Konas

Miniature Painting

3 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

This picture is someone else's.  See above for mine.

Ugh. Sorry, busy day. I feel like I am all over the place. My statement still holds true though. Your best work. Is he a little bigger than a standard mini. Seems like you work is stronger maybe due to the size. Or at least the fact that there's larger spaces to work in. Your blending is excellent. I repeat my demand!

4 minutes ago, Konas said:

Ugh. Sorry, busy day. I feel like I am all over the place. My statement still holds true though. Your best work. Is he a little bigger than a standard mini. Seems like you work is stronger maybe due to the size. Or at least the fact that there's larger spaces to work in. Your blending is excellent. I repeat my demand!

He's bigger than the "mob" minis, but not as big as the cliffbreaker cyclops.  I did much more wet blending on this one to get the fire look I wanted.  I also added metal iridescent paints to yellow and orange iridescent paints.  About the same size as Liz Taylor.

Edited by Barb Bliss
  • Like 1

Oof da.  I started painting my unicorn monster last night.  I laced the white paint with a ton of pearl iridescence.  The body looks awesome!  Real magicie.

On 3/10/2018 at 12:34 PM, Barb Bliss said:

Oof da.  I started painting my unicorn monster last night.  I laced the white paint with a ton of pearl iridescence.  The body looks awesome!  Real magicie.

I wanna see it!!!

1 minute ago, Zoe said:

I wanna see it!!!

I didn't get a chance to paint since then.  It's still sitting there!

On 3/12/2018 at 7:27 AM, Zoe said:

I wanna see it!!!

It took a while to complete.  My elbow has been giving me the finger for about a month.  I debated on eye color for a little while.  As this "monster" only goes postal on you if attacked, it didn't seem right to give her demon eyes.

image.thumb.png.8d0505aea5ea41bf0d8bc3d2cec0361c.png

image.png.6ed952dd53014dfaee1810ff3cc6820d.png

• Like 5

I finally finished the guy that I used as a beta test for my hell hound.  The flame turned out not too bad given how many coats of "trial runs" are on that torch.

image.png.9d78c5a476f40649fc295fdb57e5019e.png image.png.d1efe0fcc307196bf2ec6ffdce5c8946.png

These guys were just sitting there waiting for some varnish to be applied...  Not to enthused about them and it kind of shows.

image.png.b4c6ba36916c6c240a7bf951f6c5bc76.png

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

It took a while to complete.  My elbow has been giving me the finger for about a month.  I debated on eye color for a little while.  As this "monster" only goes postal on you if attacked, it didn't seem right to give her demon eyes.

image.thumb.png.8d0505aea5ea41bf0d8bc3d2cec0361c.png

image.png.6ed952dd53014dfaee1810ff3cc6820d.png

I love her!!! Omg!!!

Also, re: your elbow, try to make sure you aren't resting on it directly when you're on the computer, painting, driving, etc. Rest on your forearms. There's a few points around the elbow that will lead to tendonitis if you put pressure on it too often for too long.

2 minutes ago, Zoe said:

I love her!!! Omg!!!

Also, re: your elbow, try to make sure you aren't resting on it directly when you're on the computer, painting, driving, etc. Rest on your forearms. There's a few points around the elbow that will lead to tendonitis if you put pressure on it too often for too long.

Thanks for the tip.  Mostly I do rest on my forearms and elbows way too much.  This last round of pain was from having broken it previously, knocking it out of alignment by all the painting, and the bad weather.

55 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Thanks for the tip.  Mostly I do rest on my forearms and elbows way too much.  This last round of pain was from having broken it previously, knocking it out of alignment by all the painting, and the bad weather.

Eeesh! That's not fun at all. Be gentle with yourself!

Just now, Zoe said:

Eeesh! That's not fun at all. Be gentle with yourself!

Too late for that warning.  You kind of remind me of my mom, saying be careful after I've smacked my head. 😊

• Haha 1

Just now, Barb Bliss said:

Too late for that warning.  You kind of remind me of my mom, saying be careful after I've smacked my head. 😊

That's so that she doesn't have to smack you again! :D

• Haha 1

Got some good painting in this weekend. Working on some orcs from Reaper's Bones line. They don't recommend priming them but I do. It works much better. I am most proud of the freehand tattoo on the first guy's shoulder

mini 1.jpg

Mini 2.jpg

mini 3.jpg

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

I don't mean to be needy, but I've been waiting for @Zoxe and @RomyCat to comment on my unicorn.  Maybe it's the gin...

