Konas

Miniature Painting

1 hour ago, Zenithsplendor said:

Keep posting. You are doing a great job painting and you should be proud to show them off.

@Barb Bliss seconded.  I don’t do much (any) mini painting these days, so don’t have a lot of specific feedback to offer, but I always come and look when you’ve posted new ones.  I’m especially looking forward to your Grimm Forest mini paintings!

7 minutes ago, LuckyIke said:

@Barb Bliss seconded.  I don’t do much (any) mini painting these days, so don’t have a lot of specific feedback to offer, but I always come and look when you’ve posted new ones.  I’m especially looking forward to your Grimm Forest mini paintings!

Part of me wants to finish up Massive Darkness, but part of me wants to dig into the pigs.  I was going to name them.  Let me know what you think of the names.

1. purple pig - Petunia
  2. green pig - Mike  (if you see the pigs, you'll get the reference)
  3. orange pig - Mason
  4. blue pig - Pickles (first name thrown out by Jeremie)
Edited by Barb Bliss
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Part of me wants to finish up Massive Darkness, but part of me wants to dig into the pigs.  I was going to name them.  Let me know what you think of the names.

1. purple pig - Petunia
  2. green pig - Mike  (if you see the pigs, you'll get the reference)
  3. orange pig - Mason
  4. blue pig - Pickles (first name thrown out by Jeremie)

Haha perfect! For the record everyone, he’s a lumberjack pig, and I’m assuming @Barb Bliss is not naming that one after him because it’s the best drinker or anything.

2 minutes ago, LuckyIke said:

Haha perfect! For the record everyone, he’s a lumberjack pig, and I’m assuming @Barb Bliss is not naming that one after him because it’s the best drinker or anything.

No I wouldn't do that!  Not sure what pickles has to do with hay, but it sort of does look like a pickles pig.

3 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

Do people still want to see the new ones I complete?  There doesn't appear to be much interest, and it takes time to take/post the pictures.  If people are interested, I'll keep posting them, but if not, I won't.

I'm with the others - keep posting.  9_99_9

Has been crunch week at work, so I've not been active here in terms of posting/reacting.  Mostly coming home and collapsing (though I did get a little painting in last night).  But even though I'm not being verbose about your posts, I'm still able to check in on the phone while hustling from one meeting to another and daydream a bit before I go heads down into the next session.

3 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

I'm with the others - keep posting.  9_99_9

Has been crunch week at work, so I've not been active here in terms of posting/reacting.  Mostly coming home and collapsing (though I did get a little painting in last night).  But even though I'm not being verbose about your posts, I'm still able to check in on the phone while hustling from one meeting to another and daydream a bit before I go heads down into the next session.

I had a year like that too.  I was averaging 74 hours a week.  When I worked only 4 hours on Sunday, it felt like a vacation day.  I felt like that Dunkin Donuts ad.  "Time to make the donuts."  On the plus side, I was hourly at that time, so when my mechanic guy said I needed new tires, I was like "No problem.  Here's my credit card."  Didn't even bat and eye.

I'm debating whether to start painting now before the game (starts in 2 hours) or take a nap.  I'll probably only stay awake for the first half if I don't have a nap.  But there is a recorder, so maybe I just watch part of the game.  It will either be a blow out or it will be aggravating to me, so maybe painting now is the way to go.

Edited by Barb Bliss

I love seeing all the minis Barb and others have posted here. Keep them coming. I will soon take to painting again—been sick with the flu for 3 weeks and it has been cold here.

9 hours ago, RomyCat said:

I love seeing all the minis Barb and others have posted here. Keep them coming. I will soon take to painting again—been sick with the flu for 3 weeks and it has been cold here.

I hope you feel better soon.  3 weeks is a long time to be under the weather.

12 hours ago, Barb Bliss said:

I had a year like that too.  I was averaging 74 hours a week.  When I worked only 4 hours on Sunday, it felt like a vacation day.  I felt like that Dunkin Donuts ad.  "Time to make the donuts."  On the plus side, I was hourly at that time, so when my mechanic guy said I needed new tires, I was like "No problem.  Here's my credit card."  Didn't even bat and eye.

I'm debating whether to start painting now before the game (starts in 2 hours) or take a nap.  I'll probably only stay awake for the first half if I don't have a nap.  But there is a recorder, so maybe I just watch part of the game.  It will either be a blow out or it will be aggravating to me, so maybe painting now is the way to go.

I ended up doing a little more painting AND staying up to watch a game that really aggravated me.  I'm kind of bleary today.  And it's my long day today too boot.  Sometimes bowling is fun, but some times  I just want it to end so I can go home.

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:35 AM, Barb Bliss said:

I ended up doing a little more painting AND staying up to watch a game that really aggravated me.  I'm kind of bleary today.  And it's my long day today too boot.  Sometimes bowling is fun, but some times  I just want it to end so I can go home.

