Jump to content
  • Announcements

Konas

Miniature Painting

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Zoxe said:

I like him too!  Though I'm a sucker for metallic robots and machinery in general.  I think the silver turned out well, the brassy yellow is a great color choice, and the shading makes for a great weathering effect. 

 

 

There's actually both brass and bronze.  Oily Steel and silver too.  Not much else other than the eyes.  I figured if I did to much he'd end up looking like later in life Elvis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Banker's Holiday here in the US today.  I couldn't sleep, so I was at the bench at 6:45 this morning with my favorite mug full of coffee and a brush in hand.  At long last, the KDM Watcher is completed!  He's been on the table quite awhile; had trouble mustering sufficient willpower to finish him out.  

I'll be taking a break from the KDM series until kickstarter wave 2 is in hand (sometime in March or April).  I've been doing KDM since early November and am looking forward to something a little different.  

The Watcher is one of my favorite sculpts in the set, but turned into one of my least favorite to assemble and paint.  The dangley lanterns underneath were a challenge (and bobbed around when airbrushed), and all the smooth surfaces really didn't lend itself to my dry brushing technique, but I kept going.

I consider myself pretty new to the hobby - there's a lot of techniques thrown into this last model that I learned while tackling KDM:  Airbrushing, of course.  Filling (Milliput and Vallejo Matt Varnish).  Pinning.  This morning I tried 2-brush weathering on his cloak to give the dark recesses more definition.  

IMG_20180219_115715.jpg

IMG_20180219_115847.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Zoxe said:

Banker's Holiday here in the US today.  I couldn't sleep, so I was at the bench at 6:45 this morning with my favorite mug full of coffee and a brush in hand.  At long last, the KDM Watcher is completed!  He's been on the table quite awhile; had trouble mustering sufficient willpower to finish him out.  

I'll be taking a break from the KDM series until kickstarter wave 2 is in hand (sometime in March or April).  I've been doing KDM since early November and am looking forward to something a little different.  

The Watcher is one of my favorite sculpts in the set, but turned into one of my least favorite to assemble and paint.  The dangley lanterns underneath were a challenge (and bobbed around when airbrushed), and all the smooth surfaces really didn't lend itself to my dry brushing technique, but I kept going.

I consider myself pretty new to the hobby - there's a lot of techniques thrown into this last model that I learned while tackling KDM:  Airbrushing, of course.  Filling (Milliput and Vallejo Matt Varnish).  Pinning.  This morning I tried 2-brush weathering on his cloak to give the dark recesses more definition.  

IMG_20180219_115715.jpg

IMG_20180219_115847.jpg

Very cool. The subtlety of your style shows quite well when they are all together. The highlights really add a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too have had the painting bug recently. Here are some shots of my latest ones from the Cthulhu Wars game. Really cool minis to paint. Plus they are pretty big, which helps my sawdust filled eyes. The yellow one is still a WIP.

20180220_075548.jpg

20180220_075606.jpg

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Zoxe said:

Banker's Holiday here in the US today.  I couldn't sleep, so I was at the bench at 6:45 this morning with my favorite mug full of coffee and a brush in hand.  At long last, the KDM Watcher is completed!  He's been on the table quite awhile; had trouble mustering sufficient willpower to finish him out.  

I'll be taking a break from the KDM series until kickstarter wave 2 is in hand (sometime in March or April).  I've been doing KDM since early November and am looking forward to something a little different.  

The Watcher is one of my favorite sculpts in the set, but turned into one of my least favorite to assemble and paint.  The dangley lanterns underneath were a challenge (and bobbed around when airbrushed), and all the smooth surfaces really didn't lend itself to my dry brushing technique, but I kept going.

I consider myself pretty new to the hobby - there's a lot of techniques thrown into this last model that I learned while tackling KDM:  Airbrushing, of course.  Filling (Milliput and Vallejo Matt Varnish).  Pinning.  This morning I tried 2-brush weathering on his cloak to give the dark recesses more definition.  

 

 

They look great Zoxe.  And I totally get why the Watcher was one of the worst ones for you to assemble (I haven't gotten to painting any of mine yet).

For me the worst was the Gold Smoke Knight without question - he just did NOT want to fit together no matter what I did.  I finally got it together fitting relatively well in most spots -- at the cost of having a HUGE gap in the back/cape.  I'm hoping I can putty that up reasonably.

Compared to that the Watcher went together smoothly, even if it took some careful/tricky handling.  

I don't have an airbrush, so I'm definitely still trying to figure out what I'm going to do for painting them.. but I have liked the sort of monochromatic / statuesque coloring that you (and some other sets I have seen) have done.  I just need to figure out how to do something reasonable like that with brushes as a newbie.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoyed the bank holiday too, though I got a cold over the weekend.  I had Roland and Doug over and we played Lisboa using "my precious".  Pictures in camera to follow.

