazy with the eye-white so I thought, hey, eye liner is Egyptian. So that helped to clean up her eyes.

The outside of her wings I used a bronze paint in the wash and on the insides I used a gold so her wings will sparkle in the right light.

Eyes are hard.  Especially the smaller the mini, the harder they get.  Her eyes look nice.  Feel free to let your freak flag fly on things like those wings.  That's how I ended up with Liz Taylor.

45 minutes ago, WxCougar said:

20180823_122521.jpg

20180823_122533.jpg

20180823_115324.jpg

I love it. I am actually working on the same mini although I have put it on stand by for others. Great work!

3 minutes ago, Konas said:

I love it. I am actually working on the same mini although I have put it on stand by for others. Great work!

Neat. Did you go in for the Bones Kickstarter or get the sphinx afterward?

16 hours ago, WxCougar said:

Neat. Did you go in for the Bones Kickstarter or get the sphinx afterward?

Bones. We get them every year. Yours looks much better than mine. I just can't seem to get the face looking good. It's one of the reasons I pushed it off while I work on new stuff. Started my Monsterpacolypse team yesterday. 

17 hours ago, WxCougar said:

20180823_122521.jpg

20180823_122533.jpg

20180823_115324.jpg

She looks great!!!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, WxCougar said:

All done painting. Next step will be the spray coat protector.

20180824_141637_001.jpg

20180824_141648.jpg

That looks great!  I love your color selection, especially on the base.  All of it looks really authentic.  

12 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

That looks great!  I love your color selection, especially on the base.  All of it looks really authentic.  

Thanks!  I really worried about the base not quite looking right.  I did, however, learn that I need to address mold lines on the Bones. For some reason I keep forgetting about them until after I painted. :).

3 minutes ago, WxCougar said:

Thanks!  I really worried about the base not quite looking right.  I did, however, learn that I need to address mold lines on the Bones. For some reason I keep forgetting about them until after I painted. :).

For bones, do you scrape the mold lines or cut them?  I've heard Bones can kind of tear vs. shave off cleanly.

Just now, Zoxe said:

For bones, do you scrape the mold lines or cut them?  I've heard Bones can kind of tear vs. shave off cleanly.

I haven't actually done anything with them.  Partly because I don't know how to do it without it doing what you mention, and partly because I just plain forget about them.  I don't seem to have that forgetful nature with the pewter minis for some reason.

I did however have one obnoxious mold line at the base of one of the rocks that I just cut with scissors and repainted. But you can still see the actual mold line.

Partly as a reminder for me, and partly for others in case you missed it.  Village Attacks partnering to show tutorials for painting the game's minis.

Painting tutorials 

As many of you will receiving your games in the coming weeks, we know some of you will be keen to get painting the miniatures. 

With this in mind we have teamed up with YouTube's 'Heroes and Bosses' who have agreed to run a series of painting tutorials on the the key characters within the game. They will also show you how to create custom bases.

https://youtu.be/Rg7GfmUag08 https://youtu.be/r2XzITfw0mc

Already live and online are videos on painting The Wendigo miniature and its accompanying custom base. The Krampus will also be available in about one week's time. 

On 9/16/2018 at 10:22 AM, RomyCat said:

@WxCougar, awesome Spinx.  

@Barb, you have an great rat invasion. 

The rats are almost done now.  The agent and the boss for the mob I posted here are done sans varnish.  The larger group of rats are done, but I haven't gotten the camera out.  The roaming monster is rounding the final turn.  What a pain in the butt that guy has been.  There is always something in the way.

Edited by Barb Bliss

I just got a notice that the most recent Bones KS will be shipping soon and I'm not ready to receive another few hundred minis into my house 

avalanche dat GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Lindsey said:

I just got a notice that the most recent Bones KS will be shipping soon and I'm not ready to receive another few hundred minis into my house 

avalanche dat GIF

That's exactly what I thought about Village Attacks!  I'll be putting on a little bit of paint onto the roaming rat, and wash/scrub some of the lizards.

• Haha 1