I fell asleep at 9pm last night and it was a blessing. I can actually open my eyes when I am on the tablesaw...which is extremely helpful.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Konas said:

I fell asleep at 9pm last night and it was a blessing. I can actually open my eyes when I am on the tablesaw...which is extremely helpful.

Glad you got some sleep.  Sadly, 9pm is when I go to bed most work nights.  That 4:30 am alarm comes around pretty quickly.

Bowling was a disaster last night.  We bowled against the worst team, and got swept.  I beat my average by 1 pin once, came within sniffing distance once, and was 30 pins under the middle game, and I was by far the best bowler on the team for the night.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Konas said:

Yes, yes it is.  I remember my days of working with power tools for like 40 hours straight with no sleep.  Not my best work by the end of it :)

Back in college theater tech days 25+ years ago.

• Like 1

Update from Druid City had some Grimm Forest pig minis pictures.  The first is what I was calling Pickles, but I'm thinking maybe Strawberry would be better.  The second one is what I was calling Mason.  I don't think I have the patience for those bases.

image.png.c83580b2353ae68149a6517696f9c9d9.png

image.png.d549f6b3c2b4ba5766080d56c09e4ec5.png

5 hours ago, Zenithsplendor said:

I wouldn't have the patience to paint the bases either. But they do look amazing. And my vote would be for Pickles.

No expert here, but the way they've done it, it's really not that bad and pretty fun (if you're only doing a few figures....).  We did a base similar to that for one of Mrs. Zoxe's dioramas.  You put down a base color, then spread PVA glue with a brush and dunk the base in a bin of the colored flock.  Give it another coat of thinned glue to adhere. 

I think they stopped there and let the flock stay its natural color, but you can paint it, ink it, and dry brush it to ensure a consistent look.  The yellow flowers are likely pluck-and-place intended for HO scale railroads.

I have a project in mind for one of the the GenCon painting competitions where more of this will be necessary.  I'm waiting on one more figure to arrive, and am in analysis paralysis about which bases to use, but will be moving on it in late spring and early summer to be ready by August.

I skimmed youtube for a quick video, here's what I found in a few minutes:  

• Like 3

More Kingdom Death.  I finally finished the initial set of 8 survivors/heroes for the game.  It's been interesting to try to recreate the process that I did on the original 4 figures back in November.  You'll see that I did get brighter as I went through the set; that's kind of intentional.  The first four heroes start in a very dark world.

More pictures here:  https://zoxes.blogspot.com/2018/02/hot-off-desk-kdm-intimacy-survivors.html

IMG_20180210_083024.thumb.jpg.07834b14379155b3a6b4a79c9f2bdf05.jpg

IMG_20180210_083233.jpg

• Like 3

Great paint job, Zoxe. Your colors match the dark, gloomy theme of the game well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Troglodyte mob.  I would pick the one with some green slopped on his knee that I forgot to touch up.  smh

image.png.4990e635a63159113ba01b004a04680d.png 

image.png.4481669245bf8e98e8d4249bfc239a6d.png

Weretiger.  I had a lot of fun with this guy.  I was going to put the tiger stripes on him, but was afraid I would dork him up.

image.png.cd162f475f4ffdb261fc51e71c40af7f.png

image.png.48f041ccddff20ff5a0cb58cac12e44d.png

image.png.788929fb2b78f9f1722aa626963a4726.png

Iron Golem - boring compared to the tiger.  Dantonio photo bomb in 2nd picture

image.thumb.png.1915b7d675fd129baf08c773fef60b8a.png

image.png.9ec30f8a91b249b3d824ff0ccd4b97fc.png

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Lindsey said:

I think the Iron Golem might be my favorite mini that you've done so far!

Really?  Huh.  I actually like the "animal" minis best.  Liz Taylor, were whatevers, etc.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Really?  Huh.  I actually like the "animal" minis best.  Liz Taylor, were whatevers, etc.

I agree! Animal minis are usually my favorite but for whatever reason I'm just really digging that golem today haha

2 minutes ago, Lindsey said:

I agree! Animal minis are usually my favorite but for whatever reason I'm just really digging that golem today haha

I guess you have a soft spot in your heart for men of steel.  :P

I think I spent more time on the tiger's cape than the entire golem...

Edited by Barb Bliss
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Lindsey said:

I think the Iron Golem might be my favorite mini that you've done so far!

I like him too!  Though I'm a sucker for metallic robots and machinery in general.  I think the silver turned out well, the brassy yellow is a great color choice, and the shading makes for a great weathering effect. 

• Like 2

Those look cool, Barb. I must admit, that robot grabs my attention. Makes me want to paint a bot but I don't have one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RomyCat said:

Those look cool, Barb. I must admit, that robot grabs my attention. Makes me want to paint a bot but I don't have one.

He's flashy all right, but I'm most proud of the pants on the mob.  They've got about 8 layers to them, including zombie blood.  The ripped pant falling down so the inside shows were a challenge.

Next up are some goblin archers.  There are 20 of those suckers.  I'm sure to be sick and tired of them by the time I get them all done.  After them, a flaming lion!  No clue how I'm going to attack that one.