Edited by Barb Bliss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I've started "The Hellhound".  And I don't want to screw him up.  He is a dog after all.  I made a run to Blick's over my lunch hour.  I got some Vallejo transparent orange, and some Golden paints: Hansa Yellow light, Pyrrole Orange, Iridescent Copper Light (Fine) and Iridescent Silver Light (Fine).  I also have some glaze orange and glaze yellow from when I was painting the Mars planet surface from my first mini attempt.  

If you go to images.google.com and search on "massive darkness hellhound", you'll see other people's attempts.  They aren't knocking my socks off.  Any suggestions other than having @konas do it?

Note: about 2/3 of the way down the list is someone else's "Liz Taylor".  Interesting how we came up such different designs.

Edited by Barb Bliss
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Ok, I've started "The Hellhound".  And I don't want to screw him up.  He is a dog after all.  I made a run to Blick's over my lunch hour.  I got some Vallejo transparent orange, and some Golden paints: Hansa Yellow light, Pyrrole Orange, Iridescent Copper Light (Fine) and Iridescent Silver Light (Fine).  I also have some glaze orange and glaze yellow from when I was painting the Mars planet surface from my first mini attempt.  

If you go to images.google.com and search on "massive darkness hellhound", you'll see other people's attempts.  They aren't knocking my socks off.  Any suggestions other than having @konas do it?

Note: about 2/3 of the way down the list is someone else's "Liz Taylor".  Interesting how we came up such different designs.

This is the closest I've found to something I like.  I want it to pop.

OK.  Wait a minute.  Now I can't paste pics into my posts anymore.  Who changed what?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Barb Bliss said:

This is the closest I've found to something I like.  I want it to pop.

OK.  Wait a minute.  Now I can't paste pics into my posts anymore.  Who changed what?

Hey Barb,

I googled up your Hellhound.  I like the ones with a dark body and flame hair.  A color I use a lot is ArmyPainter Necromancer Cloak.  It's a very dark charcoal that still shows some details when hit with a black wash.  I would probably use that for the body color.  Since the Necromacer cloak is a neutral color, it will let you go pretty wild on the hair/flame without clashing.  

For the flames, I would think about a bright orangey orange basecoat, a dark wash, and then highlights with the orange, reds, and yellows. 

This is a picture of my Brimstone Swamp Slugs that I finished almost a year ago with this color set.  For the hellhound I would use more yellow and maroons.

Just some ideas!  

 

 

IMG_20180222_182909.jpg

Edited by Zoxe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, now I can paste again!  What ever changed, thanks for that.  Below is the one picture that I tried to paste before.  I'm not sure if the Iridescent Copper Light (Fine) highlights would make it too over the top.  I'm also concerned the glazes wouldn't work great and would be hard to recover from if it doesn't work well.

Next question is what color tongue should he have?

image.png.20b9a42a0bb353c1ffd8ebf01bde83c5.png

Edited by Barb Bliss
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Color Tongue?  Hm...red like he is breathing fire.....or blue like the hottest area of fire.

Your coloring looks awesome. I love your flame beast.

I hope to paint again soon. I have been sick five weeks---that's five weeks of pain, deep coughing, and general tiredness. Doc said I have inflammation of the lungs. I am coming out of it now. A lot of teachers and students had the flu or bad colds.  Hopefully the cold season is almost over. You know I'm sick when it begins to interfere with my gaming. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, RomyCat said:

Color Tongue?  Hm...red like he is breathing fire.....or blue like the hottest area of fire.

Your coloring looks awesome. I love your flame beast.

I hope to paint again soon. I have been sick five weeks---that's five weeks of pain, deep coughing, and general tiredness. Doc said I have inflammation of the lungs. I am coming out of it now. A lot of teachers and students had the flu or bad colds.  Hopefully the cold season is almost over. You know I'm sick when it begins to interfere with my gaming. 

This isn't mine.  It's an image I grabbed from Google images.

I got sick again too, but when I first felt symptoms, I ran out and tried Zicam because I saw a commercial about it.  It was supposed to be used at the first sign of symptoms, and it is supposed to stop the cold or cut it in half.  I was kind of glass half empty, but figured it couldn't hurt as I had just come off being sick at the end of January.  Well, I'll tell you @RomyCat, it was amazingly effective for me.  I was on day 1 of symptoms on Saturday.  Sunday morning I went out for snacks for game day, and picked it up.  Today (Thursday), the cold is almost gone!  That beats the 14 days I was sick the last time!  From what I gleaned from the package, it's zinc goo that you rub inside your nose every 3 hours.  I could feel some relief almost immediately.  The only other drugs I used was Mucinix (or how ever you spell it) for 4 days to loosen up the yuck in my sinuses.  Give it a try next time.  2 thumbs up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could try doing a touch of blue at the base of the fire (near the neck) and a few black tips near the end of the mane to show the fire is pouring out from the body. I would totally do a flaming blue tongue! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Barb, I will remember your tip next flu season. 

Then again, maybe I will hide in a bunker deep in the woods for the winter months, so hidden no virus can find me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×