Sign in to follow this  
Konas

Miniature Painting

A place to post any questions about the hobby and to post pics of your work.

This is the first bust I have ever attempted. It is about 80% done with some more work needed on the Goblin Rider.

20171004_181823.jpg

• Like 2

Here's a bust I recently finished for an upcoming competition. It was my first time really focusing on skin tones and facial shading using cool and hot colors. Oh and I snagged a scrap of Bocote from work for the base. 

man 4.JPG

man1.JPG

man 3.JPG

man 2.JPG

• Like 2

Here's my most recently finished mini. It's Hroke from Arena Rex, which we just started playing. The game is really fun and casual but the minis are made of a resin that is probably the closest to pro painting competition quality that I've seen for a miniature game. 

horse2.JPG

horse3.JPG

horse4.JPG

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lindsey said:

Here's a bust I recently finished for an upcoming competition. It was my first time really focusing on skin tones and facial shading using cool and hot colors. Oh and I snagged a scrap of Bocote from work for the base. 

man 4.JPG

man1.JPG

man 3.JPG

man 2.JPG

Those shadows look great! Especially right around the temples, it all flows together very nicely.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Blinkus Maximus said:

Those shadows look great! Especially right around the temples, it all flows together very nicely.

Awww thanks! I probably put around 10-15 hours into that one so much of it was trial and error. Messing around until something looked good. Hopefully the next one will go a little bit quicker. 

• Like 2

Holy crap to all of you! As someone who completely missed this artistic gene, I am blown away by these. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Lindsey said:

Awww thanks! I probably put around 10-15 hours into that one so much of it was trial and error. Messing around until something looked good. Hopefully the next one will go a little bit quicker. 

Nice!  If I remember, I'll get Drew to take a picture of my treasure chest(s) on Sunday.

Edited by Barb Bliss
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Konas said:

This is the first bust I have ever attempted. It is about 80% done with some more work needed on the Goblin Rider.

I think painting something like this would give me restless night sleeps.  I mean, more than usual.

2 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

I think painting something like this would give me restless night sleeps.  I mean, more than usual.

Why is that? It's not that scary of a sculpt, is it? Or are your referring to my poor painting skills...keep in mind that woodworkers tend to have fewer fingers than average.

Just now, Konas said:

Why is that? It's not that scary of a sculpt, is it? Or are your referring to my poor painting skills...keep in mind that woodworkers tend to have fewer fingers than average.

It's scary to me (the sculpt, not the paint job).  You have at least 9.5 fingers though, right?  that should be plenty.

Just now, Barb Bliss said:

It's scary to me (the sculpt, not the paint job).  You have at least 9.5 fingers though, right?  that should be plenty.

Actually its more like 9.25 fingers...

Just now, Konas said:

Actually its more like 9.25 fingers...

That might be pushing it a little.  I'll give you the sympathy 10 out of 10 then :-)

I recently got into minis through Kingdom Death: Monster.  The painting terrifies me.  Especially on some of the more complex heroes and monsters.  Will have to put up a few pics of some of my completed ones.  Strictly amateur paint work though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JWeaver13 said:

I recently got into minis through Kingdom Death: Monster.  The painting terrifies me.  Especially on some of the more complex heroes and monsters.  Will have to put up a few pics of some of my completed ones.  Strictly amateur paint work though.

It can be intimidating.  Hence the start with treasure chests :-)

25 minutes ago, JWeaver13 said:

Hold on to one of them and keep it close to your painting area. First minis a really good way to remind yourself where you started, and also to see how far you've come when you feel like you haven't improved or can't improve.

And now that I'm home, this is my current project.

Please ignore the skin, as it looks awful because I still have no idea what I want to do with it. Steel also needs work and the feather trim on the cloak is only undercoated and shaded. Still a little to do on the cloak too, as I'm not completely happy with it yet.

Hopefully soon I'll be happy enough with her to get that Dragon Sheath for her to ride to game night in.

20171005_175357_Burst05.jpg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Blinkus Maximus said:

And now that I'm home, this is my current project.

Please ignore the skin, as it looks awful because I still have no idea what I want to do with it. Steel also needs work and the feather trim on the cloak is only undercoated and shaded. Still a little to do on the cloak too, as I'm not completely happy with it yet.

Hopefully soon I'll be happy enough with her to get that Dragon Sheath for her to ride to game night in.

Beautiful!

