Konas

Miniature Painting

Finished my first two Arena Rex figures! Just need to finish two or three more figures and I can head out to the game store and start challenging people! 

IMG_0359.JPG

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Dean McQuay said:

Here I am...”VROCK” you like a Hurricane!

3418CB7A-FF77-4CE4-8742-8209E0BB31F0.jpeg

0D9AEFBE-1086-4FAB-B195-27655074AC96.jpeg

6BF881B4-4C67-4FBB-BA97-388FA3D7BD15.jpeg

1C657394-5A35-48D7-8C0B-7735B1439D2D.jpeg

hurricane GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lindsey said:

Nice dry brushing on the wings!

I was gonna say the same thing!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dean McQuay said:

I dig these. Nice work. How did you do the ground effects?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Konas said:

I dig these. Nice work. How did you do the ground effects?

Thanks! Well, once the Vrocks were done, here's how I finished the bases... 

I painted the bases black.  Once dry, I used regular old white glue (which I watered down to a bit of a thinner consistency) to glue on the modeling sand. Then on the Red Vrock I added the headless skeleton model with it's legs in the "lava". Once the sand was dry & excess brushed off, I painted in the "lava" (layered paint job, in order, was a very dark red... a "regular" shade of red... orange... then yellow).  Then, finally, I brushed a Black Wash on the sand.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dean McQuay said:

Thanks! Well, once the Vrocks were done, here's how I finished the bases... 

I painted the bases black.  Once dry, I used regular old white glue (which I watered down to a bit of a thinner consistency) to glue on the modeling sand. Then on the Red Vrock I added the headless skeleton model with it's legs in the "lava". Once the sand was dry & excess brushed off, I painted in the "lava" (layered paint job, in order, was a very dark red... a "regular" shade of red... orange... then yellow).  Then, finally, I brushed a Black Wash on the sand.

Cool. So you left the glue off of the spots where the lava would be? I get it. Very nice.

On 5/3/2018 at 8:27 AM, Lindsey said:

Finished my first two Arena Rex figures! Just need to finish two or three more figures and I can head out to the game store and start challenging people! 

IMG_0359.JPG

Talk more about this please.  What is Arena Rex? 

13 hours ago, Dean McQuay said:

Great color choices, which for me is always the hardest part.  

What game system / line are these from?  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Zoxe said:

Great color choices, which for me is always the hardest part.  

What game system / line are these from?  

Thanks! They are from the Bones line of Reaper Miniatures.  I'm using them in the D&D 5th Ed. "Out of the Abyss" campaign I'm running.

Edited by Dean McQuay
misspelled word

12 hours ago, Zoxe said:

Talk more about this please.  What is Arena Rex? 

Arena Rex is a super fun casual skirmish game of Gladiators. I've been borrowing @Konas minis for the last year but I finally have my own! The rules are really light and the gameplay is short but the minis are probably the highest quality of all the miniature war games I play. Maybe with the exception of AOS. 

The best part of the game is the rampaging monsters and animals!

Check it out https://arenarex.com/

IMG_0374.jpg.419c2ca8d45818962d1cfe93b2a39729.jpgIMG_0373.jpg.24b76f4e20270a1195243a0533efcc6d.jpg

In progress Tortle mini for my new 5E campaign! Tried a new technique for a worn leather look and I'm really happy with how it turned out. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Lindsey said:

IMG_0374.jpg.419c2ca8d45818962d1cfe93b2a39729.jpgIMG_0373.jpg.24b76f4e20270a1195243a0533efcc6d.jpg

In progress Tortle mini for my new 5E campaign! Tried a new technique for a worn leather look and I'm really happy with how it turned out. 

OH MY GOSH SHE'S DONE AND I LOVE HER

• Like 1

Her li'l shell shield in particular is my favorite part, I think. It looks awesome.

• Like 2

Just now, Zoe said:

Her li'l shell shield in particular is my favorite part, I think. It looks awesome.

Thanks! She's really taken the turtle theme to its ultimate level. 

Seeing all these pictures is making me want to get back into painting again. Which is good as I have 3 kickstarters worth of Bones miniatures to paint still : ).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WxCougar said:

Seeing all these pictures is making me want to get back into painting again. Which is good as I have 3 kickstarters worth of Bones miniatures to paint still : ).

Did you get the newest one? I still am waiting on it

moone boy waiting GIF by HULU

15 minutes ago, Lindsey said:

Did you get the newest one? I still am waiting on it

moone boy waiting GIF by HULU

Yup, I backed #4 also, but we just picked up a few minis that we really wanted like the ship and large dragon. 

Out of reactions to show how awesome I think the projects are looking here. School is about out for me and I’m going to work on catching up on my painting.  Ya’ll so make me want to pick up a brush.

Finally started painting again today. Don't have any finish work to show. Mainly did a wood cart (it looks awesome once the wash was added), a couple of tree stumps (I didn't use a primer and I'm worried about long term use for them), and worked on some fences which are not completed yet.  

I'm out of primer and need to buy some. I have some more tree stumps, beds, and cabinets from one company whose name I can't forgot. I couldn't remember if they come pre-primed are not. That is what I get for buying the miniatures in the fall and waiting till summer to paint them. Some of my miniatures from other companies do come pre-primed which is very helpful. I don't have to prime any of my Reaper miniatures or those from the Deep Cuts Wizkids series.  

• Like 2