Sign in to follow this  
yatescory

Tell me more about these games...

Has anyone hear played Imperial Settlers? Or A few Acres of Snow? I have these games but haven't played them and was wondering if they are any good.

31 minutes ago, yatescory said:

Has anyone hear played Imperial Settlers? Or A few Acres of Snow? I have these games but haven't played them and was wondering if they are any good.

Haven't played Imperial Settlers.

I have played a few games of A Few Acres of Snow though.  I will add a caveat that this is a bit of a tactical wargame, which is not my forte.  However if you go through BGG you'll see numerous posts and comments about the flaws in this game - to the point that it has been speculated that the game was taken out of print BECAUSE of the flaws.

Basically the game is seriously flawed as it was originally released.  There were several balance issues including the discovery of an 'unbeatable strategy'.  To my knowledge, these issues have never been addressed in any sort of errata/update to the game.

Now if a new version is coming out - then perhaps these were finally looked at and addressed.  Otherwise I would say pass on it.

52 minutes ago, Thomas Browne said:

Haven't played Imperial Settlers.

I have played a few games of A Few Acres of Snow though.  I will add a caveat that this is a bit of a tactical wargame, which is not my forte.  However if you go through BGG you'll see numerous posts and comments about the flaws in this game - to the point that it has been speculated that the game was taken out of print BECAUSE of the flaws.

Basically the game is seriously flawed as it was originally released.  There were several balance issues including the discovery of an 'unbeatable strategy'.  To my knowledge, these issues have never been addressed in any sort of errata/update to the game.

Now if a new version is coming out - then perhaps these were finally looked at and addressed.  Otherwise I would say pass on it.

Thanks Thomas! Yeah I'm aware of the Halifax hammer broken strategy but haven't read anything about it so I think I'm good as long as I don't look into that. I've heard a lot of people say they played it many many times and never even discovered that strategy until it was posted on BoardGameGeek so for me I'm not too worried about it. What excited me about the game was I heard it was a bit of a deck building war game which isn't my forte either but I thought it would be worth a shot since it's a Martin Wallace design. Definitely appreciate the feedback though.

4 minutes ago, yatescory said:

Thanks Thomas! Yeah I'm aware of the Halifax hammer broken strategy but haven't read anything about it so I think I'm good as long as I don't look into that. I've heard a lot of people say they played it many many times and never even discovered that strategy until it was posted on BoardGameGeek so for me I'm not too worried about it. What excited me about the game was I heard it was a bit of a deck building war game which isn't my forte either but I thought it would be worth a shot since it's a Martin Wallace design. Definitely appreciate the feedback though.

I wasn't aware of teh Halifax strategy either when I tried it.  Even without that, I do think it is still flawed/unbalanced.  But it definitely had some interesting aspects to it that made me WANT to like the game more than I do.

If you are really interested in it, there is an online version of the game on yucata.de if you want to try that before you invest money in it.

I've played Imperial Settlers! It's pretty fun!! I like it a lot and it's definitely been one we go to frequently, although not one of our top favs. It's been probably a year or so since I've played it now, just because we've been getting so many NEW games, but it's hella fun.

Biggest drawback for me is that it's up to 4 players. I say this because while strategy-driven and still requiring thought, it's not as intense or heavy as a game like, say, Scythe! So it's a perfect board game night game for those of us who are tired of playing Evolution or Werewolf for the 50th time, you know? Except that there is usually more than 4 of us splitting off from the other group, because our board game nights are usually 10 or more people. Hahaha, so it's drawback is that it's a great board game for game nights, but you're usually gonna have more than 4 people wanting in on it. :)

I would love to see an expansion for it (maybe there is one, or one in the works, idk) to introduce more faction options. I really only enjoyed two in particular, so if I got one that wasn't one of those, I was kinda bummed. The other ones had strategies that just didn't jive with my playstyle. (In this way, you can see why I like it so much, since I love Scythe! I love differing strategies, asymmetric play, etc.)

17 minutes ago, Zoe said:

I've played Imperial Settlers! It's pretty fun!! I like it a lot and it's definitely been one we go to frequently, although not one of our top favs. It's been probably a year or so since I've played it now, just because we've been getting so many NEW games, but it's hella fun.

Biggest drawback for me is that it's up to 4 players. I say this because while strategy-driven and still requiring thought, it's not as intense or heavy as a game like, say, Scythe! So it's a perfect board game night game for those of us who are tired of playing Evolution or Werewolf for the 50th time, you know? Except that there is usually more than 4 of us splitting off from the other group, because our board game nights are usually 10 or more people. Hahaha, so it's drawback is that it's a great board game for game nights, but you're usually gonna have more than 4 people wanting in on it. :)

I would love to see an expansion for it (maybe there is one, or one in the works, idk) to introduce more faction options. I really only enjoyed two in particular, so if I got one that wasn't one of those, I was kinda bummed. The other ones had strategies that just didn't jive with my playstyle. (In this way, you can see why I like it so much, since I love Scythe! I love differing strategies, asymmetric play, etc.)

Thanks @Zoe!  Actually there are several expansions for the game with new nations to try!  Amazons, atlanteans, and at least a few more other expansions!  Great insight though!  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Thomas Browne said:

I wasn't aware of teh Halifax strategy either when I tried it.  Even without that, I do think it is still flawed/unbalanced.  But it definitely had some interesting aspects to it that made me WANT to like the game more than I do.

If you are really interested in it, there is an online version of the game on yucata.de if you want to try that before you invest money in it.

That is interesting that you feel that way even without it!  Do you remember what exactly you felt was flawed or unbalanced? I'm genuinely curious. Thank you for giving me the feedback!  I love playing online but I'm definitely a real time online player and I think I heard Yucata is more turned based.  

6 minutes ago, yatescory said:

That is interesting that you feel that way even without it!  Do you remember what exactly you felt was flawed or unbalanced? I'm genuinely curious. Thank you for giving me the feedback!  I love playing online but I'm definitely a real time online player and I think I heard Yucata is more turned based.  

You are correct that Yucata is turn based.  Then again, so is A Few Acres :).

It has been several years since I played it - but basically from what I recall it felt that the French were slow to develop/build up - so that there wasn't much you could do against an aggressive Britain.

6 minutes ago, Thomas Browne said:

You are correct that Yucata is turn based.  Then again, so is A Few Acres :).

It has been several years since I played it - but basically from what I recall it felt that the French were slow to develop/build up - so that there wasn't much you could do against an aggressive Britain.

Thanks man!  I'm ok with turned based but most online turned based have timers where people can take hours or even days to make one move.  I like making moves back and forth between each other  with only a few minutes per move at a time . I appreciate the insight on a few Acres of snow and will probably hold off on playing right away.

4 minutes ago, yatescory said:

Thanks man!  I'm ok with turned based but most online turned based have timers where people can take hours or even days to make one move.  I like making moves back and forth between each other  with only a few minutes per move at a time . I appreciate the insight on a few Acres of snow and will probably hold off on playing right away.

Like I said.. it's been a long time since I played it.. and it was never my forte.. although I definitely gave it like a 20 or so play throughs in person and online.

Your mileage may vary :)

Also I am pretty sure that I played the first edition of the game.  I know that there were changes made for a second edition - but that Halifax was still an issue even with those changes.  I don't know if those changes would address any of the other issues I had.