Edited by Barb Bliss

Sorry @Barb Bliss -- Scrolling up, I thought I replied but there's nothing there.  I also thought I replied to @Konas on his work above, but it's also apparent the interwebs ate that response too (I'm blaming my phone and crummy cell signal in my new area at work).  

Yes, the unicorn came out great!  Looking at it, I can only imagine that the pearl and translucent colors would be a challenge to get down evenly.  Should be a nice contrast with the rest of your Massive Darkness set.  Mrs. Zoxe actually has a collectible porcelain unicorn figure that uses nearly the same colors.

Konas:  Your green goblins came out really well. I also like the tats.  The DIE on the fingers made me laugh.  :)

Here's me:  I'm currently working - very slowly - on a sort-of-diorama that will be my entry into one (of two planned) contests at GenCon this year.  It's not as much of a diorama as it is a set of figures painted in the same thematic scheme, that will be collected on the same wooden base.  The theme SHOULD be readily apparent once the gang is painted up and presented together, but they'll still be fully separable and playable afterwards.  Right now I'm doing assembly and gap filling on the two bigger figures.  More pics as I get a little closer.

• Like 1

Konas, your orc looks awesome. Once summer comes I plan to do a lot of painting again, Been waiting to do so for several months but so many things need doing. I’m counting down the days to summer. 18 for students and 20 for us teachers.

Barb, your unicorn looks lovely. I wished I had one in my collection. Is yours a stand-alone or come with a specific game?

32 minutes ago, RomyCat said:

Barb, your unicorn looks lovely. I wished I had one in my collection. Is yours a stand-alone or come with a specific game?

Massive Darkness.  If you leave him alone, he'll leave you alone.  But if you mess with him, he's devastating.  

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:23 PM, Zoxe said:

Sorry @Barb Bliss -- Scrolling up, I thought I replied but there's nothing there.  I also thought I replied to @Konas on his work above, but it's also apparent the interwebs ate that response too (I'm blaming my phone and crummy cell signal in my new area at work).  

Yes, the unicorn came out great!  Looking at it, I can only imagine that the pearl and translucent colors would be a challenge to get down evenly.  Should be a nice contrast with the rest of your Massive Darkness set.  Mrs. Zoxe actually has a collectible porcelain unicorn figure that uses nearly the same colors.

Konas:  Your green goblins came out really well. I also like the tats.  The DIE on the fingers made me laugh.  :)

Here's me:  I'm currently working - very slowly - on a sort-of-diorama that will be my entry into one (of two planned) contests at GenCon this year.  It's not as much of a diorama as it is a set of figures painted in the same thematic scheme, that will be collected on the same wooden base.  The theme SHOULD be readily apparent once the gang is painted up and presented together, but they'll still be fully separable and playable afterwards.  Right now I'm doing assembly and gap filling on the two bigger figures.  More pics as I get a little closer.

Yes, I would love to see pics of this. Maybe even during the process of building. Up to you. You might not want to put you competition stuff out on the intrawebs.

On 4/29/2018 at 7:23 PM, Zoxe said:

I don't see any pictures.  Perhaps post them on the UDD page.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Konas said:

Yes, I would love to see pics of this. Maybe even during the process of building. Up to you. You might not want to put you competition stuff out on the intrawebs.

Right now there's not much to look at other than fairly standard minis undergoing moldline scraping and gap filling, and a few bags of unassembled resins.  I'm hopeful that I can get some time on them this weekend and get basic assembly done, then do a mock up worthy of some pics.

Edit:  10 hr days at work, then coming home to do yard work.  Hooray spring. *collapse* *faceplant*

Edited by Zoxe
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Zoxe said:

Right now there's not much to look at other than fairly standard minis undergoing moldline scraping and gap filling, and a few bags of unassembled resins.  I'm hopeful that I can get some time on them this weekend and get basic assembly done, then do a mock up worthy of some pics.

Edit:  10 hr days at work, then coming home to do yard work.  Hooray spring. *collapse* *faceplant*

I've got the last 20%, and am not looking forward to it, even after a day off yesterday.