Konas

Miniature Painting

13 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

Still needs a seal coat, but my latest Massive Darkness monster.  I kind of like him.  You don't want to know how many coats of different colors and washes and dry brushes.  I'm still debating on whether to add some more details (like on his blemishes and bumps).  Part of me wants to add eyes, and part of me thinks that will ruin it.

image.png.2be9a754fe4aa739e661bb6dbc42dbf2.png

image.thumb.png.6a15c53bb0062cf8bc158ac278f477a9.png

I agree with @Konas .... that's a great color blend. Well done! 😉

You can certainly stop there and be proud, but of you wanted to make the face pop more another wash would maybe help.  A trick I've been playing with lately is to apply the wash selectively and use a second, damp/clean brush to move the pigment around and fade away the line where the wash starts.

But like I said, up to you!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Zoxe said:

I agree with @Konas .... that's a great color blend. Well done! 😉

You can certainly stop there and be proud, but of you wanted to make the face pop more another wash would maybe help.  A trick I've been playing with lately is to apply the wash selectively and use a second, damp/clean brush to move the pigment around and fade away the line where the wash starts.

But like I said, up to you!

I recently got some yellow wash.  I was thinking of trying that.  I'll give your clean/damp brush a whirl.  Thanks for the tip.

I also have some yellow glaze, but I'll probably be too afraid to try that,, but a little glaze eyeball with the yellow wash could be epic.  I wish I had something to practice on.

Edited by Barb Bliss
  • Like 1

Would you all have any interest in Plinthes made out of our fanciest woods? One of our woodworkers was messing around and came up with some beauties. They'd be very cheap.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Konas said:

Would you all have any interest in Plinthes made out of our fanciest woods? One of our woodworkers was messing around and came up with some beauties. They'd be very cheap.

Is that "pretentious" for base boards?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

I recently got some yellow wash.  I was thinking of trying that.  I'll give your clean/damp brush a whirl.  Thanks for the tip.

I also have some yellow glaze, but I'll probably be too afraid to try that, but a little glaze eyeball with the yellow wash could be epic.  I wish I had something to practice on.

I did a little work on the demon last night.  I put a fine layer of blue into the mouth to make it appear to have more depth.  The results were meh.  I put in a little dab of yellow glaze into the eyeball area and let it pool.  Then yellow washed around the eyes a little.  That turned out pretty well.

Edited by Barb Bliss
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Barb Bliss said:

Is that "pretentious" for base boards?

They are taller than a simple base, like an inch and a half. It is more for display minis than use. A lot of people use them for busts. Like this

13e980e6ba8bae69300163662b2b8956.jpg

Just now, Barb Bliss said:

I did a little work on the demon last night.  I put a fine layer of blue into the mouth to make it appear to have more depth.  The results were meh.  I put in a little dab of yellow glaze into the eyeball are and let it pool.  Then yellow washed around the eyes a little.  That turned out pretty well.

Nice. I did some work myself. Pics when I am done. It is a very cool model I am working on. He's a Spartan!

cbari10-maximus-thermopylae.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Konas said:

They are taller than a simple base, like an inch and a half. It is more for display minis than use. A lot of people use them for busts. Like this

13e980e6ba8bae69300163662b2b8956.jpg

Nice bust!  Maybe later on.  Right now, I'm just painting game components, and not sure how my skills would scale up.

8 minutes ago, Konas said:

Nice. I did some work myself. Pics when I am done. It is a very cool model I am working on. He's a Spartan!

cbari10-maximus-thermopylae.jpg

Metal or resin?  How big?  How much assembly required?  Can't seem to find any specs on this guy.

45 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Metal or resin?  How big?  How much assembly required?  Can't seem to find any specs on this guy.

He's metal. A bit bigger than standard. I think he's 33mm. Standard is 28mm. I love the pose. I am going to use him for a character in the Pathfinder Playtest. An older grizzled gladiator.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Thanks.  I saw somewhere that it comes with a few cards...

Yeah, it is an alt sculpt for their game Arristeia. Picked it up at GenCon. It is a very cool little miniature skirmish game. It is basically a game show in the future.

Stupid Amazon.  I bought my rats and lizards minis on 8/10 with a delivery window of 8/16-8/21.  Well it's 8/16 and it hasn't even shipped yet.  So much for getting it for Sunday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Konas said:

Yes!  

OK, after an "eye tuck" and some work around the mouth.  Apparently the eye glaze sagged a little.  😠  I guess I'll try another drop of glaze in the eye sockets.  This time maybe I'll use blue glaze so the stand out a little more???  I also put a burnt red on the "bumps" (a little too subtle, but didn't want them to stand out), and put some flesh wash on his abs and swirled it around a tad (that turned out really well).  

Before:

image.png.5d14196de9126d7099d30ec0daf5110b.png

After:

image.thumb.png.6a5e7643c28c85670d81fa597ab1a122.png

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Zoe said:

That is looking AWESOME! Wow!

I just put in the blue glaze in, and have him lying on his back.  Please don't sag!

17 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

I just put in the blue glaze in, and have him lying on his back.  Please don't sag!

It sagged a minute amount.  If I had really been thinking, I would have laid him on his stomach.

Here is my Gladiator. About 66% done. I am trying to make him look a little grizzled. Dirty cape. Worn out shield. Too much? Still need to glue him up after finishing.

20180817_065736.jpg

20180817_065750.jpg

• Like 5

I love the dirty cape. That's a nice touch.

1 hour ago, Zoe said:

I love the dirty cape. That's a nice touch.

Ditto, but I would have given him some green.  P.S. Sparta warriors used bronze armor 🙂

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

Ditto, but I would have given him some green.  P.S. Sparta warriors used bronze armor 🙂

I care not about historical accuracy. Hah!

Here's my 2nd to last Massive Darkness monster: Hellsbane (WIP)  Note: this guy has had a ton of direction changes.  First set to of layers ended up looking like rock.  So then I added yellow wash and it ended up looking better, but also looking like a lizard.  So I added a grey wash, and he's looking like the card, and not like a lizard anymore.  p.s. on the back side picture, you can see where I dumped over my bottle of copper.  smh

image.thumb.png.3651d7ae1c31e1a7daaeea824027b992.png

image.thumb.png.da941e231b18221aaed499498d99d5af.png

image.png.ddd675abf274d7644bc8ad38a064c5e2.png

• Like 3

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:07 PM, Barb Bliss said:

Here's my 2nd to last Massive Darkness monster: Hellsbane (WIP)  Note: this guy has had a ton of direction changes.  First set to of layers ended up looking like rock.  So then I added yellow wash and it ended up looking better, but also looking like a lizard.  So I added a grey wash, and he's looking like the card, and not like a lizard anymore.  p.s. on the back side picture, you can see where I dumped over my bottle of copper.  smh

image.thumb.png.3651d7ae1c31e1a7daaeea824027b992.png

image.thumb.png.da941e231b18221aaed499498d99d5af.png

image.png.ddd675abf274d7644bc8ad38a064c5e2.png

Nice work. I like the axe head quite a bit. And the horns are fantastic

• Thanks 1