• Like 1

Blinkus Maximus, she looks awesome. If any of mine come out even half that good, I will be happy.  Konos and Lindsey, both of your also look cool. All of you have talent...and not just with wood.

As I am trying to figure out the best way to get started with painting, I have several questions.  I have watched videos and read different discussions about paints. I am currently considering buying Reaper's beginning kit to get started.  Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NTMC49G/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I14QLGE8AH8B2B&colid=1VCH329LILIYU

Does Reaper make good paint? I noticed this kit is missing the primary color of red. Does anyone have other suggestions for what a beginner should buy? I know I will need some type of primer and sealer. What are your suggestions for what I should purchase? 

• Like 1

Just now, RomyCat said:

Blinkus Maximus, she looks awesome. If any of mine come out even half that good, I will be happy.  Konos and Lindsey, both of your also look cool. All of you have talent...and not just with wood.

As I am trying to figure out the best way to get started with painting, I have several questions.  I have watched videos and read different discussions about paints. I am currently considering buying Reaper's beginning kit to get started.  Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NTMC49G/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I14QLGE8AH8B2B&colid=1VCH329LILIYU

Does Reaper make good paint? I noticed this kit is missing the primary color of red. Does anyone have other suggestions for what a beginner should buy? I know I will need some type of primer and sealer. What are your suggestions for what I should purchase? 

So, I know this isn't helpful at all, but what is "good" paint is really personal preference. Most painters love some paints from a company, hate others, and end up with a wide variety of what works for them.

That does have the benefit of making it fine to start with whatever you want, and test out other companies as you buy new colors! 

For Reaper, a lot of people like it. Apparently their line of skin paints is a favorite among many professionals and is highly recommended. Their bottles are also great because they're dropped bottles, so you can be very precise when mixing colors and getting out paint. They're also the only company I know of that puts agitators in every bottle to help it mix better when you shake it (bonus points because its a metal skull). Their kit is a great starting point for mini painters!

9 minutes ago, Barb Bliss said:

Beautiful!

Thank you :)

Thanks for the advice, Blinkus. If I buy it, I will try to pick up an extra red to use. I know I will need all primary colors.

2 minutes ago, Blinkus Maximus said:

So, I know this isn't helpful at all, but what is "good" paint is really personal preference. Most painters love some paints from a company, hate others, and end up with a wide variety of what works for them.

That does have the benefit of making it fine to start with whatever you want, and test out other companies as you buy new colors! 

For Reaper, a lot of people like it. Apparently their line of skin paints is a favorite among many professionals and is highly recommended. Their bottles are also great because they're dropped bottles, so you can be very precise when mixing colors and getting out paint. They're also the only company I know of that puts agitators in every bottle to help it mix better when you shake it (bonus points because its a metal skull). Their kit is a great starting point for mini painters!

Thank you :)

My goal is to have fun, and not be embarrassed when I pull them out.  So far, I've been successful with that. :-)  I'd like to get better though.

• Like 1

Oh, I forgot you asked about Primer, whoops!

There are oh so many choices. First step is deciding if you want brush on or spray. If you live somewhere super humid, hot or cold the sprays can be...difficult.

For brands, unfortunately it is personal preference again, sorry. Citadel is very much love or hate, because their spray primer is just their regular paint in an aerosol can, so it takes SO. MUCH. SHAKING. to make it flow right. Army Painter is pretty good. If you've got extra money then Vallejo is really popular. I use Tamiya because its super cheap and you can buy it in just about every craft store ever.

But technique is the more important part with spray primer. As long as you don't overdo it, you'll be good to go!

5 minutes ago, RomyCat said:

Thanks for the advice, Blinkus. If I buy it, I will try to pick up an extra red to use. I know I will need all primary colors.

No problem, always happy to help!

11 hours ago, Blinkus Maximus said:

Oh, I forgot you asked about Primer, whoops!

There are oh so many choices. First step is deciding if you want brush on or spray. If you live somewhere super humid, hot or cold the sprays can be...difficult.

For brands, unfortunately it is personal preference again, sorry. Citadel is very much love or hate, because their spray primer is just their regular paint in an aerosol can, so it takes SO. MUCH. SHAKING. to make it flow right. Army Painter is pretty good. If you've got extra money then Vallejo is really popular. I use Tamiya because its super cheap and you can buy it in just about every craft store ever.

But technique is the more important part with spray primer. As long as you don't overdo it, you'll be good to go!

No problem, always happy to help!

Your mini looks great! Nice work, especially on the weapon!

I agree with you about primer. Light, thin coats work best.